Once upon a time, a hungry girl from Mexico …

Author
Ashley Wilkes
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 80
2004/09/01 22:26:07 (permalink)

Once upon a time, a hungry girl from Mexico …

The local paper had a great article about a Mexican woman in Georgia. As a child, sometimes she had to wait for a chicken to lay an egg before she could eat a meal. Her story is an inspiring one about the American dream. So I thought I would post the link since it’s Roadfood related:

http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/news/8678180.htm

5 Replies Related Threads

Pwingsx
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: Once upon a time, a hungry girl from Mexico … 2004/09/04 02:35:59 (permalink)
    Hey Ashley,

I noticed people read this article, but no one posted about it.

I found it very interesting. At times I was much in sympathy with this woman, and yet at time I was quite put off.

Thanks for posting it.
    Ashley Wilkes
    Hamburger
    RE: Once upon a time, a hungry girl from Mexico … 2004/09/06 20:42:25 (permalink)
    Pwingsx, it is interesting that you were put off at times. But I guess I better not ask about why.

I did have one comment about her statement:

quote:
    "A lot of people come in and they have never had any Mexican food," Yolanda says. "And they tell you, 'I've never been to a Mexican restaurant.' "

What people are telling her is that they have never had any “real” Mexican food. Mexican-American food has been popular in this area for as long as I can remember. But that means burritos, enchiladas, tacos, etc. Her restaurant has items like alambres, camarones, morjarra frita, etc. Most folks around here (including myself) are not familiar with many of these items.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Once upon a time, a hungry girl from Mexico … 2004/09/06 21:03:42 (permalink)
    Thanks, Ashley. Although the author of that article needs to attend a rudimentary class on writing and punctuation, it was truly a service to tell the girl's story.

Americans have it much easier than they know, and it's good for people to hear about the REAL life that others have to endure.
    Pwingsx
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: Once upon a time, a hungry girl from Mexico … 2004/09/06 21:38:26 (permalink)
    I'm not sure what put me off exactly. Believe me, it wasn't racially motivated. It maybe was the discomfort of a gringa who's been yanked out of her comfort zone and forced to see the grit of some cold reality? Yet, I don't see that either.

Color me conflicted.

And confused. Was she actually making $70,000 a year at one point from the peaches? Shouldn't she have been living extremely well? Or at least comfortably with a family? I thought that cost of living was lower in that area than it is here (Colorado). Now I could be wrong!
    Ashley Wilkes
    Hamburger
    RE: Once upon a time, a hungry girl from Mexico … 2004/09/06 21:51:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pwingsx

I'm not sure what put me off exactly. Believe me, it wasn't racially motivated. It maybe was the discomfort of a gringa who's been yanked out of her comfort zone and forced to see the grit of some cold reality? Yet, I don't see that either.

Color me conflicted.

And confused. Was she actually making $70,000 a year at one point from the peaches? Shouldn't she have been living extremely well? Or at least comfortably with a family? I thought that cost of living was lower in that area than it is here (Colorado). Now I could be wrong!

I wondered about the $70,000 as well. My guess is that she was paid supervisor’s wages and that she put in long hours as well.

You are right about the cost of living in this area. It is very reasonable compared to many other areas of the country.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1