Hot!Opinions on Boars Head meats

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
ces1948
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1510
2009/08/30 18:33:24 (permalink)

Opinions on Boars Head meats

Nearly all of the sub shops in my area make a big deal out of the fact they use Boars Head meats. For the life of me I can't tell the difference. Our local Publix supermarket sells Boars Head brand in the deli for about $2 more a pound then the store brand. I also tried the Boars Head brand of bacon and hot dogs and I would rate them pretty tasteless. Maybe I'm missing something but I just don't get it.

31 Replies Related Threads

Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2980
    Re:Opinions on Boars Head meats 2009/08/30 18:51:59 (permalink)
    I think their cold cuts are superb. I've never tried the bacon, nor the hot dogs. But the ham, capicola, turkey, salamis, etc, are the best. Better than Dietz & Watson.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3723
    Re:Opinions on Boars Head meats 2009/08/30 19:05:05 (permalink)
    I have to agree that their cold meats are terrific..........far superior  and worth the money.
    paceflchick
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 198
    Re:Opinions on Boars Head meats 2009/08/30 21:00:03 (permalink)
    I am planning on serving BoarsHead due to the regionally factor, And it is a reputable supplier down here,,and it is what people like,I find it is good, but I even like bolgna with red string, I grew up eating headcheese on saltines with my dad..not so picky here...I know headcheese...gelatine,,hot headcheese was awesome..

Everything is 2$'s more at publix

Are they nationwide..I dont rememeber them in St.Louis
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2164
    Re:Opinions on Boars Head meats 2009/08/30 23:14:01 (permalink)
    When I was growing up, only about 1 in 5 deli's, supermarkets, sandwich shops, etc. sold Boars Head, though we were only a few miles from the original manufacturing complex on Rock Street in Brooklyn. There were a lot of small deli meat producers then, and many produced a pretty poor quality product. Somewhere around the 80's, Boar's Head, which always made a better product, muscled their way into just about all the sandwich shops. That is when we first saw those signs advertising they were using Boars Head products. Around 1990, a lot of those NYC-area deli mystery meat producers went out of business. Over time, the makers of crap were driven out of places when the consumer could see the brand being used. The survivors were Boar's Head, Thumann's, Kohler, Dietz and Watson,  and to a lesser extent, Hansel & Gretel. They raised the bar for the industry in general. So, the sub shops making a big deal out of carrying Boars Head is no longer necessary.

There still are some brands of rotgut cold cuts out there, but they tend to get sold in stores in the ghetto, or are low bidders to schools and hospitals.

I remember buying deli department cold cuts at Giant (of Landover) Food Markets in the Washington, DC area around 1984. They were terrible, compared to some of the Boars Head cold cuts I brought down from NYC in my ice chest.  Can't remember the names they sold anymore, however. Today, they sell Boars Head along with a few other brands.

A lot of stuff Board Head routemen deliver is not made by Boars Head, like the bacon and pepperoni. But it allows them to be a full line supplier. Boar's Head makes their own hot dogs and are a quality product, but many just don't like their spice profile.
    namret
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 105
    Re:Opinions on Boars Head meats 2009/08/31 05:55:12 (permalink)
    BH hot dogs with the skins are great!  Their cold cuts can vary in spices and sometimes are too spicy or under spiced. 
    cavandre
    • Total Posts : 1622
    Re:Opinions on Boars Head meats 2009/08/31 07:52:43 (permalink)
    While I enjoy most of Boar's Head's products, I have to admit that their bacon was a big disappointment...very little flavor!
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:Opinions on Boars Head meats 2009/08/31 08:57:50 (permalink)
    The bianco d'oro dry salami (in the white paper wrapper) . . that stuff is pure awesomeness.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18360
    Re:Opinions on Boars Head meats 2009/08/31 09:21:32 (permalink)
    I really like Boar's Head's cajun-style turkey. Most of the other Boar's Head meats I've tried are fine, with the exception of their "Italian" meats. Those I find to be poor imitations. Now, I've never bothered with their corned beef or pastrami. Why would I when I can get good stuff in a Kosher market here?
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3140
    Re:Opinions on Boars Head meats 2009/08/31 09:29:10 (permalink)
    I have never really noticed much difference in the quality of their meats vs all the others.  At one time I was real big into cold cuts but over the years I have weaned myself away somewhat due to problems with sodium intake and high blood pressure and cholesterol.
    TnTinCT
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 476
    Re:Opinions on Boars Head meats 2009/08/31 10:05:12 (permalink)
    The turkey and chicken products are definitely a cut above others. I enjoy the peppercorn turkey, and the pastrami cured turkey - I can't stand "pieces/parts" of birds mashed together to form a turkey or chicken product, and these are actual meat.  I go out of my way to get boar's head vs other products.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Opinions on Boars Head meats 2009/08/31 10:52:12 (permalink)
    I always choose the Boar's Head cold cuts at the Publix which we frequent.  I also like their hot dogs.  When dining at home, I am on an almost perpetual weight-reduction diet.  The Boar's Head "Lite" hot dogs are the only lower-calorie hot dogs I have found that I like.
    ces1948
    Re:Opinions on Boars Head meats 2009/08/31 11:10:51 (permalink)
    MiamiDon

I always choose the Boar's Head cold cuts at the Publix which we frequent.  I also like their hot dogs.  When dining at home, I am on an almost perpetual weight-reduction diet.  The Boar's Head "Lite" hot dogs are the only lower-calorie hot dogs I have found that I like.

Isn't that funny and goes to show how peoples tastes differ. I too chose the BH lite hot dogs because of calories, fat content and found them terribly bland. I actually prefer the Ball park lower fat angus beef franks over any other "lite" hot dog.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3140
    Re:Opinions on Boars Head meats 2009/08/31 11:22:11 (permalink)
    I usually eat with two or three other folks weekly - who come from different worlds than I do, food-wise.  We call ourselves the lunchbunch.

It is very interesting to observe how we differ on what we think of what we are eating.

Ofttimes we are way apart in what we think of the food but every so often we agree.

And it has nothing to do with the type of food we are eating - usually we have very differing opinions.

I think the differences arise as much as from what we grew up eating as to where we grew up.
    post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2009/08/31 11:23:16
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    Re:Opinions on Boars Head meats 2009/08/31 12:23:58 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman
    Now, I've never bothered with their corned beef or pastrami. Why would I when I can get good stuff in a Kosher market here? 

Don't bother with them! They are not very good at all.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18360
    Re:Opinions on Boars Head meats 2009/08/31 12:29:49 (permalink)
    Tony Bad

Michael Hoffman
    Now, I've never bothered with their corned beef or pastrami. Why would I when I can get good stuff in a Kosher market here? 

I'll take your word for it.

AaronM
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 196
    Re:Opinions on Boars Head meats 2009/08/31 13:01:42 (permalink)
    Boar’s Head roast beef has always been my favorite roast beef. Love it. Pricey, but worth it.

Has anyone tried their horseradish cheddar? Strong stuff.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Opinions on Boars Head meats 2009/08/31 14:16:11 (permalink)
    Tony Bad

Michael Hoffman

My Publix used to carry the Boar's Head pastrami made from the brisket.  Now they just carry the one made from the round, and it's not very flavorful.
    mjambro
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 434
    Re:Opinions on Boars Head meats 2009/08/31 20:14:48 (permalink)
    If you find them "tasteless", you are probably missing the fat & salt of cheaper cuts.  If you compare the nutrition of Boars head items vs. other brands (do an internet search) , you'll typically find they have significantly reduced fat & salt (often times 1/3 less) and significantly more protein (more meat / less, if any cereal fillers).  
    badbyron722
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 307
    Re:Opinions on Boars Head meats 2009/08/31 20:55:55 (permalink)
    In a word Overpriced. Or is that actually two words?
    ces1948
    Re:Opinions on Boars Head meats 2009/08/31 21:08:34 (permalink)
    $11 bucks a pound for BH roast beef in my Publix. Seems very high to me.
    mjambro
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 434
    Re:Opinions on Boars Head meats 2009/09/01 09:42:13 (permalink)
    It's a lot like buying a McChicken sandwich where its "chicken" patty has 50% of its calories via fat with 9 gm of protein vs. their grilled chicken that has 20% of its calories via fat with 24 grams of protein. 
    cavandre
    • Total Posts : 1622
    Re:Opinions on Boars Head meats 2009/09/01 10:18:16 (permalink)
    ces1948

Just curious...Is that in an area where Publix has no real competition?
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2164
    Re:Opinions on Boars Head meats 2009/09/01 10:33:17 (permalink)
    ces1948

I've noticed a number of chain supermarket deli departments have dramatically raised the price of the well known brands of deli meats in the last two years. In the week they are on deal, the less prestigious supermarket chains will sell about 20% below chains like Shaw's, Acme, Stop & Shop and A&P, who also have them on deal.
    post edited by David_NYC - 2009/09/01 10:34:59
    DawnT
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:Opinions on Boars Head meats 2009/09/01 12:25:42 (permalink)
    There's very little left to compare them to as a retail product. Winn Dixie stores carry Dietz and Watson as their premium line and Publix and a few indie upscale  niche AG marets carry Boar's Head. If you've never had better then yeah, BH generally beat the the few minors that are still left like Colosieum,Morrison,Land 0' Lakes in this area. Although some of the minors have some surprisingly better tasting products. BH has market branded themselves into a postion that one naturally assumes that the extra $2/lb is better and healthier. Kudo's to BH's marketing strategy. You're entitled to the best aren't you? 

Still, BH is a far cry from the commercial quality cold cuts that the places that I worked for in the 70's that purchased from meat packers in the NE. I've yet to taste anything that BH makes that's remotely similar to the Cappicola, Bologna, Salamis or the corn beef briskets and pastrami's . Sysco and I think Cheny Bros still distibute some mighty good premium coldcuts in the wider, commercial sized diameters. Retail coldcuts no longer have that overpowering cure,smoke, garlic,anise,corriander,and fresh cracked pepper smells when opening the cryovac.

Something else to consider with cold cuts. In the past 25 years or so, there is this mindset that they have to be cut very thin at the retail channels. Perhaps it's what the people like or become used to as the sandwich chains adopted this practice for more visible coverage and increased profit ratio while dispensing less product. Coldcuts and cheese taste their best near room temp. Health codes nowadays discourage that practice at the restaurant level. Few places anymore steam roast beef or pastrami b4 serving. Then there is the absurd PC influences on marketing with published fat and nutrion content. Cold cuts now are much leaner to the detrimiment of the product taste. That lower fat/nitrates/sodium illusion for better health has all but emasculated the ability for the coldcut to absorb flavor. Lets face it, the fat's where it's at when it comes to flavor absorption, not the meat. A good marble insures this and BH and others are too wrapped up in PC marketing for the silly retail consumer that buys based on label fat and sodium content. These are the same consumers that patronize and sings the praises of a independent restaurant as having such wonderful sanwiches that absolutely ingnores the fat/sodium content in favor of a richer flavor. While these health guidlines are generally correct and supported by the present state of nutrition, One doesn't make a lifestyle of just eating these coldcuts 24/7. An occasional pleasure is well worth it.
    fabulousoyster
    • Total Posts : 1855
    Re:Opinions on Boars Head meats 2009/09/01 14:43:15 (permalink)
    Genoa Salami
    Hard Salami
    Picante Provolone

All sliced
    Boars Head makes them best!!!
    jmckee
    • Total Posts : 1184
    Re:Opinions on Boars Head meats 2009/09/02 12:14:35 (permalink)
    I've never been disappointed with Boar's Head. Their meats and cheeses have all been superb when we use them. The new lemon pepper chicken makes a terrific sandwich when paired with the havarti cheese. When sliced about half an inch thick and diced, it's a memorable addition to a pasta salad.

Their stuff is chiefly available where I live at my local independent butcher's shop and an independent family-owned farm market, so using Boar's Head encourages me to do business there instead of at the big grocery store.
    rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    Re:Opinions on Boars Head meats 2009/09/03 06:29:13 (permalink)
    DawnT

There's very little left to compare them to as a retail product. Winn Dixie stores carry Dietz and Watson as their premium line and Publix and a few indie upscale  niche AG marets carry Boar's Head. If you've never had better then yeah, BH generally beat the the few minors that are still left like Colosieum,Morrison,Land 0' Lakes in this area. Although some of the minors have some surprisingly better tasting products. BH has market branded themselves into a postion that one naturally assumes that the extra $2/lb is better and healthier. Kudo's to BH's marketing strategy. You're entitled to the best aren't you? 

Still, BH is a far cry from the commercial quality cold cuts that the places that I worked for in the 70's that purchased from meat packers in the NE. I've yet to taste anything that BH makes that's remotely similar to the Cappicola, Bologna, Salamis or the corn beef briskets and pastrami's . Sysco and I think Cheny Bros still distibute some mighty good premium coldcuts in the wider, commercial sized diameters. Retail coldcuts no longer have that overpowering cure,smoke, garlic,anise,corriander,and fresh cracked pepper smells when opening the cryovac.

Something else to consider with cold cuts. In the past 25 years or so, there is this mindset that they have to be cut very thin at the retail channels. Perhaps it's what the people like or become used to as the sandwich chains adopted this practice for more visible coverage and increased profit ratio while dispensing less product. Coldcuts and cheese taste their best near room temp. Health codes nowadays discourage that practice at the restaurant level. Few places anymore steam roast beef or pastrami b4 serving. Then there is the absurd PC influences on marketing with published fat and nutrion content. Cold cuts now are much leaner to the detrimiment of the product taste. That lower fat/nitrates/sodium illusion for better health has all but emasculated the ability for the coldcut to absorb flavor. Lets face it, the fat's where it's at when it comes to flavor absorption, not the meat. A good marble insures this and BH and others are too wrapped up in PC marketing for the silly retail consumer that buys based on label fat and sodium content. These are the same consumers that patronize and sings the praises of a independent restaurant as having such wonderful sanwiches that absolutely ingnores the fat/sodium content in favor of a richer flavor. While these health guidlines are generally correct and supported by the present state of nutrition, One doesn't make a lifestyle of just eating these coldcuts 24/7. An occasional pleasure is well worth it.

I agree 100%!

My local Martin's carries Boar's Head, it's the best I can get so I buy it.....I like the Natural Casing Hot Dogs as well, I saw Boar's head brats on my last visit to Martin's so I bought a package.

I was not impressed at all, they were pre-cooked, no problem there. I grilled them to a nice golden brown over a charcoal fire, used a nice grilled bun, slathered with spicy mustard, and added a spoon full of kraut. The brats were flavorless, won't be buying them again.
    tkitna
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 626
    Re:Opinions on Boars Head meats 2009/09/05 03:37:17 (permalink)
    Being from Northern West Virginia, i've never been able to find Boars Head meats. Granted, I havent made it a special goal in life, but the local grocery stores dont carry it for sure.
    Beverly K
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 81
    Re:Opinions on Boars Head meats 2009/09/05 11:30:18 (permalink)
    I like BH roast beef and their Pork Roast. They are the least 'processed' of all their lunch meats.

Their all-natural line is very, very good. Minimal processing and mainly using sea-salt as a preservative. It tends to be very pricy however, running around $11 a pound.

I'm not familiar with either D&W or Thumann's, as no stores in this area carry them.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1