Old Wisconsin Brats ?

Author
ken8038
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1599
2011/06/13 21:10:20 (permalink)

Old Wisconsin Brats ?

My local Aldi store in South Plainfield NJ is carrying Old Wisconsin Brats from Sheboygan. I just bought a  1.5 lb. pack, at a very reasonable $4.69 for the pack. We'll probably have these for fathers day (I get to choose the meal).

Has anyone tried these? Do they have a good reputation in Wisconsin, or are they run of the mill? Are they a small local company or widely distributed?

Here's their website, which doesn't have much information:
http://www.oldwisconsin.com/about-us.html

Thanks for any input. I've never seen these in New Jersey before.

8 Replies Related Threads

MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3154
    Re:Old Wisconsin Brats ? 2011/06/13 22:16:01 (permalink)
    Old Wisconsin products are usually value priced around here. I'm not a fan of their summer sausage or hot dogs but that doesn't mean the brats aren't good. Last year we had a huge brat cookoff and Aldi's came in a close second. Those however were made to Aldi's specs by Klement's Sausage. I've never tried Old Wisconsin brats. Keep us filled in. Those are fresh brats I take it as opposed to smoked? They are a fairly good sized regional sausagemaker but I would have guessed limited to Wisconsin. They are better known for selling beef sticks.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8365
    Re:Old Wisconsin Brats ? 2011/06/14 04:13:31 (permalink)
    I too, would be interested as to what your opinion is. Not a big fan of Old Wisconsin products.
    John Fox
    • Total Posts : 2336
    Re:Old Wisconsin Brats ? 2011/06/14 07:21:48 (permalink)
    I just found out that an Aldi's has opened in my town. I'll be trying these brats soon. The Union Pork Store (also in my town) has a reputation for good brats. They are the best I've tasted so far. I wonder how they would compare to those in Wisconsin.
    ken8038
    Re:Old Wisconsin Brats ? 2011/06/14 08:08:48 (permalink)
    <<Those are fresh brats I take it as opposed to smoked?>>

Sorry, I should have mentioned it, but they are pre-cooked (smoked). The only brand of packaged fresh brats I usually see around here is Johnsonville, although several German butchers in NJ (including the Union Pork store mentioned above by John) make thier own fresh brats as well as the smoked variety.

Thanks for the info on Old Wisconsin. I'll come back with a taste report after Sunday. 
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4237
    Re:Old Wisconsin Brats ? 2011/06/14 12:57:23 (permalink)
    John Fox
    I just found out that an Aldi's has opened in my town. I'll be trying these brats soon.

Keep in mind that Aldi stocks several varieties of brats; including a smoked version that appears to be imported from Germany.  All of the varieties carried are made for Aldi, but I'm not sure what the difference is between them.  Although I was at that brat tasting, other than knowing it came from Aldi, I couldn't tell you which "brand name" we sampled.

BTW, the smoked brats and Thuringers that are imported from Germany are very good, but they are only available at certain times of the year; Oktoberfest being one of them.

Buddy
    ChicagoIrish
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 74
    Re:Old Wisconsin Brats ? 2011/06/14 13:06:47 (permalink)
    If I remember correctly, the brand at Aldi that Klement's makes is Roseland.
    John Fox
    • Total Posts : 2336
    Re:Old Wisconsin Brats ? 2011/06/14 14:25:10 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse

John Fox
    I just found out that an Aldi's has opened in my town. I'll be trying these brats soon.

Keep in mind that Aldi stocks several varieties of brats; including a smoked version that appears to be imported from Germany.  All of the varieties carried are made for Aldi, but I'm not sure what the difference is between them.  Although I was at that brat tasting, other than knowing it came from Aldi, I couldn't tell you which "brand name" we sampled.

BTW, the smoked brats and Thuringers that are imported from Germany are very good, but they are only available at certain times of the year; Oktoberfest being one of them.

Buddy

Thanks. I stopped in today and saw the Old Wisconsin brand as well as one or two others. Parkland was one I think. I'll be trying them soon. I didn't see any labelled Roseland.
    ken8038
    Re:Old Wisconsin Brats ? 2011/06/20 15:08:28 (permalink)
    I had trouble finding this thread as I wanted to report back on these Brats. Apparently the moderators decided to play Hide The Bratwurst with my post and moved it to "Food Related" as opposed to a thread about Bratwurst being in "Hot Dogs Sausages and Bratwursts"....

Anyway, those "Food Related" white tubular things I had on the grill for Father's Day were very tasty indeed. I especially liked the texture and great snap and mouth feel. The flavor was not quite up there with the best local butcher store "food related" white tubular things, but then again they were about 1/2 the price, and MUCH better than some other "food related" white tubular things available in supermarkets.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1