Old Carolina BBQ, and Hog Heaven

Author
bbqjimbob
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
2007/02/17 04:00:45 (permalink)

Old Carolina BBQ, and Hog Heaven

For too long now, I've been jealous of those who live near a real bbq joint, and can have real bbq whenever they want. I have recently become aware of a local BBQ restaurant called Hog Heaven, and a new one called Old Carolina BBQ. They are located in Stark County, Ohio- Hog Heaven in Canton, Ohio, and Old Carolina BBQ in Massillon and Belden Village, Ohio. I'm curious to know if anyone has tried either of them, or if you know of anyone who has tried them, and what you or they think?

4 Replies Related Threads

bbqjimbob
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Old Carolina BBQ, and Hog Heaven 2007/03/21 22:23:55 (permalink)
    I answered my own question, and for those of you who care, or may be in these neck of the woods looking for good BBQ- Hog Heaven "cooks" their so called BBQ in ovens, with no smoke or pit whatsoever. The only item on their menu to even see the "open-Flame BBQ" that they advertise is their ribs, and only for the last few minutes, in order to caramelize the sauce. Their pulled pork and ribs are very bland, and their brisket tastes like medicine. On the other hand, and other end of the scale, is Old Carolina BBQ. They smoke everything over hickory wood, low and slow, just like it's supposed to be, and the end product proves it. We've had their pulled pork and brisket, and they are both very good- you can taste the smoke and can tell that they take pride in their smoked meats. The only better BBQ that I've had is when I smoke meat in my smoker at home. So- if you're ever in the Stark County area, and are looking for good BBQ- pass on Hog Heaven, and go to Old Carolina BBQ, instead!
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6531
    RE: Old Carolina BBQ, and Hog Heaven 2007/03/22 10:29:08 (permalink)
    Thanx bbqjimbob

I get up that way every other month or so, i will have to try OCBBQ.

SRB
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 92
    RE: Old Carolina BBQ, and Hog Heaven 2007/10/19 09:44:02 (permalink)
    I second the motion on Hog Heaven - give it a miss. Haven't had a chance to try Old Carolina, but I've heard good things.

For a real Roadfood experience, however, you need to go to Kennedy Barbecue on 7th Street, near the McKinley Memorial. It's not much more than a shack, but it's a Canton institution. It's been years since I've been there, but as I recall it's smoked pork shoulder or ham. They don't have any sauce - they serve a homemade relish with the meat instead. It's not Southern BBQ at all, but it's quite good, and it's one-of-a-kind. They're also known for their bean soup.
    bbqjimbob
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Old Carolina BBQ, and Hog Heaven 2008/01/23 05:14:19 (permalink)
    For any of you who may be in the area- Canton or Massillon, Ohio- Old Carolina BBQ is having a customer appreciation day today- 1/23/08. They are giving away 8oz pulled pork sandwiches, and are selling full slabs of ribs for only $10.00.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1