Oklahoma City Next Month

Author
peppertree
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 302
2003/09/08 15:44:15 (permalink)

Oklahoma City Next Month

Next month I will be attending a convention in Oklahoma City. Meals will be provided, but I will have a few meals that I can take care of myself.

For those meals that I will take care of, which includes taking a friend who lives there out, here is what I will do.

First things first-About ten miles into Oklahoma is the first Carl's Jr. I will get a cholesterol supreme also known as a Western Bacon Double Cheeseburger. (How many posts do I need to get that designation?)

Abraham's Western Cafe 4920 Western for an onion burger lunch and large order of greasy fries. Open 6AM to 2:30 PM serving onion burgers for breakfast.

I will be getting in on a Sunday and the only place that I know of that is open on Sunday is Sherri's (50's style) Diner. 704 SW59th Street.

Beverly's Pancake House 2115 NW Expressway. For home cooked Fried Chicken.

Hideaway Pizza 63rd and Western (because of this site recommendation).

Bunny's Onion Burgers NW 50th st and Meridian. Always eat up lots of onion burgers in OKC.

On my way home, I will stop for a pizza at Brother's Pizza in Dallas located at 13317 Montfort, two blocks from the LBJ freeway. I may take an extra pie home as it is better that any pizza in Central Texas.

These may be all that I am able to get to, but I am open to suggestions.

11 Replies Related Threads

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7686
    RE: Oklahoma City Next Month 2003/09/08 15:54:01 (permalink)
    Can't pass up Leo's BBQ for their fantastic Beef Brisket BBQ. The place is a DUMP! But the Q is F A N T A S T I C !!!!!
    peppertree
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Oklahoma City Next Month 2003/09/08 16:01:01 (permalink)
    Thanks. There are many dumps with great food around the land. Only problem here is that there is a lot of good barbecue in this town (Austin) and no good onion burgers here. I like a little variety, but I will remember Leo's for the future.
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: Oklahoma City Next Month 2003/09/08 16:04:49 (permalink)
    "Pearl's" for seafood, on 63rd just east of Western (very close to Hideaway); Chellinos (spelling) for Mexican. I like the one in Bricktown, eating (and drinking) on the outside terrace overlooking the "ditch", but there is also one on Lake Hefner. I have eaten at several good places on Lake Hefner, but I don't recall the names because I usually went there as someone's guest. AND Cattlemen's Cafe at the stockyards south of town for great, reasonably priced steaks.
    I hope Hideaway meets your expectations. I rank them as my best ever, but my preference is very basic--pepperoni, sometimes with mushrooms and/or extra cheese. I always ask for very well done with crisply cooked pepperoni (with deep browned crust).
    Ralph Isbill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: Oklahoma City Next Month 2003/09/08 16:23:08 (permalink)
    There are some great suggestions here. Let me add if you like Mexican food try Taco San Pedro, 2301 S.W. 44th OKC. This is real Mexican food not taco bell. On the way south, about the last town in Oklahoma try Denims Restaurant, Marietta, OK. Good country food there. Enjoy your stay in Oklahoma.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7686
    RE: Oklahoma City Next Month 2003/09/08 16:24:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by peppertree

Thanks. There are many dumps with great food around the land. Only problem here is that there is a lot of good barbecue in this town (Austin) and no good onion burgers here. I like a little variety, but I will remember Leo's for the future.

Telling a Texan where to find good BBQ in Oklahoma?? That's like telling an ex New Yorker like myself where to find good Pizza in Philly. Surely you can find some in Philly, but looking for great Cheesesteaks, and Roast Pork Hoagies would be my first priority.
    peppertree
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Oklahoma City Next Month 2003/09/08 19:41:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:
    Originally posted by peppertree

Telling a Texan where to find good BBQ in Oklahoma?? That's like telling an ex New Yorker like myself where to find good Pizza in Philly. Surely you can find some in Philly, but looking for great Cheesesteaks, and Roast Pork Hoagies would be my first priority.

I may live in Texas but I am a New Yorker from Brooklyn and I will always be a New Yorker.

For anyone who is going through OKC, they excell in Onion Burgers. Onion Burgers' taste is not unike that taste of White Castle. The burgers come in all shapes and sizes and usually are served with good greasy fries.
    peppertree
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Oklahoma City Next Month 2003/09/08 20:30:35 (permalink)
    I forgot about all those great hamburger places in El Reno, Oklahoma. I will think about going there if there is time.
    Ralph Isbill
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Oklahoma City Next Month 2003/09/08 21:33:50 (permalink)
    Peppertree, I forgot about Fulton's Fried Pies on I-35 at Ardmore. You can't go wrong stopping there.
    signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Oklahoma City Next Month 2003/09/09 00:39:27 (permalink)
    Is Coits still around. Their homemade root beer was delicious.
    Ralph Isbill
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Oklahoma City Next Month 2003/09/09 04:51:29 (permalink)
    Yes Coits is still serving great hot dogs and root beer. There are now 3 of them. The original on S.W. 24th and Western, the other on N.W. 39th and Penn., and N.W. 50th and Portland.
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: Oklahoma City Next Month 2003/09/09 08:12:18 (permalink)
    If you crave a super "meat & 3" for lunch, try R. J.'s on Sante Fe. Meatloaf, chicken & dumplings and the like.
    AND, if you haven't already, take in the Muir building memorial (not just the outside, but the museum next door, too). The outside display is especially moving at night under the lights. It is remarkably well done.
    Also, the "Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum" on the north side can provide a very relaxing few hours looking at some of the best western art and sculpture (and County Line BBQ next door is good, too--but probably not as good as good Texas Q).
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1