On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin!

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 61 to 120 of 141
ChiTownDiner
  • Total Posts : 2658
  • Reward points : 0
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Fri, 06/25/10 6:52 PM
I've had a lot of brats also and did not think the brat we were eating was smoked.

The brat patties are terrific!  My favorite!

I beleive the tour guide was holding her hands up in a stopping motion as if to say...ChiTownDiner would have stopped at 5 and exhibited more restraint! 

Yeah...that's what she was saying...I can read her lips!

easydoesit
  • Total Posts : 470
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Sat, 06/26/10 4:43 AM
Nancy Palooza -- you mentioned refectories earlier, and I know you get near La Crosse sometimes.  The Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe is a new thing here, just a couple years old, and is in a beautiful setting in the country just outside of town. 

Can hit on the link and scroll down for the restaurant.  They are known for their generous sandwiches, and the small but excellent bakery.  We stop often to see what kind of bread they are baking that day; there is usually a good loaf of something dense and hearty.  Their cakes and cookies are excellent as well.

www.guadalupeshrine.org

By the way, brat patties are common on this side of the state too.

Curbside Grill
  • Total Posts : 3916
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Sat, 06/26/10 6:53 AM
easydoesit

Nancy Palooza -- you mentioned refectories earlier, and I know you get near La Crosse sometimes.  The Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe is a new thing here, just a couple years old, and is in a beautiful setting in the country just outside of town. 

Can hit on the link and scroll down for the restaurant.  They are known for their generous sandwiches, and the small but excellent bakery.  We stop often to see what kind of bread they are baking that day; there is usually a good loaf of something dense and hearty.  Their cakes and cookies are excellent as well.

www.guadalupeshrine.org

By the way, brat patties are common on this side of the state too.

Oh MY 6 layer carrot cake. Healthest thing on the menu. All 4 food groups at once.

Ahi Mpls.
  • Total Posts : 922
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Sat, 06/26/10 9:06 AM
  Nancy, Re: Tortes... I'm sure that there are 1002 ways to make them, But My WI. Granny used Whipped cream cheese, sour cream and fresh whipped cream with just a bit of gelatin in it (JELLO if making a fruit flavored) So it was super light and fluffy.  My WI Great Auntie used canned pie filling, gelatin, and DREAM-WHIP!    she always had quite a bit left over after our Potlucks...Go figure.  

ChiTownDiner
  • Total Posts : 2658
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Sat, 06/26/10 9:59 AM
We thought there was gelatin involved.  As buffetbuster stated, that poppyseed was tremendous!

mr chips
  • Total Posts : 4715
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Sat, 06/26/10 1:03 PM
You brought back memories of my Green Bay visit 35 years ago. Seeing Lambeau Field is like seeing Pebble Beach or St Andrews in golf, Fenway or Wrigley in baseball. a vital part of sports history. The food has looked phenomenal throughout this thread.

ces1948
  • Total Posts : 1499
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Sat, 06/26/10 3:58 PM
We are actually thinking of relocating to Appleton, WI so I'm very interested about local specialties in the area, the whole state really as I've never lived in Wisconsin before.

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15075
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Sat, 06/26/10 5:44 PM
We have family in Central Wisconsin and have found a number of great places to eat in that area, everything from German (expected) to other European to BBQ and Asian.  We really enjoy driving thru the Milwaukee/Chicago IL area for the wide variety of food we find there too.
Add that to the wonderful winter wonderland image and Wisconsin just can't be beat !! (From April to November!!!)

Nancypalooza
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Sat, 06/26/10 10:57 PM
easydoesit--thank you!  The next time I'm anywhere near Lacrosse I'll have to check it out.  We ate at one in a church in London and one in a church in Wales, St. David's I think, that really had pretty wonderful food, and I just couldn't figure out what cultural divide we must have that we don't really have those.

Dawn--I have had tortes then, I think they just don't call them that here or among my folks in MN.  Basically it's all those back-of-the-jello-box creamy desserts.  The ones in this thread looked unbelievable.

easydoesit
  • Total Posts : 470
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Sun, 06/27/10 4:30 AM
ces1948 -- scattered around Appleton you will find Tom's Drive-In, a small chain that offers pretty good burgers and the usual rest.  I used to live on that side of the state, and miss Tom's.

I also miss Breadsmith, a bakery, again it is a chain, but pretty good products.  Too bad, but Panera just does not compare, for me anyway.  Try their Apple Pie Bread and garlic pullaparts.

Nearby and well worth the drive is a local treasure drive-in in Oshkosh called Ardys & Eds.  Old fashioned, blast from the past type place, carhops on roller skates, etc.  Great food! Try their ho-made barbeque, which is not barbeque at all, but the best example of a midwest sloppy joe around. 

Everything they have is good, but especially so is their french fries and tartar sauce.  They have been featured on 'Roker on the Road' and other programs.  Been around since 1948.

Just three blocks away from Ardy & Eds is another hidden gem, Hughes Chocolates on Doty Street.  They are located in a house in a neighborhood, with the  shop and salesroom located in the basement.  You go down a few steps from the street and find yourself right in the middle of the action, with the friendly worker calling "excuse me!" as she slides past you with, for example, a full tray of caramels waiting to be covered in chocolate.

They are not open in the summer, too hot, but you should see the line at Christmas time, stretched from the sales counter, up the stairs, out and down the driveway, to the street. 

Not far away in Kaukauna is Haen Meats, a clean and well done shop that is highly thought of locally.  Everything there is good.

Yes, it's cold in the winter, like Al says, but that's OK, we keep better.

www.tomsdriveins.com

www.ardyandeds.com

www.breadsmith.com

www.haenmeats.com

Hughes Chocolates has no website, but there is plenty about them out there.

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9811
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Sun, 06/27/10 9:24 PM
The vacation wasn't just running from restaurant to restaurant.  Some of the cultural highlights were visiting the world's tallest Indian

and the world's largest corkscrew.

joerogo
  • Total Posts : 4468
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Sun, 06/27/10 9:31 PM
And I thought nothing in Wisconsin could be bigger than Brad

I would like to have the bottle of wine that requires that cork screw.

buffetbuster
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Mon, 06/28/10 1:51 PM
Johnny and I did spend almost a full day in the Duluth, Minnesota area.  Right next to our hotel was the famous Aerial Lift Bridge. 

This bridge crosses a narrow canal and the span lifts in the air, so that passing boats can go underneath.  Unfortunately, I never did get a photo of it in the air, but it is rather cool to see.

This is an interesting area, with all kinds of statues.  My favorite was this one,

which I named, "Cruel dad laughs while bird poops on daughter's head".  That most likely isn't the statue's real name.

For dinner that night, we visited the Roadfood reviewed Northern Waters Smokehouse.

Located inside a building filled with upscale shops, I got to say, the people here weren't very friendly.  But the place sure did smell good.  There is a display case full of all kinds of great looking smoked fish, but we started with sandwiches.  Here is the menu board,

which is a little hard to read.  It has been about a month, so my memory is a little spotty.  But, I'm reasonably sure that sandwich of Johnny's is the Cajun Finn.

Truthfully, he didn't have much to say about it good or bad, so I'm thinking it was just okay.  My sandwich, the Buffalo "06 was terrific.

The reason it is called the Buffalo "06 is because they use buffalo pastrami, which I found to be very lean.  There is no doubt that they use high quality ingredients on this sandwich.

Johnny and I did buy several pounds of the smoked salmon to go, which we enjoyed snacking on for the next few days.  Unfortunately, I never did take any photos, but we found the salmon with black pepper and coriander to be our favorite.

Northern Waters Smokehouse
394 South Lake Avenue
Duluth, MN
888-663-7800

http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Reviews/5117/northern-waters-smokehaus

And if interested, here is more of the Aerial Lift Bridge:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerial_Lift_Bridge
<message edited by buffetbuster on Mon, 06/28/10 1:55 PM>

buffetbuster
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Mon, 06/28/10 3:39 PM
One of the most enjoyable sightseeing things we did on the trip was take a boat ride through the Apostle Islands, which can be found in the very northern part of Wisconsin, in Lake Superior.  The cruise left from Bayfield and lasted three hours.  We never landed at any of the islands, but got close enough to see the fish camps, lighthouses and rocky cliffs.

While we were driving to Bayfield that morning on beautiful SR2, Johnny remarked that he had a feeling we were going to see a bear that day.  Not even 15 minutes later, we did. 

Sorry, I didn't get a better shot, but we were rather excited. 

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4737
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Mon, 06/28/10 3:54 PM
BB, because Wisconsin relies heavily on tourism all bears have been trained to stop and pose for photos when asked so there's never a reason to settle for a blurry image.  Unfortunately I didn't think to give you this advice before your visit.

Brad

Greymo
  • Total Posts : 3668
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Mon, 06/28/10 4:12 PM

Nancypalooza
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Tue, 06/29/10 10:54 AM
Now all I can hear is Maria Bamford singing 'I love Dulooooooth.'

Very good name for that statue!  He does need to be a little less pleased with himself over it.

buffetbuster
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Tue, 06/29/10 1:03 PM
Breakfast in Duluth was at the clumsily named Chester Creek Cafe at Sara's Table.

Oddly enough, the name of the previous business that used this building, Taran's Market Place, is still over the front door.

Johnny and I were the first customers in the door when they opened at 7:00AM.

One thing that caught our eye when we sat down is that there are mini shopping carts on your table to hold the condiments and salt/pepper. 

To start us off, we couldn't resist ordering some really good fruit smoothies.

Johnny went with the old fashioned oatmeal,

which came out piping hot.  He loaded it up with the raisins, brown sugar and milk and he seemed very pleased with this early morning pick me up.  Not sure what possessed me, but I got the Huevos Rancheros. 

(Somewhere in Rhode Island, wanderingjew is making his disapproval face!)  Isn't this dish supposed to come with all the components piled on top of each other?  No big deal, but it did seem unusual.  This dish was just okay, with only the nicely fried and seasoned potatoes really being memorable.

There is always room for pie, even at 7:30AM.  Unfortunately, the options were slim.  Inspired by the excellent blueberry pie at Holy Hill Cafe, Johnny chose that. 

Blackberry peach was left for me.

We thought that with the densely packed fruit and the sugary top, these were some of the best looking pies on the whole trip.  The pies were not overly sweet and had a pleasant flaky crust.  On a normal trip, these pies would have undoubtedly been standouts.  On this trip, they will have to settle for honorable mention.

Chester Creek Cafe @ Sara's Table
1902 East 8th Street
Duluth, MN
218-723-8569

http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Reviews/5090/chester-creek-cafe-at-saras-table

<message edited by buffetbuster on Tue, 06/29/10 1:04 PM>

Nancypalooza
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Tue, 06/29/10 1:13 PM
NOM NOM NOM.  I want all of that!

buffetbuster
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Tue, 06/29/10 1:17 PM
Nancypalooza

Now all I can hear is Maria Bamford singing 'I love Dulooooooth.' 
Actually, I kept hearing Kurt Cobaine singing, "I know a lady who came from Duluth...."

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ehdg_nirvana-lake-of-fire_music

Nancypalooza
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Tue, 06/29/10 1:34 PM
I see your maladjusted alternarock classic and raise you a web comedy show of delight: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=07FAAF5582CDD8A6  Episode 7 might be my favorite.

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9581
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Tue, 06/29/10 2:59 PM
Nancypalooza

I see your maladjusted alternarock classic and raise you a web comedy show of delight: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=07FAAF5582CDD8A6  Episode 7 might be my favorite.

That Woman needs professional HELP!

buffetbuster
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Tue, 06/29/10 3:29 PM
Immediately after the boat ride through the Apostle Islands, we had lunch in the quaint little town of Bayfield at Maggie's.  The restaurant is easy to find because of the bright pink exterior, 

while the inside is decorated with a flamingo motif.   

Yeah, we thought it was a bit much, too.  Apparently, Flamingos Up North is the name of the restaurant group that owns Maggie's.

The place was mostly full, with quite a few tables taken up by Coast Guard members.  Still, we didn't have to wait for a booth. Instead of filling up on entrees, we decided to sample some appetizers.  Johnny got the tortilla soup

(there is that face in Rhode Island again), which he enjoyed and said was heavy on the cilantro.  My hearty bowl of chili

could have been warmer, but otherwise was a real rib sticker.  I think this chili (and probably all chili) could be best appreciated in the Winter months.

One of my very favorite sides is sweet potato fries and the version here did not disppoint. 

Fresh cut, fried perfectly, covered with sea salt and accompanied by a tarragon sauce to dip, these disappeared quickly.  The only complaint and it is a minor one, is that I prefer my sweet potato fries cut thin and these were some of the fattest fries I've ever seen.

The last appetizer was something that we had to talk each other into trying.  Apparently, whitefish livers are popular around these parts.  Neither one of us are particularly a liver lover, but when again will we ever see this unusual dish on a menu again?

First of all, we were surprised how big they were.  They come with sauteed peppers, onions and mushrooms and the outside coat was deliciously crunchy.  But, the inside still had a distinct organ meat taste that neither one of us would really seek out.  By no means was this a bad dish, but it just wasn't for us.  Still, I'm glad we tried it.

Dessert time!!!!!  Here is the list of our choices.

Johnny was thrilled to see creme brulee

listed and he thoroughly enjoyed it.  By the way, that is Maggie's homamade whipped cream on the side, not ice cream, which is what we first thought.  Of course, I went for pie, selecting the cherry. 

This pie had plenty of tart cherries and a nice crumbly top.  Good pie!

Overall, even though we didn't love everything, Maggie's still gets a good recommendation.  One issue we had was with the service, which was painfully slow.  There were several tables who came in after us and were long gone before us.  It appeared there were only two servers working and it was just too much for them.  Normally, this wouldn't be that big of a deal, but we had to be somewhere.

South of Bayfield, near the town of Hayward, is the National Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame and Museum.  Now, I'm not a fisherman, but what attracted us about a potential visit is the giant fiberglass fish, one as large as a 757.  This was a photo opportunity I was just drooling over.  Unfortunately, they close at 3:30PM and we walked in the front door at 3:15.  The woman who greeted us, told us it was too late, they were closing up.  I asked if I could at least take a couple of photos and even tried to pour on the charm, but she was having none of it.  She completely shut us down.  At least I was able to take this photo from behind the fence.

Maggie's
257 Manypenny Avenue
Bayfield, WI
715-779-5641

http://www.roadfood.com/R...t/Reviews/6695/maggies 
<message edited by buffetbuster on Tue, 06/29/10 3:41 PM>

buffetbuster
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Tue, 06/29/10 3:49 PM
Brad_Olson

BB, because Wisconsin relies heavily on tourism all bears have been trained to stop and pose for photos when asked so there's never a reason to settle for a blurry image.  Unfortunately I didn't think to give you this advice before your visit.
Brad
Brad, thanks so much for this useful information.  If only I had known.  Now, the bear was making a beeline away from us.  How do I go about asking it to pose? Do I chase it into the woods, maybe, luring it with cheese curds?  

joerogo
  • Total Posts : 4468
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Tue, 06/29/10 3:54 PM
buffetbuster

Brad_Olson

Brad
Brad, thanks so much for this useful information.  If only I had known.  Now, the bear was making a beeline away from us.  How do I go about asking it to pose? Do I chase it into the woods, maybe, luring it with cheese curds?  

Not recommended.  You know what they do in the woods

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4737
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Tue, 06/29/10 3:57 PM
Curds would work but I think you'd have better luck if you simply rolled around in a full dumpster first.  No bear would ignore you then!

Brad

The Travelin Man
  • Total Posts : 3699
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Tue, 06/29/10 4:00 PM
joerogo

buffetbuster

Brad_Olson

Brad

Not recommended.  You know what they do in the woods

Somehow I am reminded of the Gilbert Gottfried joke whose punchline is something to the effect of "you don't come here for the hunting, do you?"

BuddyRoadhouse
  • Total Posts : 4086
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Tue, 06/29/10 5:26 PM
I'd like a PM of that joke, please.

Buddy

X1
  • Total Posts : 937
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Tue, 06/29/10 8:00 PM
ces1948

We are actually thinking of relocating to Appleton, WI so I'm very interested about local specialties in the area, the whole state really as I've never lived in Wisconsin before.

If you do, you'll find we're a pretty sociable bunch, and by "we", I mean The Contingent (formal name: The Wisconsin-Illinois Contingent). We often get together for planned and impromptu foodie meat...errr....meetups.
We'd love to have new members.

As far as Appleton goes - it's a charming little city. My favorite Italian place, ever, is there - Victoria's. It's like walking in to an old-school Mafiosi hangout. Which it might have been, considering WI was a popular home-away-from-home for the Chicago Mafia. 
Another great place is Van de Walle's Homemade Chocolates. It's near the sprawling Appleton Mall. 

Appleton is about an hour away from Madison, Green Bay and Milwaukee (in different directions), so great sightseeing and restaurants are always near, once you've tried all of Appleton's great places. 

Keep us posted if you move here, and we'll do a proper Contingent greeting.

buffetbuster
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Wed, 06/30/10 1:39 PM
One of the things I most wanted to do on this trip was to spend the night at Stout's Island Lodge.  Since it is located on an island in the middle of Red Cedar Lake, the thinking was, it would be a cool and unusual thing to do.  Little did I know just how unusual it would turn out to be.

I made the reservation online.  All the previous dates to May 26 were blocked off, but the website did accept a reservation for the 26th.  When I had already been to Wisconsin for a few days, the Lodge contacted me to say, that they made a mistake.  The Lodge actually didn't open until the next day, the 27th.  But, if I wished to, they would honor the reservation, just that they won't have everything up yet, including the dining room.  Knowing that changing the day of our visit would throw our itinerary off, we decided to stay there anyway. 

When we got to the address listed for the Lodge, we found a cabin and a dock, with this sign.

Knowing the ferry wouldn't be running on a regular schedule, I called and they said a boat would be right over to pick us up.  In just a few minutes, we could see a boat heading towards us. 

In the photo of the island, you can barely make out an American flag.  Here is the boat house where we landed.

The young man led us up to our room

(this is the outside of where our room was) and said he would bring up our luggage in a few minutes. 

Once the luggage was dropped off and he left, I asked Johnny if he was given a key.  He said no, so we looked at the door.  There is no outside lock on the door.  When I asked one of the employees later, he told me, they have never had a problem, so they have haven't installed locks on the doors.  Needless to say, I found this strange, but not a big deal.  That is because we were the only guests on the entire island!  This gave our visit here a bit of a The Shining quality to it!

We really enjoyed exploring the beautiful island, which I believe is 12 acres.  Most of the island is covered with woods or thick brush

and there is a nature trail on the far end.  Johnny and I took to a canoe and went out in the lake, which was lots of fun.  The main attraction, though, is the lodge itself.

Here is the inside,

which looks every bit like the 100 year old hunting lodge that it originally was. My personal favorite place to hangout was the white chairs,

overlooking the large lawn, with a great view of the water.

Since we were in the middle of a vacation where we were constantly running from one place to another, we found it very relaxing to be here.  Over the boathouse, they had a game room,

where Johnny and I played pool and ping-pong.  Unfortunately, the satellite tv wasn't set up yet and there was no net on the clay tennis court, but we found these minor annoyances.  They also have a firepit,

where they end each night with a bonfire, but it wasn't lit on this night.  Our dinner was the food which we brought to the island.  We snacked on meat sticks, smoked salmon and cookies, all which we had collected from the start of the trip. 

Johnny was tired and fell asleep before sunset, around 8:30.  That left just me to enjoy the gorgeous sunset,

from the balcony over top the boathouse.  For some reason, I just did not want to go to sleep.  I ended up walking around the island for hours until I settled in the dining room and read and played on my laptop.  Besides us, the only other two people on the island for the night were two chefs, working in the kitchen to get the dining room set up for the next day's guests.  One of them came out and gave me a bottle of wine.  I finally went back to the room and fell asleep around 12:30AM.

The next morning, the first light coming through the window woke me up, so I was back out to the same spot, to watch the sunrise. 

I just sat there and thoroughly enjoyed the tranquility and the beginning of a new day.

I ended up going back to bed, Johnny slept late and we didn't get out of the room until after 8:30, which is really late for us.  They did put out a breakfast of bagels, toast, granola w/yogurt, coffee and juice.  Afterwards, we took the boat back to shore and continued with the rest of our vacation.  Stout Island Lodge is one of the loveliest and most romantic places I have ever seen.  I hope to be back again, only this time when the dining room is open!

Stout Island Lodge
2799 27th Street
Birchwood, WI
715-354-3646

http://www.stoutsislandlodge.net/
<message edited by buffetbuster on Wed, 06/30/10 1:46 PM>

buffetbuster
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Wed, 06/30/10 1:53 PM
It just occurred to me that some of you might like to see what the rooms looked like.  Since there were no locks, we were able to walk around and check out lots of the rooms.  Here is the one next to ours,

which had a fireplace and a screened in sitting area.  The rooms did have a little bit of a musty smell, but since they hadn't really opened for the season yet, that is no surprise.  Otherwise, the rooms were very comfortable.

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9581
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Wed, 06/30/10 1:58 PM
Your experience at Stout Island Lodge is what life is all about!

susanll
  • Total Posts : 1077
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Wed, 06/30/10 2:01 PM

Stout Island Lodge is one of the loveliest and most romantic places I have ever seen. I hope to be back again, only this time when the dining room is open!

And with someone other than Cousin Johnny...

buffetbuster
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Wed, 06/30/10 2:25 PM
We weren't planning on a visit to Bloedow's Bakery,

but once we saw the GPS was going to take us right through Winona, Minnesota, we were happy to stop in.  I was here for the first time just last year.  In the Roadfood review, the Sterns highly recommend the peanut butter roll

and she is a beaut.  Just think of a cinnamon roll and replace it with peanut butter and that's what you got.  Pleasantly soft and sticky, but not overly sweet, it is a real pleasure to eat.  Bloedow's also offers a fine selection of donuts, bismarcks, long johns and

cookies and we loaded up on all kinds of goodies.  The peanut butter cookies and the peanut butter and jelly bismarcks

are also standouts. 

Bloedow's Bakery
451 E. Broadway Street
Winona, MN
507-452-3682

http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Reviews/6319/bloedow-bakery

Since we were already in town, a stop at Winona State University became necessary, so that I could pick up a college t-shirt.  This isn't a large school, but was still a very attractive campus, including the obligatory ivy covered halls.

<message edited by buffetbuster on Wed, 06/30/10 2:27 PM>

The Travelin Man
  • Total Posts : 3699
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Thu, 07/1/10 9:24 AM
buffetbuster

Since there were no locks, we were able to walk around and steal the chocolates off the pillows from the other rooms..... 

Huh.

You learn so much about your friends from their trip reports. 

buffetbuster
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Thu, 07/1/10 10:05 AM
TTM-
Hmmmm......  I don't really remember that, but if I said it, it must be true!

buffetbuster
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Thu, 07/1/10 10:53 AM
While on the brat trail in eastern Wisconsin, cousin Johhny and I made one more stop, Mihm's.  It is located in Menasha, a lovely town on the north end of Lake Winnebago.  The outside is a rather plain looking building,

but the inside is nicer than expected.  The counter,

with the comfortable, burgundy swivel chairs, was our choice of seats.  They have been charcoal grilling their food for over 50 years and the front of the menu

shows off their slogan, "Outside taste from an inside place".  From the counter, we had a great view of all the food being cooked over the charcoal grill.

They also have big menu boards on the wall and what caught my attention was the statement on the bottom that they will not serve Coca-Cola. 

I asked and the young lady who waited on us, (who turned out to be the current owner's daughter) told us that when the place first opened, a series of salesmen from different soft drink companies, visited to get Mihm's to serve their brand.  Apparently, The Coke salesman haughtily told the owner that if Mihm's didn't serve his product, they wouldn't be able to stay in business.  The owner didn't appreciate that and vowed Coke would never be served there.  When the current owners took over, they tried to take the Coke statement down, but the customers complained.  So, back up it went!

Johnny started his lunch with a bowl of the chicken dumpling soup. 

The dense dumplings were on the small side and I found the soup a little too salty for my taste.  Johnny was very happy with it, though.  And of course, more delicious cheese curds.

To drink, thinner than preferred, but still tasty shakes,

mine being banana and Johnny's strawberry.

Now for the real reason we were here.  Our brat sandwich

was a double, neatly butterflied inside an ultra-soft and airy bun.  The condiments were the usual, brown mustard, onion and pickle.  You could really taste the charcoal flavor and the butter in the brat.  My one complaint was that the top of the bun seemed overly greasy, which wasn't attractive, but didn't hurt the flavor at all.  Johnny's burger

was fine, but didn't reach the heights of the brat.

Mihm's Charcoal Grill
342 Chute Street
Menasha, WI
920-722-0306

http://www.mihmscharcoalgrill.com/
<message edited by buffetbuster on Thu, 07/1/10 10:55 AM>

Nancypalooza
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Thu, 07/1/10 11:16 AM
I would have trouble choosing between the peanut butter roll and the bismarck.  And what a pretty room!

MiamiDon
  • Total Posts : 4306
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Thu, 07/1/10 11:39 AM
Another fine trip report, buffetbuster!

Where does the butter come into the double-brat sandwich?

ces1948
  • Total Posts : 1499
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Thu, 07/1/10 11:47 AM
I saw something else interesting on the menu board at Mihm's $.50 extra for lettuce and $.30 extra for mayo. Seems it a little nickel and dime like. JMO

mr chips
  • Total Posts : 4715
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Mon, 07/12/10 1:55 AM
buffetbuster

Wisconsin truly is one of the best states for pie.  As if Stockholm Pie Company isn't proof enough, consider the Holy Hill Cafe .  For the first day or so of the trip, we were joined in Milwaukee by that illustrious eater, ChiTownDiner.

Located a little less than an hour from downtown Milwaukee, this is one of the most scenic and historic Roadfood settings.

Also known as The Old Monastery Inn Cafe,

we were the first customers of the day when they opened.  We were greeted by signs listing the days specials and pie selections. 

Guess which one we were more interested in?

But things were different now than in my previous visit.  Instead of utilizing the cafeteria line,

they now have waitress service.  Johnny and I started our meals with bowls of homey cheesy vegetable soup.

Sandwich-wise, Johnny and I split a generously stuffed egg salad,

which came with lettuce on it.  The side of potato salad tasted very fresh and strong on the mayo.  We all liked it.  ChiTownDiner seemed to be quite pleased with BLT.

Okay, now that we got the appetizers out of the way, it was time for the real reason we were here.  In case we didn't remember, this sign reminded us.

In the interest of being thorough, we ordered four slices of pie: Caramel Apple,

Fruits of the Forest,

Cherry

and Blueberry.

It didn't take long for all three of us to start making yummy noises, because these pies were excellent.  All of them were loaded with fresh, sweet fruit, in a thick, yet flaky crust.  To my surprise, the Blueberry Pie was clearly the best to my taste and I'm not usually a big blueberry lover.  Both Johnny and CTD named the Caramel Apple as their #1.  Since it was loaded with walnuts and I'm a nut frowner, I just picked at it.  All of us agreed that the Cherry Pie finished last, although the typical diner would be thrilled to serve a pie as good as this Cherry Pie.  Here is a photo of Johnny and CTD in full pie eating mode.

Not one to rest on his laurels, CTD grabbed a whole pie to go, which had just come out of the oven. 

I believe it was Blackberry Peach and I will leave the desciption to him.

Taking care of us at Holy Hill Cafe was our waitress Niki (on the right) 

and the head chef, Christina.  The man who used to run the place, Frank, is no longer here.  Obviously, Holy Hill Cafe is in good hands with these nice ladies.

Since we were here, we did check out the beautiful inside of the church

and the view surrounding it.  Next, we headed north towards Sheboygan.

Holy Hill Cafe
1525 Carmel Road
Hubertus, WI
262-628-4295

http://www.roadfood.com/R...ws/3762/holy-hill-cafe

The Sterns list fruits of the forest pie from the Holy Hill as one of the 500 things to eat in their latest book. How was that pie and did it make an impression on any of you?

<message edited by mr chips on Mon, 07/12/10 1:56 AM>

merick
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Fri, 03/11/11 9:47 PM
Mihm's is a great place to eat. This is actually its second location. The first was down the block a bit.

buffetbuster
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Sat, 03/12/11 7:43 PM
Always nice to see an old trip report return from the dead.  Which is a reminder that I need to finish this thing!

merick-
Thanks for the tidbit on Mihm's and I agree that it is a great place.  Just a few weeks ago, a co-worker was headed to Appleton and I pointed him towards Mihm's.  He really liked it, too.

buffetbuster
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Sat, 03/12/11 7:47 PM
mr chips-
My apologies for not answering you earlier.  Better late than ever! 

The fruits of the forest pie finished third on all three of our scorecards, only ahead of the cherry pie.  Both CTD and cousin Johnny ranked the caramel apple #1, while I liked the blueberry best.  But to be fair, all four of these pies were well above average, even in a great pie state like Wisconsin.

JRPfeff
  • Total Posts : 2376
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Sat, 03/12/11 7:54 PM
Hey double-b, any chance you'll be in WI on May 30?

buffetbuster
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Sat, 03/12/11 8:19 PM
Hey double-f, right now I have no plans for May 30, although it is my niece Rita's birthday.  Does this mean what I think it means?!?!?

JRPfeff
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Sat, 03/12/11 8:34 PM
Si, senor.  Things are slower than expected with the AZ place, so we should still own the WI home at that time.

buffetbuster
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Sat, 03/12/11 8:38 PM
Time to start checking flights on Midwest Frontier Airlines!  Thanks! 

Will I still be welcome, even if I wear a Steelers shirt?
<message edited by buffetbuster on Sat, 03/12/11 8:40 PM>

JRPfeff
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Sat, 03/12/11 8:45 PM
Steelers garbed guests will enjoy a private showing of NFL Property's Super Bowl XLV Champions in Blueray!

buffetbuster
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Sat, 03/12/11 8:49 PM
JRPfeff-
Oh no, that could ruin my appetite.  Then I would only be able to eat a half dozen slices of piediva creations!

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Sun, 03/13/11 9:22 AM
If this isnt a private party, I think I would love to join in! I have been a hermit too long....

buffetbuster
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Fri, 09/20/13 1:28 PM
It kind of irks me never finishing this trip report.  Maybe someday..... 

This past weekend, I flew in and out of Madison and it is quite easy to eat well in this part of the world.  Some of the food highlights:

Terrific brat,

with a nice smoked flavor from Mitchell's Hilltop Pub & Grill in Stevens Point.

The famous large cone

from Belt's Soft Serve in Stevens Point.  This one is half chocolate, half pumpkin.  The young lady who took my photo said this is two pounds of ice cream!

Polonia Café is a wonderful small town restaurant that the locals seem to love and is open 365 days a year.  Among the things available here are a homemade waffle with plum sauce

and a pistachio torte. 

Both were outstanding, as was a slice of banana cream pie!

I had the extreme pleasure of sharing a sausage plate

with Screaming Chicken and Kathy at Stalzy's Deli in Madison.

Monty's Blue Plate Diner was recommended by my waitress while enjoying a fish fry at The Old Fashioned.  The excellent breakfast included salmon hash, zucchini potato pancakes (along with homemade strawberry/cranberry sauce on the side) 

and finished up with a slice of pink lemonade pie!

Still, my favorite experience of the weekend was the atmosphere and staff at Zweig's in Watertown, who made me feel like a special guest.  They make a mighty fine burger, too,

such as this double with onions and pepperjack cheese.    
<message edited by buffetbuster on Fri, 09/20/13 1:36 PM>

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7410
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Fri, 09/20/13 1:40 PM
buffetbuster

I see you went to the Old Fashioned
Did you try their amazing cheese curds?

buffetbuster
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Fri, 09/20/13 2:05 PM

WJ-
Sure did!

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13405
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Fri, 09/20/13 2:14 PM
BB:  How did you consume that giant soft cone without it melting down you arm?  

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

buffetbuster
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Fri, 09/20/13 2:30 PM
Paul-
I didn't!  Lots and lots of napkins!  The drive back to Madison was hampered by a sticky steering wheel.
<message edited by buffetbuster on Fri, 09/20/13 2:31 PM>

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7410
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Fri, 09/20/13 2:32 PM

CajunKing
  • Total Posts : 6317
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Fri, 09/20/13 6:01 PM
No Dale, that one is

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13405
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Fri, 09/20/13 6:50 PM
buffetbuster

Paul-
I didn't!  Lots and lots of napkins!  The drive back to Madison was hampered by a sticky steering wheel.

I hope the rental did not charge you extra.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

JRPfeff
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! - Fri, 09/20/13 7:12 PM
buffetbuster,

I wish I could tell you that we set things up for you at Zweig's, but Natalie treats everyone like they are her favorite aunt/uncle/cousin.

Wedl's?

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 61 to 120 of 141