Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Official State Food and Drink

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 31
Mayhaw Man

• Total Posts: 589
Official State Food and Drink Fri, 08/15/03 8:43 AM (permalink)
I live in Louisiana. While we have a history of famously corrupt elected officials(name a state that has had governors with as many feature length movies made about them as Louisiana-guys who later became president don't count)and we have some difficulty with all facets of public administration, we are "tops in the field" of passing absolutely useless (and often senseless) laws. The last Legislative session has just ended and our fearless leaders spent a great deal of their time nominating "official stuff". We now have a few more official items which I submit for your amusement. My question is:
Are there official food and drinks in your state? And if there are do you agree with the choices?

Official State Vegetable-Sweet Potato
Official State Vegetable Plant-Creole Tomato
Co-Official State Jellies- Mayhaw and Sugar Cane
Official State Meat Pie- Nachitoches Meat Pie
Official State Drink- Milk
Official State Crustacean- Crawfish
Official Insect- Honeybee
Official Reptile-Alligator
Official Fish-White Perch (crappie)

You will notice that most of our symbols are edible

jmckee

• Total Posts: 1172
    RE: Official State Food and Drink Fri, 08/15/03 9:11 AM (permalink)
    In Ohio, the state beverage, declared in 1965, is Tomato Juice. I guess that's as good choice as any, but I don't see many people here drinking it (besides my 10-year-old); maybe it's the popularity of bloody mary breakfasts..... Beer would probably be a better choice, but for the angry temperance fundamentalists that abound here.

No state food, snack, etc. I'd nominate Cincinnati Chili as the state food (natch) and potato chips as the state snack. The state fruit would probably be apples, due to the many fine orchards in the region. Sweet Corn would win hands down as the state vegetable.

Here are a few other symbols:

Animal: White-tailed Deer (Odocoileus virginianus)

Floral Emblem: Scarlet Carnation (Dianthus caryophyllus)

Gemstone: Ohio Flint

State Insect: Ladybug (Actually, there's a certain species of state legislator opposed to fixing our school funding problem that would qualify for this.....)

Invertebrate Fossil: Isotelus (Trilobite) (Hmmmmm....our governor might qualify for this one....)

Reptile: Black Racer Snake (Coluber constrictor constrictor)

Rock Song: "Hang on Sloopy", as declared by House resolution in 1985

Song: "Beautiful Ohio"

Tree: Ohio Buckeye (Aesculus globra)

Wildflower: Large White Trilium (Trillium grandiflorum)

McGriff

• Total Posts: 26
      RE: Official State Food and Drink Fri, 08/15/03 9:56 AM (permalink)
      I don't know what the official foods/drink for the state of Utah are, but the unofficial ones are: Jello, especially green with carrots in it and to drink an overly sweet red punch, yick!

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7407
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: Official State Food and Drink Fri, 08/15/03 9:58 AM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by McGriff

I don't know what the official foods/drink for the state of Utah are, but the unofficial ones are: Jello, especially green with carrots in it and to drink an overly sweet red punch, yick!

I would think it should be scones with honey butter and french fries with fry sauce. Maybe even Navajo Tacos!

mek

• Total Posts: 123
          RE: Official State Food and Drink Fri, 08/15/03 12:11 PM (permalink)

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
            RE: Official State Food and Drink Fri, 08/15/03 12:26 PM (permalink)

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
              RE: Official State Food and Drink Fri, 08/15/03 12:30 PM (permalink)
              One of the many reasons we only let our legislature meet once every two years (not counting "special sessions", of course).

Here's a few. Official Texas State:

Bird - MOCKINGBIRD
              Dinosaur (yes, really) - BRACHIOSAUR SAUROPOD
              Food - CHILI
              Fiber - COTTON
              Fish - GUADALUPE BASS
              Flower - BLUEBONNET (Yes!)
              Fruit - TEXAS RED GRAPEFRUIT
              Gem - TEXAS BLUE TOPAZ
              Nut - PECAN
              Insect - MONARCH BUTTERFLY
              Flying Mammal - MEXICAN FREE-TAILED BAT
              Large Mammal - LONGHORN
              Small Mammal (dontcha love it?) - ARMADILLO
              Pepper - JALAPENO
              Shrub - CRAPE MYRTLE
              Sport - RODEO (can't believe it's not high school football)

This last session, between roadtrips, they designated the Official State Snack: CHIPS & SALSA.

I hear they are working on an Official "Getaway" spot, but they're having trouble deciding between Oklahoma and New Mexico.

topferment

• Total Posts: 79
                RE: Official State Food and Drink Fri, 08/15/03 1:06 PM (permalink)
                Kansas has an official state soil(harney silt loam) but no state food???

That says a lot for people's tastes in this state. However, the state animal is the buffalo and it makes for pretty good eating.

If I had to nominate an official state food by what the majority of people eat here I would say it would be steak and potatoes.

Personally I'd vote for beer, particularly a good German style wheat beer to promote our number one agricultural product.

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3591
                  RE: Official State Food and Drink Fri, 08/15/03 1:49 PM (permalink)
                  Apparently California has a state insect, folk dance and fife and drum band. As for food-----nothing! (Ok, no comments from all of you who say California is the "land of fruits and nuts"!).
                  I hereby suggest for the state food----Santa Maria Tri--tip BBQ. The state beverage----margarita. Now if we could only get one of our governor cdandidates to add them to their platform!

mek

• Total Posts: 123
                    RE: Official State Food and Drink Fri, 08/15/03 1:53 PM (permalink)
                    topferment-
                    I gather from your name that you prefer ales over lagers! Weizen and Alt are the 2 German ales. I love them both -especially in the summer.

Mayhaw Man

• Total Posts: 589
                      RE: Official State Food and Drink Fri, 08/15/03 2:08 PM (permalink)
                      I would nominate Anchor Steam as the state beverage of California. mmmmmmm A nobler use of simple ingrediants has never been acheived.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7407
                        • Roadfood Insider
                        RE: Official State Food and Drink Fri, 08/15/03 3:03 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by EdSails

Apparently California has a state insect, folk dance and fife and drum band. As for food-----nothing! (Ok, no comments from all of you who say California is the "land of fruits and nuts"!).
                        I hereby suggest for the state food----Santa Maria Tri--tip BBQ. The state beverage----margarita. Now if we could only get one of our governor cdandidates to add them to their platform!

Does California have a State Yogurt and State Wheat Germ?

CoreyEl

• Total Posts: 156
                          RE: Official State Food and Drink Fri, 08/15/03 3:09 PM (permalink)
                          Arkansas has:

Official state beverage: milk
                          Official state vegetable: vine ripe pink tomato

And since the official state insect is the honeybee and the official state flower is the apple blossom, I assume apple blossom honey should be counted in there somewhere.

Also found out that the traditional Arkansas state food is barbecue ribs. Amen to that!

topferment

• Total Posts: 79
                            RE: Official State Food and Drink Sat, 08/16/03 10:37 AM (permalink)
                            mek,
                            I have found no beer better suited to thirst quenching than wheat beer. And the natural sediment is very good for you too. I store wheat beers upside down so I get every last bit of that yeast.

I do like a few lagers, particularly Point Special from Stevens Point Brewery in Wisconsin, but ales are my favorite overall.

Hode

• Total Posts: 153
                              RE: Official State Food and Drink Sat, 08/16/03 11:03 AM (permalink)
                              I have a friend from texas who says the armadillo is the states official speed bump

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                                RE: Official State Food and Drink Sun, 08/17/03 10:45 AM (permalink)
                                You know, as a "freshmen" Okie,i find the more i learn about this state, the more i realize how right i was to cash out of and depart from California! I present;
                                The Official Oklahome State Meal

Barbecued Pork
                                Chicken Fried Steak

Fried Okra
                                Squash
                                Corn
                                Blackeyed Peas

Grits
                                Bisciuts
                                Corn Bread
                                Sausage and gravy

Pecan Pie
                                Strawberries

God, I love this place!!---but from what i have seen im not so sure about the atate beverage---Milk----unless that comes in a can around here,i could debate this one!

tiki

RE: Official State Food and Drink Sun, 08/17/03 10:49 AM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by tiki

You know, as a "freshmen" Okie,i find the more i learn about this state, the more i realize how right i was to cash out of and depart from California! I present;
                                  The Official Oklahome State Meal

Mea Culpa!!! OklahomA!!!!State Meal

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15073
                                    • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                    RE: Official State Food and Drink Sun, 08/17/03 5:18 PM (permalink)
                                    McGriff- I think the hot beverage for UTAH must be Postum !!

BigGlenn

RE: Official State Food and Drink Mon, 08/18/03 12:49 AM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

California can even decide on a State Governor, Please don't make us pick a State Food!

tiki

RE: Official State Food and Drink Mon, 08/18/03 9:09 AM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by BigGlenn

quote:

quote:

California can even decide on a State Governor, Please don't make us pick a State Food!

as a recent ex Californian i think that is exactly its problem---it doesn't want to "pick" anything---it wants it ALL!!! But i think that if there was a state food for Calif. it would have to be The "Roach Couch" Burrito!!! They are EVERYWHERE. My wife says to be really California whatever it is it needs to have a Hass avacado in it!

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15073
                                          • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                          RE: Official State Food and Drink Mon, 08/18/03 9:17 AM (permalink)
                                          Tiki
                                          When I see Avocados here in a market at over a dollar apiece I remember the corner veggie stands in SoCal where they were a dime apiece. Hell even at Stater Brothers they went for 6 or 7 for a buck most of the time.
                                          I must admit that is one veggie/fruit I miss having around all the time.
                                          On the other hand we picked over 8 gallons of Blackberries this summer in one of the longest berry seasons folks here remember for a long time.

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
                                            RE: Official State Food and Drink Mon, 08/18/03 1:13 PM (permalink)
                                            Pennsylvania does not have an official state food but the State Animal - Whitetail Deer, and State Fish - Brook Trout, end up as lots of meals annually.

State Beverage - Milk, although I would have voted for Birch Beer.

Of all the others, my favorite is State Insect - Firefly (lightening bug).

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
                                              RE: Official State Food and Drink Mon, 08/18/03 2:15 PM (permalink)
                                              tiki - you made me pine for the days of my youth when we spent our summers roaming the woods of Okalhoma with my Grandma Rose's fine cooking. *sigh*

tiki

RE: Official State Food and Drink Mon, 08/18/03 10:20 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by Lone Star

tiki - you made me pine for the days of my youth when we spent our summers roaming the woods of Okalhoma with my Grandma Rose's fine cooking. *sigh*

Well then---come on by----labor day weekend here in Rentiesville Ok--pop 68 now that janie and i are here--The Dusk till Dawn Blues Fest----awesome blues--30 bands--3 nites--5pm till sunup--Smokehouse Bobs Barbecue---fried chicken---catfish---local made fried pies-- cheap beer---kids free---what more could you ask for!!!! www.dcminner.com for details---yuall come on down,we'll leave the light on!

EliseT

• Total Posts: 2849
                                                  RE: Official State Food and Drink Tue, 08/19/03 8:02 AM (permalink)
                                                  quote:

quote:

You're behind the times! Now it's official wheatgrass extract and "raw foods".

tiki

• Location: Rentiesville, OK
                                                    RE: Official State Food and Drink Tue, 08/19/03 9:21 PM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Tiki
                                                    When I see Avocados here in a market at over a dollar apiece I remember the corner veggie stands in SoCal where they were a dime apiece. Hell even at Stater Brothers they went for 6 or 7 for a buck most of the time.
                                                    I must admit that is one veggie/fruit I miss having around all the time.
                                                    On the other hand we picked over 8 gallons of Blackberries this summer in one of the longest berry seasons folks here remember for a long time.

Yeah, i dont think i will be seeing avos at 10 for a dollar here in Oklahoma----or 3/$1 artichokes----but then again--the crappie are everywhere--abd the brisket!!! the brisket!!!!the brisket!!!!I think i'll survive

CoreyEl

• Total Posts: 156
                                                      • Location: Russellville, AR
                                                      RE: Official State Food and Drink Tue, 08/19/03 9:36 PM (permalink)
                                                      Has anyone found a state beverage that ISN'T milk?

Lucky Bishop

• Total Posts: 1049
                                                        RE: Official State Food and Drink Wed, 08/20/03 1:44 AM (permalink)
                                                        New Mexico's state cookie, justifiably, is the biscochito. And we also, I note with pride, the only state with an official state question: "Red or green?"

Even though I live here now, I have no idea what Massachusetts' state symbols are.

TANFANRN

• Total Posts: 26
                                                          • Location: BELLEVILLE, MI
                                                          RE: Official State Food and Drink Wed, 08/20/03 3:00 AM (permalink)
                                                          THE UN-OFFICIAL FOOD AND BEVERAGE FOR MICHIGAN: DRINK WOULD HAVE TO BE VERNORS GINGER ALE. FOOD CHOICES WOULD BE CHERRY PIE, (ICE CREAM, JAM, COBBLER, ECT....), CONEY DOGS, PASTIES, "A MESS OF FRIED YELLOW PERCH," PLANKED WHITEFISH, AND FRIED SMELT IN SEASON. I HAVE TO GO FIND SOMETHING TO EAT NOW. I JUST MADE MYSELF HUNGERY.

BrandyB

• Total Posts: 1
                                                            • Location: Cambridge, MA
                                                            RE: Official State Food and Drink Sun, 08/24/03 12:31 PM (permalink)
                                                            Massachusetts' official state beverage is cranberry juice, state bean is Boston Baked Beans, state muffin is corn, state dessert is Boston cream pie, and the cookie is chocolate chip. There you go, a state without milk as it's beverage. I'd also argue that, unofficially, Boston's best dessert would be hand-made ice cream and the soup would be clam chowder. This is probably true of the most of the rest of the state as well, though ice cream parlors and seafood shacks aren't as common in the western part of the state.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 31

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com