Ollie Burger Sauce

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Su Fu
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2005/01/23 20:28:46 (permalink)

Ollie Burger Sauce

I've been looking all over the net for the Lums Ollie Sauce. Does anyone know the recipe for the sauce? (Not the marinade.)

42 Replies Related Threads

Michelle Wiedemann
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 125
    RE: Ollie Burger Sauce 2005/02/15 10:39:01 (permalink)
    http://www.columbustour.com/rest-history/ollieburger.htm

Hope this is it:)
    Michelle Wiedemann
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 125
    RE: Ollie Burger Sauce 2005/02/15 11:02:03 (permalink)
    Ooops I think you mean the catsup/mayo sauce. Sorry.
    fbradjr
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 20
    RE: Ollie Burger Sauce 2006/11/26 15:41:29 (permalink)
    Ollie's Red sauce

1/2 C sugar
    1/2 C salt
    2 TBS paprika
    2 TBS ground cayenne
    1 TBS ground cumin
    1 TBS ground celery seed
    1/2 TSP ground coriander seed
    2 tsp garlic powder

Mix together in a blender or jar.
    Add water as needed and brush on the burgers before cooking, during cooking
    and before serving!!!!

late1
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Ollie Burger Sauce 2007/04/04 01:18:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michelle Wiedemann

http://www.columbustour.com/rest-history/ollieburger.htm

I have relocated the site to:
    http://ColumbusRestaurantHistory.com

Specific web address for the Ollieburger Recipe:
    http://columbusrestauranthistory.com/restaurant/ollieburger.htm
    Darius Fontaine
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Ollie Burger Sauce 2008/01/12 00:40:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Su Fu

I've been looking all over the net for the Lums Ollie Sauce. Does anyone know the recipe for the sauce? (Not the marinade.)

The genuine authenic Ollie burger receipe was recently released December 25, 2008 by a retired cook that worked for Lum's. I have put together and followed his receipe to the letter, and even going to the expense of buying a George Forman grill (so I could sear the spices into both sides of the meat at the same time) After cooking two 1/3 pound burgers as test samples, I can confirm without a doubt that this is the original receipe that was used in both the Lum's resturants and the Ollie's Trollies resturants. I'm 52 years old and I have most likely consumed more Ollieburgers in the 1970's and early 1980's then anyone else on earth. I now have this receipe not only stored on my computer, but printed out twice and safely stored for many future uses.
    Darius Fontaine
    Junior Burger
    RE: Ollie Burger Sauce 2008/01/12 00:50:49 (permalink)
    You will find the original receipe with its entire ingredients at www.ollieburger.wordpress.com. (see my posting below for validation)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Su Fu

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Ollie Burger Sauce 2008/01/12 01:25:11 (permalink)
    Well, nice try Darius. Scam posts are deleted about as fast as they get posted.
    unabashed
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: Ollie Burger Sauce 2008/01/12 01:37:54 (permalink)
    OLLIEBURGER SEASONING

DRY INGREDIENTS*

1/4 C Sugar

2 tbsp Paprika

¼ tsp Turmeric

½ tsp Onion Powder

1 tsp Ground Coriander

½ tsp Cornstarch

1 tbsp Ground Celery Seed

1 tbsp Ground Cumin

1 tbsp Garlic Powder

2 tsp Fennel Seed

1 tbsp Crushed Red Pepper

½ tsp Cayenne Pepper

1 tsp Ground Black Pepper

2 EA Crushed Beef Bouillon Cubes

LIQUID INGREDIENTS*

6 tbsp Lemon Juice

2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

2 tbsp Soy Sauce

2 tbsp Steak Sauce (A-1)

2 tsp Vegetable Oil

2 tsp Heinz 57 Sauce

2 tsp Cider Vinegar

BUN SAUCE*

¼ cup Miracle Whip

¼ cup mayonnaise

2 tbsp orange, French dressing

½ tsp sweet relish

2 tsp dill pickle relish

1 tsp sugar

1 tsp dried, minced onion

1 tsp white vinegar

1 tsp ketchup

2 tbsp prepared Ollie Seasoning Marinade

1 tsp Montreal Steak Seasoning

Directions:

In a large measuring bowl, add all dry Ingredients together by hand. DO NOT INHALE MIX as the dust is very overwhelming.

In a separate bowl, mix liquid ingredients together until well mixed. Carefully add to dry ingredients and slowly mix by hand. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.

For bun sauce, mix all ingredients and refrigerate for 2 hours as well.

When preparing an Ollieburger, place a 1/3 pound burger in prepared marinade and allow to soak for 15 minutes.

Place on a 2 sided grill (such as a sandwich grill) and cook until Medium Rare.

Serve with a slice of Mozzarella cheese on a seeded bun with bun sauce top and bottom, and a garlic pickle spear.

Potato chips are optional.

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8512
    RE: Ollie Burger Sauce 2008/01/12 10:45:40 (permalink)
    Unabashed-where on earth did you get that recipe?Seems rather labor intensive to make...Never mind-I found the site you got it from...
    thediningroom
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 84
    RE: Ollie Burger Sauce 2008/01/12 11:01:11 (permalink)
    This is far too labor insensitive for me to prepare, however I have eaten more Ollie burgers than anyone in the world. I haven’t had one in 20 years, do you know if I can purchase this sauce all readymade? Money is NO object.
    porkbeaks
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2217
    RE: Ollie Burger Sauce 2008/01/12 11:21:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by thediningroom

This is far too labor insensitive for me to prepare, however I have eaten more Ollie burgers than anyone in the world. I haven’t had one in 20 years, do you know if I can purchase this sauce all readymade? Money is NO object.

Send me a money order for $200.00 and I'll send you a quart made from this "labor insensitive" recipe. pb
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: Ollie Burger Sauce 2008/01/12 12:19:20 (permalink)
    Ground celery seed? Is that correct?
    captainrick747
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Ollie Burger Sauce 2008/01/13 21:45:55 (permalink)
    As a native of Miami, I spent many afternoons and evenings at Ollie’s Steak House next to Miami Beach High School as a teen and young adult in the 60’s and 70’s. I also had many an Ollie burger at Lums after Ollie sold his recipe to them in the early 70’s. I found you’re recipe a couple of days ago went out and bought the couple of ingredients that I did not already have in the pantry. Sorry to say it doesn’t even come close. And I was really hoping it would finally be the one.
    captainrick747
    Junior Burger
    RE: Ollie Burger Sauce 2008/09/08 11:02:58 (permalink)
    O.K. here it is, I have found a gentleman that was the owner of several Lums restaurants in New England. He sells the “original” Ollie’s spice mixture for $9 per pound plus shipping. I am a native of Miami and spent many an afternoon at Ollie’s original steak house on Miami Beach. This is the real deal! As far as a bun sauce, there was NEVER any sauce on the original Ollie burger, in fact you were likely to get yelled at or something thrown at you if you tried to put ANYTHING on a burger that Ollie made. This is the same spice mixture that he used on his fries and in his thousand island dressing as well as on his awesome green beans. For a true Ollie burger, add 1 tsp of this spice mixture to each 1/3 lb. Burger meat. Let sit for 30 minutes and grill. I promise you that any of you old Miami Beach High School students will think your back at Ollie’s place. The only thing that will be missing is Ollie yelling at Terrie.

Dennis’s email @ dennisdb61@aol.com

Enjoy Captain Rick
    dreric1kansas
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Ollie Burger Sauce 2009/01/25 16:34:20 (permalink)
    What a complete hoot!!!! I was talking to my wife and she asked if I ever cooked for a restaurant. I was an assistant in my AEPi fraternity at URI  in Kingston RI in 1970-71. I then told her  how I once worked for a joint and made the famous  ollie burgers when I was a short order cook grill master for the Lum's in Asheville , NC (1975 or so) before I went to Western Carolina to do graduate work and tennis coach. It made me think to find the recipe since I love to eat, cook and use recipes. (She thought the sauce sounded gross but I found it tasty and others did too).
    I will post this on my blog which I write for and write for Urbanspoon. What a hoot- finally finding these recipes after all these years. YOu all are great for posting them. If you can check out my posts on Urbanspoon and join me as a friend. I also have posts in Boston, Providence RI and other places I have traveled. I now live in Olathe, KS near Kansas City.
    Dr. Eric Flescher, Olathe, KS(dreric1kansas@aol.com)
    Kansas City Traveling Gourmet
    < http://cpmputergourmet.blogspot.com/>

Scub81
    Junior Burger
    Re:Ollie Burger Sauce 2009/02/17 01:11:59 (permalink)

I used to manage a LUMS in Rochester,NY  and I'm still trying to find the ingrediants
    dennisdb61@aol.com
    Junior Burger
    Re:Ollie Burger Sauce 2009/08/18 01:07:51 (permalink)
    I am retired director of operations for Lums . I sell the original Ollie spices for the Ollieburger and Ollie fries.You can purchase them at dennisdb61@aol.com Cost is $9.50 per lb plus postage. I have been selling the spices for the past two years to the many fans of the Ollieburger. The original Miami Beach patrons prepare the burgers different from the Lums fans,I have directions for both way thanks to Captain Rick  who ate at the original Ollies on the
    Beach several time a week.  Ollie had a hard time teaching the yo-yos from Lums to make his masterpiece so the Lums Ollieburger is a little different. I have a website www.lums-recipes.com please visit it.
    Thanks  dennisdb61@aol.com
    boyardee65
    • Total Posts : 1460
    Re:Ollie Burger Sauce 2009/08/18 03:02:37 (permalink)
      Tell me Dennis, did you purchase this recipe or did you steal it? Was it your recipe or was it lifted from a backroom source?

Just curious, in humble but hungry Wasilla Ak.

David O.
    dennisdb61@aol.com
    Junior Burger
    Re:Ollie Burger Sauce 2009/08/19 11:33:23 (permalink)
    David,
    I still buy the original spices from the supplier.
    Dennis
    dennisdb61@aol.com
    Junior Burger
    Re:Ollie Burger Sauce 2009/08/19 11:40:38 (permalink)
    David,
    Why don't you buy one lb of the Ollieburger seasoning to try. I will pay the postage. It is the original seasonings used by LUMS. Let me know.
    Dennis
    dennisdb61@aol.com
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2165
    Re:Ollie Burger Sauce 2009/08/19 19:00:46 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL MESSAGE REDACTED on August 23rd, 2009.

Partly in response to my post, Dennis provided information on what he is offering for re-sale, and discussed his experience in the restaurant industry a few posts down from this one.
    post edited by David_NYC - 2009/08/23 13:55:32
    boyardee65
    Re:Ollie Burger Sauce 2009/08/20 02:20:21 (permalink)
      I don't care if you promote your product on this site so long as it is YOURS!!! A good example of this is Buddy's Roadhouse BBQ sauces. He asked for feed back from people he sent samples to, (me included.) I think that that's the way to go. I agree with David_NYC that most proprietary spice mixes are not made all in one place so that any one person has the whole recipe. It could then be duplicated and ripped off.

Case in point: I was a prep cook for many years for Old Chicago Pizza and Pasta. When I first started there we only had two stores and ALL of the recipes were in a binder. As the business grew I noticed that we started to use spice mixes and the binders dissapeared so that no one could duplicate the exact recipe. I still have in my vast storehouse of my memory most of those recipes. I would NEVER EVER take those and try to sell them or even use them in a new restaurant. Besides the legal implications, IT IS NOT HONEST!!!

JMHO

David O.
    post edited by boyardee65 - 2009/08/20 02:21:56
    dennisdb61@aol.com
    Junior Burger
    Re:Ollie Burger Sauce 2009/08/20 09:22:32 (permalink)
    Guys,
    I buy the spices from the same source we purchased them from when the restaurants were open. There are Ollies Trolleys that are open and still use the spices also. I just resale them. We never had a recipe to make the spices , they came in a case containing 24 one pound bags. The bun sauce came in cases of  four one gallon jars, we never made it either.  I did not own the LUMS franchises I was the operations director. My good friend Terry owned the franchises. Here is an my bio on my website:

I am a retired Director of Operations for Lums restaurants living in Florida. I was associated with Lums from 1980 till 1992. Our Restaurants were in upstate New York (Plattsburg & Lake Placid) and in Vermont (Burlington, Barre-Montplier, White River Junction,& Rutland). We also had a Bonanza Steak house, Kinfolks (a theme New England fare restaurant) and a fish house the Shanty-on-the Shore which is still operating on Battery street in Burlington. 
        I was also the general manager for Valle's Steak houses out of Portland Maine from 1972-1980. I managed Valle's in Springfield Va, Richmond Va, and Tampa Fl . I left  Valle's after Mr. Valle passed away and his son took over.

I respect your comments , on the legality LUMS trademark is no longer registered. I sell the spices not for profit(I make less than $1.00 on each bag) but to offer to all of Ollie's and LUMS followers who really enjoyed the Ollieburger. I am pushing 70 years old and am proud to have know Ollie and Freidrich Jahn (wienerwald chicken founder) and to be able to let people taste their products. LUMS was a large part of my life.
    I am honored to be able to partake in forums like this.
    Thanks,
    Dennis

post edited by dennisdb61@aol.com - 2009/08/20 20:48:10
    boyardee65
    Re:Ollie Burger Sauce 2009/08/21 00:52:40 (permalink)
       Dennis, I did not mean to imply that you were in any way dishonest. I respect your willingness to share the recipes that you cherish! I am sure that the people who have tried an Ollie Burger and love it are very appreciative of your efforts. I personally have never had an Ollie Burger but it sounds intriguing.

I would take you up on your previously stated offer to try the spice mix with you paying the postage. I don't want a 1 lb. package however. A little jar will do. You can look up my email address in my profile and then contact me directly from there.

Best of luck,

David O.

captainrick747
    Junior Burger
    Re:Ollie Burger Sauce 2009/08/21 16:05:36 (permalink)
    Wow, Haven't looked here in a while, getting hot and heavy. Dennis, you keep doing what you have been doing, we have spoken on the phone several times so we are both on the same page here.  David NYC, you need to chill out, you are borderline on defamation here. All Dennis has done is to offer the same spice as he was sold when he worked for Lums. I have bought several pounds from him on numerous occasions, and I can tell you that it is a close to the real deal as I have ever been able to find.  I knew Ollie personally for over 30 years before he died, and he would never let loose of the recipe to me or anyone else that I know of.  If you don't want to buy some and try it then that is your choice.  But you don't have to attack Dennis for trying to help out those that do.

Captain Rick
    David_NYC
    Re:Ollie Burger Sauce 2009/08/21 18:09:36 (permalink)
    Rick, I apologize if anyone who read my post came away thinking I was attacking Dennis. What I was hoping for is that Dennis would add to his web site and to his message board posts statements that he was retailing the genuine spice mixture.  I felt that his earlier descriptions didn't make the impact they should have.

I have often posted on this web site about entrepreneurs who start selling a product whose original manufacturer quit production or went bankrupt, or the original manufacturer who brings back a product after it has been out of production for a while. More often than not, the re-introduced product disappoints me. I get especially angry when a manufacturer slaps a dormant brand name on a product originally produced by someone else, and the two are no where near alike. I feel this new producer was deceiving me on purpose. Just a few of the subjects from the last year were Ducane grills, Mother's cookies, Sunshine Hydrox cookies, NoCal soda, Big Shef hamburgers, and Baby Watson cheesecakes.

Then, there is the large amount of hype in the food business. So, I carefully look for weasel words. I once remember an article in a newspaper about high end steakhouses and if they aged their steaks or not. A lot of steak houses indicated they dry aged their steaks on premises. One guy said he used a 'wet aging" process. The writer speculated that the steak house was merely storing their boxed meat in its original Cryovac until older product was cooked for patrons!

I have also bought "Copycat" recipe books. Often, these recipes would call forcommon  spices and seasonings available from many different suppliers. While most of these recipes disappointed, I would often get very different results for the same menu item by simply using the same ingredients as produced by different manufacturers. The writers of these books often did not name the manufacturers of the ingredients they used.

What I took away from Dennis' additional posts is that he retailing some (probably the original) foodservice manufacturer's spice mixture as produced over the years for the remaining independent Ollie's restaurants. By him identifying himself as the operations manager of restaurants indicates that at one time he was responsible for the procurement of food and would know who was producing an "original" formula, which would be the one which Lum's restaurants bought after Ollie sold the formula to Lum's.

ADDENDUM: To address the concerns of  David O from Wasilla, if the foodservice manufacturer who is still producing the spice mixture put any development effort into the formula, they might have some rights, or it just may be their trade secret. If the company that commissioned the product is gone, kaput, finito, it is a free-for-all. The remaining restauranteurs may benefit from a secondary sales channel. If sales of a product become too low, the foodservice manufacturer will drop the item and let the remaining restauranteurs fend for themselves.
    post edited by David_NYC - 2009/08/22 12:06:47
    captainrick747
    Junior Burger
    Re:Ollie Burger Sauce 2009/08/22 20:05:00 (permalink)
    David NYC "If the foodservice manufacturer who is still producing the spice mixture put any development effort into the formula, they might have some rights, or it just may be their trade secret".

In a nut shell and I am not trying to get into a spitting match here.  I owned and operated a salad dressing and sauce manufacturing company for 14 years in Miami.  I sold my products to the largest grocery store chain in Florida (Publix) as well as many gourmet and specialty stores. I also packed food service sizes of my products and private labeled for other customers. I am going to write this slowly so you above that have hassled Dennis can understand this. YOU CAN NOT PATENT A RECIPE!! You can copywrite a written recipe that has been published, including on a label of a product. (I own 5 of them). And you can register a trademark for a label or a logo, but that is the ONLY protection that you have.  If you can find a chemist that can do a quantitative analysis (A very expensive proposition) that will give you the same recipe as Coca Cola or KFC, there is not a damn thing that they can do about it as long as you do not try to sell it by the name Coca Cola or KFC. By the way, this has been tried many times but no one has been able to do it.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Ollie Burger Sauce 2009/08/22 20:58:56 (permalink)
    captainrick747

David NYC "If the foodservice manufacturer who is still producing the spice mixture put any development effort into the formula, they might have some rights, or it just may be their trade secret".

In a nut shell and I am not trying to get into a spitting match here.  I owned and operated a salad dressing and sauce manufacturing company for 14 years in Miami.  I sold my products to the largest grocery store chain in Florida (Publix) as well as many gourmet and specialty stores. I also packed food service sizes of my products and private labeled for other customers. I am going to write this slowly so you above that have hassled Dennis can understand this. YOU CAN NOT PATENT A RECIPE!! You can copywrite a written recipe that has been published, including on a label of a product. (I own 5 of them). And you can register a trademark for a label or a logo, but that is the ONLY protection that you have.  If you can find a chemist that can do a quantitative analysis (A very expensive proposition) that will give you the same recipe as Coca Cola or KFC, there is not a damn thing that they can do about it as long as you do not try to sell it by the name Coca Cola or KFC. By the way, this has been tried many times but no one has been able to do it.

I remember Captain Rick's.  Good stuff.
    David_NYC
    Re:Ollie Burger Sauce 2009/08/23 11:44:11 (permalink)
    ".......... but that is the ONLY protection that you have."

Depending upon the jurisdiction, firms do have additional protection in the form of trade secret protection. This protects them from "inside jobs". So while a food manufacturer can't patent a recipe, he can sue a (usually former) employee and a competitor for transfer of information that the food manufacturer took steps to keep secret.

The "some rights" I was referring to were sales rights.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1