The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

 Omaha Steaks hot dogs

Author Message
Mosca

  • Total Posts: 2929
  • Joined: 5/26/2004
  • Location: Mountain Top, PA
Omaha Steaks hot dogs Fri, 11/4/05 12:47 PM (permalink)
Man these dogs are really awesome. Expensive, like all the OS stuff is, but they are great. IMO they are the best Omaha Steak product available, in a "quality relative" sense. You can get better steak for less locally, but it will be hard to find a better hot dog without a bit of effort.

Better grilled than boiled or microwaved, they plump up to the size of a banana.

Just my take on it. I'll post a picture the next time I grill a couple.


Tom
 
#1
    enginecapt

    • Total Posts: 3486
    • Joined: 6/4/2004
    • Location: Fontana, CA
    RE: Omaha Steaks hot dogs Sat, 11/5/05 8:23 AM (permalink)
    $$$?
     
    #2
      Mosca

      • Total Posts: 2929
      • Joined: 5/26/2004
      • Location: Mountain Top, PA
      RE: Omaha Steaks hot dogs Sat, 11/5/05 2:29 PM (permalink)
      $30 for 32 hot dogs. Sometimes they go on sale for $20.


      Tom
       
      #3
        enginecapt

        • Total Posts: 3486
        • Joined: 6/4/2004
        • Location: Fontana, CA
        RE: Omaha Steaks hot dogs Sun, 11/6/05 2:41 AM (permalink)
        I will try them on your rec.
         
        #4
          jeepguy

          • Total Posts: 1555
          • Joined: 3/29/2004
          • Location: chicago, IL
          RE: Omaha Steaks hot dogs Sun, 11/6/05 4:58 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Mosca

          $30 for 32 hot dogs. Sometimes they go on sale for $20.


          Tom
          plus shipping.They are a good hotdog as are most of Omaha Steaks' products.
           
          #5
            Rick F.

            • Total Posts: 1736
            • Joined: 8/16/2002
            • Location: Natchitoches, LA
            RE: Omaha Steaks hot dogs Sun, 11/6/05 6:53 AM (permalink)
            Cheaper than Lobel's. I'll bite!
             
            #6
              Mosca

              • Total Posts: 2929
              • Joined: 5/26/2004
              • Location: Mountain Top, PA
              RE: Omaha Steaks hot dogs Sun, 11/6/05 7:40 PM (permalink)
              Don't forget to GRILL THEM. They're OK boiled or steamed, but they come alive on the grill.


              Tom
               
              #7
                Williamsburger

                • Total Posts: 395
                • Joined: 5/26/2005
                • Location: Williamsburg, VA
                RE: Omaha Steaks hot dogs Mon, 11/7/05 10:00 AM (permalink)
                I agree! Aside from the guy who sells Sabrett's from a cart outside the Virginia State Library (who's *disappeared!!!) these are the best dogs I've ever had. My brother sent us a Omaha package last Xmas and might do it again this year - told him just to send us some hot dogs.
                Does OS make their own or do these come from someone else?

                Cathy
                 
                #8
                  Scorereader

                  • Total Posts: 5546
                  • Joined: 8/4/2005
                  • Location: Crofton, MD
                  RE: Omaha Steaks hot dogs Mon, 11/7/05 10:51 AM (permalink)
                  I'm glad Mosca gave the review of the hot dogs.
                  I actually didn't get the summer package of steaks, burgers and hot dogs, because of the dogs.
                  I wasn't sure if it was such a good deal.
                  But with this many positive reviews, I'll be sure to get the package next Spring or Summer.

                  My favorite is the fillet with the bacon wrapped around it.

                  It just melted in my mouth.

                   
                  #9
                    Z66 Butch

                    • Total Posts: 198
                    • Joined: 11/8/2005
                    • Location: Emporia, IN
                    RE: Omaha Steaks hot dogs Thu, 11/10/05 10:18 AM (permalink)
                    What are the ingredients in these hot dogs? Most hot dogs contain chicken or turkey and I don't like them! Beef hot dogs are not my favorite so for the most part I don't eat hot dogs any longer but would love to find a good old fashioned hot dog like they used to be!

                    Butch
                     
                    #10
                      Scorereader

                      • Total Posts: 5546
                      • Joined: 8/4/2005
                      • Location: Crofton, MD
                      RE: Omaha Steaks hot dogs Thu, 11/10/05 10:29 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Z66 Butch

                      What are the ingredients in these hot dogs? Most hot dogs contain chicken or turkey and I don't like them! Beef hot dogs are not my favorite so for the most part I don't eat hot dogs any longer but would love to find a good old fashioned hot dog like they used to be!

                      Butch



                      I'm confused.

                      what is it you want in your hot dog?
                       
                      #11
                        Z66 Butch

                        • Total Posts: 198
                        • Joined: 11/8/2005
                        • Location: Emporia, IN
                        RE: Omaha Steaks hot dogs Thu, 11/10/05 11:20 AM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by Scorereader

                        quote:
                        Originally posted by Z66 Butch

                        What are the ingredients in these hot dogs? Most hot dogs contain chicken or turkey and I don't like them! Beef hot dogs are not my favorite so for the most part I don't eat hot dogs any longer but would love to find a good old fashioned hot dog like they used to be!

                        Butch



                        I'm confused.

                        what is it you want in your hot dog?


                        Years ago hot dogs were made with scraps from pork and beef. The last several years is when everyone started adding chicken and turley. Not only is it added to hot dogs but to most lunch meat and some smoked sasuages etc. IMHO it is not anywhere near as good as it was years ago before the chicken/turkey was added!

                        Butch
                         
                        #12
                          Mosca

                          • Total Posts: 2929
                          • Joined: 5/26/2004
                          • Location: Mountain Top, PA
                          RE: Omaha Steaks hot dogs Thu, 11/10/05 2:12 PM (permalink)
                          I believe they are mostly pork. What they really are though is good tasting, with a great texture.


                           
                          #13
                            Scorereader

                            • Total Posts: 5546
                            • Joined: 8/4/2005
                            • Location: Crofton, MD
                            RE: Omaha Steaks hot dogs Thu, 11/10/05 2:25 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by Z66 Butch

                            quote:
                            Originally posted by Scorereader

                            quote:
                            Originally posted by Z66 Butch

                            What are the ingredients in these hot dogs? Most hot dogs contain chicken or turkey and I don't like them! Beef hot dogs are not my favorite so for the most part I don't eat hot dogs any longer but would love to find a good old fashioned hot dog like they used to be!

                            Butch



                            I'm confused.

                            what is it you want in your hot dog?


                            Years ago hot dogs were made with scraps from pork and beef. The last several years is when everyone started adding chicken and turley. Not only is it added to hot dogs but to most lunch meat and some smoked sasuages etc. IMHO it is not anywhere near as good as it was years ago before the chicken/turkey was added!

                            Butch


                            Ah, Gotcha!

                            I was confused when you said beef hot dogs weren't your favorite but you didn't want foul meat in the hot dog.
                            I understand what you're saying now.

                            I try my best to avoid hot dogs with chicken in it, but you're right when you say it's getting harder and harder to find. Unless it's an all beef doggy.

                            The most disgusting thing that ever happened to me was having a hot dog that had chicken parts, and it was gritty, and you could actually see the chopped up hard bits, like...beak or something. Ughh

                            My favorite dog, which I grew up on, is a coney (or white snappy) made by Hoffman's. I like meier and dietz regular dogs. These are both made with no chicken or turkey parts. Just pork and beef, much like you described.

                             
                            #14
                              Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

                              Jump to:

                              Current active users

                              There are 0 members and 1 guests.

                              Icon Legend and Permission

                              • New Messages
                              • No New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                              • Read Message
                              • Post New Thread
                              • Reply to message
                              • Post New Poll
                              • Submit Vote
                              • Post reward post
                              • Delete my own posts
                              • Delete my own threads
                              • Rate post

                              2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com