Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Open Face Hot (you name the meat) Sandwich

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 70
jessicazee

• Total Posts: 132
Open Face Hot (you name the meat) Sandwich Thu, 05/8/03 6:08 PM (permalink)
One of my most often-chosen meals at unknown diners is the Open-Face Hot Turkey Sandwich. It usually means two slice soft white bread, cut on the diagonal, covered with roast turkey slices, mashed potatoes & gravy. Sometimes there is a cup of cranberry sauce on the side. I think of it as an anytime Thanksgiving meal, and have had several great ones over the years. I like it when it's a light, thick gravy, not the brown kind, and I always prefer real mashed taters, although I will eat the instant kind, too, if the gravy and turkey are up to snuff.

I have also seen meatloaf, veal cutlets, beef, pork and hamburger steaks all served this way. I don't think it's regional, but any thoughts? Fans?

Jennifer_4

• Total Posts: 1508
    RE: Open Face Hot (you name the meat) Sandwich Thu, 05/8/03 6:11 PM (permalink)
    I love the hot roast beef with gravy as well as the turkey.. we also used to open up a hamburger bun and ladle hot chili over the top..yum!
    Banquet Foods used to have a frozen product which was a boil in bag of either meatloaf, turkey or beef in gravy that we would dump over bread.. My strange hubby makes an open faced sandwich of cheese slices and drained Ramen noodles with a ton of garlic salt and pepper..eek.

Michael Stern

RE: Open Face Hot (you name the meat) Sandwich Thu, 05/8/03 7:06 PM (permalink)
      If Jane goes to heaven when she dies, the menu there will be hot turkey and mashed potatoes every day ... like this one at The Blue Colony Diner:

Myself, I'm more a hot meatloaf kinda guy.

CheeseWit

• Total Posts: 1393
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: Open Face Hot (you name the meat) Sandwich Thu, 05/8/03 8:38 PM (permalink)
        I'm with Jane on the open face turkey. It is available in almost every diner in PA and NJ. That pic has my mouth watering!

rumbelly

• Total Posts: 235
          RE: Open Face Hot (you name the meat) Sandwich Thu, 05/8/03 9:44 PM (permalink)
          I go for hot turkey when offered. Especially after holidays. If the gravy is good and housemade then all things on the plate can be swooped up with good trash bread.

pigface

• Total Posts: 406
            RE: Open Face Hot (you name the meat) Sandwich Thu, 05/8/03 10:28 PM (permalink)
            Then shouldn't we talk about Hot Brown's in this same forum
            Bedding of toast Points
            Carved Turkey
            Country Ham
            Mornay Sauce (http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/ubbs/archive/SAUCES/Cheese_Mornay_Sauce.html)
            Sliced Tomatoes
            Crispy Bacon .... Everything placed under the Broiler 'til molten
            Yea, I bought a Country Ham a few weeks ago ...
            "If Jane goes to heaven when she dies,"
            Ain't We all going there

pigface

• Total Posts: 406
              RE: Open Face Hot (you name the meat) Sandwich Thu, 05/8/03 11:53 PM (permalink)
              I Ordered on at Lynn's Paradise Cafe the Saturday before Easter ...
              Which I thought was a very fun restaurant.
              The Brown Hotel holds the right to the creation ...

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                RE: Open Face Hot (you name the meat) Sandwich Fri, 05/9/03 1:16 AM (permalink)
                Dearfolk,
                I side with the hot-brown-as-best-open-faced sandwich delegation. And to think that I've only enjoyed one... an admittedly inferior version at a diner on a back street of Louisville, when I was losteder than losted, trying to find my way back to Bowling Green.
                The waitress told me "Ours is okay, but you really need to gussy up and get you one at the Brown Hotel. That's where it originated. It'll set you back double this one, but it's probably double better." I ate in stunned silence, knowing that if this was the dregs, the real McCoy must surely be divine.
                There's a good brewpub in Louisville, too... Bluegrass Brewing... and I'll bet they serve up a mean version of it.
                Other than that, I once enjoyed a barbecue sandwich with red slaw, served open-faced, and plumb heaped with good Q... that was 20 or so years ago in (I'm going to say) Mocksville, North Carolina... about 20 miles west of Lexington, whence came the red slaw style.
                Sort Of Sandwiched Between (But Well-Bred), Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15059
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  RE: Open Face Hot (you name the meat) Sandwich Fri, 05/9/03 6:20 AM (permalink)
                  TheBrown Hotel on Broadway IS the creator and continues to have the Rep for the number 1 Hot Brown sandwich in the area. Lynn's is good, but not at the top of our list.

Sundancer7

RE: Open Face Hot (you name the meat) Sandwich Fri, 05/9/03 6:48 AM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

The Brown Hotel on Broadway IS the creator and continues to have the Rep for the number 1 Hot Brown sandwich in the area. Lynn's is good, but not at the top of our list.

Mr. Mayor, I was in Louisville several years ago and stayed in a huge hotel downtown that served hot brown sandwiches. It was really good and the hotel was sorta famous. I'll bet it was that hotel you are speaking of.

Paul E. Smith

stanpnepa

• Total Posts: 575
                      RE: Open Face Hot (you name the meat) Sandwich Fri, 05/9/03 7:29 AM (permalink)
                      Now we're talkin' comfort food!!! I'd go for Turkey about 2/3rd's of the time, then beef---and I have had some pretty good Roast Pork platters too here in PA. The only problem with Turkey is that many diners don't serve the real thing anymore. If it's not Roasted Turkey, then it is not worth it---and it's certainly not worth falling asleep for over an hour later!

Now, regarding those Banquet boil-in-a-bags...we loved 'em. My cousin and I would stay over my grandmother's house after my grandfather died (we were around 17 and 12). Gramma would pick up a LOAF of bread from the local bakery and we'd each have two or three bags of turkey, using the bread for mopping up the gravy and eating the whole loaf!!! This was usually around midnight. Boy could we put it away...and we were pretty thin!! Long live the teenage metabolism! Those were the days!

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                        RE: Open Face Hot (you name the meat) Sandwich Fri, 05/9/03 11:03 AM (permalink)
                        Stan,
                        I agree that way too many places have substituted the rolled (rubber) roasts for the real bird on their turkey menu. I like to watch them carve the bird rather than see the results of the buzz-saw slicers.
                        Paul- Two other good hotels in Louisville, The Seelbach and the Galt House have good reason to brag on their HOT BROWN'S (among other things).

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
                          RE: Open Face Hot (you name the meat) Sandwich Fri, 05/9/03 12:02 PM (permalink)
                          Ah, hot turkey sandwiches make visions of the F.W. Woolworth's lunch counter of my youth dance in my head.

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                            RE: Open Face Hot (you name the meat) Sandwich Fri, 05/9/03 12:36 PM (permalink)
                            Hot turkey is pretty good unless its that pressed deli kind that I have had at times, the real stuff, right after Thanksgiving is the best. Of all the open faced, I prefer hot breaded pork tenderloin with a brown gravy. Whenever I travel and stop in a diner, thats my lunch preference.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                              RE: Open Face Hot (you name the meat) Sandwich Fri, 05/9/03 12:46 PM (permalink)
                              Be it Chicken Fried Steak--Pork Tenderloin--Or Chicken/turkey breast (breaded and fried), Give me the gravy on the side in a cup and let me play "Dip It" rather than bury everything on the plate under the gravy. On Mashed Potato's ok, but otherwise I want to play with it !!

rumbelly

• Total Posts: 235
                                RE: Open Face Hot (you name the meat) Sandwich Fri, 05/9/03 1:39 PM (permalink)
                                Could I safely postulate the theory that turkey is better when used in leftover dishes with the exception of the skin which is not?

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                                  RE: Open Face Hot (you name the meat) Sandwich Fri, 05/9/03 1:56 PM (permalink)
                                  do we need a gravy forum? it's another essential roadfood liquid, along with
                                  soup and beer, and blenheim ginger ale. I've only read about the last one.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17810
                                    RE: Open Face Hot (you name the meat) Sandwich Fri, 05/9/03 2:45 PM (permalink)
                                    While I love open-faced hot roast beef sandwiches and open-faced turkey sandwiches, It's open-faced meat loaf sandwiches that I have at home. At least, I used to. I usually make a two-pound meatloaf, and that always meant plenty of leftovers, but my 15 year old grandson doesn't let any meatloaf get away from him alive.

Now, I do love the Hot Brown served at the Brown Hotel in Louisville. The Executive Inn near the fairgrounds in Louisville also serves a good Hot Brown.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17810
                                      RE: Open Face Hot (you name the meat) Sandwich Fri, 05/9/03 2:47 PM (permalink)
                                      Oh, my. I made Hamburger. I'm so proud.

Jennifer_4

• Total Posts: 1508
                                        RE: Open Face Hot (you name the meat) Sandwich Fri, 05/9/03 3:25 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Oh, my. I made Hamburger. I'm so proud.

Congrats MH!

gimmepork

• Total Posts: 17
                                          RE: Open Face Hot (you name the meat) Sandwich Mon, 05/12/03 6:40 PM (permalink)
                                          Michael (Stern),
                                          "IF" Jane goes to heaven when she dies? C'mon, let's be a little more optimistic!

dbear

• Total Posts: 131
                                            RE: Open Face Hot (you name the meat) Sandwich Mon, 05/12/03 7:10 PM (permalink)
                                            Bill Voss,

First time I've seen Blenheim ginger ale mentioned here. My brother in law is from South Carolina, which is where Blenheim originated. I have always been a big fan of ginger ale, so he gave me a case of the super 'hot' variety for Xmas a few years ago. It is really great, and so strong that it can be diluted, used for cooking, etc. They will ship a case to you anywhere in the US, and its not that expensive. The address is below:

Blenheim Bottlers
                                            P. 0. Box 452
                                            Hamer, SC 29547
                                            1-800-270-9344
                                            (843) 774-0322

Enjoy!

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                                              RE: Open Face Hot (you name the meat) Sandwich Mon, 05/12/03 8:08 PM (permalink)
                                              WOW D BEAR! THANKS,
                                              I have only read about the mystique of Blenheim's. Came upon it's mention in reading about
                                              various southern cafes and food spots. again, thanks for the tip. I've always been a ginger ale
                                              fan, but Vernor's is about as exotic as I've had.
                                              I still like the idea of a gravy forum too.

scbuzz

• Total Posts: 844
                                                RE: Open Face Hot (you name the meat) Sandwich Tue, 05/13/03 7:44 AM (permalink)
                                                My favorite open faced sandwich is hot tender roast beef, piled high on bread with mayo and then lots of gravy !

I'm from SC and can vouch for the quality and good taste of Blenheim's ginger ale ! But be very careful on that first sip if the hot type ! It will take your breath away !

stanpnepa

• Total Posts: 575
                                                  • Location: Wyoming (Scranton/Wi, PA
                                                  RE: Open Face Hot (you name the meat) Sandwich Tue, 05/13/03 11:07 AM (permalink)
                                                  I had my first Blenheim at South of the Border this past summer. Man, it was hot! And I didn't even order the Super Hot!

Liketoeat

• Total Posts: 552
                                                    RE: Open Face Hot (you name the meat) Sandwich Mon, 06/2/03 12:59 PM (permalink)
                                                    I agree that open face hot roast beef sandwiches with which I grew up (both at home and at cafes all over the south) and then the open face hot turkey sandwiches to which I later graduated were and are still wonderful (provided the turkey is from real roast turkey and not some roll or loaf), but several years ago when I began traveling through Kentucky and southern Indiana and discovered Hot Browns, I knew I had reached the pinnacle of the open face hot sandwich dining experience.

emsmom

• Total Posts: 955
                                                      RE: Open Face Hot (you name the meat) Sandwich Mon, 09/13/04 3:00 PM (permalink)
                                                      When I read this subject, my first thought was of the Woolworth hot turkey sandwiches. I always enjoyed anything that was served at Woolworths lunch counter, but the hot turkey was my favorite
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by RubyRose

Ah, hot turkey sandwiches make visions of the F.W. Woolworth's lunch counter of my youth dance in my head.

chezkatie

• Total Posts: 1329
                                                        • Location: Baltimore and Florida,
                                                        RE: Open Face Hot (you name the meat) Sandwich Mon, 09/13/04 3:13 PM (permalink)
                                                        This is my very favorite open faced sandwich and the below is taken from the menu of my favorite place to get it.

Reuben
                                                        Corned beef stacked high and topped with sauerkraut, swiss cheese & thousand island on rye. Served open faced.
                                                        $6.25

Rhodes

• Total Posts: 281
                                                          • Location: Dickerson, MD
                                                          RE: Open Face Hot (you name the meat) Sandwich Mon, 09/13/04 3:20 PM (permalink)
                                                          I'm with you on the Reubens Chez!

jeepguy

• Total Posts: 1555
                                                            • Location: chicago, IL
                                                            RE: Open Face Hot (you name the meat) Sandwich Mon, 09/13/04 6:21 PM (permalink)
                                                            I like Pepperidge Farm original bread with Velveeta and bacon. Under the broiler for a few minutes, and yes not healthy, but good!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 70

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com