Hot!On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin!

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Author
Rufus Patterson
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2013/09/20 23:32:20 (permalink)
My family and I generally go to Holy Hill once a year. Sometimes Fall, other times Spring. It's certainly a great place. Amazing views, trails, the grounds in general are spectacular.

Sadly, we've never gone to the Cafe, because every time we have tried, it was closed. :( Your pics of it look good, I like how it used to be set up cafeteria style. That'd be awesome if it still were.
Rufus Patterson
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2013/09/20 23:38:02 (permalink)
I see you were in Stevens Point. Props! Belts is pretty good, but imho, the quality has been going down and the prices up. Granted, nowhere else (well, I'm sure they would) would be so easy and carefree to give you a 2 lb cone. I haven't been there recently since King Cone in Plover opened. Is that Pumpkin soft serve? Last time I was there they only did chocolate/vanilla/or twist? Or is that one of those Dole Flavor Twists type things? Where it's vanilla with flavoring added?

King Cone's ice cream is all homemade (with the exception of the chocolate/vanilla/twist soft serve, used for cones or flurries), and has a ton of amazing and unheard of flavors, with new ones weekly.

I miss the one in Amherst (it's still there, just now that one is in Plover...)

History of King Cone​

King Cone (a seasonal business) started in Amherst 29 years ago in the old Amherst IGA Store on Main Street, Amherst.   In  1989  King  Cone - Amherst moved to its present location on Hwy. KK (formerly Old Hwy. 10).  In 1999 their daughter (Beth) became manager and ran the store for 5 summers. Through the years King Cone evolved into a full service ice cream shop serving both soft serve and hard serve ice cream. In 2005 their son, Ben, took over as manager.
       In 2011 we opened a second location in Plover at 2534 Post Road. Also Ben became a partner in King Cone with his parents, to keep it a family tradition.
       When the second location was added we also started to make our own homemade ice cream, which is when we joined The National Ice Cream Retailers Association in order to network with our peers for ideas and flavors. The homemade ice cream was a way for us to be different than other ice cream shops in around. Providing flavors so different and unique you can't find them anywhere else!! So, if you are ever in the Amherst or Plover area please take the time to stop in and check out the selection of over 40 of our own homemade flavors available at all times.
http://www.kingconehomemadeicecream.com/#!about/c1mhs

(for some reason the link wasn't showing up, so I just screencapped it)

Cheers for the thread. Obviously, I don't post frequently, but I do lurk a lot. I like seeing the WI threads, as I've been to some of the places.

Also like seeing a lot of the ones out West (WA, OR, ID, etc) as I've lived out there and that is my favorite part of the US.

I've been to Hilltop and enjoy it as well. I've also been to Polonia Cafe, as that is where my Grandma lives, and she still goes there regularly.

What other places do you like in the Stevens Point/Plover/Central WI area?
post edited by Rufus Patterson - 2013/09/20 23:51:00
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15335
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2013/09/21 10:33:07 (permalink)
Rufus, Welcome to the group.
We like to visit "Hooker's" on the River just south of Portage, WI. Great 'Cook it Yourself' Steaks, and a good Friday Fish Fry make it a solid , if a bit Rustic, place for a weekend dinner.  With Family in Baraboo, we get up your way once or twice a year.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6559
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2013/09/21 14:12:39 (permalink)
AL - I misread your post and was going to ask if Janet was aware you were visiting with a hooker. 
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4318
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2013/09/24 02:55:49 (permalink)
What a coincidence; Mrs. Roadhouse and I are wandering Wisconsin at this very moment!

We started out in Green Bay where our local friends recommended a fantastic little Pasty spot, located in a gas station.  Naturally, when we got there, we got Travelin
Manned.  We did get some outstanding Frozen Custard at a place called Zesty's Frozen Custard.  Dare I say it...it might have been better than Kopp's.  Settle down Milwaukee folks, it was still Wisconsin Frozen Custard, and it was located in your state's version of Mecca, Green Bay.  It was denser and had a more intense vanilla flavor than Kopp's, plus it was a Banana Creme Pie Sundae.

The rest of the eating day was  fairly uneventful, although we did have Friday Fish Fry at Fred & Fuzzy's, an outdoor restaurant with, what they claim to be the best view of the sunset in Door County.  The fish was pretty good, the view was gorgeous, and the Door County Cherry Juice Margarita was a dandy way to start the meal.

Since then we've been back to Milwaukee for couple of days for a Contingent Tour, before heading west to Madison with a stop at Zwieg's for a Double CheeseBurger with Grilled Onions.  Tomorrow we hope to start our day in MadCity with a big bowl of Pel'Meni, the lovely Russian dumplings discussed in their own thread.

From there it's off to the Great River Road where we will take our cues from this report and also the one from KingT.  Pete's Hamburgers and Stockholm Pie Co., here we come!

Buddy
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2013/09/26 03:29:42
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 611
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2013/09/24 09:16:47 (permalink)
Great River Road- 
I highly recommend a stop at the Potosi Brewery-
great brews, great breweriana...
food looked good, we didn't eat.
If you go to Dubuque- MUST stop at Crust- super fun restaurant that gives you baskets of pizza crust nuggets that are totally addictive instead of bread-
Wonderful service, wonderful food, lots of great little antiquey stores in town.
easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 567
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2013/09/24 10:59:57 (permalink)
La Crosse (North La X, actually) has an old style Maid-Rite that does not resemble the chains in any way.  It's an older building off the beaten path, and it's mostly all locals all the time, I don't think visitors know about it.  A great old room with stools and booths,  filled with local railroad ambiance, from the nearby yards.  They have a much wider menu, breakfast from 600 AM, and many people get their Maid-Rite mixed with hash browns.  It's very good food.

In Trempealeau WI are two places -- The Hungry Point, a combination restaurant, boat landing and bait shop.  They used to have great burgers and fried fish, but they changed hands, and I haven't tried them, but I've heard they may even be better.

Also is the Trempealeau Hotel, famous for its locally known Walnut Burger.  It's a veggie burger, and it's good for what it is, I guess.  I prefer their appetizer Walnut Balls, as they have more crust.

A few miles north is the Hillside Supper Club (only open 4 or 5 pm), a long time place that used to buy fresh fish from the Indians in the 1800's.

In Fountain City is another historic place right on the main drag -- The Golden Frog, with a long history around here.  They're open for lunch.

Both the Hillside and the Frog are very familiar to me -- started going there with my parents over sixty years ago.

They are both very good.

Immediately across Hwy 35 from the Golden Frog is a lefse maker, forget the name, but it's RIGHT across the small street.  You can see them making it in the back room.  Couldn't be fresher!

BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2013/09/25 04:20:25 (permalink)
We were totally Travelin Manned!  Who knew Pete's was a seasonal business that ended weekday operation at the end of September?!?

Fortunately, still full from a Pel'Meni lunch and other treats in Madison, we were able to hold out until we reached another Great River Road favorite, Dick's Bar up in Hudson.  Originally recommended to me by JRPfeff about 6-8 years ago, Dick's has been a reliable, go to joint for a top notch Bar Burger.

Unfortunately, tonight's Burger turned out to be a disappointment.  Tuesday's are $1.75 Burger night, so I thought I'd hit the jackpot.  The very nice waitress assured me (and I'm sure she believed it) these were the exact same 1/3 lb. Burgers they serve the rest of the week.

What was served was in fact not their usual hand formed, thick, juicy patty, but a pre-formed Bubba Burger.  You know, the ones you buy frozen in the supermarket; all machine stamped with the exact same irregular shape so you think you're getting a quality, hand made Burger at your neighbor's backyard cook-out.

I've got to say that the chef at Dick's made that frozen patty taste a lot better than you'd expect (even managing to cook it to a perfect medium rare), but it clearly wasn't up to their usual high standard.  And no, I didn't complain because I figured for $1.75, I got my money's worth.  I'll just remember, if I'm ever in Hudson on a Tuesday night, not to order the Burger Special at Dick's.

Buddy
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2783
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2013/09/25 09:23:32 (permalink)
Buddy,

I thought about warning you, but wasn't sure about Pete's being open because I've never been there. Next time I'll open my big mouth.

Jim
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8699
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2013/09/25 09:25:06 (permalink)
Zestys Frozen Yogurt serves custard??????? Just saying......
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2013/09/26 03:33:21 (permalink)
Correction made above.  Thanks, ann, for pointing that out.  I've been typing these entries in the wee hours of the night/morning following 10-12 hours of driving and sightseeing during the day.  My fingers don't always type what my head is thinking.

Buddy
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2783
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2013/09/27 17:14:19 (permalink)
The Zwieg's Grill Chapter of the Buffetbuster Fan Club!

CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6559
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2013/09/27 17:34:11 (permalink)
JRPfeff

The Zwieg's Grill Chapter of the Buffetbuster Fan Club!

They look more like the TTM fan club!

Or

Hey Steve are they too old??  
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10517
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2013/09/30 07:55:04 (permalink)
JRPfeff

buffetbuster,

I wish I could tell you that we set things up for you at Zweig's, but Natalie treats everyone like they are her favorite aunt/uncle/cousin.

Wedl's?
No, did not get to eat at Wedl's, but it wasn't from alack of trying.  It was raining fairly hard that day and as I was driving into downtown Jefferson, they had the road to Wedl's blocked off.  It looked like they were having some kind of community day, with all the streets within a couple of blocks closed.  Driving around looking for a reasonable parking spot and then running to the restaurant in the rain just wasn't going to happen.

And that is a wonderful photo of Carol and Natalie from Zweig's!  Natalie waited on me, cooked my burger and happily posed for multiple photos,

while Carol put me on the phone with a friend of hers who was attending the Brewers game.  I can't remember the last time I have had so much fun in a restaurant! 
post edited by buffetbuster - 2013/09/30 07:59:08
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2013/09/30 08:06:05 (permalink)
Rufus Patterson
I've been to Hilltop and enjoy it as well. I've also been to Polonia Cafe, as that is where my Grandma lives, and she still goes there regularly.

What other places do you like in the Stevens Point/Plover/Central WI area?
Sorry Rufus, Hilltop, Belt's and Polonia Café were the only restaurants in the Stevens Point area that I visited.  No doubt there is plenty more good restaurants in the region.  Polonia Café was especially enjoyable and I loved the small town restaurant atmosphere.  The menu was standard burgers and sandwiches at lunch, nothing that caught my eye.  Everything I ordered was off of the specials board.  Would love to go back and try some more items.  Was does your grandma order and what did you eat?

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2013/09/30 08:09:38 (permalink)
Buddy-
I love what you added to this thread, so thanks so much.  It sounds like you were having a great time driving around Wisconsin.  Sorry to hear about being TTM'ed at Pete's Hamburgers.  Did you make it to Stockholm Pie Company?  Where else did you go?
post edited by buffetbuster - 2013/09/30 15:07:02
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2013/09/30 14:21:10 (permalink)
bb,
I was little concerned it might seem like I was butting my way into your report, so thanks for the thumbs up.  We did have a great trip with some outstanding food experiences along with a few misses.  I've got some time off later in the week and I'll try to write it up.

Buddy
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2013/09/30 15:09:02 (permalink)
Looking forward to it Buddy.  Wisconsin is probably my #2 choice for best states for Roadfood.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8699
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2013/09/30 20:30:38 (permalink)
Happy to hear, BB!
Ram4
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2014/02/03 17:32:43 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse

We were totally Travelin Manned!  Who knew Pete's was a seasonal business that ended weekday operation at the end of September?!?

Fortunately, still full from a Pel'Meni lunch and other treats in Madison, we were able to hold out until we reached another Great River Road favorite, Dick's Bar up in Hudson.  Originally recommended to me by JRPfeff about 6-8 years ago, Dick's has been a reliable, go to joint for a top notch Bar Burger.

Unfortunately, tonight's Burger turned out to be a disappointment.  Tuesday's are $1.75 Burger night, so I thought I'd hit the jackpot.  The very nice waitress assured me (and I'm sure she believed it) these were the exact same 1/3 lb. Burgers they serve the rest of the week.

What was served was in fact not their usual hand formed, thick, juicy patty, but a pre-formed Bubba Burger.  You know, the ones you buy frozen in the supermarket; all machine stamped with the exact same irregular shape so you think you're getting a quality, hand made Burger at your neighbor's backyard cook-out.

I've got to say that the chef at Dick's made that frozen patty taste a lot better than you'd expect (even managing to cook it to a perfect medium rare), but it clearly wasn't up to their usual high standard.  And no, I didn't complain because I figured for $1.75, I got my money's worth.  I'll just remember, if I'm ever in Hudson on a Tuesday night, not to order the Burger Special at Dick's.

Buddy
Hey Buddy, I've been Travel Manned many times myself.  Mi girlfriend and I planned a little trip at the end of October 2013 to Prairie du Chein taking the scenic Wisconsin River route (although my uncle who motorcycles the backroads of SW Wisc told me next time there are far more interesting routes).  Anyway I made sure Pete's was open since I knew it was seasonal.  Sure enough, I was in luck, last weekend of the year.  I have to say I was underwhelmed.  There is no way I'd go out of my way for Pete's again.  It was good, but didn't blow me away as I was hoping for.  So if that makes you feel any better... (probably not).  I posted about this on LTH a few months ago.

Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 915
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2014/02/03 17:54:25 (permalink)
Ram4

BuddyRoadhouse

Buddy
Hey Buddy, I've been Travel Manned many times myself.  Mi girlfriend and I planned a little trip at the end of October 2013 to Prairie du Chein taking the scenic Wisconsin River route (although my uncle who motorcycles the backroads of SW Wisc told me next time there are far more interesting routes).  Anyway I made sure Pete's was open since I knew it was seasonal.  Sure enough, I was in luck, last weekend of the year.  I have to say I was underwhelmed.  There is no way I'd go out of my way for Pete's again.  It was good, but didn't blow me away as I was hoping for.  So if that makes you feel any better... (probably not).  I posted about this on LTH a few months ago.
Your Uncle is 100% correct. I also ride the back roads of SW WI on a motorcycle and you have to stick to the "alphabet roads". Check out the link for some great examples. Also check out the link for the Rockton Bar, south of Ontario on the Kickapoo River. They have a fantastic BBQ chicken feed every Sunday (spring/summer). Should not be missed! I also have a ton of other suggestions. Just let me know.
http://www.wisconsinmotor....com/maps/sw/index.php
http://letseatwisconsin.com/?p=431
Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1