One more chance...

Author
TravelingPan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
2013/09/17 06:41:42 (permalink)

One more chance...

Early in life I like many others worked in food service. From upscale country club settings to upscale italian restaurants to fast food and pizza joints. It was my dream to open my own kitchen "some day" and as life beat me down and forced me from one career to another I lost sight of that dream completely. I'm not a "work for the man" kind of guy and as such have spent nearly 20 years working for myself in various trades from owning a small landscaping business building retaining walls to owning my own tractor/trailer and contracting to United/Mayflower to hustling kirby vacuum cleaners door to door. I'm at a point in my life where I am now essentially unemployable (primarily due to my inability to watch others reap the benefits of my labor while I struggle to feed my children), haven't worked since last November, and am nearly out of options. I have decided that following my dream of opening a restaurant is my best and perhaps only option left at this point however in this particular fiscal environment I cannot justify borrowing upwards of 750k only to be locked in and stuck with whatever brick and mortar location I can muster. In fact I cannot really even justify pulling equity from my home in this unstable market... I am convinced that a food truck is the way to go and that I likely do NOT want a partner to share profits with (if indeed there ever are any). My first question for you is simple enough... Is it feasible to put a truck on the side of the road for under $20k? I know there are some variables to consider and as I understand things, here in Indiana we have some pretty basic and relaxed regulations for this type of venture. Next question... What sort of annual fixed expenses/costs should I expect? Is it reasonable to plan for around $20k in fixed costs annually? I have a million more questions already and am constantly adding to the research journal I've started for this project but will leave it at this for now as I am already gleaning much useful info from this forum and hope to get to know many of you over the next few months as I finalize my decision and put my plans into motion. Thank you for any and all input you can offer a FNG!

8 Replies Related Threads

hpx
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 30
    Re:One more chance... 2013/09/17 09:35:52 (permalink)
    Build it yourself with used (but not abused) equipment for a fraction of the cost. Starting with a huge overhead is certain failure. Simple and efficient is the way to go. Also doing it yourself will allow you to have it exactly the way you want it. DONT BELIEVE THE SHOWS ON TV. They have no connection whatsoever to reality. Best of luck.
    TravelingPan
    Junior Burger
    Re:One more chance... 2013/09/17 18:13:45 (permalink)
    hpx

Build it yourself with used (but not abused) equipment for a fraction of the cost. Starting with a huge overhead is certain failure. Simple and efficient is the way to go. Also doing it yourself will allow you to have it exactly the way you want it. DONT BELIEVE THE SHOWS ON TV. They have no connection whatsoever to reality. Best of luck.

Thank you. I didn't specify that I would be building it myself but thought it was sort of obvious by my budget. What are all these "shows on tv" everyone keeps talking about? I don't watch television, all my content comes via the webz.
    post edited by TravelingPan - 2013/09/17 18:53:10
    hpx
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 30
    Re:One more chance... 2013/09/18 10:50:34 (permalink)
    The "shows on TV" are great food truck race, and eat street. I know many people running self built trucks that did it for 6 to 8 grand. Are they the shiniest? Nope. Are they fancy wrapped? No. Are they making money? YES. Just my 2cents
    TravelingPan
    Junior Burger
    Re:One more chance... 2013/09/18 18:40:27 (permalink)
    I was thinking 10k would be a good jump off point then I started pricing things out. Around here 5-10 is about what I'll have to drop just to get a decent functioning truck to work with. Thank you for the input, I'll have to check those programs out to see the imaginary side of things lol.
    chefbuba
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1998
    Re:One more chance... 2013/09/18 18:52:29 (permalink)
    Here's a good read from another site.

TravelingPan
    Junior Burger
    Re:One more chance... 2013/09/18 20:37:30 (permalink)
    chefbuba

Here's a good read from.

Yes, informative indeed! Thank you.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10284
    Re:One more chance... 2013/09/19 00:49:56 (permalink)
    The first thing you need to do is read everything on the "Restaurant
    Professionals Forum" There are 4214 Topics and 52,648 posts on them.
    You will have the equivalent of a Culinary School Degree and a Mechanical/Electrical Engineering Degree!

post edited by Foodbme - 2013/09/19 00:52:32
    TravelingPan
    Junior Burger
    Re:One more chance... 2013/09/19 01:40:40 (permalink)
    Foodbme

The first thing you need to do is read everything on the "Restaurant
    Professionals Forum" There are 4214 Topics and 52,648 posts on them.
    You will have the equivalent of a Culinary School Degree and a Mechanical/Electrical Engineering Degree!

Lol, I see that! I'll get through it eventually. My first kitchen job was actually working in the country club my grandparents own as a dishwasher/chefs assist/apprentice. I learned a lot from that. My last kitchen job was cooking/managing a small family owned restaurant and bar in StPaul, MN. I'm not exactly new to the food game in general just new to the idea of a low overhead mobile unit....and a bit rusty as it's been about 16-20 years since I've been involved.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1