Onion Rings

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18267
RE: Onion Rings 2006/02/25 17:52:52 (permalink)
Some of the very best onion rings I've ever had are those from Hoggy's in Linworth, Ohio.
BelleReve
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1153
RE: Onion Rings 2006/03/01 21:26:53 (permalink)
The first time I ate what was then called an "Onion Mum" was at a NO lakefront restaurant called Russell's Marina Grill, this was in the mid 1980's which I think was a few years ahead of Copeland's.
Some of the best onion rings in NO I've had were at a little neighborhood restauarant on Magazine Street - Joey K's, if anyone is familiar with it.
stevencarry
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 359
RE: Onion Rings 2006/03/01 23:18:56 (permalink)
Is the Bloomin'Onion at Outback better than the Awesome Blossom at Chili's
And why do I love all onions, and many fried foods but not like onion rings.
Except the Blossom ?
sk bob
  • Total Posts : 1801
RE: Onion Rings 2006/03/02 16:06:38 (permalink)
Ruby Tuesdays used to have decent ORs - straws i guess they call them, then they changed the recipe.
SassyGritsAL
  • Total Posts : 1089
RE: Onion Rings 2006/03/06 13:47:58 (permalink)
For fast food onion rings, I am hooked on Popeyes. They are always, hot, crispy, and a little spicy. I get a large order and eat it for lunch w/a cold Diet Coke (defeating my purpose - oh well).
Tad
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: Onion Rings 2006/03/15 11:01:18 (permalink)
I am new here and have not read all of your "reviews" about Onion Rings and the places that serve them, you will see why if you read on.

Believe me; Onion Rings are truly a "passion" of mine. In my opinion, you will only be served "consistently" enjoyable "Rings" from "Old School Venues" when "dining out". If there is an "Old School Venue" near you serving good Onion Rings, then "patronize it" frequently and "promote it" every chance you get. That is Best!

OK, maybe you are like me and don't have a local good Onion Ring source. Then make them yourself! Here's my current, ever evolving, home cooked Onion Ring recipe. Please, if you have one yourself please send it. If you have one, or an improvement to mine, please send it!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Buy a "beautiful", fresh, big "Purple" Onion at your Grocer.

Slice that onion into 1/4" thick circular slices & "store" the seperated slices in "freezing cold" water in your fridge, add ice cubes to the water so it is very cold. I have "soaked" onions this way for 24+ hours with good results (potatoes too).

Then when you are ready to cook: in a "high sided" fry pan pour 1-2 inches of oil (I use Canola). Then very, very slowly ramp up the pan's heat from cool to fry temp. Don't jump to fry temp, do it very slowly or the oil will burn!

While you very slowly ramp up the pan's heat, start making the batter for your Onion Rings.

Currently I make my batter this way and I would like feedback on better batters: egg, milk and flour mixed to "pancake batter" consistency is my current coating.

When the slowly heating oil in the pan "spits" back at me when I "flick" water into it, I dry off my ice-cold soaking rings, dredge one through the batter and try it.

Usually it is good and then I fry the rest until "golden brown" and then keep them on a tray in the oven at low temp until I can eat them with my meal.

I also do "Fried Green Tomatos", "Fried Mushrooms", "Chicken Strips" and "Chicken Livers" this way. I love them all with a variety of "dipping sauces".

Please send your ideas!
Tad
Red Green
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 26
RE: Onion Rings 2006/04/23 08:45:58 (permalink)
Bloomin' Onion/Outback, Onion Rings/Sonic, Popeye's, & Runza are really good! (Popeye's are greasy though)
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5065
RE: Onion Rings 2006/04/23 10:35:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Tad

I am new here and have not read all of your "reviews" about Onion Rings and the places that serve them, you will see why if you read on.

Believe me; Onion Rings are truly a "passion" of mine. In my opinion, you will only be served "consistently" enjoyable "Rings" from "Old School Venues" when "dining out". If there is an "Old School Venue" near you serving good Onion Rings, then "patronize it" frequently and "promote it" every chance you get. That is Best!

OK, maybe you are like me and don't have a local good Onion Ring source. Then make them yourself! Here's my current, ever evolving, home cooked Onion Ring recipe. Please, if you have one yourself please send it. If you have one, or an improvement to mine, please send it!

Slice that onion into 1/4" thick circular slices & "store" the seperated slices in "freezing cold" water in your fridge, add ice cubes to the water so it is very cold. I have "soaked" onions this way for 24+ hours with good results (potatoes too).

Then when you are ready to cook: in a "high sided" fry pan pour 1-2 inches of oil (I use Canola). Then very, very slowly ramp up the pan's heat from cool to fry temp. Don't jump to fry temp, do it very slowly or the oil will burn!

While you very slowly ramp up the pan's heat, start making the batter for your Onion Rings.

Currently I make my batter this way and I would like feedback on better batters: egg, milk and flour mixed to "pancake batter" consistency is my current coating.

When the slowly heating oil in the pan "spits" back at me when I "flick" water into it, I dry off my ice-cold soaking rings, dredge one through the batter and try it.

Usually it is good and then I fry the rest until "golden brown" and then keep them on a tray in the oven at low temp until I can eat them with my meal.

I also do "Fried Green Tomatos", "Fried Mushrooms", "Chicken Strips" and "Chicken Livers" this way. I love them all with a variety of "dipping sauces".

Please send your ideas!
Tad

Popeye's takes onions, presliced from the morning prep, and coats them in plain flour (dry mix). They are stored in their to-be paper serving containers in the fridge. Upon being ordered, they are dipped in the chicken batter (wet mix - kept ice cold) and immediately deep fried.
Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 915
RE: Onion Rings 2006/04/23 12:43:40 (permalink)
I think that the Maui onions are every bit as sweet as Vidalias and Walla Wallas. Having said that, my favorite rings are from the Beacon in Spartanburg, SC. What a fun place! The entire perimeter of the drive-in is surrounded by huge bags of onions. Kind of like a sand bag effect. You better know what you want or you get yelled at!
MandalayVA
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 367
RE: Onion Rings 2006/04/23 15:40:47 (permalink)
No big secret to Outback's Blooming Onion sauce--ketchup, mayo, horseradish and a little cayenne.

There's a place near me called the Brick House Diner which makes excellent batter-dipped onion rings. Unfortunately the rest of the menu is mediocre at best, but the onion rings are outstanding.
xannie_01
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: Onion Rings 2006/04/23 15:54:13 (permalink)
best onion rings are from sonny bryans in Dallas. their secret is to remove the membrane from the onions..keeps the batter from falling off.
signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: Onion Rings 2006/04/23 22:10:10 (permalink)
Sonny Bryan's does have absolutely first class O rings.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5046
RE: Onion Rings 2006/04/23 23:32:50 (permalink)
You took the words right out of my 'puter!
SONNY BRYANS!!!!!!!!! Original Inwood Road location ONLY!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5046
RE: Onion Rings 2006/04/23 23:36:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Tad

Please send your ideas!
Tad

Can I be invited over? Pleeze?
Jennifer_4
  • Total Posts : 1508
RE: Onion Rings 2006/04/24 03:14:05 (permalink)
The only onion item I've ever learned to like (even love) are Cattlemen's (the chain in california, not related to oklahoma's) Tumbleweed Onions.. some sort of sweet onions are cut in strings, dusted with some secret spice and flour mixture and flash fried.. they come either as an appetizer or a side with certain steaks.. we usually have to order two orders they go so fast... but generally, onions make me gag..
sk bob
  • Total Posts : 1801
RE: Onion Rings 2006/05/21 15:34:18 (permalink)
Uncle Sam's in Farmington,Ct. (used to be Big 6), makes the thin rings. Some are crisp,some are greasy, but all are good.
Tad
Junior Burger
RE: Onion Rings 2006/05/21 19:12:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by twinwillow

Can I be invited over? Pleeze?

Sure. come on over. What else do you want with your rings?
robicheaux
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 99
RE: Onion Rings 2006/05/21 19:42:38 (permalink)
sonnys is great
dreamzpainter
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: Onion Rings 2006/05/22 10:47:05 (permalink)
While waiting for mom, the mrs, 2 daughters and a neice to finish shopping at my daughters store (5 women with a discount card, you guys see where that leads?) Dad and I went to Smokey Bones- it's in the same parking lot-- while I wasn't impressed by the pulled pork sandwich I was pleasently surprised by the onion rings, a crunchy batter with a nice spice and the onions still firm
Tad
Junior Burger
RE: Onion Rings 2006/05/22 11:04:45 (permalink)
There is a "Smoky Bones" nearby. If it has a bar I will sit there and have a brew and try their rings!
Tad
Junior Burger
RE: Onion Rings 2006/05/22 11:07:29 (permalink)
But I still have to say that nobody can beat "homemade" rings!
chazmatz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Onion Rings 2006/05/30 12:07:41 (permalink)
Ahh, onion rings. I was so happy to have found this post. I agree about Popeye's OR's. They are flaky, slightly greasy, light and flavorful, with a bit of a buttery taste.

I've been lamenting the demise of the good ol' rings at many of the places I go with the kids.
For instance, TGIFriday's, while a great place to go for some kid camoflauge, had, until recently, some really great onion rings. Super light, it seemed they were flash-fried, they were so non-greasy. And ultra crispy, with a serious onion flavor. They almost melted in my mouth. A few months ago, they took them off the menu, but I could still get them if I asked for them. Then, the last time I was there, two weeks ago, they stopped carrying them altogether. I was dismayed. First, they take away the best burger (the peppercorn burger) a few years ago, now the onion rings are gone. Alas, I will never frequent TGIFriday's anymore. Because it's not worth the humiliation of being seen there without the rings.

I'm not the biggest fan of Red Robin's rings (they're a bit on the hard side for me). If you want rings in that style, check Jack Stack's in Kansas City. Big rings, so flavorful and spicy (but you have to get them hot and fresh). Also, they're BBQ is seriously rockin'.

I'm also wondering where the whole Strings vs Rings thing is coming from. It seems that there's a nationwide switcheroo going on. I'm not a big fan of the strings. they're good on burgers, but not by themselves. What guy wants to grab a handful of strings and pop them into his mouth? I want a big ring, big enough to be a bracelet, to chomp down on, man-style, while swilling a nice cold beer. that, my friend, is what onion rings are about. Not dainty little wispy-strings-of-jheri-curl leftovers.

Anyone know of any good places to get rings in Boston? Lemme know.
salsailsa
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 405
RE: Onion Rings 2006/05/31 22:01:12 (permalink)
Sadly, no place around here makes their own onion rings. I think A&W probably has the best available.

In Winnipeg, Rae & Jerry's Steakhouse makes the best, hands down! It's a Winnipeg institution. Best steaks and Prime Rib. Darn good ribs too. The interior is like a time warp to 1960!

http://www.raeandjerrys.com/menu-bar.php
Tad
Junior Burger
RE: Onion Rings 2006/06/06 22:13:49 (permalink)
chazmatz,
I understand you completely! Fridays is a "used to be" good ring venue but no more, and yes they were exceptionally light, mildly crunchy and not greasy at all. "To die for" onion rings. That was a long while back when I lived in Columbus, Ohio.

Then, the people that owned Fridays opened a new restaurant near me called "Dalts". Sort of a cross between a bar, restaurant and ice cream parlor. I have no clue why they did that, but they served a "kickin" Cobb salad which I always ordered with their rings, ya those Fridays rings. Those rings eventually became "straws" but were still pretty damn good along with a Cobb salad because the onion, batter, oil and technique was still the same. I would love to know their original ring recipe! Every aspect of it.
Thanks for reminding me!

CETURTL
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 77
RE: Onion Rings 2006/06/08 23:12:12 (permalink)
my favorite onion rings are sliced very thin 1/8 inch and coated with flour with salt and pepper mixed in. They are usually served in big jumbled pile. Sometimes they just fill the fry basket and serve them as a loaf, usually with a horseradish sauce. They are often called onion strings. My favorites were called "Tidal Wave of Onoins" at the "Lands End" restaurant on Hilton Head. Tey would fill a steak platter piled 6 inches high.
sham tha hot dog man
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Onion Rings 2006/07/02 16:06:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by emsmom

Damons Ribs at Barefoot Landing in Myrtle Beach, SC serves whtat they call an onion loaf. It is sort of like the blooming onion, but all of the onion rings are shaped into a loaf shape and fried. You just start pulling or cutting off a section. They are served with a really good dipping sauce.
sham tha hot dog man
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Onion Rings 2006/07/02 16:09:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by sham tha hot dog man

quote:
Originally posted by emsmom

Damons Ribs at Barefoot Landing in Myrtle Beach, SC serves whtat they call an onion loaf. It is sort of like the blooming onion, but all of the onion rings are shaped into a loaf shape and fried. You just start pulling or cutting off a section. They are served with a really good dipping sauce.

i worked at damons ribs at the underground in ATL and at the tampa location and one thing i hated was slicing and popping all those damn onion rings for us to make those loafs ... hahahaha. my eyes were soooooo sore after a morning of prepping those damn things . but yes the final product is excellent ...
captain_keevin
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 28
RE: Onion Rings 2006/08/09 13:01:51 (permalink)
My favorite onion rings are the thinly sliced ones that seem to come to you served as a loaf. They don't have the greasy batter, and they go down easily, and after a couple of hours, they seem to sit lightly. I like the ones served at the Shyler's Barbeque Restaurant in Evansville, Indiana. They call them onion straws. They are similar to the onion loaf, served at the Airport Inn in Westport, Illinois. That's just my preference.
RVlifestyle
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Onion Rings 2006/11/07 17:24:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by captain_keevin

They are similar to the onion loaf, served at the Airport Inn in Westport, Illinois. That's just my preference.

Westport's are great! The absolute best straws used to be at a place in Wheatland called "The Hayloft." Long gone...but all onion straws still get compared to it. :)
wackysally
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Onion Rings 2006/12/18 23:08:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wallhd

Last year I purchased an 11 oz/ jar of "Onion Bloom Horseradish Dip" at a store in the Armory Square section of Syracuse. For the life of me I can't remember the name of the store, but it was chock full of all kinds of hot sauces and related pridcuts.

Anyhow, the dip itself is/was made by Robert Rothschild Berry Farm in Urbana, OH. Web site URL is www.RobertRothschild.com. The di[p is pretty darn good/

I've been looking for this sauce - but it's actually called "onion blossom horseradish sauce." The link was correct,thanks for your help!
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1