Old Fashioned Southern Style Yeast Bread

Author
Rex
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 109
2003/11/06 14:07:56 (permalink)

Old Fashioned Southern Style Yeast Bread

Hi, I am new to this forum. I am in search of an incredibly hard to find bread recipe. I am hoping someone here will be familiar with what I am talking about and may be able to help.

I grew up in Stokes County North Carolina and my grandmother, aunts, etc all made a particular type of white bread from scratch. Let me explain:

It is your basic white bread but the dough is much denser, with a very yeasty flavor. At the point of the dough being divided into two loaves..each loaf of dough is divided yet again into portions that are rolled out into strips and laid in the loaf pan. They are allowed to rise, then baked.

When they come out of the oven and cooled you can literally pull a part off the loaf just like a slice but much thicker. Each loaf might yield 12 slices or less.

If anyone knows what this bread is called or how to get the recipe for it I would be extremely grateful.

I never thought as a younger person that I would care about such things. But since most all the relatives are gone now and the ones left don't know how to make it...I am more or less lost.

I have checked the net under every possible concievable description but come up with nothing...and I have never ever seen the likes of this bread anywhere else in the US in my travels. I am thinking this recipe may in fact be indigenous to this locale. But I am not sure.

Thanks to anyone who can help with this in anyway.

10 Replies Related Threads

chezkatie
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Old Fashioned Southern Style Yeast Bread 2003/11/06 15:36:53 (permalink)
    This bread certainly sounds interesting.........I will look through my Southern cookbooks and my bread making cookbooks and see if I can find a recipe..........you are right about not being able to find it on the web!
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2880
    RE: Old Fashioned Southern Style Yeast Bread 2003/11/06 17:50:40 (permalink)
    There is a pull-apart bread where the pieces are dipped in butter before being stuck back together to bake. It's called monkey bread. You can search that on the net to see if it is similar, or I have a recipe somewhere.
    chezkatie
    RE: Old Fashioned Southern Style Yeast Bread 2003/11/06 20:06:07 (permalink)
    I have not come up with any recipe to match what you are looking for but here are my suggestions. Just take the dough for a loaf of bread and divide it into 12 and roll it out as much as you can. Put them into the bread pan, one strip at a time. Do not let raise as long as bread recipe calls for. I am not the ultimate baker of bread but understand that under raised bread has a much more "yeasty" taste. If I ever come upon a recipe, I will let you know......but this would be a good place to start. Good Luck!

Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Old Fashioned Southern Style Yeast Bread 2003/11/06 23:17:00 (permalink)
    Rex; All Y'all,
    I believe to my soul that Spalding's Bakery in downtown Lexington, Kentucky turns out this very bread on a small-scale commercial basis (you'd have to buy it there). Perhaps one of you is close enough to be of more help than I can be.
    This sounds mightily interesting. I wish y'all lots of luck in hunting up that recipe.
    Self-Rising Myself (As I Stand Up To Prove It), Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia, Home Of The Yeasty Boys (our Monthly Beer Tasting Group).
    Rex
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Old Fashioned Southern Style Yeast Bread 2003/11/08 06:50:17 (permalink)
    Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to this thread. I will check on the monkey bread for sure. Never heard of that before..lol

About trying it with a loaf recipe...I never bake myself..but would be willing to try with this bread. I wondered to myself during the wading thru of recipes on the net whether or not the way the regular white bread is handled....would make a difference.

I remember asking my mother once how it was made and all she said was there wasn't anything to it...it was just bread; milk, flour and crisco....lol Gotta love those spoken recipes. Anyway she never elaborated beyond that and I have noticed not that many recipes that I have seen call for crisco (shortening).

But with the overwhelming yeast taste and the very denseness of the bread makes it stand out and you know you have eaten something distinctly different.

Thanks again to all and I'm sorry it took so long for me to get back to this.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Old Fashioned Southern Style Yeast Bread 2003/11/08 17:46:40 (permalink)
    I have a loaf of French bread rising right now that uses Crisco (but no milk). Maybe I'll check some of my farm baking books when I get a chance. Those ingredients give me more to go on.
    chezkatie
    RE: Old Fashioned Southern Style Yeast Bread 2003/11/08 21:10:42 (permalink)
    I have gone through at least 30 Southern cookbooks and 15 bread baking books and have not come up with a thing! On Monday, I intend to try making this bread and will let you know what happens!
    Rex
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Old Fashioned Southern Style Yeast Bread 2003/11/09 14:18:03 (permalink)
    I talked to one of the old restaurants in the area that have been around for years and years and I used to go there way back when I was a kid...(40 years ago ;) ) and they had a small southern style buffet...that served that bread. I used to know the couple who ran it but they are both passed away now and the restaurant changed hands...several times. I took a chance and called them and asked about the bread.

The lady I spoke to was the current owner and she remembered the bread and gave me a recipe for it. But I wasn't sure about it because she was telling me how many rolls it made and how much bread it made. Here is what the recipe was:

4 cups flour, 2.5 c milk, .5 c sugar, 2 tsp salt, .5 c oil, 4 tsp yeast, 2 eggs

Heat milk, sugar, oil, salt to 110-115 degrees. Blend flour & yeast. Mix liquid & dry ingredients, add eggs and work the dough for about 10 minutes. Knead and cover in a greased bowl. Bake 350 - 375 depending on oven.

I double checked it with her and asked her if this bread had a heavy yeast flavor and was very dense. She said yes and that they did not make the pull apart bread anymore because it was not cost effective...lol So I don't know. I guess what I am going to do is try it and see for myself. But the oil part is what makes me wonder. I feel like the shortening is significant to the recipe for the texture and taste.

But who knows? lol I am not a baker and have no clue as to how to substitute ingredients. But will keep looking.

Thanks to all of you for checking in and letting me know what you think and what you may have discovered.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Old Fashioned Southern Style Yeast Bread 2003/11/10 01:54:27 (permalink)
    That .5 is going to mess someone up...recipe measurements are only done as fractions. Good luck and don't forget to let the dough rise after covering...once for about 45 minutes, then punch down and form into loaves and let rise a second time for an hour. It will probably need about a half an hour baking timme.Knock on it and if it sounds hollow it is done.
    Rex
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Old Fashioned Southern Style Yeast Bread 2003/11/12 14:04:22 (permalink)
    yes I realize that the .5 was not proper measurement...was trying to do it the guy way...lol But my apologies if I confused anyone and thanks again for the tips EliseT. It was appreciated
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1