Hot!Oil-Less Turkey Fryer

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
brisketboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1117
2013/07/08 08:34:06 (permalink)

Oil-Less Turkey Fryer

Hi Roadfooders, I suddenly find myself with some extra funds and was thinking about purchasing one of these oil less turkey fryers. They have one down at the VFW but I have never seen it used or eaten anything that came out of it. I like fried turkey but am deathly afraid of burning my house down. Does anyone have some stories to share about this thing?

33 Replies Related Threads

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10324
    Re:Oil-Less Turkey Fryer 2013/07/08 22:37:11 (permalink)
    I DON'T KNOW ABOUT OIL LESS BUT THE BUTTERBALL ELECTRIC COUNTERTOP UNIT GETS GOOD MARKS FROM CONSUMER REPORTS.
    ELECTRIC UNITS ARE SAFER THAN OUTDOOR PROPANE UNITS BUT TO ME, HANGING OUT OUTSIDE WITH FAMILY & FRIENDS, HAVING A BREWSKI AND SMELLING THAT TURKEY COOK WHILE FIDDLING WITH THE TEMPERATURE CONTROL HAS A CERTAIN CAVE MAN INSTINCTIVE QUALITY TO IT!

EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4076
    Re:Oil-Less Turkey Fryer 2013/07/09 02:17:55 (permalink)
    I've got a Butterball, still unopened. Just trying to get the nerve to use it. Turkey in it of course would be good, but I have my heart set on a fried duck. I need to go to one of the big Asian markets here that sell oil in 5 gallon sizes.
    pnwchef
    • Total Posts : 2454
    Re:Oil-Less Turkey Fryer 2013/07/09 05:45:34 (permalink)
    Ed, your not the only one who is scared, I bet the Duck is shaking in his boots....
    brisketboy
    Re:Oil-Less Turkey Fryer 2013/07/09 08:18:58 (permalink)
    Ed, I have one of them Butterball/Masterbuilt tabletop fryers and couldn't be more pleased. The only problem I have with it is that after the oil cools, cleanup that was supposed to be easy, given the screw in drain spout just doesn't quite turn out that way. But safetywise there's no problem, at least not for me...yet.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18646
    Re:Oil-Less Turkey Fryer 2013/07/09 11:42:50 (permalink)
    EdSails

I've got a Butterball, still unopened. Just trying to get the nerve to use it. Turkey in it of course would be good, but I have my heart set on a fried duck. I need to go to one of the big Asian markets here that sell oil in 5 gallon sizes.

As much as I hate giving any business to them, if you have a Dick's sporting goods store near you check it out for five gallon sizes. The Dick's near us carries oil for the fryers they sell.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7017
    Re:Oil-Less Turkey Fryer 2013/07/09 12:16:49 (permalink)
    Ed
    I never thought of deep frying a duck.  Since you will probably be buying a frozen one (unless you have access to fresh Petaluma duck) I would recommend the following: 
    Thaw the duck.  Unwrap it.  Pat it inside and out with paper towels to get rid of the moisture.  Let sit uncovered on a plate in the fridge for 2-3 days.  This will dry it out even more.  I do this when I roast a duck to get a nice brown crispy skin.  Since you are deep frying it, the skin will come out crispy.......but it might be a good idea to get rid of as much moisture as you can. 
    Good luck!  Let us know how it turns out! 
    TWog
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 25
    Re:Oil-Less Turkey Fryer 2013/07/09 15:17:44 (permalink)
    I purchased one of the Big Easy oil-less fryers about three years ago. I have done turkeys in it every Thanksgiving and Christmas, and am very pleased with the results. I use either Cajun Injector marinades or make one myself.  I've also done pork loin in it, and it has turned out well. 

This recipe makes a delicious fried turkey:
        customcatering.net/Rec-Entr/FrTurkey.html
    post edited by TWog - 2013/07/09 15:19:45
    brisketboy
    Re:Oil-Less Turkey Fryer 2013/07/09 15:31:42 (permalink)
    Thanks TWog I'll try that. How do you think a duck will turn out in the thing?
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Oil-Less Turkey Fryer 2013/07/09 16:24:16 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

EdSails

As much as I hate giving any business to them, if you have a Dick's sporting goods store near you check it out for five gallon sizes. The Dick's near us carries oil for the fryers they sell.

I've got a Dick's a mile from me. Thanks, I'll check it out.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Oil-Less Turkey Fryer 2013/07/09 16:26:14 (permalink)
    lleechef

Ed
    I never thought of deep frying a duck.  Since you will probably be buying a frozen one (unless you have access to fresh Petaluma duck) I would recommend the following: 
    Thaw the duck.  Unwrap it.  Pat it inside and out with paper towels to get rid of the moisture.  Let sit uncovered on a plate in the fridge for 2-3 days.  This will dry it out even more.  I do this when I roast a duck to get a nice brown crispy skin.  Since you are deep frying it, the skin will come out crispy.......but it might be a good idea to get rid of as much moisture as you can. 

Thanks, I will try that. As I said, I just have to get up the nerve to fool around with gallons of hot oil!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18646
    Re:Oil-Less Turkey Fryer 2013/07/09 16:36:14 (permalink)
    EdSails

lleechef

Ed

Thanks, I will try that. As I said, I just have to get up the nerve to fool around with gallons of hot oil!

Good luck with that. I sure wouldn't mess with it, even though I love a deep-fried turkey.
    I leave it for someone else to do.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:Oil-Less Turkey Fryer 2013/07/09 16:37:47 (permalink)
    I'm not too crazy about hot oil either but I think you'll do OK! 
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8074
    Re:Oil-Less Turkey Fryer 2013/07/09 17:11:43 (permalink)
    Ed, be careful.

When I had the shop my insurance would not allow me to sell turkey fryers.  Way too dangerous.

I sent everyone to the competition. 
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:Oil-Less Turkey Fryer 2013/07/09 17:15:48 (permalink)
    I assisted RedPatti and her husband Jeff in doing a deep fried turkey.  It was no big deal.  Make sure the oil is the correct temp., that the turkey (or other poultry) is dry and at room temp.  Carefully lower it down.  Cook according to directions.  Eat and enjoy.  Easy peasy.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Oil-Less Turkey Fryer 2013/07/09 17:30:55 (permalink)
    lleechef

I assisted RedPatti and her husband Jeff in doing a deep fried turkey.  It was no big deal.  Make sure the oil is the correct temp., that the turkey (or other poultry) is dry and at room temp.  Carefully lower it down.  Cook according to directions.  Eat and enjoy.  Easy peasy.

I'll have to give them a call. Haven't seen them in 8 months or so. If anyone could show me the right way, it's Jeff.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:Oil-Less Turkey Fryer 2013/07/09 17:39:03 (permalink)
    EdSails

lleechef

I'll have to give them a call. Haven't seen them in 8 months or so. If anyone could show me the right way, it's Jeff.

Oh yeah.  His turkey was perfect!  If you talk to him, say hello from me!!! 

CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6442
    Re:Oil-Less Turkey Fryer 2013/07/09 19:13:52 (permalink)
    Alton Brown had some good ideas on Deep Frying Turkey on his show good eats. (Can't find the video link)

He used a step ladder and a pulley to make a "safe distance" turkey lowering rig.  It works perfectly, just looks a little odd.  but by doing it you can stand several feet away from the turkey butt volcano of boiling hot oil.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Oil-Less Turkey Fryer 2013/07/10 01:32:18 (permalink)
    A NEW PHOBIA!!!
    "FEAR OF FRYING!"
    NONSENSE!!!!!!!
    I've been Deep Frying Turkeys in a pot over a propane burner for over 20 years with no mishaps.
    All that's required is proper precautions and common sense.
    Well, sorry-------- I guess that common sense requirement rules out most people.
    Just forget I mentioned it.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8074
    Re:Oil-Less Turkey Fryer 2013/07/10 02:04:55 (permalink)
    All I was saying is that there can be problems.

Be careful.

EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Oil-Less Turkey Fryer 2013/07/10 17:19:14 (permalink)
    Foodbme

A NEW PHOBIA!!!
    "FEAR OF FRYING!"
    NONSENSE!!!!!!!
    I've been Deep Frying Turkeys in a pot over a propane burner for over 20 years with no mishaps.
    Well, sorry-------- I guess that common sense requirement rules out most people.

Well maybe you can enlighten me with what I should and shouldn't do? It would be much appreciated.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Oil-Less Turkey Fryer 2013/07/11 00:05:55 (permalink)
    EdSails

Foodbme

A NEW PHOBIA!!!
    "FEAR OF FRYING!"
    NONSENSE!!!!!!!

Well maybe you can enlighten me with what I should and shouldn't do? It would be much appreciated.

OK, HERE GOES:
    1. Select an open area with plenty of room all around the pot in case you need to move quickly. NEVER cook in a garage, covered patio, or porch.
    2. Put your burner on a LEVEL, FIRM surface. Don't set it on soft ground or grass
    3. KEEP CHILDREN & PETS, DRUNKS, VARMITS AND OTHER NER DO WELLS OUT OF THE AREA!
    4. Prior to cooking, put your turkey including the rack or basket, (I recommend a basket) you're going to cook it in into in the empty pot.
    5. Add water until the water covers 90% of the turkey.
    6. Remove the turkey and when the water settles, mark the inside of the pot with a sharpie at the water line and empty the pot.
    7. Dry pot thoroughly. Dry Turkey thoroughly. The bird should be completely thawed and near room temperature.
    8. That marker line is the level that you will fill the pot with PEANUT OIL BEFORE you put the turkey in. Fill the pot to the line.
    9. Set the pot on the burner and bring it up to 375-380 Degrees.
    10. You MUST have a long stemmed Turkey Fryer Thermometer for this whole cooking cycle. Don't attempt it without one.
    11. Wear an insulated glove to lower the Turkey in your rack or basket into the oil once it reaches 375-380.
    12. LOWER THE BASKET VERY SLOWLY INTO THE OIL . I REPEAT----VERY SLOWLY!
    13. THE OIL WILL BUBBLE AND SPIT DUE TO THE MOISTURE AND COLDER TEMP OF THE BIRD AND WILL EXPAND. THIS IS THE MOST DANGEROUS TIME OF THE PROCESS.
    14. Once the bubbling starts to slow down, the oil temp will be cooling down, reacting to the cold bird.
    15. If you need to add a little more oil to cover the bird, now's the time to do it.
    16. Once everything settles down, pop a Brewski!
    17. Once the temp gets down to around 350, you should try to hold it there by adjusting the gas flow as needed.
    18. As the bird starts cooking, the oil temp will start to rise so you'll need to watch it carefully and adjust gas flow as needed to try to maintain the temp as close to 350 as you can.
    19. Constant cooking temp is needed to evenly cook the bird.
    20. I generally figure 3 to 3.5 minutes per pound of bird. I figure about 45-50 minutes for a 14# Turkey.
    21. Remove the bird and let it drain over the pot. Set it on a solid surface on some paper towels to continue to drain. let it rest a little while.
    22. Use gloves when cutting it up to handle the hot meat & bones.
    23. ENJOY.
    I did not describe injecting it or various rubs. That's a whole other topic. And you don't need Alton Brown's Rube Goldberg Rig either!
    post edited by Foodbme - 2013/07/11 00:08:30
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Oil-Less Turkey Fryer 2013/07/11 01:20:22 (permalink)
    Thanks, foodbme. You explained a lot. I'm sure I'll have to adpt some of the techniques to the Butterball Fryer but it's good to see the way it should be done. I've got one of the cajun injectors so I'm on board with that as well as several home made rubs so I am good there. Well, next step-----buy a turkey!
    Although I am still thinking of duck, I'd rather do my first try on a much less expensive turkey.

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Oil-Less Turkey Fryer 2013/07/11 02:26:17 (permalink)
    EdSails
    Thanks, foodbme. You explained a lot. I'm sure I'll have to adpt some of the techniques to the Butterball Fryer but it's good to see the way it should be done. I've got one of the cajun injectors so I'm on board with that as well as several home made rubs so I am good there. Well, next step-----buy a turkey!
    Although I am still thinking of duck, I'd rather do my first try on a much less expensive turkey.

Just remember to follow step 16. That's essential!
    post edited by Foodbme - 2013/07/11 02:28:00
    wookman8
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 68
    Re:Oil-Less Turkey Fryer 2013/07/11 11:25:37 (permalink)
    Hi Ed. The Alton Brown video mentioned earlier is on youtube. Here is the link to part 1 of 3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E270Qx5OpxU

Being in Canada I've never seen this done but I would think it would be delicious. Just do this well away from anything flammable and have at least one 20 pound dry chem fire extinguisher nearby and not too much can go wrong (I was a trained fireman when I operated oil refinery units). Best of luck and be sure to take lots of photos for us.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    Re:Oil-Less Turkey Fryer 2013/07/11 15:26:07 (permalink)
    Alton's Video #2 on Deep Frying Turkey
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLNLYL24qUA

Alton's Video #3 with the turkey derrick
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9mq29BaLLk

You gotta love AB

Ed - For God's sake PLEASE DO NOT, and I will repeat, PLEASE DO NOT use the Purdue University method for lighting the fryer or your grill as seen here.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjPxDOEdsX8

FIRE!!! HEE HEE FIRE!!! HEE HEE

FIRE IS KEWL!
    (in my best Beevis and Butthead voices)
    post edited by CajunKing - 2013/07/11 15:46:02
    Laserwolf
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 45
    Re:Oil-Less Turkey Fryer 2013/11/07 17:35:24 (permalink)
    I bought a "Char-Broil The Big Easy Oil-Less Infrared Turkey Fryer" to use for Thanksgiving last year and it turned out pretty great. I was weighing whether or not I wanted a counter-top Turkey Fryer or the Infrared one and decided to go with the Oil-Less because of the extra cost of Peanut Oil and the additional cleanup rather than concerns of fire.

It worked pretty much like an outdoor oven except that it was much faster, the Turkey came out Crispy all over instead of with a Soggy Bottom, and I finally had plenty of Oven Room. I will point out that my Christmas Turkey attempt was a complete failure, but that was likely due to the below freezing weather which I think caused problems with both the propane and the cooking process itself.

Honestly I haven't touched it again since last December but I am greatly looking forward  to using it in November and if I can get just one or two(weather permitting) great Turkeys out of it a year it's well worth the $100.

CajunKing
    Sirloin
    Re:Oil-Less Turkey Fryer 2013/11/07 19:26:54 (permalink)
    Reb Laser - Welcome Back!!

I was looking at a neighbor's of dad's (he is doing it for turkey day)
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1329
    Re:Oil-Less Turkey Fryer 2013/11/08 10:09:28 (permalink)
    There's a word for Oil-less fried turkey: baked.

Bart
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8484
    Re:Oil-Less Turkey Fryer 2013/11/08 11:15:55 (permalink)
    As I was reading this thread, Bart, I thought the same thing. I have had oil fried and oil less, wasnt overly impressed.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1