Off To Work/Pittston, Pa. to Beverly, Ma.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4512
2008/04/15 09:10:56 (permalink)

Off To Work/Pittston, Pa. to Beverly, Ma.

I had meetings in Beverly and Marlborough, Ma on Monday. I drove out on Sunday afternoon.

My fist stop was at Frankies in Waterbury. This is one of my favorite half-way stops whenever I make this trip. Frankies is a Drive-In, part hot dog stand and part seafood hut. I never realized that Frankies is a small regional chain. I stopped at 700 Watertown Avenue Waterbury,CT. Here is a link to their website http://www.frankieshotdogs.com/

Sorry for the poor photo. I still feel a little funny taking pictures.

[img]

There is a pavilion at the end of the parking lot. It was windy and about 50 degrees on Sunday. Since I have a strict rule against eating in the mobile office I was the only person sitting there.

[/img]

I ordered my favorite combo platter, whole belly clams and a hot dog. The clams were hands down the best I ever had. Cooked to perfection, which means they were not over cooked. Not gritty and a hint of salty ocean flavor.

The Dog was delicious. Grilled to perfection, as was the bun. You can order your dog with chili or top it yourself. I chose raw onions and red onion sauce. The sauce was bland, not what I expected.

[img]

Next stop was Beverly. I took cecif's advice and went straight to Nicks Famous Roast Beef.(Thank You) I ordered the Super Beef on an onion roll and a spinach roll. I ordered with just cheese ( the horseradish sauce contains Mayo). The beef was fantastic, no topping needed. The spinach roll was a waste of good calories. The one thing I do want to mention about Nick's is that this place is extremely clean. As I was waiting for my food I took notice of the Prep area. They are to be commended.

[img]

On MondayI decided to try to find Boston Speeds. I had a nice drive down US 1 until I realized my navigation was not updated for the Big Dig. I was in a tunnel and it kept telling me to go left, make a U-turn. I found his spot but he wasn't there. Maybe next time.

Next stop was Marlborough. I saw someone recommend "The Hot Dog Truck". Easy to find. Tasty boiled dogs with skin. I ordered two with chili and onions. I am not going to post a picture. The dogs came with a red sauce and were covered with kidney beans and I am not going to open that can of worms.

[img]

From there it was one more meeting and straight home.[/img][/img][/img]
[/img]

42 Replies Related Threads

acornlover
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 394
    RE: Off To Work/Pittston, Pa. to Beverly, Ma. 2008/04/16 07:13:29 (permalink)
    I am glad you liked Nick's , I have never had the horseradish sauce, always have mine "with sauce" which is a red spicy sauce that is just right!
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Off To Work/Pittston, Pa. to Beverly, Ma. 2008/04/26 22:25:18 (permalink)
    Was that hot dog truck near the Walmart as your headed out of town towards Hudson on Bolton?....I remember one being there.....
    cecif
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1414
    RE: Off To Work/Pittston, Pa. to Beverly, Ma. 2008/04/26 22:52:11 (permalink)
    Heh heh glad you liked Nick's!!!!

I live in Beverly now, though actually I have an additional fave roast beef joint in Medford near a place I work. I'll only share that if co-erced.

I just moved here actually... I am slowly trying the local stuff. So far so good.

In case you come back, don't miss the fantastic donuts in Saugus mentioned in this thread:
    http://www.roadfood.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3006

Happy travels!
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Off To Work/Pittston, Pa. to Beverly, Ma. 2008/04/27 19:43:24 (permalink)
    roossy90, This one was in the Golds Gym parking lot. I saw it posted on another thread so I gave it a try.

cecif, This was my first time in the area, very nice. I have to come back in June so if you find any good spots let me know. Hopefully in 2009 I will be in the area for about three months.

Joe

acornlover
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 394
    RE: Off To Work/Pittston, Pa. to Beverly, Ma. 2008/04/27 20:07:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by cecif

I live in Beverly now, though actually I have an additional fave roast beef joint in Medford near a place I work. I'll only share that if co-erced.

Share , Share!!!!
    cecif
    RE: Off To Work/Pittston, Pa. to Beverly, Ma. 2008/04/28 22:27:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by acornlover

quote:
    Originally posted by cecif

Share , Share!!!!

Okay but ssshhhhhhhh! It's already quite crowded. And I'm told it is better than Kelly's and they use the same sauce. I have regular absolutely delicious roast beef at... Alamo Roast Beef in Medford Square (I think it's technically on High Street, it's very near the intersection that we Bostonians like to call "squares".)

Actually I will also add that directly opposite Alamo is Modern Pastry. It's the same people as the North End Modern... that's the bakery for the locals (the tourists go to Mike's Pastry, Modern is miles better... another "ssshhhhhhhh"!).

joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Off To Work/Pittston, Pa. to Beverly, Ma. 2008/04/29 07:04:31 (permalink)
    cecif, Once I got to my jobsite in Beverly I programed my navigation to locate the nearest restaurants. I swear every other listing was for roast beef. So little time, so much beef.

Don't worry your secret is safe with me
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Off To Work/Pittston, Pa. to Beverly, Ma. 2008/04/30 16:12:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by joerogo

roossy90, This one was in the Golds Gym parking lot. I saw it posted on another thread so I gave it a try.

cecif, This was my first time in the area, very nice. I have to come back in June so if you find any good spots let me know. Hopefully in 2009 I will be in the area for about three months.

Joe

On Route 20 headed back towards Sudbury/Boston?>.... Trying to remember where Golds Gym is...
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Off To Work/Pittston, Pa. to Beverly, Ma. 2008/04/30 16:19:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by roossy90

quote:
    Originally posted by joerogo

Joe

On Route 20 headed back towards Boston?>.... Trying to remember where Golds Gym is...

I took this from his website. "In the parking lot of Gold's Gym, 420 Maple Street (route 85) in Marlborough"

http://www.thehotdogtruck.com/

What do you think would have been the outcome if I posted a picture of the dogs covered with kidney beans?" />
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    RE: Off To Work/Pittston, Pa. to Beverly, Ma. 2008/04/30 18:44:24 (permalink)
    I was(and am)drooling over the fried clams-I havent had good ones since I was on the east coastof N.C.a few years ago...
    cecif
    RE: Off To Work/Pittston, Pa. to Beverly, Ma. 2008/05/01 07:56:32 (permalink)
    LOL! annpeeples, I am about to post a whole bunch of food photos etc including my awesome fried clam lunch yesterday from Farnham's in Essex.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Off To Work/Pittston, Pa. to Beverly, Ma. 2008/05/01 08:02:43 (permalink)
    annpeeples, Those clams were as good as they look. In fact perfect.

cecif, You keep posting, I'll keep eating.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    RE: Off To Work/Pittston, Pa. to Beverly, Ma. 2008/05/01 09:47:31 (permalink)
    Cant wait to see them,cecif!!
    cecif
    RE: Off To Work/Pittston, Pa. to Beverly, Ma. 2008/05/04 23:34:14 (permalink)
    Okay ann, they are finally up:
    http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27273

Sorry only one pic of the clams... but hopefully fun to peruse anyway...
    Enjoy
    brucekc
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: Off To Work/Pittston, Pa. to Beverly, Ma. 2008/05/05 09:09:03 (permalink)
    I can't believe a Hot Dog truck is the most famous spot in Marlboro!
    This truck should have a How Many Served sign on it like Mcdonald's
    Did you notice how many Chinese Restaurants the City has?
    cecif
    RE: Off To Work/Pittston, Pa. to Beverly, Ma. 2008/05/07 22:02:28 (permalink)
    More from your other thread Joerogo... re: my "mission".

So you know about Nick's. Additionally I'd say all the seafood places we all rave about on the north shore are fairly close. Salem Diner is very close: http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=395

So far there are neat little local joints around town (I live in the heart of Beverly), but the food I have eaten isn't really roadfood per se (Mexican, the European bakery, Thai...). I am compiling a list though of local diners I keep spotting that need to be tried.

I'll think on it more.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Off To Work/Pittston, Pa. to Beverly, Ma. 2010/11/22 21:00:53 (permalink)
    Time to dig up this old thread since I am working in Beverly again.

Today I ended up at Tasty Sub, right next to the zoning office in town.  Very nice and extremely clean sub shop.  Since the owner is Greek, I went with a breakfast pita of Locanico sausage, eggs, feta, onions and tomato.  Excellent overstuffed sandwich, especially the Greek sausage with just a hint of cinnamon.

I saw some good reviews for Stephy's.  But, closed on Mondays Looked like a good place, I will have to stop back.

RF is a little hard to find in this area.  I get a kick out of the restaurants on US1.  They use all kinds of bright lights and funky buildings to grab your attention as you wiz by.  The one that grabbed me on Sunday night did not impress.  

Any and all recommendations are appreciated.

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    RE: Off To Work/Pittston, Pa. to Beverly, Ma. 2010/11/23 07:37:18 (permalink)
    Joe- you always seem to order the most excellent sounding breakfasts!!!
    Billfish
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 397
    RE: Off To Work/Pittston, Pa. to Beverly, Ma. 2010/11/24 00:11:28 (permalink)
    There never was much on Rt 1 of any serious import.Calitri's in Danvers has some pretty impressive pizza/italian stuff,its supposed to be a cousin of the revered Sam & Joes on Rt 35 in Danversport.Also Santarpio's,the renowned East Boston pizzeria has a new store on the northbound side in Peabody.Prince Pizza in Saugus was always reliable when I lived in the area.Some places like the Kowloon and the Hilltop Steak house in Saugus are pretty much serviceable but venerable,they have been there many years and may just be cruising on their reputation now.Kowloon is worth a visit if only for their remarkable architecture.
         In Beverly itself,dont mess around,go to Super Sub at Elliott and Cabot St.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Off To Work/Pittston, Pa. to Beverly, Ma. 2010/11/24 10:00:54 (permalink)
    Billfish, Thanks for the info.  On my next trip I am thinking about Santarpio's or maybe heading down to East Boston to Rino's(any info?).

I was taken in by the bright lights of Supino's.  I was expecting an Italian restaurant, not a bar that serves some Italian food.  I had Diry's Crispy Pasta Plank as an appetizer.  It would have been good if it were prepared fresh.  But it came to me luke warm and tasting as if it had sat around too long.  

It was also 10 cent wing night so I ordered a dozen.  The wing sauce was traditional as in right off the bottle of Frank's Red Hot.  But the wings were double cooked and had a taste as if they were boiled at some point.  I understand that they are going to sell a LOT of wings on 10 cent night, but I would rather wait an extra 10 minutes and get the fresh from the fryer.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Off To Work/Pittston, Pa. to Beverly, Ma. 2010/12/03 12:09:48 (permalink)
    Tried Santarpio's in Peabody.

Good pizza, nothing spectacular though.  Typical NY pie with a little crispier crust.  Very good sauce and cheese.  The one thing I didn't like was the amount of burnt cornmeal stuck to the bottom of my pie.  Is this normal for Santarpio's or did I just catch a lazy pizza maker?

What is great is what they call their barbeque.  Skewers of meat flamed over an open pit.  Served with a chunk of Italian bread and some hot pickled cherry peppers.  I had a birds eye view of the pit from the bar, the BBQ was outselling the pizza 2 - 1.

I ordered the Combination Lamb & Sausage $9.00.  The sausage was crisp on the outside and juicy on the inside with a very good flavor.  The lamb was excellent, cooked medium rare without asking.  This meal was hands on, layering the meat and peppers on chunks bread.  Can't say enough good about it, highly recommended.

Still can't believe the house wine selection....Paul Masson?  Served through the tap system system?  Or how about a 1/2 carafe of Taylors finest.  Other than that you have to purchase a full bottle from their choice of four.  They really need to work on this.
    WINE
    House Wine 7 ounce glass $3.50
    10 ounce glass $4.00
    Taylor Chablis - 1/2 Carafe $7.00
    Taylor Burgundy – Carafe $11.00
    Chianti, Seni - Bottle $16.00 
    A young Chiani, easy to drink and suitable with meats & pasta.
    Merlot, Villa Cornaro – Bottle $15.00 
    Smooth and soft with berry and floral flavors and goes well with meat.
    Pinot Grigio, Villa Cornaro - Bottle $15.00 
    Delicate with fresh aromas and a hint of melon.
    White Zinfandel - Bottle $15.00 
    Light and fresh with watermelon and citrus flavors.

ScreamingChicken
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4978
    RE: Off To Work/Pittston, Pa. to Beverly, Ma. 2010/12/03 13:13:08 (permalink)
    I guess this means we won't be sharing a box of Franzia anytime soon...

After looking at the website photos and reading your description the barbeque sounds really good.  Was the combination made up of 1 skewer of lamb and 1 of sausage, or were they cooked together?

Brad
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Off To Work/Pittston, Pa. to Beverly, Ma. 2010/12/03 13:52:38 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken
     I guess this means we won't be sharing a box of Franzia anytime soon...

After looking at the website photos and reading your description the barbeque sounds really good.  Was the combination made up of 1 skewer of lamb and 1 of sausage, or were they cooked together?

Brad

Franzia would have been an upgrade!  Heck, Pink Catawba would have been an upgrade!

The combo was one skewer of each.  Believe me, it was even better than the pictures from the website show.  It was more than enough for a meal also.  But being that I was at a famous pizza place, I had to try the pizza.  
    ayersian
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 899
    RE: Off To Work/Pittston, Pa. to Beverly, Ma. 2010/12/03 14:40:53 (permalink)
    Joe, how about Kelly's on Route 1 in Saugus?  Nick's is my #1 favorite roast beef but Kelly's sandwich ain't too shabby, and they also have great fried whole belly clams.  I haven't been to the new Santarpio's out there, but the original in East Boston is another fave.  And those lamb & sausage skewers are to die for!    Chris
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Off To Work/Pittston, Pa. to Beverly, Ma. 2010/12/03 15:31:35 (permalink)
    ayersian
    Joe, how about Kelly's on Route 1 in Saugus?  Nick's is my #1 favorite roast beef but Kelly's sandwich ain't too shabby, and they also have great fried whole belly clams.  I haven't been to the new Santarpio's out there, but the original in East Boston is another fave.  And those lamb & sausage skewers are to die for!    Chris

Hey Chris,

I will have to check out Kelly's.  Clams would be the perfect side dish for a beef sandwich

I like Nick's though, squeeky clean, fast and friendly.  My last visit, I step up to the plate and order a Super Beef with hot sauce.  The woman dips her glasses and says, "hot Sauce?".  Yeah.  No good. Why?  Because it's hot!  Let me give you our BBQ sauce instead.  Ok.  You can't get that at Burger King

Santarpio's pizza was good, but I wouldn't give them "Landmark" status.  Maybe this location isn't up to par with the original?
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Off To Work/Pittston, Pa. to Beverly, Ma. 2011/04/08 12:01:11 (permalink)
    Back to Santarpio's in Peabody!  I went with the pepperoni, garlic and hot pepper pizza recommended by Chris(cell phone photo)

Excellent combination and a very tasty pizza.  But again, with the chunks of burnt cornmeal on the bottom?  That really distracts from the taste and enjoyment.

I went with the lamb bbq.  A little over done, but still very good.

I love this stuff, breaking off chunks of bread, wrapping it around a chunk of meat and stuffing in some hot pepper...heaven!

Oh, and some fine Paul Masson burgundy, served up through the tap system  Several of us at the bar had a heart to heart with the bartender about the wine by the glass.  Hopefully it will improve.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: Off To Work/Pittston, Pa. to Beverly, Ma. 2011/04/08 14:12:07 (permalink)
    Mmmmm, grilled lamb.  I don't know where I could find that around here.
    ayersian
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 899
    RE: Off To Work/Pittston, Pa. to Beverly, Ma. 2011/04/08 15:09:54 (permalink)
    Joerogo, we finally went to Tarp's in Peabody.  It's housed in a former Bennigan's, so there's no distinct RF atmosphere to speak of, unless you sit on the grill side of the bar where you can watch the sausage and lamb sizzling.  That combo pie you ordered is our favorite, and I know what you're saying about the cornmeal on the bottom.  For me, it doesn't detract from the enjoyment, but I see where that could be an issue.  We took home a few slices as leftovers, and I didn't notice an excessive amount of cornmeal (there was some, but not a lot).

As for a taste comparison of the original location versus the Peabody store, I honestly doubt that I'd be able to tell the difference if blindfolded.  I love 'em both.  Santarpio's isn't Pepe's or Grimaldi's or Modern, et al. but it is definitely my favorite in Boston, with Upper Crust running a close second.  There's another place by your hotel on Route 1 that I've always wanted to try: Karl's Sausage Kitchen.  I have a feeling that place is a clincher for a RF review!    Chris
    Ahi Mpls.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 922
    RE: Off To Work/Pittston, Pa. to Beverly, Ma. 2011/04/08 19:02:20 (permalink)
     Jeepers Joe!
     Will you please stop torturing me!?  Meat - bread - hot peppers.  My favorite. 
      Now, please go to Sharkey's in Binghamton for a full report on Spiedies... I enjoy being tortured. 
    post edited by AHI MPLS - 2011/04/08 19:03:52
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1