Opening a commissary in SLC, UT questions for you food truck and food cart guys.

Author
JustinM
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2014/02/10 03:31:30 (permalink)

Opening a commissary in SLC, UT questions for you food truck and food cart guys.

I am opening a commissary for rent in Salt Lake City and want to get some ideas about what you want in a commissary. We plan to have burners, ovens, a grill, 2-3 three basin sinks, a bunch of prep tables, one large or multiple small ice machines and a flat top. We will have space to rent for people to bring their own refrigerators, dry storage, indoor storage for food carts and outdoor parking for food trucks. Is there any glaring thing that I'm missing that I'll need to service the needs of my customers?

6 Replies Related Threads

MobileCuisine
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 63
    Re:Opening a commissary in SLC, UT questions for you food truck and food cart guys. 2014/02/11 12:43:04 (permalink)
    You should try to provide someplace for oil and water tanks to be drained. Also, if you can partner with a propane company to provide tanks for rent/purchase, your renters will love you.

Also consider someplace on the property to wash large vehicles. This could be another revenue source/service to offer your renters...especially the truck owners.
    chefbuba
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2022
    Re:Opening a commissary in SLC, UT questions for you food truck and food cart guys. 2014/02/11 20:31:04 (permalink)
    If you are going to have trucks/carts you will need to have a dump site for grey water that is easily accessible for the trucks to pull up and drain their tanks. Also will need water to fill up with.
    In your truck parking area, you will need plenty of power, 20, 30 & 50 amp options.
    For truck cleaning, the HD will most likely require you to install a catch basin of sorts for the greasy runoff allowing it to go to a grease trap before it enters the public sewer system. It won't be cheap to do it right.
    As far as inside, I would also have a char broiler on the hot line, maybe a tilt skillet in the future. Oven space, don't overlook or skimp on that, including convection. A slicer, robot coupe, mid size hobart with all the attachments, big stick blender, vitamix, cutting boards.
    You also overlooked a prep sink for washing produce. HD won't allow you to wash it in the dish sink.
    Are you not going to have refrigeration? Having people bring in their own fridges? Don't sound right to me. What if I want to use your place for two hrs a week and only need to keep in production food cold while I'm using the space? I'm not going to spend money on a fridge to put in your kitchen, I'll go to the competition.
    Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 225
    Re:Opening a commissary in SLC, UT questions for you food truck and food cart guys. 2014/02/12 00:05:47 (permalink)
    I'd want a walk in deep freeze. I'd agree about the fridges as well. Unless your health department allows you to use residential fridges (which most don't) the cost would be too much of an investment for most people.
    If you're going to have parking for food trucks, having those spots equipped with RV electrical hookups would be good (two 120volt plugs, one 240volt plug (ideally 50amp, but 30amp might work, depending on the food trucks) for each of the food truck parking spots. Single phase should be fine.
    A large, floor model mixer.
    post edited by Midnights - 2014/02/12 00:08:19
    Alohasurfshack
    Junior Burger
    Re:Opening a commissary in SLC, UT questions for you food truck and food cart guys. 2014/05/09 20:57:06 (permalink)
    I am looking for an alternative to the commissary situation I have. All I need is a 3 comp. sink and a place to dump gray water and fill potable water. Let me know where you are and what you charge.

Thank you

doughnuter
    Junior Burger
    Re:Opening a commissary in SLC, UT questions for you food truck and food cart guys. 2014/09/17 16:41:01 (permalink)
    Hi!
    Just wondering if you ever ended up opening the commissary. I am opening a new food truck in SLC and am looking for a place. 
    Thanks!
    chefboy48
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 24
    Re:Opening a commissary in SLC, UT questions for you food truck and food cart guys. 2014/10/21 20:31:17 (permalink)
    JustinM, if you opened your kitchen you should post it on cookithere dot com. That's where I found my commissary kitchen. I was using an old bakery but they are way to expensive for my new food truck.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1