Only Two Days to Go and NO ONE started the Annual Turkey Day Menu Thread

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2976
Re:Only Two Days to Go and NO ONE started the Annual Turkey Day Menu Thread 2012/11/22 14:59:12 (permalink)
CajunKing

Hello fellow Rfers,

I have missed you all, things here have been......

This year I am not hosting my big family event (after the last time and enough food for 30 and only 4 showed up) My mom has moved to a Nursing Home in Ft Wayne and is closer to my sister there, I cant stand some of the cousins so I am not having the big feast this year.

Instead i am going to a friends house, he is hosting the event, this is the first major Holiday since they lost their son on July 4th.  It is a pot luck event but we have the "menu" down to:

Roast Turkey
Deep Fried Turkey
Smoked Turkey
Baked Ham
Mashed Potatoes
Gravy
Sausage Dressing
Oyster Dressing
Stove Top Stuffing
Baked Sweet Potatoes with marshmellow cream (YUCK)
cheesy corn casserole
spinach bake (mine)
green bean casserole
corn (from their son's garden) :-(
Cranberry sauce - canned
Cranberry Relish (mine)
Rolls
Devilled Eggs
Pasta Salad
gravy - giblet
gravy - white
gravy - brown

Desserts

Pumpkin Pie
Cherry Pie (mine)
Lemon Chess Pie (mine)
Chocolate Chess Pie (mine)
Hoosier Sugar Cream Pie (mine)
NY style cheesecake with chocolate Ganache and Red Raspberry Coulee (mine)
Fudge
Cookies
Ice Cream
Mincemeat pie
Pecan Pie
Key Lime Pie (mine)
Lemon squares
Mississippi Mud Dessert
Strawberry Margarita Pie (mine)

I only hope there is enough desserts :-)

I could get accustomed to this menu...wish I was joining you!  Great to see you back on Roadfood!
BelleReve
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1172
Re:Only Two Days to Go and NO ONE started the Annual Turkey Day Menu Thread 2012/11/22 17:14:58 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken - just long-grain white rice.  The turkey drippings make such nice gravy we always had rice and gravy, maybe it's a regional thing - and a must, LeSueur petite pois green peas.  It's a family quirk, the peas are spooned on top of the rice and gravy - not on the side. 
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3538
Re:Only Two Days to Go and NO ONE started the Annual Turkey Day Menu Thread 2012/11/22 19:46:20 (permalink)
FriedClamFanatic

felix4067

I'm cooking for just the two of us this year, although you can't tell by the menu. Roast leg of lamb, roasted cauliflower, green bean casserole, sweet & sour red cabbage, my grandma's special tossed salad, Grands Southern buttermilk biscuits (I am biscuit inept), and pumpkin pie with real whipped cream. It really is a smaller version of my normal dinner...there are no mashed potatoes, no gravy, no stuffing, no relish tray, no baked sweet potatoes, no bread, and only one kind of pie. We also decided against wine this year since she really shouldn't have any and I'm still taking narcotics.

Very smart, IMHO............These PPl who make this day into what looks like a Chinese Buffet run by Miles Standish are off base IMHO.  The day is about good family/friendship and SOME good food.  Yes..nice to have some leftovers for Sandwiches, but some of these menus..........4 different meats......12+ sides.....5+ desserts.................That is a meal for 50 or more IMHO  

Oh, I dunno...it's still an ungodly amount of food! The pie, by the way, turned out the be pecan rather than pumpkin. It's been in the freezer since Christmas, I forgot what I had. Which means I actually win, because my mother makes a KILLER pecan pie! Which I forgot to put on the table for the picture, but whatever.

FriedClamFanatic
  • Total Posts : 1721
Re:Only Two Days to Go and NO ONE started the Annual Turkey Day Menu Thread 2012/11/22 22:03:47 (permalink)
kland01s

First Thanksgiving with just the 2 of us in about 25 years when we got snowed in one year, the rest of my family is coming Saturday. No turkey, my partner is vegetarian and I'm not that crazy about turkey so we are going back to the original harvest feast and serve what the Native Americans ate..... lobster! Serving it with Minnesota wild rice and champagne.  

Sounds wonderful..........but I'm not sure even those early settlers and natives ate the dreaded bugs.  In the 1800's, prisoners in the Maine Jails revolted after being served Lobster over and over......seemed noone else wanted it.  Now, we know from all the Wampum... that a tasty Clam or two might have been enjoyed
kland01s
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2835
Re:Only Two Days to Go and NO ONE started the Annual Turkey Day Menu Thread 2012/11/23 09:18:23 (permalink)
FriedClamFanatic

kland01s

First Thanksgiving with just the 2 of us in about 25 years when we got snowed in one year, the rest of my family is coming Saturday. No turkey, my partner is vegetarian and I'm not that crazy about turkey so we are going back to the original harvest feast and serve what the Native Americans ate..... lobster! Serving it with Minnesota wild rice and champagne.  

Sounds wonderful..........but I'm not sure even those early settlers and natives ate the dreaded bugs.  In the 1800's, prisoners in the Maine Jails revolted after being served Lobster over and over......seemed noone else wanted it.  Now, we know from all the Wampum... that a tasty Clam or two might have been enjoyed

They did eat lobster but mostly used them for fertilizer. I just can't imagine how abundant they were if they would wash ashore in piles!

http://www.history.com/ne...ste-of-lobster-history
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:Only Two Days to Go and NO ONE started the Annual Turkey Day Menu Thread 2012/11/23 13:41:41 (permalink)
Since I'm by myself, can't cook and live in a town without a single open restaurant on Thanksgiving Day, I had two choices - 1. Drive the the 25 miles east to Harrison OH and have a turkey dinner at the local Cracker Barrel.  2. Starve. Having to choose the lesser of two evils, I ended up in Harrison and had an adequate but unimpressive meal. I was amazed by the size of the crowd there; it took 15 minutes to find a parking space and then an hour's wait for a table. Lots of families there that looked like they would have at least one good cook in the bunch. I had no other options than to eat at a chain restaurant, but what was their excuse? BTW, welcome back, CajunKing; you were missed around here.
post edited by carolina bob - 2012/11/23 14:45:13
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5137
Re:Only Two Days to Go and NO ONE started the Annual Turkey Day Menu Thread 2012/11/23 14:25:17 (permalink)
Not even one option for fried chicken, Bob?  I was sure that would be what you'd have!
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:Only Two Days to Go and NO ONE started the Annual Turkey Day Menu Thread 2012/11/23 14:43:51 (permalink)
Brad, I'm a traditionalist and that means only one kind of meat on T-Day for me and that's turkey. Even if I did want fried chicken or anything else, it wasn't going to happen anywhere close to Batesville. This whole town and the surrounding small communities like Oldenburg were locked up tight and it will be the same on Christmas Day. That day I'll be driving several miles west to the Petro truckstop on I-74 for a so-so meatloaf dinner or something like that. Certainly not what I want but beggars can't be choosers ( even Cracker Barrel isn't an option on Christmas Day. )
kland01s
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2835
Re:Only Two Days to Go and NO ONE started the Annual Turkey Day Menu Thread 2012/11/23 15:32:26 (permalink)
As my MIL became older and in a nursing home and then assisted living, we frequently had to travel at Thanksgiving and Christmas to spend some time with her but not have a place for us to eat. We tried not to arrive at her meals because it was disruptive. The best places for us were truck stops on the way there and once we were there, there was a Chinese buffet that was always open on the holidays. It sucks when you are a single or away from your home.
Cosmos
  • Total Posts : 1449
Re:Only Two Days to Go and NO ONE started the Annual Turkey Day Menu Thread 2012/11/25 23:04:51 (permalink)
Late but not sorry. We had four at the table, wife daughter mother-in-law and me. We roasted up a 12# bird, rubbed with a mix of toasted corriander, black pepper, cinnamon and cumin from a Bon Appetit recipe  circa 2006, rendered the accompanying cognac gravey with it. Sides included a cornbread sausage pecan dressing (from 2012 Bon Appetit, I made the Dinosaur BBQ cookbook cornbread and the sausage came from Liehs and Steigerwalds, a local German meat shop).

Spuds were  mashed with Borsin and half and half and an unthinkable amount of butter and we did green beans with a bacon vinaigrette and walnuts. I made a spiced zinfandel cranberry sauce that sat, forgotten, in the fridge until the pumpkin pie came  out (I put some on my pie and damn it was good).

It was a fun day's cooking and the results were pretty good. The bird has been picked and four quarts of stock made..some of which has been used to make mushroom turkey risotto. This was a great cooking holiday.
SeamusD
  • Total Posts : 1023
Re:Only Two Days to Go and NO ONE started the Annual Turkey Day Menu Thread 2012/11/26 13:28:11 (permalink)
Turns out part of my family isn't speaking to another part of my family right now, so our dinner was cut in half and barely anyone showed up. Turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, baked onions in cheese sauce, squash, green bean casserole, and a few pies I left too quickly to have any of. Oh well, take the bad with the good I guess.
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8061
Re:Only Two Days to Go and NO ONE started the Annual Turkey Day Menu Thread 2012/11/26 14:14:52 (permalink)

Besides the ham we had the requisite turkey, yams with marshmallows and green bean casserole.  I made a scalloped cauliflower, to add to the non-traditional corn pudding and beet salad.

Besides the requested cranberry tarts that I've probably made for the last 15 years, I added date nut squares and a pecan pie which I somehow forgot to photograph. 

I thought the date nut squares would be apropos for dessert in Palm Springs.
post edited by mar52 - 2012/11/26 14:16:08
love2bake
  • Total Posts : 1419
Re:Only Two Days to Go and NO ONE started the Annual Turkey Day Menu Thread 2012/11/26 16:38:29 (permalink)
Holy Mackerel, mar52!  That's gorgeous!!!
love2bake
Re:Only Two Days to Go and NO ONE started the Annual Turkey Day Menu Thread 2012/11/26 16:39:58 (permalink)
kland01s

As my MIL became older and in a nursing home and then assisted living, we frequently had to travel at Thanksgiving and Christmas to spend some time with her but not have a place for us to eat. We tried not to arrive at her meals because it was disruptive. The best places for us were truck stops on the way there and once we were there, there was a Chinese buffet that was always open on the holidays. It sucks when you are a single or away from your home.

It does suck, and is definitely different.  On the positive side, I didn't gain an ounce! :)
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6432
Re:Only Two Days to Go and NO ONE started the Annual Turkey Day Menu Thread 2012/11/26 22:12:25 (permalink)
Well let me tell you a Thanksgiving Tale that would rival "Alice's Restaurant".

I had the plan to bake everything the day before Turkey Day and then make the spinach bake that morning.  The plan worked perfectly.  The pies and cheesecake were beautiful the spinach bake smelled wonderful.

I needed to take out a bag of trash so I grabbed the cherry pie too and headed for the car and the garbage bin.  I stepped onto my front porch and then to the top of the steps when....

I accidentally stepped on the corner of the trash bag, which caused my foot to slip off the step and down VERY QUICKLY to the next step, compressing my left leg and ankle and knee and hip.  The forward momentum of my graceful slip caused me to launch horizontally off the porch and down the 5 feet onto the concrete sidewalk below.

Landing forehead first and then chest second knocking me OUT COLD!
my neighbor saw the whole thing, and dialed 9-1-1.  From that point I have NO IDEA what happened.  I woke up in the hospital with a air mask and in the ICU.
I spent all Turkey Day in LALA Land, and have NO recollection of the day.  I spent the next 3 days in the hospital I was moved from ICU on Friday, but was still showing signs of concussion and breathing problems. Spent the days trying to gather my strength and start to walk again on my VERY SORE left leg.

So here is the rest of the story (as told to me last night by my neighbor) I saw you slip off the porch and launch horizontally and heavily land on the sidewalk.  I called 9-1-1 when you didnt move upon landing.  I ran over and you were out cold, I shook your shoulder and you moaned and tried to turn over, I didnt want you too move, and told you the ambulance was on the way.  A cop showed up and then another and then another... Damn you sure know a lot of the officers around here.  The ambulance got here and they all knew you and pleaded with you NOT TO MOVE anymore.  They got you loaded up on the backboard and then into the ambulance.  Oh by the way do you want your pie dish back it landed about 60 feet from where you landed.  It is in about 6 pieces but you can probably glue it back to gether.  :-(

I called my friend who was the EMT on call that day he said you were in and out on the trip to the Hospital, but all at once you said hey somebody turn that damn siren off.

Glenda said I went to ER, they did a CT scan, MRI, XRays and many other tests.

I had a moderately severe concussion, fractured 5th rib (left side), bruised lungs, hyper extended left knee, sprained ankle, and SORE hip and a broken Polish pottery pie dish (family heirloom).  I missed Turkey day and the next 3 days all to gether, Glenda did tell me that the evening meal at the hospital was turkey breast gravy, mashed potatoes, and stuffing.

I have NO memory of Turkey day, but on the good side I have LOTS of desserts to eat.  my BIL said he missed us at his meal, but understood, and invited us to a bonfire on December 8th, which would have been Justin's 24th Birthday.

So Turkey 2012 will be a memorable one for everyone but me, I still cant remember a damn thing.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Only Two Days to Go and NO ONE started the Annual Turkey Day Menu Thread 2012/11/26 22:22:48 (permalink)
OMG Donald!  I'm glad that you're okay-ish.  What a tale!

You are very lucky.  I know someone who hit her head doing the same thing and ended up with a head injury.  She had to relearn speaking and walking.

Sorry you missed the beautiful meal that you prepared.

Kudos to your neighbor.
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Only Two Days to Go and NO ONE started the Annual Turkey Day Menu Thread 2012/11/26 22:37:56 (permalink)
Marlene -
Your spread looked VERY WONDERFUL can you post the date bar recipe, they look YUMMMMMMMMY

I am still foggy, and thinking hurts, and walking hurts, and breathing hurts, and I am light senstive right now so my head hurts too.  Other than that I am A OK!

mar52
Sirloin
Re:Only Two Days to Go and NO ONE started the Annual Turkey Day Menu Thread 2012/11/27 02:09:25 (permalink)
Sure 'nuff!

They are simple easy.  I was able to save the tedious chopping and pitting of the dates because I had a bag of Date Crystals (tiny chop) purchased at Shields Date Farm.

DATE NUT BAR COOKIES

3 eggs
1 c. sugar
1 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
4 tbsp. butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. chopped dates
1 c. chopped nuts

Beat the eggs until light, then gradually add the sugar and blend well. Add flour, baking powder and salt to the egg mixture; beating well. Beat in melted butter. Stir in vanilla. Fold in dates and nuts. Pour onto greased and floured 9x13 inch pan. Bake 25 minutes at 350 degrees. When cool, cut into bars. If desired, sift confectioners' sugar on top. Makes 3 1/2 dozen.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5137
Re:Only Two Days to Go and NO ONE started the Annual Turkey Day Menu Thread 2012/11/27 08:39:14 (permalink)
Glad to hear you're on the mend, CK...head injuries are nothing to take lightly!

Y'know, you could probably find a lawyer willing to sue the trash bag company for using a plastic that's too slippery...
edwmax
  • Total Posts : 2107
Re:Only Two Days to Go and NO ONE started the Annual Turkey Day Menu Thread 2012/11/27 09:02:30 (permalink)
CajunKing

Well let me tell you a Thanksgiving Tale that would rival "Alice's Restaurant".  .....

So Turkey 2012 will be a memorable one for everyone but me, I still cant remember a damn thing.

OH ... Geeee   ... Sounds like you had one heck of a day!   Too bad you couldn't enjoy it.   ...  Anyway, take it easy until you healed up and I'm glad it wasn't more serious.

I have some left over turkey, if you want ......
love2bake
Re:Only Two Days to Go and NO ONE started the Annual Turkey Day Menu Thread 2012/11/27 10:03:00 (permalink)
Cajun:  I loved your reference to Alice's Restaurant--I had that "song" memorized back in the day--but your accident was awful!!  Your injuries are scary and painful, but I suppose it could have been much worse for you...  Hope you feel better soon!!
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8468
Re:Only Two Days to Go and NO ONE started the Annual Turkey Day Menu Thread 2012/11/27 17:21:07 (permalink)
Oh, my friend CK-heal fast! I am heart broken at your story!Love you!
Annie
billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2434
Re:Only Two Days to Go and NO ONE started the Annual Turkey Day Menu Thread 2012/11/28 03:12:15 (permalink)
Mar, I'm coming to YOUR house next Thanksgiving!  What a great looking spread and that kitchen looks marvelous!  Love the backsplash.
CK, so sorry to hear of your accident but I'm glad you pulled through it and are on the mend.  Sending good wishes your way for a speedy recovery!
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Only Two Days to Go and NO ONE started the Annual Turkey Day Menu Thread 2012/12/14 23:28:58 (permalink)
Dutch Apple Pie

Lemon Chess Pie

Hoosier Sugar Cream Pie

Cherry Pie

I baked these for a get together this past weekend since the other ones never got eaten.  We then had a bon fire, and the pictures do no do it justice.  The fire stood over 12 feet tall at the beginning.

Two hours afterward and still it burns and burns and burns

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1