Opal Country Cafe: Spencer, ID

Author
Bigfoot
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 24
2009/08/11 08:58:09 (permalink)

Opal Country Cafe: Spencer, ID

We discovered this place by accident while spending the night in a campground in this tiny town off of I-90.  Spencer is the self-proclaimed "Opal Capital of America" and boasts two gift shops, a gas station and not much more.  One of the gift shops is combined with the Opal Country Cafe, where you can get an honest meal for a reasonable price.  We decided on a burger for lunch, although the chicken fried steak was calling to me.  It was cooked to order from freshly ground beef that I would estimate was 20-30% fat content, since the flavor was terrific.  No brie or caramelized onions or balsamic sauce or other foo-foo crap on this baby:  a hefty and juicy patty with American cheese and plenty of fresh tomato, onion and crisp lettuce on the side.  And of course, since it's Idaho, fries made from fresh Idaho spuds.  It may not make any national lists, but for my money it was the best burger I've had in years.

2 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18631
    Re:Opal Country Cafe: Spencer, ID 2009/08/11 09:21:25 (permalink)
    Sounds pretty darned good.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15303
    Re:Opal Country Cafe: Spencer, ID 2009/08/13 12:56:56 (permalink)
    Idaho is nicknamed the "Gem State" for more reasons than the pretty rocks one can find there. Thanks for including this RF stop for us!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1