Oklahoma Road Food

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
ebeach
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
2003/06/14 20:03:44 (permalink)

Oklahoma Road Food

This is the forum I should have posted this message. Sorry.
I am recently relocated in Northern Oklahoma. Would love some suggestions for some good reasonable road food here. I hear there is a great place for fried chicken in Okarchee....but don't know name. Also a favorite of mine is Chicken Fried Steak...any recommendations?

37 Replies Related Threads

Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Oklahoma Road Food 2003/06/14 20:20:39 (permalink)
    ebeach, please let me know what town in Oklahoma you've been sentenced to. I know tons of Okies, and I'll bet I could find your answer...
    ebeach
    Junior Burger
    RE: Oklahoma Road Food 2003/06/14 22:24:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

ebeach, please let me know what town in Oklahoma you've been sentenced to. I know tons of Okies, and I'll bet I could find your answer...

Great......I "live" in Enid, OK.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Oklahoma Road Food 2003/06/15 12:35:30 (permalink)
    My sympathies. I know a few people in Kingfisher, so give me a few days and I'll see what I can find out...
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15214
    RE: Oklahoma Road Food 2003/06/15 14:40:08 (permalink)
    Anytime you wander east of OK City on I-40, Go to Van's Pig Stand in Shawnee. It meets all the requirements for good BBQ.
    Lucky Bishop
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Oklahoma Road Food 2003/06/15 22:57:25 (permalink)
    If it's still there in Enid, Bud's Bar-B-Que at 1750 S Van Buren St. (405-234-6350) is worth a look.

Down in Henryetta, the Colonial Restaurant at 610 E Main (918-652-3285) serves a local specialty called a Henryetta Burger, which is a double bacon cheeseburger with a hot dog and a fried egg on top.

No, I'm not kidding.
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Oklahoma Road Food 2003/06/16 15:27:11 (permalink)
    McGeehee's catfish parlor is in Marietta and we have gone there every year on the day we leave our Lake Texhoma family reunion for over 25 years.

It is the best catfish in the world, hands down. It is served family style and it really is all you can eat. They keep the platters coming. Before your fish comes you are served a plate of hushpuppies, pickles, and onions to nibble on, and my favorite, the homemade green tomato relish.

The fish is crunchy, deep golden brown and perfectly seasoned. The fries are hand cut and fried to perfection.

The best way to enjoy it is to swim all day at Turner Falls and not eat a thing. We try to break our "platter record" every year.

Don't miss it!
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Oklahoma Road Food 2003/06/17 09:32:19 (permalink)
    ebeach, the place in Okarche is Eischen's. They say it's good.

If you want to drive a little further, do a search on the Roadfood home page for Oklahoma restaurants. There are a number in El Reno and Oklahoma City. Wanderingjew also recommended Leo's BBQ in OK City and Steve's Ribs in Edmond on his ballpark trip thread.

My goal was to find you some places closer to home, but the "expert" I want to talk to is on a fishing trip. (Retired people can do that.) I'll post again if he has any more suggestions, and I'll just bet he will.

You also might want to designate yourself the Roadfood Enid correspondent, and get out there and find us some places!
    ebeach
    Junior Burger
    RE: Oklahoma Road Food 2003/06/21 12:40:37 (permalink)
    Hi.

Truly appreciate all the suggestions and will certainly take one
    subscribers suggestion to "get out there" and find some places too.

Thank again to all of you.....[:)
    Bi for now
    Ed
    peppertree
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 302
    RE: Oklahoma Road Food 2003/06/21 18:39:49 (permalink)
    Bunny's Onion Burgers in OKC. They are around NW 50th St on the west side. I forgot the cross street. They are great. Yummy onion burgers, great fries and all large portions and like all OKC restaurants, cheap prices.

Abraham's - The premier onion burger in town. They are east of Bunny's and also near NW50th close to where the NW expressway ends.

Beverly's Fried Chicken. NW expressway -also near NW50th street. 50 years ago, they had about a dozen locations. For the last few years, they have had one location. Great fried chicken and side orders. This place was first reccommended to me by a 400 pound friend. James knows good places to eat.

Lots of other good local eateries there. Even Carl's Junior from California with their Western Bacon Double Cheeseburger. I eat there too when I visit OK. Trivia...Carl's Junior invented the all you can drink soft drink concept. Give them credit.
    MoBob
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 83
    RE: Oklahoma Road Food 2003/06/22 04:22:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

McGeehee's catfish parlor is in Marietta and we have gone there every year on the day we leave our Lake Texhoma family reunion for over 25 years.

It is the best catfish in the world, hands down. It is served family style and it really is all you can eat. They keep the platters coming. Before your fish comes you are served a plate of hushpuppies, pickles, and onions to nibble on, and my favorite, the homemade green tomato relish.

The fish is crunchy, deep golden brown and perfectly seasoned. The fries are hand cut and fried to perfection.

The best way to enjoy it is to swim all day at Turner Falls and not eat a thing. We try to break our "platter record" every year.

Don't miss it!

LoneStar...Is Megeehee's also called the Catfish Cabin?
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Oklahoma Road Food 2003/06/23 11:27:21 (permalink)
    MoBob - No, it has always just been McGeehee's in all the years we have gone there.

I think I remember a place called Catfish Cabin, but it is closer to Lake Texhoma around Kingsland. If it is the place I am thinking about, the fish was good, but they served those frozen crinkle fries, not the hand cut yummy ones.

BTW, McGeeHees also has a little grass airstrip for small planes. There are always a few planes coming and going with catfish loving pilots!
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: Oklahoma Road Food 2003/06/26 08:54:44 (permalink)
    Eischen's has great fried chicken. The only problem is, you have to order the whole chicken--and the only side offered is fried Okra. Both the chicken and okra are outstanding, but you should either take someone along or be very hungry when you get there. It is actually more like a cowtown bar where you can get your belly full of chicken and okra.
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Oklahoma Road Food 2003/06/26 09:05:26 (permalink)
    Try "Granny had one" in Guthrie. Good, robust home style cooking. Once upon a time this was an antique shop (one of many in Guthrie) and customers were always looking at the merchandise and commenting "granny had one of these".
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Oklahoma Road Food 2003/07/11 13:17:09 (permalink)
    Another true Roadfood place in OKC is "R.J.'s" on Santa Fe. Chicken and dumplings on Wednesday, Meatloaf on Thursday, great country cooking 5 days a week. (I have only been there at lunch, and I'm not sure if it is open at dinner). AND it was only $5.00 the last time I was there.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Oklahoma Road Food 2003/07/25 11:51:23 (permalink)
    try the Dutch Pantry ---100 ft west of the only stop light in Choutou---on rt69--ayce--every day they feature two different main courses--fried chicken,roastbeef,chicken fried steak,stoganoff,meatloaf,roast turkey--- and lot sides and desserts--including 3-4 cobblers,cakes pies, all home made by local Amish that run the place---and the Amish Cheese Shop around the corner on Hwy69 is a great stop too. And if you get down to Muskogee---on 11th street---Smokehouse Bobs Barbecue----generous servings of great gue--with hole cooked and often grown sides-killer beans!!!and slabs of freash sunwarm maters!!!and a fine sweet potato pie----my favorite barbeque in the area for sure.
    Howard Baratz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 449
    RE: Oklahoma Road Food 2003/07/25 14:37:10 (permalink)
    Also in Chouteau, OK is Ropp's, a small wonderful, Amish/Mennonite bakery just south of 412 and just west of the Route 69 (Chouteau) exit. Ropp's is set in a farmhouse and features fantastic pies (our favorite is mixed berry) and cookies (our favorite being a homemade version of Drake's Devil Dogs, called a Whoopie Cookie).
    PMc
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Oklahoma Road Food 2004/08/26 16:07:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ebeach

I am recently relocated in Northern Oklahoma. Would love some suggestions for some good reasonable road food here. I hear there is a great place for fried chicken in Okarchee....but don't know name. Also a favorite of mine is Chicken Fried Steak...any recommendations?

PMc
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Oklahoma Road Food 2004/08/26 16:18:59 (permalink)
    Sorry about the blank message...!
    The place you are looking for is called Eischens. Supposedly the absolute BEST fried chicken in Oklahoma. I have yet to get out that way, but I have folks that work with me that swear by it. They even convoy-up and go there in large groups.
    Eischens Bar, 405-263-9939, 108 N 2nd St, Okarche, OK, 73762

Really great classic Mexican (NOT Tex-Mex)is Cazuela's Grill...
    Cazuela's Grill 2624 W Britton Rd, Oklahoma City, OK 73120

Good steaks at a great price (and just a fun place) is Cimmaron Steak House, Just off I-40 on Meridian.
    Cimmaron Steak House, 201 N.Meridian, OKC
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15214
    RE: Oklahoma Road Food 2004/08/26 17:47:37 (permalink)
    We stopped at Bussey's BBQ in Miami,OK on our winter trip last February. A nice clean little BBQ place tucked right in the corner of OK,KS,MO less than a mile off the I-44. It made a nice break after the toll road emptiness.
    cindycat
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Oklahoma Road Food 2004/09/05 18:32:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Hillbilly

Another true Roadfood place in OKC is "R.J.'s" on Santa Fe. Chicken and dumplings on Wednesday, Meatloaf on Thursday, great country cooking 5 days a week. (I have only been there at lunch, and I'm not sure if it is open at dinner). AND it was only $5.00 the last time I was there.

Sorry to tell you - - RJ's closed a few months ago.
    hermitt4d
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Oklahoma Road Food 2004/09/05 21:42:25 (permalink)
    ebeach - are you still there??? or have you starved to death in Enid ?

Actually, Enid is the garden spot of NW Oklahoma . I had never seen this thread before; I posted recently about a road trip there and got no responses (suchasurprise).

I was a student (pre-ministerial) at Phillips U. in the 60s. Phillips went under a few years ago, a real shame.

I dilly-dallied with old friends along the way and didn't get to Enid until Sunday and had to leave early the next morning. The one place I wanted to try, Pak-a-Sak on E. Maine, was closed Sunday and not open by the time I left Monday AM. This is where I was introduced to sliders or bite-sized hamburgers. When the dorm cafeteria was closed (Sat and Sun eves) we would pile in cars and head down to Pak-a-Sak for 6 burgers for $.90. I don't remember much about them other than they had lots of mustard on them and were small -- probably pickle and onion, too, but whether it was raw onion or grilled I don't remember. I loved 'em and really wanted to taste them again. Pak-a-Sak is still there, (I got a picture) but the signs in the window gave no indication they still serve the small burgers.

I didn't have a car when I was there as a student so didn't get around town much but this time I came across another place on Grande, a few blocks north of the railroad overpass, that looked interesting. Look at Michael Stern's review of Robert's in El Reno on this site and that's pretty much what the building looks like so I'm sure its been there a long time.

I had my new digital camera along and was having a great time taking pics; if I ever figure out how to get them loaded in the computer, I'll come back to this thread and post. I was so excited about looking at the pics I took, I forgot to check out the menu of this other place, but I'm sure it was hamburgers and such.

Other than that, I didn't see much in Enid -- saw the Carl's Jr. and Taco Bueno. The Yellow pages listed a Lot-a-burger on Willow, but that's apparently now 'GeneBurger,' and, yes, it was closed, too.
    bottom-dragger
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: Oklahoma Road Food 2004/09/06 10:12:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

okies?? didn't they all go to california/arizona in the 30's? i grew up in ok, my mama/grandmom taught me that okie was not a nice word.

but, if you're in north tulsa, wilson's bbq on apache. buckets of atmosphere.

joe
    petersburg, alaska
    former oklahoman, don't call me an okie
    andie
    Junior Burger
    RE: Oklahoma Road Food 2004/09/07 23:29:48 (permalink)
    I grew up just outside of Enid so I have some suggestions. I haven't been there to eat in a couple of years because I moved so some of these might be closed by now. But my favorites were always:
    Pac-A-Sack (by St. Marys hospital) Great Burgers!
    Lot-A-Burger (W. Willow) Even Better Burgers
    La Fiesta (Owen K.) It was amazing mexican a long time ago before they were popular. Now Im not so sure if it is as good as it used to be, but definately the best you are going to find in Enid.
    Wee Two (N 4th, by the fair grounds) Wonderful breakfast, very down home.

If your wanting to go out to a place a little nicer than those but dont want to do the Chili's/Applebee's thing, I suggest Pastimes. Its downtown by the ball park. They have great food and a fun atmosphere. I always ate the chicken sandwich with honey mustard.

If your new to the Oklahoma/South area, make sure you stop at Sonic. I don't know any full-blooded Okie that can make it an entire summer without a Cherry Lime-Aide.

One other note: I suggest you buy your beef from United grocery stores. They always support the local FFA chapters by buying the top show cattle. You never have to wonder if the beef is good quality, its always the best you can get. I hate that we dont have any stores like that here in the city. I really miss United Stores.

Good Luck in Enid!
    rwarn17588
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 35
    RE: Oklahoma Road Food 2004/09/08 00:50:47 (permalink)
    My wife and I recently stopped in a place called Lucille's on U.S. 77 in Mulhall. It's in a big, stone bank building, where they use the old teller booths as a bar, so it has a unique atmosphere. It could have been a case of hitting the place on a really good day, but the fried-chicken meal I had was excellent, and my wife really liked the filet minon.

In Tulsa, where I live, favorites include Ron's Hamburgers and Chili and Weber's Root Beer, both of which have several locations. The Metro Diner and Talley's are good, too.
    iceomat
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 104
    RE: Oklahoma Road Food 2005/01/24 21:42:11 (permalink)
    If you ever find yourself in North-Central Oklahoma, I recommend stopping at the Kumback Lunch in Perry. It's just about a mile off I-35 on the town square. Good home-style cookin' and great pies.
    Ralph Isbill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: Oklahoma Road Food 2005/01/24 22:39:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Hillbilly

I am sorry to report that R.J.s has closed
    Ralph Isbill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: Oklahoma Road Food 2005/01/24 22:44:46 (permalink)
    Please do not confuse Catfish Cabin in the Oklahoma City Metro with any good catfish place.

As an Oklahoma born, Cal. raised, one who returned to Oklahoma and glad of it. I am a OKIEand proud of it!!
    brianrm2358
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Oklahoma Road Food 2005/02/20 19:09:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ebeach

brianrm2358
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Oklahoma Road Food 2005/02/20 19:14:45 (permalink)
    lucilles in mulhall; old timey bluegrass most thursday nights, bluegrass or some other kind of acoustical music fridays and saturday nights. The locals sometimes move the tables out of the way after the crowd thins out and dances, especially to Cami Stinsons western swing fiddle music. it is classic rural oklahoma, kids running around, and people visiting each other, large families..... the way it ought to be. Great food, steaks, chicken fry, and chicken and catfish.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1