Ohio-Central & Ohio-KY River Road

Author
Munchie
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
2003/06/29 13:25:18 (permalink)

Ohio-Central & Ohio-KY River Road

I will be doing genealogical research in Ohio next month, which means county seats. I will be in Delaware, Alexandria and Newark, OH area for several days. Then to Marietta and back west along the river to Covington, KY. Any towns along the entire Ohio River from Marietta to Covington, KY, on Kentucky or Ohio side.

6 Replies Related Threads

Florox
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Ohio-Central & Ohio-KY River Road 2003/06/30 16:54:38 (permalink)
    If you’re in the mood for greasy food during late-night hours, the Anchor Grill in Covington, KY (438 Pike St, Covington, KY 41011) is a must. It is open 24 hours a day and has the typical greasy spoon menu, heavily weighted toward the breakfast end of the spectrum. They serve possibly the best goetta in the Midwest (“Gliers Goetta”). As an added bonus, if you play a song on the jukebox a miniature band plays in the back room and a disco ball spins, adding some great ambiance to the room.

Also, for Italian try Pompillo’s in Newport, KY (600 Washington Ave. ). The place is locally famous as the setting for some of the beginning scenes in the movie “Rain Man” but it is also locally known for its consistent dishes at reasonable prices.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5475
    RE: Ohio-Central & Ohio-KY River Road 2003/07/01 02:05:12 (permalink)
    Gotta try the Chili, my favorite is Camp Washngton.

So what is "goetta"? I've seen this word a couple 3 times tonight and don't know what it is.

MikeS.
    JulesF
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: Ohio-Central & Ohio-KY River Road 2003/07/01 11:04:19 (permalink)
    When in Delaware, try four places in town and one a short drive north. In town, all four are downtown, try the Brown Jug, the Acapulco Mexican Restaurant, Pizza Villa and the Hamburger Inn. I'm a local and don't have specific menu items to recommend since everything I've eaten at these restaurants is good. I'm partial to the breakfasts and burgers at Hamburger Inn (open for breakfast and lunch only; homemade h'burger buns, cinnamon and pecan rolls, etc.-awesome and CHEAP food and good size servings! Very old, counter dining set-up, say hi to Frankie, the head waitress who's been there as long as I can remember. If you can, park in the city lot behind and walk thru the back door. You walk past the ancient kitchen and can see and smell the baked goods as you go! If allergic to smoke or have a sensitive nose, be forewarned, this place is one of the few rest's nowadays where smokers can congregate. You may smell like grease and cigarettes when you leave, but it's worth it.) Pizza Villa offers pizza, salads and typical Italian dishes-all good. The Brown Jug is open for lunch and dinner, but not bkfst. Their hamburgers, steak sandwiches, pizza, spaghetti, fried mushrooms, fish sandwiches are all good. At Acapulco's, I like the enchiladas.

The short drive north is about half an hour on Rt. 23 (north) to Waldo to the G&R (see the Sterns review in their book, Roadfood.) They're famous for their fried bologna sandwich (bologna sliced thicker than the usual hamburger, served with whatever burger fixin's you want on it), but I like their other fried foods better, their cheeseburgers are great; also chicken tenders, mushrooms, cauliflower, onion rings, etc. I've never had a "greasy" tasting item here!

Enjoy!

JulesF
    tjr
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 136
    RE: Ohio-Central & Ohio-KY River Road 2003/07/07 15:01:46 (permalink)
    Thomas F&N Steakhouse in Dayton, KY, just east of Covington/Newport is a must. Has not changed much since the 1940's. Eggplant stix are great!
    tjr
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 136
    RE: Ohio-Central & Ohio-KY River Road 2003/07/07 15:03:36 (permalink)
    Also, when in Newark, try:

Mauger's Seafood, 512 West Main, Lancaster
    Very traditional seafood place, broiled in butter/fried swordfish, scallops, shrimp, surf & turf, etc. Only sauces were tartar & cocktail - none of that coulis stuff at Mauger's! Plenty of halfway decent bottles of wine for under $20. Only drawback - no salad bar.

Hode
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: Ohio-Central & Ohio-KY River Road 2003/07/07 18:31:16 (permalink)
    When in Newark , treat yourself to true roadfood at Clay's Cafe in nearby Hebron Oh. / they are on west main street and have a fun and Great menu . Stomboli's are Great / also a pork tenderloin sandwich / the Cafe burger is scrumptious and the pizza is good too. Full line of ice cream and floats and malts and shakes. Family run and full of family fun. Fresh cut fries and so much more.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1