Oklahoma Joe's Changing Name

Author
CNW
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 203
2014/08/29 02:26:05 (permalink)

Oklahoma Joe's Changing Name

Oklahoma Joe's has announced that they are changing their name to Joe's Kansas City BBQ. The name change has been it the works for a couple of years. Two years ago when I was helping BuddyRoadhouse at the American Royal BBQ Sauce booth, Oklahoma Joes donated at least 10 cases of sauce labeled Joe's Kansas City BBQ. Earlier this week there was a lot of speculation that the name changes was coming when a bunch of new merchandise for sale on the website no longer had Oklahoma on it. They decided to change the name because there hasn't been a connection to Oklahoma for 15 years. More information is available at www.kansascity.com. I would post the link but I ran out of my free views.

CNW

6 Replies Related Threads

kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 849
    Re: Oklahoma Joe's Changing Name 2014/08/29 08:11:03 (permalink)
    Ketteract
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 294
    Re: Oklahoma Joe's Changing Name 2014/08/29 09:07:45 (permalink)
    CNW
    They decided to change the name because there hasn't been a connection to Oklahoma for 15 years.

Ehh, the Sears Tower hasn't had anything to do with Sears in forever, but it's still the Sears Tower, not the *vomit* Willis Tower.  Same thing here.  Ah well.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3766
    Re: Oklahoma Joe's Changing Name 2014/08/29 10:57:55 (permalink)
    Amazing. It takes businesses years to build brand loyalty and then they throw it away.

This seems like a mistake, but I am sure they paid a consultant a good sum of money to tell them that this was the thing to do.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4317
    Re: Oklahoma Joe's Changing Name 2014/08/29 14:14:51 (permalink)
    Not necessarily.  The Kansas City population has great civic pride.  Walk around town on a Friday before a Chiefs game and the entire town is dressed in red, white, and yellow.  "Joe's Kansas City BBQ" sounds like an appeal to local vanity that may be just what's called for.

On the other hand, they've enjoyed critical acclaim (not mine) and long lines (just twice for me; both times a "meh" experience) at both locations since the day they opened.  What they hope to gain from a strictly business standpoint escapes me.

Buddy
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3766
    Re: Oklahoma Joe's Changing Name 2014/08/29 16:53:55 (permalink)
    Buddy - 

Their Facebook post reflects pretty much exactly what you say - except that you say it in a much more succinct manner. 

"PERHAPS YOU’VE HEARD…
    We’re changing our name to Joe’s Kansas City Bar-B-Que.
    We’ve been thinking about this and moving slowly, yet deliberately, in this direction for a few years now. Our retail sauce and fry seasoning bottles have carried the Joe’s Kansas City name for nearly two years. We’ve also used a logo with the Joe’s Kansas City name on our table caddies, on some inside signage, and online for some time now. Most folks haven’t noticed. Which is what we intended. It has been our hope to make this transition as seamless and painless as possible. Now, we’re nearing the end of that process. Sometime this fall, the transition will be complete..."

More available at the link.
    kennyb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 409
    Re: Oklahoma Joe's Changing Name 2014/09/01 12:07:36 (permalink)
    it will be hard to get used to calling it by another name.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1