The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

One Star Roadfood Michelin Restaurants?

Stephen Rushmore Jr.

One Star Roadfood Michelin Restaurants? Mon, 12/28/09 11:14 AM (permalink)
CNN has an interesting video segment about a Hong Kong dive that received the prestigious one star Michelin rating.  Could/should roadfood type restaurant qualify in the US?

Link: http://www.cnn.com/video/...oren.hk.cheap.eats.cnn

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3667
    Re:One Star Roadfood Michelin Restaurants? Mon, 12/28/09 12:11 PM (permalink)
    If a restaurant serves high quality food, it  should be rated  even though it is a  Roadfood type of restaurant.  Unfortunately,  I think they would be far and few  between.  One restaurant that came to my mind was  "Sweet Potatoes" in  Savannah, GA.  The food is absolutely wonderful and the  prices are hard to believe.

They feature a different  sweet potato dish each day and each that we have tried  has as been terrific.  Their collard greens are the best that I have  ever had.  The service is fine.   It is located in a tiny  strip mall.  It serves amazing food!  We have stopped there often enough to know that the food is always awesome.

Sweet Potatoes: Endearing Food

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3095
      Re:One Star Roadfood Michelin Restaurants? Mon, 12/28/09 1:24 PM (permalink)
      Certainly. Perfectly cooked BBQ, chicken, biscuits is an art form that few have mastered but many have attempted. I appreciate a great Roadfood meal as much as a $100+ meal if not more.

EatingTheRoad

• Total Posts: 1205
        Re:One Star Roadfood Michelin Restaurants? Mon, 12/28/09 6:18 PM (permalink)
        Yeah...I wrote an article on that a bit ago:
        http://eatingtheroad.word...ar-dining-on-a-budget/     

Greymo

Re:One Star Roadfood Michelin Restaurants? Mon, 12/28/09 6:22 PM (permalink)
          I do not want to be rude, Eating The Road, but your response does not anwer  Stephen's question.

EatingTheRoad

• Total Posts: 1205
            Re:One Star Roadfood Michelin Restaurants? Mon, 12/28/09 6:53 PM (permalink)
            Sorry, I thought I had. I could have elaborated a bit more. I certainly think a roadfood type place should be considered. I think taste and quality should be the top most points to be taken into account when a place is reviewed...sure ambiance plays a role but what if you want that quirky atmosphere. I think a chef's abilities are what really count.     

BillyB

• Total Posts: 2851
              Re:One Star Roadfood Michelin Restaurants? Mon, 12/28/09 8:14 PM (permalink)
              Michelin star rating is for quality food and wine. I would hate to see this rating and then have a rat run through the dinning room. If this is the case you could have a Michelin restaurant and sit at a picnic bench under an umbrella.....

Greymo

Re:One Star Roadfood Michelin Restaurants? Mon, 12/28/09 8:37 PM (permalink)
                Michelin stars are awarded to restaurants offering the finest cooking, regardless of cuisine style. Stars represent only what is on the plate. They do not take into consideration interior decoration, service quality or table settings.

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
                  Re:One Star Roadfood Michelin Restaurants? Mon, 12/28/09 8:54 PM (permalink)
                  Michelin stars mean nothing to me. A review from a trusted personal, Roadfood or Yelp source is what counts.

Stephen Rushmore Jr.

Re:One Star Roadfood Michelin Restaurants? Mon, 12/28/09 9:31 PM (permalink)
                    Greymo

Michelin stars are awarded to restaurants offering the finest cooking, regardless of cuisine style. Stars represent only what is on the plate. They do not take into consideration interior decoration, service quality or table settings.

Unless times have changed, I don't believe that is true.  The two and three star have minimum service, seating, ambiance standards.  You will never find a three star Michelin in a loud and crowded environment.

BillyB

• Total Posts: 2851
                      Re:One Star Roadfood Michelin Restaurants? Mon, 12/28/09 9:34 PM (permalink)
                      The best review is the parking lot, if its full of cars its good, no cars bad.. even a caveman could figure this one out

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7762
                        Re:One Star Roadfood Michelin Restaurants? Mon, 12/28/09 9:48 PM (permalink)
                        Stephen Rushmore Jr.

Greymo

Unless times have changed, I don't believe that is true.  The two and three star have minimum service, seating, ambiance standards.  You will never find a three star Michelin in a loud and crowded environment.

Jean Georges in NYC is rated three stars and gets quite loud.

Greymo

Re:One Star Roadfood Michelin Restaurants? Mon, 12/28/09 10:11 PM (permalink)
                          BillyB

The best review is the parking lot, if its full of cars its good, no cars bad.. even a caveman could figure this one out

Right.....just check out the parking lots at Olive Garden

CCinNJ

Re:One Star Roadfood Michelin Restaurants? Mon, 12/28/09 10:43 PM (permalink)
                            Peter Luger is rated one star and Roadfood includes a review of Peter Luger by Michael Stern.

Stephen Rushmore Jr.

Re:One Star Roadfood Michelin Restaurants? Mon, 12/28/09 11:01 PM (permalink)
                              Good article on Slate about Michelin lowering standards, which I happen to agree with.  Remember, they are a business, and they are probably hurting like the rest of the world, which could be the motivation for changing standards.

Link: http://www.slate.com/id/2129306/

I have eaten at Jean Georges several times (even met the man himself), and while I think it is a great place, it wouldn't be anything more than a one star in Paris.  For another comparison, take a look at the Zagat ratings in NYC vs. Paris.  I think a 23 in Paris is comparable to a 27+ in the Big Apple.

CCinNJ

Re:One Star Roadfood Michelin Restaurants? Mon, 12/28/09 11:16 PM (permalink)
                                Michelin was  more about the world outside of the United States. That was how it was for about 100 years. If they had any great opinion about the dining culture here...it would not have taken so long. Many people in the United States hear Michelin and they think tires and a big friendly Marshmallow man.

Mention James Beard and Zagat and a great deal of people who are not "foodies" will know it is about food. Michelin...big puffy guy in the rain looking for his dog.
                                <message edited by CCinNJ on Mon, 12/28/09 11:25 PM>

MiamiDon

Re:One Star Roadfood Michelin Restaurants? Tue, 12/29/09 9:01 AM (permalink)
                                  On the whole, most around here would not recognize the starred restaurants as "Roadfood".

Flip to the next page in the NYC book, and you will find a category called "Bib Gourmand", and on the next page "Where to eat for less than $25".

On those two pages I see some recognizable names, such as:

Daisy May's BBQ
                                  Katz's
                                  Momofuku Noodle Bar
                                  Blue Smoke
                                  Dinosaur Bar-B-Que
                                  Barney Greengrass
                                  P.J. Clarke's
                                  Smoke Joint
                                  Sripraphai
                                  Fatty Crab

CCinNJ

Re:One Star Roadfood Michelin Restaurants? Tue, 12/29/09 11:39 AM (permalink)
                                    I think the absence of wine as a core part of this culture is one of the reasons why it would be very difficult for most Roadfood establishments to make it to a star. There is also a lack of translation in the food here...vs. France. Upscale  French cuisine is more complex. A very intricate building process with much smaller  portions and more courses. The simple food is simple but locally sourced fresh viewed as elegant sophisticated...and usually served with wine. Apprenticeships start at a very young age with a very diciplined approach.

Much easier for a "dive" in Japan to score a star. The French relate to the cuisine in Japan and the wine in Italy.

michaelcarraher

• Total Posts: 159
                                      Re:One Star Roadfood Michelin Restaurants? Mon, 05/31/10 3:53 PM (permalink)
                                      I was at Barnes and Noble and I did a quick spot check in the Michelin USA East guide.  I found three restaurants also in Roadfood:
                                      Rendezvous in Memphis
                                      Katz Deli in New York
                                      Bern's Steakhouse in Tampa (not in the current book but was listed previously).
                                      I'm sure there are more, although probably not a large number that overlap with Roadfood.

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6100
                                        Re:One Star Roadfood Michelin Restaurants? Mon, 05/31/10 5:06 PM (permalink)
                                        The Michelin people haven't given me a star yet, but the folks at Goodyear love my place!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                          • No New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                          • Read Message
                                          • Post New Thread
                                          • Reply to message
                                          • Post New Poll
                                          • Submit Vote
                                          • Post reward post
                                          • Delete my own posts
                                          • Delete my own threads
                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com