Ole' Sundancer knew what he was talking about!

Author
Pogo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 269
2010/06/29 17:29:34 (permalink)

Ole' Sundancer knew what he was talking about!

Sundancer for years has talked about how good Mello Joy coffee is. I finally got hold of some while I was in Laffayette, LA in April. I drank six bags in just over two weeks and then ordered a case online. I get the "between roast" other roasts offered are; dark, and medium.
The between roast is full of caramel and milk chocolate tastes and has a velvety big body.
If you're a coffee drinker, and haven't tried Mello Joy yet....... Do yourself a big favor and order some online!

13 Replies Related Threads

enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    Re:Ole' Sundancer knew what he was talking about! 2010/06/29 17:36:42 (permalink)
    Coffee nut that I am, I'll do that. Always willing to try something new. This year has seen my first tastes of two venerable brands, 8 o'clock and Dunkin, both in whole-bean form.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15303
    Re:Ole' Sundancer knew what he was talking about! 2010/06/29 18:54:58 (permalink)
    Pogo,
      When the old guy is right, He is really Right !!  I am not much of a coffee drinker so I wouldn't good from not good. But Paul has the finely tuned tasters.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13521
    Re:Ole' Sundancer knew what he was talking about! 2010/06/30 08:20:09 (permalink)
    I only know that Mello Joy is unique.  I have used their coffee for years.  For those of you that might have a interest, I have attached their web site.

http://www.mellojoy.com/

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    Re:Ole' Sundancer knew what he was talking about! 2010/06/30 08:37:57 (permalink)
    Pogo

Sundancer for years has talked about how good Mello Joy coffee is. I finally got hold of some while I was in Laffayette, LA in April. I drank six bags in just over two weeks and then ordered a case online. I get the "between roast" other roasts offered are; dark, and medium.
    The between roast is full of caramel and milk chocolate tastes and has a velvety big body.
    If you're a coffee drinker, and haven't tried Mello Joy yet....... Do yourself a big favor and order some online!

Sounds good, but just wondering, is the stuff they sell online ground or whole bean?
    mland520
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 485
    Re:Ole' Sundancer knew what he was talking about! 2010/06/30 08:51:59 (permalink)
    In checking the above named web site- they appear to sell in 12 oz bags- not even a full pound. If you are interested in "cajun" style coffee- you can go to :www.communitycoffee.com and they sell ground coffee- 16 oz and 32 oz bags for the same or lower price than Mellow Joy. The Dark Roast and French roast are both excellent. And they run specials all the time- sometimes free shipping, sometimes 5 bags for a set price. Give them a try.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    Re:Ole' Sundancer knew what he was talking about! 2010/06/30 09:06:41 (permalink)
    Does not Cajun Coffee contain some portion of chicory? It's not that that's bad, it just that it would certainly be different from the coffee most of us are used to drinking. 

BTW:I remember enjoying the coffee at that famous beingnet  joint in the old quarter - does anyone know if that contained chicory?

Cheers, John 
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13521
    Re:Ole' Sundancer knew what he was talking about! 2010/06/30 09:10:23 (permalink)
    Tony Bad

Pogo

Sounds good, but just wondering, is the stuff they sell online ground or whole bean?

They offer whole bean or ground coffee by the bag.  They also offer flavored coffee which I personally do not care for by any mfg.

You can always buy cheaper coffee but I have not found any coffee that compares to Mello Joy.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN 

Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Ole' Sundancer knew what he was talking about! 2010/06/30 10:38:45 (permalink)
    www.communitycoffee.com
    mland520

In checking the above named web site- they appear to sell in 12 oz bags- not even a full pound. If you are interested in "cajun" style coffee- you can go to :www.communitycoffee.com and they sell ground coffee- 16 oz and 32 oz bags for the same or lower price than Mellow Joy. The Dark Roast and French roast are both excellent. And they run specials all the time- sometimes free shipping, sometimes 5 bags for a set price. Give them a try.

I see 12oz "pounds" on their web site.

While this isn't cajun coffee, if you are looking for good coffee at good prices, give this place a try  http://www.portorico.com/store/

They sell the old fashioned 16 ounce pounds, which are cheaper than the 12 ounce ones!
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Ole' Sundancer knew what he was talking about! 2010/06/30 10:40:09 (permalink)
    Sundancer7
    They offer whole bean or ground coffee by the bag.  They also offer flavored coffee which I personally do not care for by any mfg. 

You can always buy cheaper coffee but I have not found any coffee that compares to Mello Joy.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN 

Thanks Paul...I have to look at their web site closer, as I didn't see any option for ground or whole bean on first look.

If I buy in bulk I prefer whole bean.
    Rick F.
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1736
    Re:Ole' Sundancer knew what he was talking about! 2010/06/30 11:44:28 (permalink)
    seafarer john

Does not Cajun Coffee contain some portion of chicory? It's not that that's bad, it just that it would certainly be different from the coffee most of us are used to drinking. 

BTW:I remember enjoying the coffee at that famous beingnet  joint in the old quarter - does anyone know if that contained chicory?

Cheers, John 

"Cajun," or Creole, coffee usually does contain chicory, which means that, ounce for ounce, it contains less caffeine than pure coffee. The chicory adds bitterness, which makes it taste "stronger" than the straight stuff. The "beignet joint" is The Cafe du Monde, and their coffee does contain chicory. There was an older place, occupying part of what is now The French Market, named The Morning Call, which is now closed. It was less of a tourist attraction than The Cafe du Monde, catering more to a local clientele. It closed in 1974, when it opened a new place in a strip mall in Metairie (a suburb of New Orleans).

seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    Re:Ole' Sundancer knew what he was talking about! 2010/06/30 21:09:01 (permalink)
    Thanks Rick, I couldn't remember the name of that famous place, and I guess I do like chicory in my coffee...

Cheers, john 
    Pogo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 269
    Re:Ole' Sundancer knew what he was talking about! 2010/07/01 16:41:08 (permalink)
    It's true, Mello Joy Between Roast only comes in pre-ground form. I'm a home coffee roaster with a fortune tied up in coffee apparatus so I no that you should grind just before brewing. Having said that..... I still heartily recommend Mello Joy Between Roast! I was a Community Coffee fan for years, but they can't hold a candle to Mello Joy in taste. IMHO. Yes, it is 12 ounce bags instead of 16, that seems to be the standard these days of ever rising prices. I order a case of 12 at a time and get it for $4.99 a bag, not bad for excellent coffee! I store my unopened bags in the freezer till ready to use.
    I'm telling you guys..... I was a disbeliever too.... Until I had my first pot of Mello Joy Between Roast. Every single person I have served it to, their eyebrows have raised and they've said, that's the best cup of coffee I've ever had!
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Ole' Sundancer knew what he was talking about! 2010/07/02 09:12:05 (permalink)
    Pogo

It's true, Mello Joy Between Roast only comes in pre-ground form. I'm a home coffee roaster with a fortune tied up in coffee apparatus so I no that you should grind just before brewing. Having said that..... I still heartily recommend Mello Joy Between Roast! I was a Community Coffee fan for years, but they can't hold a candle to Mello Joy in taste. IMHO. Yes, it is 12 ounce bags instead of 16, that seems to be the standard these days of ever rising prices. I order a case of 12 at a time and get it for $4.99 a bag, not bad for excellent coffee! I store my unopened bags in the freezer till ready to use.
    I'm telling you guys..... I was a disbeliever too.... Until I had my first pot of Mello Joy Between Roast. Every single person I have served it to, their eyebrows have raised and they've said, that's the best cup of coffee I've ever had!

Sounds great. I wlll give it a try. I was just unsure if I was missing something on the web site that allowed you to pick between ground or whole bean. I will try to remember to report back.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1