Opening night tonight! Any advice?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
mdr411
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 25
Re:Opening night tonight! Any advice? 2012/10/11 09:22:27 (permalink)
Thanks for all the tips, there are some great ideas I have to consider. 

Last Thursday we sold dogs with condiments for $2.50.  I felt that was a little steep considering the college crowd but we ended up selling a total of $175 in a little over 3 hours on a slow night due to the holiday weekend.  That was pretty much all hot dogs priced at 2.50, I think I sold two or three meals all night and only one water.  I had the water priced at 2.00 which was probably high.  So I've lowered water to 1.00 and I'll make .90 cents off each one sold so that works for me. 
Tonight I plan to reduce the price of dogs to 2.00 to see how that affects sales.  I will keep the Kayem dogs and I'm not planning to buy a cheaper one at this point, I want to wait to see how tonight works out.   Everyone keeps telling me to put the price at 1.99, but will that make a difference in the mind of the customer?  I also made some larger signs out of dry erase boards and I printed out a "We accept credit and debit cards" sign.  I'm hoping all of these minor but important changes make a difference. 

One other point that I'm interested in tonight is my cashier/assistant.  Last week it was my gorgeous gf, this week it will be my buddy.  I'm wondering if it will affect sales at all, it sounds silly but who knows lol 
CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
Re:Opening night tonight! Any advice? 2012/10/11 09:46:16 (permalink)
My gf tells me that having a gorgeous gf is a pain in the ass at times I agree.

It might reduce slow traffic and some sales...but I am sure you will have more peace of mind and can focus on what's working in terms of business.
Ice Cream Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1370
Re:Opening night tonight! Any advice? 2012/11/01 10:54:24 (permalink)
I would hold off on dropping the price. Seeing that you just started give it a little time. Based on what you said if you drop the price to 2.00 you will have to sell 17 more dogs to bring in the same amount of money. Of course you will make less because you will have to supply 17 more dogs.
RJT
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 400
Re:Opening night tonight! Any advice? 2012/11/01 13:29:38 (permalink)
Ice Cream Man

I would hold off on dropping the price. Seeing that you just started give it a little time. Based on what you said if you drop the price to 2.00 you will have to sell 17 more dogs to bring in the same amount of money. Of course you will make less because you will have to supply 17 more dogs.

I agree hold off dropping the price. Everyone that is not in business for themselves always says "If you lower the price you will sell more" Yep, I just might do that but one thing is for sure I will also work harder for the same amount of money I earn. $2.50 for a dog fixed anyway they want is fair as long as you are serving top quality.

Stick with your current business model for a bit before you start making to many changes. If you were at $3.50 for a dog then I might think you are a bit steep but the price is fair.

BTW, I charge $2.75 or two for $5 for mine plus do some combo specials like hot dog, chip and drink for $4 or two hot dogs , chips, drink for $6.
Good luck and keep us posted!!
mdr411
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 25
Re:Opening night tonight! Any advice? 2012/11/01 15:06:02 (permalink)
Thanks for all the comments...I did drop the price to 2.00 and I sold about the same so I decided it doesn't make a difference and moved it back up.  The crowd is drunk college kids and I don't think they realize the price difference at all.  No matter what the price is there is always that guy who acts like it's way over priced.  Whatever. 

Tonight will be my first night working the cart alone.  I know that I'll have to slow things down.  I'll have to figure out how to take the money then get the dogs wrapped up without touching it.  There's only one way to elarn though, gotta jump right in.  I'll let you know how it goes. 

THe increased signage helped and even though I moved the price of water and soda down they're still not buying.  Wrong crowd.  They only want the food.  I will still offer the soda and water, I just don't pack as much now. 

Overall, everything is going well.  I've had a few crazies threaten me or try to start fights.  It's just what drunk college kids do.  Last week there were 3 huge brawls, complete with 10 police cars, fights in the middle of the street, bouncers chasing drunks out of bars, kids passed out on the sidewalks drunk, it is NUTS!!!  But I just continue to sell dogs.  Two weeks ago as the cops were throwing the cuffs on some people who were fighting a random guy comes running over to my cart yelling Lets kick the hot dog guys ass!  I say to him what is your problem?  He starts yelling about how I tear gassed him last week and this and that, government agent blah blah blah I called a cop over, he fought them and was arrested.  Interesting stuff and not for the faint of heart, it's a tough crowd!  During the day I work in law enforcement so I have a couple tricks (legal) up my sleeve in case the **** hits the fan.  I decided that I don't want my gf there with me anymore, though.  not with that crowd.  If anything happened to her I would flip.  But it's fun, we'll see how tonight goes!
Ice Cream Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1370
Re:Opening night tonight! Any advice? 2012/11/02 00:39:32 (permalink)
So if you dropped the price to 2.00  and did the same business then raised it back to 2.50 and nobody noticed the next step is to raise it to 3.00 and see if the drunk kids mind. If they do or business falls off drop the price to 2.75.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1