Orange-Aid? Strawberry-Ade? Watermelon kinda drink? Howdja make 'em?

Author
callmebruce
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 193
2010/07/31 16:25:29 (permalink)

Orange-Aid? Strawberry-Ade? Watermelon kinda drink? Howdja make 'em?

Okay - I was thinking with fresh fruit in season and farmer's markets in full swing - it might be fun to try and make some fruit drinks. I kinda sorta read about cooking fruit and sugar down to make a syrup, then mixing the syrup in with seltzer? Or something like that?

So - how do you go about making a fresh carbonated fruit drink? Any fruits more suited to this than others? Fill me in here!

7 Replies Related Threads

chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:Orange-Aid? Strawberry-Ade? Watermelon kinda drink? Howdja make 'em? 2010/07/31 17:27:57 (permalink)
    Heres the easy way after you get the fruit liquid
    http://www.wikihow.com/Carbonate-a-Beverage
    callmebruce
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Orange-Aid? Strawberry-Ade? Watermelon kinda drink? Howdja make 'em? 2010/08/01 11:36:12 (permalink)
    Cool!

I decided to try a black raspberry drink. I had raspberries in the fridge for a week, and needed to use them. So far I made a sugar syrup and a black raspberry syrup. I'll mix them with club soda this afternoon to see how they come out.

For sugar syrups, I saw various recipes. One part water to one poart sugar, two parts water to one part sugar, three parts water to one part sugar and tewo parts sugar to one part water. What? I guess it depends on how sweet you want it, and how thick you want it. I did two parts water to one part sugar, put it over heat and stirred until all the sugar crystals dissolved and the mixture was clear. I brushed down the sides of the pan to make sure everything was dissolved.

I then cleaned the berries and popped them in a blender and hit liquify. I put that mixture through a sieve so I'd only have liquid. I'll try to figure out ratios of berry syrup, sugar syrup and club soda later on. Fingers crossed!

(the carbonation techniques look cool! I'll have to try them as well)
    claracamille
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 434
    Re:Orange-Aid? Strawberry-Ade? Watermelon kinda drink? Howdja make 'em? 2010/08/01 13:40:01 (permalink)
    I make a lemon/orangeade that my grandmother always made in the summer:

Quarter 2-lemons.  Squeeze the lemon quarters in a pitcher,toss in the squeezed lemon quarters,add 1 1/2 C sugar, using a wooden spoon smash together the lemon juice, lemon quarters & suagr.  Add about 1 C of water, smash some more.  Then mix in 1 package regular orange kool-aid & 2 quarts of water.  Our over ice.

My kids loved this in the summer time & now my grandkids love it to.
    callmebruce
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Orange-Aid? Strawberry-Ade? Watermelon kinda drink? Howdja make 'em? 2010/08/01 15:09:37 (permalink)
    I'll have to try that!

I mixed two tablespoons of blackraspberry syrup, two tablespoons of sugar syrup and club soda in a large glass. Stirred, added ice. Added more sugar (what can I say, I like it too sweet).

I've been giving the strawberries and kiwis side glances. They may end up in a soda before the week is out.

Still have some basic measurements to figure out, and maybe try seltzer instead of club soda to see if it tastes different. But I think I'm getting there.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:Orange-Aid? Strawberry-Ade? Watermelon kinda drink? Howdja make 'em? 2010/08/01 16:39:09 (permalink)
    Make some homenade lemonade, blend a handful of raseberries, or blueberries, mix in with the lemonade, damn good
    callmebruce
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Orange-Aid? Strawberry-Ade? Watermelon kinda drink? Howdja make 'em? 2010/08/26 00:30:05 (permalink)
    Decided to try strawberries. Tossed 'em in the blender, then through a sieve. Measured out to one cup and popped them in a pot with 2 cups sugar. Cooked it into a nice syrup and tossed it in the fridge.

Tried mixed with seltzer and had a nice strawberry soda. Then thoughts of strawberry ice cream soda jumped in to my mind (just read Two for the Road, and that was a birthday drink for a lady in Iowa or some such place). So - 2 tablespoons of strawberry syrup on the bottom of a tall glass. Then a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Then more strawberry syrup. And another scoop of vanilla ice cream. Then seltzer.

I think I like strawberry ice cream soda a LOT more than strawberry soda!
    stricken_detective
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2330
    Re:Orange-Aid? Strawberry-Ade? Watermelon kinda drink? Howdja make 'em? 2010/08/26 00:33:13 (permalink)
    Watermelon chunks
    black cherry seltzer or that 0 calorie black cherry carbonated water they sell @ WalMart.

Blend, pour, enjoy!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1