The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Onion Rings & Fries

cowboy bob 2

• Total Posts: 101
Onion Rings & Fries Sun, 09/11/05 11:19 AM (permalink)
Hi All, My question is. I now do FF, Lg & small. To increase sales I thought about Onion Rings. How are they measured. OZ's LG or Small, Suggested retail Price. I now weigh my fries per serving for concistancy (sp) 1.25 for small - 2.25 fro lg, everybody is happy about price and sizes. My fries are pre-cut & frozen, I would do the same for Onion Rings. All helpful suggestions would be appreciated.
Would you like some cheese or chili with those fries just add 25 cents each, Please
Later Cowboy Bob in Pa
PS just celebrated my first year of concession Business last Month.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
    RE: Onion Rings & Fries Sun, 09/11/05 11:50 AM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by cowboy bob 2

Hi All, My question is. I now do FF, Lg & small. To increase sales I thought about Onion Rings. How are they measured. OZ's LG or Small, Suggested retail Price. I now weigh my fries per serving for concistancy (sp) 1.25 for small - 2.25 fro lg, everybody is happy about price and sizes. My fries are pre-cut & frozen, I would do the same for Onion Rings. All helpful suggestions would be appreciated.
    Would you like some cheese or chili with those fries just add 25 cents each, Please
    Later Cowboy Bob in Pa
    PS just celebrated my first year of concession Business last Month.

IMO, I would make the OR's fresh. Not too hard. Popeye's takes onions, presliced, and coats them in plain flour (dry mix). They are stored in their to be paper serving containers in the fridge. Upon being ordered, they are dipped in (your choice of) wet mix (kept ice cold) and immediately deep fried. Depending upon how thick you plan to slice your onions (I would suggest at least a quarter-inch thick), I would offer at least a 5-6 oz. serving for small and at least a 9-12 oz. serving for large. You can "custom-up" your wet batter recipe to your specifications, etc. IMO, OR's have the potential to upgrade any & all customer orders, but only if they are fresh, tasty, and HOT out of the fryer.

Corn Dog Queen

• Total Posts: 9
      RE: Onion Rings & Fries Sun, 09/11/05 9:20 PM (permalink)
      HiCowboy Bob 2
      KISS, same size as the fries, same containers but charge at least $ .50 more for the O rings. Use the best frozen pre made ones you can, even for trial basis. Myself I'd love the fresh cut ones, but I'm thinking volume, way more speedy and effective, also easier on your grease, not to mention labour. Do you people use vinegar on your fries and onion rings with salt too ? Us Canadians love the vinegar... eh.
      All the best.

cowboy bob 2

RE: Onion Rings & Fries Sun, 09/11/05 9:37 PM (permalink)
        To Corn Dog Queen, Yes some people want Vinegar on their Fries.
        I use the Executive Brand Fries, from Bj's, Ithink I will Buy some Rings this week and try them same brand name..
        Maybe this was not presented right first time, in my concession trailer, we can't do things from scratch, so Executive Brand does all the work for me. Also my customers must like the food, because, they keep coming back. It's nice to have regular ones 5 days a week. In my trailer I sell hot dogs for breakfast, I put some on at 7:30 in AM, But what I really want to do is serve a grilled egg w/Sausage or bacon sand, until I get set up. It takes 1 to 2 hrs to be totally ready. But I have a system in place so I can sell anything when I unlock the door. A dog in three minutes, an egg sand in 5 min, coffee in three. If you don't serve them, It's a missed opportunity, and you can say good by to $$$$. If when I close the door. and someone wants something, I will reopen the door and feed them. This keeps them coming back even tho I have regular hours posted. When I shut down I can be done in 10 minutes and outta there.
        Well I ramble on gotta go.
        CBB

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
          • Roadfood Insider
          RE: Onion Rings & Fries Mon, 09/12/05 8:04 AM (permalink)
          Happy 1 year anniversary Bob! Makes life so much more enjoyable when you get up in the morning and go to a job you enjoy...

dreamzpainter

• Total Posts: 1609
            RE: Onion Rings & Fries Mon, 09/12/05 4:12 PM (permalink)
            serving brkfast sandwichs can be as time consuming if not more than any other aspect of an operation. You are basically running a short order grill and need to have bacon or sausage at least partially cooked and waiting for each order, cracking and whipping eggs or just frying them up will also cut into your prep/set-up times and if your brkfast becomes really popular........ you may be to busy making brkfast to prepare for lunch.... not necessarily a bad thing but one to consider

Scallion1

• Total Posts: 418
              RE: Onion Rings & Fries Mon, 09/12/05 5:11 PM (permalink)
              Cowboy, it would seem to me that .25 for cheese or chili isn't nearly enough. Especially if, as it seems, you're buying the chili; figure out how much you're putting on a serving, and figure out what your cost/ounce is. If you're not at least - at least - doubling it, don't bother.
              I don't know your market, but around here any hamburger that gets a slice of cheese on it is between .50 and $1.00 more expensive. It's a ripoff, but no one ever complains. Just the way it is, I guess, like paying seven or eight bucks for a caesar salad.
              I wouldn't worry about selling too much breakfast and cutting into your prep time. If you sell a cup of coffee with each breakfast, your overall food cost should be microscopic. And I don't see what the big deal with breakfast prep is; if it's a space/time issue, buy the precooked, frozen sausage patties and, if you have to, bacon.
              High cash flow and low food cost trump ANY other considerations.

V960

• Total Posts: 2429
                RE: Onion Rings & Fries Tue, 09/13/05 9:16 AM (permalink)
                Regular pancake batter makes a great onion ring. I don't use anything frozen and it's mostly organic. Niche market but I work less and make more money that way. I'm not in it for the volume but the profits. Be careful when you claim organic...ie the onions are organic but don't claim the onion rings are organic as you probably can't trace the pancake mix or the oil.

Also charge more of toppings but be generous w/ them.

pacman

• Total Posts: 160
                  RE: Onion Rings & Fries Tue, 09/13/05 12:32 PM (permalink)
                  "PS just celebrated my first year of concession Business last Month."

CBB2,

Congrats on the anniversary. Did you ever post as to where in the Lancaster area you are set up? DW and I keep trying to get down there for the weekend but haven't been too lucky lately. Would love to drop by and try your food.

Dan

cowboy bob 2

RE: Onion Rings & Fries Tue, 09/13/05 7:31 PM (permalink)
                    Location is 5 miles North of Lancaster on Rte 72 or the Manheim Pike off rte 30. The location of my set-up is on the Truck Lot of the worlds Largest Auto Auction. My location is open to the public which 25% of my business is the Public. 25% employees and 50% Truck Drivers. I could be open 24hrs a day 7 days a week. But I choose to be open Mon to Friday 8 till 4pm Every other Sat. till 1 pm. I use an ounce of chili for 25 cents and grated cheese for 25 cents
                    Lets refraise that: a chili cheese dog for $2.00.
                    Every other week is a 2 day sale, so sales are higher on that week. If you want to visit, just follow the Car carriers from all over the US. I run the business alone and have my customers trained to call on my cell phone for fast service. Today a fire co. called and ordered 12 Gut buster Sabretts for a total of 24 dollars. They give me a 15 minute lead time. So I can wait on other customers. while the Sabretts are grilling. I just raised my Hot Dog prices last week.
                    Here is my cell phone number for anyone who wants to visit.
                    (717) 538-6963 I started out as a hot dog wagon and am now a Cowboy Bob's Cafe. I wanted only to sell Hot Dogs, But Noooo! they wanted fries, then they wanted Hamburgers, Now they want Onion Rings, Today 2 guys wanted Cheese Steaks. Today I got the Onion Rings to practice with tommorrow. Next week I will try Cheese steaks for $4.00 on a small sub roll. I lost my KISS, but I never will be Brick and Mortar. But I will be Buying a larger Trailer next year. Also I do Soup of the week.
                    Hay I gotta go now. Later CBB
                    PS I am not a gourmet rest. I sell fast food cheap and do over a hundered thousand a year in sales. not bad for a one man operation.

Shirley U. Jest

• Total Posts: 48
                      RE: Onion Rings & Fries Wed, 09/14/05 9:12 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      I started out as a hot dog wagon and am now a Cowboy Bob's Cafe. I wanted only to sell Hot Dogs

Has anyone else seen the new wave of hot dog stands going up? In South Florida, on Hallandale Beach Blvd, there are 2 hot dog restaurants, catering to "Chicago Style Dogs" within 5 blocks of one another. It's all about Hot Dogs lately.

V960

RE: Onion Rings & Fries Wed, 09/14/05 10:33 PM (permalink)
                        Cowboy Bob,
                        A few ideas you might want to consider.

Sloppy Joes or loose meat sandwiches. You keep a kettle or large crock pot of this goop simmering and simply dish it out on a bun, top w/ cheese or whatever and it's done.

Mix up your own hot sauce..actually simple and will make your place special.

Prepackaged salads...it will surprise you how many will choose this, especially if their doctor's visit was in the past month.

Big bowl of fruit for whatever the market will bear...generally fifty cents for a banana or apple.

Put up a sign that your slaw, chili, or whatever is available in bulk. It will surprise you how many will saddle this pony. All it takes is a supply of containers w/ lids. Price it reasonably high as that will make them think it is a find.

Good luck....

clamshell

• Total Posts: 12
                          RE: Onion Rings & Fries Thu, 09/15/05 9:36 AM (permalink)
                          If you are going to bread your own {wich is a much better product and more cost effective] you will have to filter nightly because of the sediment from the coating. Not to get off topic but I had an interesting call from a gentlemen from Colorado this summer {my drive in is in the lakes region of New Hampshire} He wanted to purchase our onion ring recipe. The wife said no way!

wheregreggeats.com

RE: Onion Rings & Fries Thu, 09/15/05 10:09 AM (permalink)
                            I've never ordered onion rings twice at anyplace that featured the frozen ones.

Fries are another matter -- but borderline.

People who feature them fresh (like at so many east coast fairs) are awesome.

Copperhedzkettle

• Total Posts: 293
                              RE: Onion Rings & Fries Thu, 09/15/05 2:02 PM (permalink)

Congrats Cowboy!!!! Whats protocol for the first year, paper? heh heh

I love homemade OR's, I suppose it would depend on if you wanted to be "known" for a specialty, or just beefing up your menu. And of course, how much time you got for prep.

Best of luck!

Copper

Shirley U. Jest

• Total Posts: 48
                                RE: Onion Rings & Fries Thu, 09/15/05 3:18 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                I've never ordered onion rings twice at anyplace that featured the frozen ones.

I'm persnickety. I ask them if they're homemade. If they're not, I won't order.

dreamzpainter

• Total Posts: 1609
                                  RE: Onion Rings & Fries Thu, 09/15/05 5:24 PM (permalink)
                                  Cowboy.. sounds like a going operation you have there. Onion rings sound like a great addition to your menu and you seem to be concerned with quality (which many trucks in phila are not)I hope you plan on thinly sliced ribeye for the Cheesesteaks and not a steakum type product. Even without the brick and mortar you seem to have left KISS far behind, hopefully we'll soon hear you complaining about employees. Best of luck...........

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                    RE: Onion Rings & Fries Thu, 09/15/05 11:24 PM (permalink)
                                    I can picture CB getting a semi trailer, converting it to a kitchen and eating area before too long! (Health Dept. approval of course). But as for the Onion Rings, frozen ones always sold so so.. Fresh cut and beer battered always where a pain in the arse, but sold like hotcakes! But as mentioned above, daily fryer straining is a must.. So I'd say go with the fresh.. (Good reason to get some help vs. a 1 man operation).. Good Luck!

cowboy bob 2

RE: Onion Rings & Fries Sat, 09/17/05 6:35 PM (permalink)
                                      Was I gyped or not? Went to a local eatery my wife likes and they had onion rings on menu. I bit. 7 onion rings. real round onions but frozen from supplier. Hey 7 for only $3.00, what a deal
                                      Cowboy bob

Theedge

• Total Posts: 1196
                                        RE: Onion Rings & Fries Sat, 09/17/05 8:02 PM (permalink)
                                        The best fries I've ever had we're at a little sub shop we used to have here in town. They would just take a potato, cut it with a little multi blade deal they had on the wall, and throw them in the broaster. I don't understand the appeal of frozen fries. Why don't more of you just use fresh?

rllgthunder

• Total Posts: 17
                                          RE: Onion Rings & Fries Sat, 09/17/05 9:42 PM (permalink)
                                          Theedge,
                                          I think alot of the big chains have something to do with that. I'm doing twice thrown fresh cuts and a young girl bought some the other day. She got them to go and came back in a few minutes later to complain about them. She didn't like the look of them because they didn't look like McD fries. Since I drop ours fresh upon order I asked her if she had tried one. She said no and I told her to try one and if she wasn't happy I'd refund her money. She was surprised at the difference in taste, apologized and took them with her.

As far as fresh cuts go they're alot of work. We cut ours with the same tool but soak ours in water to bring out the starch to keep them from clumping up in the fryers. Then you have to dry them well which takes more work. They're also hard on oil and break it down faster. It takes a little longer for the fryer to also recover because of all the water in fresh cuts as well. If you can get a premium for them they're worth it. If not, frozen is the way to go.

V960

RE: Onion Rings & Fries Sun, 09/18/05 3:28 PM (permalink)
                                            Thank you Shirley and Greg...you're my customers. We don't roll out the van as often as we should (too much comp lately) but we really enjoy it when we do. Everything fresh, most organic, 50% from our farm and really a joy to talk w/ people.

Trailer is for sale (actually my better half says sold) so I guess I'm really out of that business. I'm really going to miss it.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                              • No New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                              • Read Message
                                              • Post New Thread
                                              • Reply to message
                                              • Post New Poll
                                              • Submit Vote
                                              • Post reward post
                                              • Delete my own posts
                                              • Delete my own threads
                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com