Oil temp. to deep fry hotdogs

Author
sk bob
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1801
2006/05/18 15:47:08 (permalink)

Oil temp. to deep fry hotdogs

What would be a good temperature to deep fry hot dogs in a home deep fryer? How about cooking times?

8 Replies Related Threads

GB944
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 192
    RE: Oil temp. to deep fry hotdogs 2006/05/18 17:46:42 (permalink)
    375 F.

Cooking from 30 seconds to 3 minutes, depending on how dessicated you want it.

Check out Rutt's Hut review for the effect of longer frying times.
    John Fox
    • Total Posts : 2339
    RE: Oil temp. to deep fry hotdogs 2006/05/19 06:15:32 (permalink)
    Rutt's Hut fries their dogs at 350 F.
    TnGuy
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 75
    RE: Oil temp. to deep fry hotdogs 2006/05/19 16:30:10 (permalink)
    sk bob:

I've been occasionally ordering Thumman's deep fryer dogs (as a matter of fact, time to re-order some soon) to try and as-best-I-can replicate the Texas Weiners that I grew up on (along w/ a homemade recipe for the all-the-way sauce). I leave them in the fryer (set at 350 F.) for about 7 minutes. I found that to my taste, this crisps/rips/crinkles them just right and leaves the interior nice and juicy, too. My wife likes them just a bit crispier, so 9 minutes for her.

But another type of hot dog might very well behave/cook differently. And non-deep fryer dogs might not do well at all. I'm not sure how many companies beside Thumann's make dogs specifically for deep frying since they are pretty much a niche item to the greater northern New Jersey region (John Fox might have a good take on this).

John Fox:

I see where you will be doing some dog reviews for the Star Ledger. Congratulations and best to you on your travels, dogs and write-ups. Do you plan on linking in here to the stories as they are published? I look forward to reading and enjoying them, as I do your posts here.

TnGuy
    John Fox
    RE: Oil temp. to deep fry hotdogs 2006/05/20 06:22:35 (permalink)
    TnGuy,

It's been awhile since I bought some Thumann deep fried dogs. Since I'm only 17 miles away from Rutt's, I usually just run there when I'm in the mood for one. How do you get yours?

I've heard that there are other companies that make dogs specifically for deep frying, but I don't know who they are. The Callahan's dog as well as the dog served at the Hot Grill is the Sabrett beef and pork dog. This is just a regular dog that is also grilled (at the Windmill) but not made especially for frying. Almost any dog fries up well. The beef dogs served at Italian Hot Dog restaurants are delicious. The quarter pound beef dog used at Amazing Hot Dog tastes great deep fried.

The Munchmobile adventures will be in the Star Ledger every Friday. You can get the articles by going to http://www.nj.com and continuing to the Star Ledger. I will try to post a link in the N.J. Hot Dog thread.
    TnGuy
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 75
    RE: Oil temp. to deep fry hotdogs 2006/05/23 17:39:37 (permalink)
    John:

Glad to hear that we soon will be able enjoy your research and writings on Jersey hot dog joints. If you get the chance, try to add Pappy's Diner in Totowa to your itinerary. It's been in business for over 50 years and is located only a few miles from Libby's. It happens to be the dog joint I grew with (along with the original Falls View in Paterson), so I'm rather partial to it.

I've been getting my Thumann's deep-fryer's from the only place in my area that carries Thumann's products - a local bagel shop. They are kind enough to add them to their weekly order and only charge me cost for them. It's worked out pretty good so far. After I open them, I pull out the amount we will eat over a week, then freeze the rest. I've come up with what I believe is a pretty darn good facsimile of an all-the-way sauce to top them with - along with deli-style mustard and some chopped fresh onions. It's a little bit of Jersey heaven for me here in east Tennessee.

I didn't realize that most dogs deep-fry fairly well. What would be the differences/advantages - both in taste and in deep-fry ability - of the Thumann's deep-fryer's over regular dogs, then?

TnGuy
    Pat T Hat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 968
    RE: Oil temp. to deep fry hotdogs 2006/05/23 19:55:25 (permalink)
    I ran the grill at a marina one summer and for some reason they ordered twice as many cases of hot dogs and a sausage called Bahama Mama's than needed.! Could not unload these things! I mean we had a pretty nice menu and there wasn't many kids at this place except weekends. One day I scored down the sides of a few five or so times and threw them in the fryer. I gave them to the wait and bar staff out front to eat in front of customers at the bar. Folks sure do want what they think they can't have. As in "how come we don't get those like Thaaaat"? People thought they looked cool all blown up in wedges and liked the way the skins had snap but were easy to bite into(the Bahama Mama's have a pretty tough skin). It kind of took off and by Labor day we had to re-order. What a pain in my big 'ol fat a*# but they did go out the door. Fried Mama's and Dogs, just fry 'em 350-375 till they look delicous. No place I've been since has let me do this again. Deep fryer jack booted thugs...there everywhere I tell ya!
    John Fox
    RE: Oil temp. to deep fry hotdogs 2006/05/26 06:33:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TnGuy

John:

Glad to hear that we soon will be able enjoy your research and writings on Jersey hot dog joints. If you get the chance, try to add Pappy's Diner in Totowa to your itinerary. It's been in business for over 50 years and is located only a few miles from Libby's. It happens to be the dog joint I grew with (along with the original Falls View in Paterson), so I'm rather partial to it.

I've been getting my Thumann's deep-fryer's from the only place in my area that carries Thumann's products - a local bagel shop. They are kind enough to add them to their weekly order and only charge me cost for them. It's worked out pretty good so far. After I open them, I pull out the amount we will eat over a week, then freeze the rest. I've come up with what I believe is a pretty darn good facsimile of an all-the-way sauce to top them with - along with deli-style mustard and some chopped fresh onions. It's a little bit of Jersey heaven for me here in east Tennessee.

I didn't realize that most dogs deep-fry fairly well. What would be the differences/advantages - both in taste and in deep-fry ability - of the Thumann's deep-fryer's over regular dogs, then?

TnGuy

Although dogs in general taste good deep fried, the difference is that Thumann's have 2 extra ingredients (semolina and soy protein concentrate) that aid in frying. They cause the dog to plump up and "rip" giving a Rutt's Hut dog (and any other restaurant's dog that uses the Thumann's deep fryer)a unique appearance. These dogs also contain more pork than a regular beef/pork dog which also helps in frying. I've also been told that the deep fryers are better able to withstand the high temperature of the cooking oil.
    T.R.
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Oil temp. to deep fry hotdogs 2006/06/05 14:04:09 (permalink)
    I have never heard of Deep Fried Hot Dogs...but they sure sound wonderful...We eat alot of Hot Dogs at different places, but nothing beats one on the grill...er maybe deep fryer Dogs? Can you do that with Brats??? Let me know, as I would love to make deep fryer dogs.
    T.R. at...jon9thr@aol.com
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1