Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
2008/02/18 21:38:49 (permalink)

Old-time "Frozen Custard" Stands.

Dearfolk,
On West Broad Street here in Athens is a BBQ place inside what used to be one of two locations of the Arctic Girl, a frozen custard place. The second location (utterly obliterated by U. Ga. growth) was on South Lumpkin Street; it later moved to Baxter Street into a nondescript building, then closed.
Now -- what I'm hunting here is this: do any of you have one of those old '40's-to'50's "frozen custard" places still operating near you? I'm not talking any chains here, like Dairy Queen or Tastee-Freez... I'm thinking of the likes of one I just unearthed, Bobbie's Dairy Dip at 5301 Charlotte Pike in Nashville, TN.
I can't wait to see what y'all turn up. Have a cone for me.
Getting The Scoop, Ort. Carlton in Double-Dip Athens, Georgia.
P. S. You should have seen the Arctic Girl's neon sign when it was working... she was eating like 12 flavors at once! -- The sign is simply covered over; if uncovered, it might even still work... but J. B. doesn't want to find out for fear of burning his building down!

38 Replies Related Threads

Holly Moore
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 313
    RE: Old-time "Frozen Custard" Stands. 2008/02/18 22:00:01 (permalink)
    Two that immediately come to mind - Carl's Frozen Custard in Fredericksburg VA and Ted Drewe's in St. Louis. It's probably good that neither is near my neighborhood.
    zataar
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1440
    RE: Old-time "Frozen Custard" Stands. 2008/02/18 22:14:16 (permalink)
    No concrete for me anymore. Give me a custard sundae from Ted Drewe's; Dutchman Delight! I like the custard and the other additions not smushed all together, but separate in all their glory. I have never had crispier pecans and better butterscotch than on a Dutchman Delight sundae at Ted Drewe's. Thankfully not more than once or twice a year.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6311
    RE: Old-time "Frozen Custard" Stands. 2008/02/18 22:55:34 (permalink)
    In Jesey, all along our various boardwalks,we have Kohr's Frozen custard stands...still like I remember them in the 50's...a flash from the past!
    TerrierMom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 108
    RE: Old-time "Frozen Custard" Stands. 2008/02/18 23:11:27 (permalink)
    There is a small family farm near me. They sell fruits,veggies, Christmas trees, and hay. They run hay rides in fall. They have several varieties of farm animals for sort of petting zoo. Chickens, goats, donkey, pony, cow, and two huge Percheron draft horses. They also have a frozen custard stand. Vanilla, Chocolate, and Twist, with all the fixin's and toppings. They will even put their own pure maple syrup on as a topping. A few times I have seen maple flavored custard!
    ayersian
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: Old-time "Frozen Custard" Stands. 2008/02/18 23:13:36 (permalink)
    Mr. Carlton, there are several in Maine near where we used to live: Hodgman's in New Gloucester, Ruby Rose in Poland and Auburn, and Classic Custard in Freeport (the only one we haven't visited). And the most amazing? Coffee brandy custard at Ruby Rose in Poland...though I've only eaten/seen it once, as it was the flavor of the day! Chris
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10379
    RE: Old-time "Frozen Custard" Stands. 2008/02/18 23:13:55 (permalink)
    Leon's in Milwaukee is as good as I have had anywhere and there is the added bonus of the great old sign. You also have to love that they are open year round.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=2187&RefID=2152
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7012
    RE: Old-time "Frozen Custard" Stands. 2008/02/19 04:18:46 (permalink)
    buffetbuster will correct me if I'm wrong but there's a place between Rochester PA and New Brighton PA called ?Jerry's? They make all their own frozen custard.......blackberry, blueberry, strawberry, black walnut, maple, etc. The lines in the summer are not to be believed. A little hole in the wall off the beaten path but they make the best frozen custard I ever ate. Haven't had one there in 20 years.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Old-time "Frozen Custard" Stands. 2008/02/19 07:02:46 (permalink)
    lleechef-
    You are undoubtedly thinking about Hank's Frozen Custard. I especially love their black raspberry and banana!
    Niagara
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 984
    RE: Old-time "Frozen Custard" Stands. 2008/02/19 10:13:22 (permalink)
    Anderson's Frozen Custard in Buffalo, NY.

Tom Wahl's in Avon, NY, with branches in the Rochester area.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7012
    RE: Old-time "Frozen Custard" Stands. 2008/02/19 17:53:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by buffetbuster

lleechef-
    You are undoubtedly thinking about Hank's Frozen Custard. I especially love their black raspberry and banana!

Thanks bb, you're right, the name is Hank's! When I was a kid and we would pass by and the "black raspberry" sign was up, hold on! Mom turned in and would have to get one.
    phlmaestro2000
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 109
    RE: Old-time "Frozen Custard" Stands. 2008/02/19 18:13:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

buffetbuster will correct me if I'm wrong but there's a place between Rochester PA and New Brighton PA called ?Jerry's? They make all their own frozen custard.......blackberry, blueberry, strawberry, black walnut, maple, etc. The lines in the summer are not to be believed. A little hole in the wall off the beaten path but they make the best frozen custard I ever ate. Haven't had one there in 20 years.

Could it be Kenny's? I know a local food writer in Philly wrote a piece a few years back in which he raved about the frozen custard at a place called Kenny's Drive-In I believe somewhere in central or south-central PA. http://www.kennysdrivein.com/Philadelphia_Inquirer_17JUL02.html

There is also a PA chain called The Meadow's Frozen Custard. Their web site claims that their original stand from the 50s is still in operation.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Old-time "Frozen Custard" Stands. 2008/02/19 18:59:24 (permalink)
    phlmaestro200-
    I read the article in the link and Kenny's sure does sound like a great place. But the custard stand lleechef was referring too is definitely Hank's. The distance between New Brighton and Rochester has to be less than a mile, so there isn't too many other places it could possibly be.
    janifer
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 71
    RE: Old-time "Frozen Custard" Stands. 2008/02/19 19:09:22 (permalink)
    Stoddard's Frozen Custard
    1321 W Main St
    Kent, OH 44240
    (330) 673-2991
    stoddardsfrozencustard.com

They're closed for the season now, but this is one place that is still on my "must! go" list every time I go back home.
    phlmaestro2000
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 109
    RE: Old-time "Frozen Custard" Stands. 2008/02/19 20:03:25 (permalink)
    quote:

phlmaestro200-
    I read the article in the link and Kenny's sure does sound like a great place. But the custard stand lleechef was referring too is definitely Hank's. The distance between New Brighton and Rochester has to be less than a mile, so there isn't too many other places it could possibly be.

Thanks Buffetbuster. I'm not very good with the layout of the various small towns between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. I wish we had more options for frozen custard in the Philly area. The only place I'm aware of in the entire metro area is Zwalhens in the western suburbs. I've taken a ride out there a couple times. I don't think they have one of the real old machines, but they put out a pretty good product. http://www.hollyeats.com/Zwalhens.htm
    SassyGritsAL
    • Total Posts : 1089
    RE: Old-time "Frozen Custard" Stands. 2008/02/20 11:22:29 (permalink)
    We are going to have a place here in Huntsville, AL, that is going to offer Frozen Custard. It should open in about 3 weeks. I am looking forward to trying it. I think that this is a first for Huntsville.
    Earl of Sandwich
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 600
    RE: Old-time "Frozen Custard" Stands. 2008/03/19 22:13:41 (permalink)
    There's a great little chain in the Cleveland, OH area that I highly recommend. East Coast Custard, which claims to offer the real Coney Island frozen custard from the 1920's.

Check 'em out at www.eastcoastcustard.com for locations.

BTW, their frozen custard is the best I've had.
    mcminnj
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: Old-time "Frozen Custard" Stands. 2008/05/03 12:09:14 (permalink)
    Sandy's !!! (Austin, TX)
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6393
    RE: Old-time "Frozen Custard" Stands. 2008/05/03 12:26:41 (permalink)
    Here in Excelsior, Minnesota we have Adele's Frozen Custard.

http://www.custardlist.com/stands/Adeles.html
    firecommander3565
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 505
    RE: Old-time "Frozen Custard" Stands. 2008/05/03 12:36:30 (permalink)
    Custard Cup Danville, Illinios (right on Route 1)
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3160
    RE: Old-time "Frozen Custard" Stands. 2008/05/04 09:09:50 (permalink)
    quote:

Leon's in Milwaukee is as good as I have had anywhere and there is the added bonus of the great old sign. You also have to love that they are open year round.

BB, thanks for the kind words for one of our local treasures. I live three blocks from Leon's and I truly believe the custard tastes better at night when it is lit up in all it's glory. Leon sold and serviced area frozen custard machines and helped Elsa Kopp start her own frozen custard stand when she had to go back to work to support her family after her husband took ill back in 1950. www.kopps.com Leons is the tried and true for vanilla, chocolate and tasty sundaes while Kopps unique daily flavors (some of which will bring tears to the eyes, they are so good) and huge hamburgers packs them in from opening to closing time, winter as well as summer.

Jim Ross
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: Old-time "Frozen Custard" Stands. 2008/05/04 11:18:15 (permalink)
    There are 2 frozen custard stands on US Hwy 54 in Osage Beach, Mo that serve great frozen custard. I think Randy's is an old time custard stand that has been around for years. Andy's is a newer chain entry that has good custard and strives for the ambiance of the old time places. It looks like Randy's has a second location in Columbia Missouri. Andy's has quite a few locations and a web site. http://www.eatandys.com/storelocations.html
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5091
    RE: Old-time "Frozen Custard" Stands. 2008/05/04 15:26:44 (permalink)
    Here in Dallas, Harry's old fashioned custard on Knox St. Always a line out the door.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4190
    RE: Old-time "Frozen Custard" Stands. 2008/05/04 16:04:27 (permalink)
    During my 25 years in McLean, VA we used to go often to the Frozen Dairy Bar on Rt. 50 just East of Annandale Rd. It was in an iconic art deco shack with neon signage. Many pictures of it are still available if you Google image search it. The land was too valuable and it got torn down in favor of a new I-Hop and small shopping center. The owners moved the business to a poor location on Lee Hwy. between Falls Church and Merrifield. Six years ago they leased an in-line store in the new shopping center at their original location and have prospered. www.fdbandbwp.com A happy new beginning!

Carl's in Fredericksburg is legendary. I wish I had his mattress full of cash! Carl's gets a mention here (I love lists):http://www.americasbestonline.net/cream.html

In 1999 a custard lover and tireless promoter opened a custard store on Rt. 50 and Old Centreville Rd. in Chantilly. They serve an EXCELLENT product! http://www.milwaukeefrozencustard.com/index.html

Down here in Dallas we not only have the store Twinwillow mentioned above, but also a wonderful independent in Frisco:
    http://www.doubledipfrozencustard.com/ and outposts of Sheridan's and Culvers.http://www.sheridansfrozencustard.com/ http://www.culvers.com/.

Ys gotta love the stuff - I obviously do!
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: Old-time "Frozen Custard" Stands. 2008/05/06 10:12:56 (permalink)
    I went to Rita's for the first time this pst weekend. I didn't know it was a chain, but neither here nor there, the custard was very enjoyable. It hit the spot after a day of visiting several Embassies.
    divefl
    • Total Posts : 1671
    RE: Old-time "Frozen Custard" Stands. 2008/05/06 10:29:12 (permalink)
    Scorereader, I did the embassy tour as well. On the 17th of the month, there is another tour of asian, middle eastern, and I think some island embassies. The new harbor is also having a food celebration for it's opening.

Dickey's frozen custard on 17th and I in DC. Few blocks from the white house.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: Old-time "Frozen Custard" Stands. 2008/05/07 16:43:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by divefl

Scorereader, I did the embassy tour as well. On the 17th of the month, there is another tour of asian, middle eastern, and I think some island embassies. The new harbor is also having a food celebration for it's opening.

Dickey's frozen custard on 17th and I in DC. Few blocks from the white house.

thanks for the info on Dickey's and the other embassy tours. I thought they were this weekend, so I'm glad you alreted me that they're next weekend.
    lunasatic
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 283
    RE: Old-time "Frozen Custard" Stands. 2008/05/19 16:17:04 (permalink)
    Kline's Drive In in and around Manassas, VA. There's two of them, at opposite ends of Manasasas. Both are excellent.
    Big Ugly Mich
    • Total Posts : 1302
    RE: Old-time "Frozen Custard" Stands. 2008/05/19 16:26:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers
    quote:
    Originally posted by buffetbuster Leon's in Milwaukee is as good as I have had anywhere and there is the added bonus of the great old sign. You also have to love that they are open year round.

BB, thanks for the kind words for one of our local treasures. I live three blocks from Leon's and I truly believe the custard tastes better at night when it is lit up in all it's glory. Leon sold and serviced area frozen custard machines and helped Elsa Kopp start her own frozen custard stand when she had to go back to work to support her family after her husband took ill back in 1950. www.kopps.com Leons is the tried and true for vanilla, chocolate and tasty sundaes while Kopps unique daily flavors (some of which will bring tears to the eyes, they are so good) and huge hamburgers packs them in from opening to closing time, winter as well as summer.

Don't forget two other excellent choices, although neither is technically in Milwaukee:

http://www.oscarscustard.com/ and
    http://www.gillesfrozencustard.com/

Kopp's is the best of the best, and Leon's is only slightly worse, but a whole lot cheaper. Oscar's cones are made on the premises, and the smell is the draw. Gilles was firstest and still a fine choice.
    yamahafjr
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Old-time "Frozen Custard" Stands. 2008/06/27 10:26:30 (permalink)
    When you are in Hollywood or Beverly Hills CA be sure to stop by the only real custard stand on the west coast (as of June 2008) called Silky Smooth www.silkysmoothcreamery.com > They import the dairy from Wisconsin, so it is the real deal. I live about 70 miles from it but try to get up there at least twice a month. There is nothing else like it in California.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1