Old stlye Coke with sugar

Author
DLnWPBrown
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 832
2008/09/28 19:46:04 (permalink)

Old stlye Coke with sugar

Hey all,

I stopped by a local convience store that caters to the Hispanic population and made an incredible discovery, they had Coca-Cola imported from Mexico made with 100% sugar.

They came in 1/2 litre glass bottles for $1.89 each and had a paper sticker stuck them telling you where the bottles were returnable in certain states and that they were imported.

I bought 2 bottles, and had one opened for me, ice cold and tasted like my youth. I brought the other home for my wife to enjoy who commented it tasted so much better. I have actually gotten to the point I won't drink Coke out of plastic bottles anymore as they taste even worse, I'll drink from a can and it does taste somewhat better.

For those of you in my area, the store is located at the intersection of High House & Old Apex Road in Cary... it is the High House Mini Mart.

Dennis in Cary

15 Replies Related Threads

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8695
    RE: Old stlye Coke with sugar 2008/09/28 20:21:14 (permalink)
    We absolutely love the coke made with sugar, as opposed to corn syrup.Have only found it in so.cal.Good find, my friend!Will be in the area early Oct.-thanks for the heads up!
    Luvstoeat
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: Old stlye Coke with sugar 2008/09/28 20:47:48 (permalink)
    Wait until Passover (in 2009 it will be in early April). Any soda which is kosher for Passover will contain sugar and not corn syrup. This includes Coca Cola!
    rumaki
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1085
    RE: Old stlye Coke with sugar 2008/09/28 20:54:54 (permalink)
    There are several threads on this site about Kosher Coca-Cola. It's available in different packaging in different parts of the country. In some places, you can get it in plastic liter bottles with a yellow cap. Here in the Twin Cities, we can get it in cans (marked with the "Kosher for Passover" seal), which I think tastes much better than the same product in the plastic bottle. But the Coca-Cola itself is the same. It is always pure sugar only, in accordance with "Kosher for Passover" dietary laws.

The Rainbow grocery store chain here carries Mexican Coca-Cola in glass bottles, as do some of the Latino markets. It is expensive, but it is good. However, I think someone on one of the other threads reported that not ALL Mexican Coke has nothing but sugar in it -- apparently sometimes it contains corn syrup. (I don't know this for a fact. All the Mexican Coca-Cola I've found here tastes like pure sugar to me.)
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2165
    RE: Old stlye Coke with sugar 2008/09/28 22:53:02 (permalink)
    I have also found that Coke bottled in Baton Rouge, LA. is made with cane sugar.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    RE: Old stlye Coke with sugar 2008/09/29 08:25:51 (permalink)
    Can someone save me the agony of going through the old threads and tell me why HFCS isn't Kosher?

And seeing how it isn't why don't they feel compelled to bottle it all year long for their Kosher-only customers?

mousec
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 303
    RE: Old stlye Coke with sugar 2008/09/29 08:38:20 (permalink)
    Mexican Coke has always been a mystery to me. Where I have seen it available in the Chicagoland area there is always a sticker that lists out the ingredients which states that it is made with either sugar or HFCS. Therefore you may be purchasing a product you think is made entirely with sugar when in fact it is HFCS.

On the otherhand there are Mexican sodas available for purchase made with sugar such as the Jarritos and Sirdal Mundet (carbonated apple drink). When I am not drinking a horchata these are my beverages of choice (especailly grapefruit Jarritos) with my Mexican meals.
    IansMom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: Old stlye Coke with sugar 2008/09/29 10:25:31 (permalink)
    HFCS isn't kosher for Passover because corn is considered a grain, which could be considered leven, it spouts and so it raises.. it's weird I know but thats what the rabbis say. Suger on the other hand isn't leven....HFCS can be eaten or drunk as the case maybe any other time
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: Old stlye Coke with sugar 2008/09/29 11:45:03 (permalink)
    A friend of mine told me that Costco is selling coca-cola made with real sugar.
    Even though I'm a card carrying member, I haven't been to Costco in a month or so. Plus, I rarely buy indivdual servings packages, I only buy 2 liter bottles for the home.
    Anyone else find coke made with sugar at Costco?
    phatphil
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 670
    RE: Old stlye Coke with sugar 2008/09/29 14:16:12 (permalink)
    IM AN INSURANCE ADJUSTER AND ALL THE ROACH COACHES ( CATERING TRUCKS)THAT STOP AT THE BODY SHOPS I GO TO ALL HAVE REAL SUGAR TALL GLASS 16OZ BOTTLES OF PEPSI, COKE, AND OTHERS THAT HAVE A PAPER EXPORT STICKER ATTACHED AND THE INGREDEANTS ARE IN SPANISH BUT ALL HAVE SUGAR AND NO FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUPS AT ALL. ONE TASTE DOES BRING BACK MEMORIES, DOES ANYONE KNOW WHEN COKE AND PEPSI SWITCHED OVER TO HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP FROM SUGAR?
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6361
    RE: Old stlye Coke with sugar 2008/09/29 14:18:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scorereader

Even though I'm a card carrying member, I haven't been to Costco in a month or so. Plus, I rarely buy indivdual servings packages, I only buy 2 liter bottles for the home.

Do all Costco's carry real sugar Coke??? I thought our's had Corn Syrup!!!
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: Old stlye Coke with sugar 2008/09/29 14:25:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by leethebard

quote:
    Originally posted by Scorereader

Do all Costco's carry real sugar Coke??? I thought our's had Corn Syrup!!!

that's what he said. Not ALL their coke, but he said they do sell coke with real sugar, not HFCS. I don't know if it's accurate, though. That's what I want to know! is this every Costco? (I wouldn't think there'd be differences)
    stricken_detective
    • Total Posts : 2346
    RE: Old stlye Coke with sugar 2008/09/30 00:28:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by annpeeples

We absolutely love the coke made with sugar, as opposed to corn syrup.Have only found it in so.cal.Good find, my friend!Will be in the area early Oct.-thanks for the heads up!

Pick N Save on Silvernail just off Grandview/T has a small Hispanic section that has real Coke.

Also there are 2 Mexican grocery stores (Super Amigo & Panos Fruteria) in Waukesha that have it.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8695
    RE: Old stlye Coke with sugar 2008/09/30 09:52:53 (permalink)
    I am soooooooooo there!!!Thanks Aimee!
    MGWerks
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 231
    RE: Old stlye Coke with sugar 2008/10/01 20:58:51 (permalink)
    Generally you will find that the only Coke available with sugar is the "imported' Coke from Mexico and the kosher Coke that is produced in small batches around Passover.

Dr. Pepper produces a non-HFCS sugar version at it's plant in Dublin, TX.
    porkchopexpress
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Old stlye Coke with sugar 2008/10/01 21:08:51 (permalink)
    My Sam's club in Tn is carrying the coke with real sugar in the 16oz glass bottles
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1