Oddest or Strictest Health Department Regulations?

Author
Noodles on the Loose
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 60
2014/06/21 22:43:14 (permalink)

Oddest or Strictest Health Department Regulations?

It's been awhile since I've been on the board and much has changed.  My hubby's career plans changed, and we are going to be headed south (out of Alaska) within the next year or two at most.   We are planning to head to DC first, but will likely have a few stops over the next few years.  So, I'm building out another truck and want to make sure I can take my truck wherever we end up.  

My truck here was built on a tight budget to meet Alaska's rules, and I'm currently just operating at events in the summer.  Although we have some tight standards, like six sinks if you want to be considered "self-contained", I know that some of what I can do here wouldn't work elsewhere.  

After a few months of watching craigslist, I just found an adorable 1962 GMC Grumman Olson Kurbside with 61K original miles.  She meets DC's requirement of being under 18 1/2 foot, which gives me a 10' by 6.5' kitchen. The box is all aluminum and in great shape.  I'm planning on all commercial equipment, a griddle, two burners, and counter top fryer (all propane) under a six foot exhaust hood with fire suppression, the six sinks, and 30 gallon fresh with 40 gallon waste water tanks.  I haven't yet decided if I'm going with a fridge/freezer combo plus a counter top food rail, or just a 36" sandwich top fridge and skipping the food rail and freezer.  

I have a Honda EU3000 generator which I'm having difficulty figuring out where to place.  Ideally, I'd like it near the back on the opposite side of service, but there is very little space behind the wheel well so I'm considering placing it at the back of the truck where the doors open, and building a box for the generator with a shell wall just inside the doors.  I'd like to maintain as much of the integrity of the original truck as possible.  

So my biggest question at this point before I start building the kitchen and restoring the truck is are there any unusual health, fire or other department codes I should be aware of in other cities?  My goal in this build-out is to meet any large city's regulations.

Pics on my facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/...47/?type=1&theater

Thanks, Angela

post edited by Noodles on the Loose - 2014/06/21 23:10:56

6 Replies Related Threads

rubyhawaii
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re:Oddest or Strictest Health Department Regulations? 2014/06/21 23:35:23 (permalink)
    I have no answers but am wondering why Alaska requires 6 sinks. In Calif it typically 4. That's a lot of sinks to serve a cup a coffee!
    chefbuba
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1986
    Re:Oddest or Strictest Health Department Regulations? 2014/06/21 23:54:07 (permalink)
    I would think the 6th is a mop sink?
    Rcoy
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 96
    Re:Oddest or Strictest Health Department Regulations? 2014/06/22 08:44:26 (permalink)
    3 bay warewash 1 handwash, prep. mop. That is to be considered "sef contained" eliminating the req for a commissary. Most HD from what I see however require a commissary no matter how your truck is set up.
    Noodles on the Loose
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 60
    Re:Oddest or Strictest Health Department Regulations? 2014/06/22 10:23:24 (permalink)
    Correct, the 6th is a mop sink.  The commissary requirement depends on the city.  So far in my search, Seattle, Arlington and DC do, and I think it was Denver that does not.  We have the requirement here if the truck doesn't include some certain items, but there aren't any facilities here set up specifically as a commissary.  You just have to find a restaurant or other commercial kitchen that will rent their space out to you, which isn't easy.  If we had a real commissary, I'd be inclined to use it.  Some of my prep and clean up would be much easier in a larger space than my tiny truck.

post edited by Noodles on the Loose - 2014/06/22 10:34:41
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6721
    Re:Oddest or Strictest Health Department Regulations? 2014/06/22 10:48:54 (permalink)
    Sorry to hear you are leaving Alaska!!!    I'd move back in a minute if I could.  Good luck with your move.
    Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 225
    Re:Oddest or Strictest Health Department Regulations? 2014/06/22 17:14:07 (permalink)
    While there is a way to do it in Denver without having to use a commissary kitchen, the requirements are such that any of the real food trucks have to use a commissary kitchen.
    For those in the Denver area looking for commissary kitchens:
    http://www.culinaryincubator.com/maps.php?state=CO
    http://www.commercialkitc...com/location/colorado/
    http://cookithere.com/Kitchens/CO
    post edited by Midnights - 2014/06/22 17:23:06
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1