Ore-Ida Extra Large Mozzarella Sticks

Author
Nick_Escalantes
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 29
2008/04/01 18:48:19 (permalink)

Ore-Ida Extra Large Mozzarella Sticks

Just wondering if any other fans are out there of these Ore-Ida Extra Large Mozzarella sticks. I get them in a huge box at BJ's, never found them anywhere else. They are restaurant size and quality. Taste great.

You have to deep-fry them for a decent experience. Don't judge them until you deep-fry. They are intended to be cooked that way. That's why cheese sticks are so good at the restaurants. I remember baking them one time and they came out very soft and not crispy. It ruins it. The microwave method has never been tried but the instructions are on the box if some of you want to give it a try.

It's interesting though because I've checked the Ore-ida website and couldn't find them on it. This is the only site I've found on these things. It gives a pic and the nutritional value. 5 g protein per stick

http://www.foodfacts.com/members/item_info.cfm?id=8566

16 Replies Related Threads

PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Ore-Ida Extra Large Mozzarella Sticks 2008/04/02 13:48:21 (permalink)
    Nick, to bad they do not make these easier to find. I love a good Mozz stick! I have not found a brand I think is great, and easy to get... Has anyone got another brand they like?
    Joe
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6204
    RE: Ore-Ida Extra Large Mozzarella Sticks 2008/04/02 13:58:21 (permalink)
    Costco sells a great large box of frozen mozz. sticks.Forget the brand...pretty good!
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: Ore-Ida Extra Large Mozzarella Sticks 2008/04/02 14:36:54 (permalink)
    Thanks Lee... but... the nearest Costco to me is a 100 mile round trip. :~( Are there any brands sold in regular stores that are good?
    joe
    Nick_Escalantes
    Junior Burger
    RE: Ore-Ida Extra Large Mozzarella Sticks 2008/04/02 15:27:35 (permalink)
    i've never found a decent mozz. stick sold in a regular market. Wholesale clubs ie Sam's, Cosco, BJ's are the best shot to find good ones. Also, I've been thinking about ordering some of these, I bet they are awesome. Thet claim it's the same food that many restaurants buy... but it's a bit expensive 2.5 lbs at 28 bucks. maybe i will try it this year some time.

http://www.restaurantfoodsathome.com/asp/products/Battered_Mozzarella_Cheese_Sticks.asp
    KOK
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 333
    RE: Ore-Ida Extra Large Mozzarella Sticks 2008/04/02 15:35:45 (permalink)
    I've bought the TGIFriday's mozzarella sticks in the store, and they are pretty good. The problem is I don't have a deep frier and as Nick_Escalantes pointed out, they really must be deep fried to be as good as in the resaurant. Toaster oven or regular oven just isn't the same. That didn't stop me from inhaling the entire box chop, chop.
    mikez629
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 307
    RE: Ore-Ida Extra Large Mozzarella Sticks 2008/04/02 15:46:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by PapaJoe8

Thanks Lee... but... the nearest Costco to me is a 100 mile round trip. :~( Are there any brands sold in regular stores that are good?
    joe

Make your own PapaJoe-there are easy. I know that you can do it. I like to almost freeze the cheese before breading and deep frying-coat them in corn flakes. I like to use a square chunk of cheese.
    Nick_Escalantes
    Junior Burger
    RE: Ore-Ida Extra Large Mozzarella Sticks 2008/04/02 15:49:55 (permalink)
    i've tried the TGI Fridays sticks. They are horrible. they come in flat rectangular shapes. They have a small amount of cheese in them. Dumbest design I've seen. The breading tastes bad. Out of all the chesse sticks you can buy, these I hate the most. I don't even think my dog would eat them.

pic

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/61QBNK6NZYL._SS400_.jpg
    Buzzbait82
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 51
    RE: Ore-Ida Extra Large Mozzarella Sticks 2008/04/02 16:11:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Nick_Escalantes

Just wondering if any other fans are out there of these Ore-Ida Extra Large Mozzarella sticks. I get them in a huge box at BJ's, never found them anywhere else. They are restaurant size and quality. Taste great.

You have to deep-fry them for a decent experience. Don't judge them until you deep-fry. They are intended to be cooked that way. That's why cheese sticks are so good at the restaurants. I remember baking them one time and they came out very soft and not crispy. It ruins it. The microwave method has never been tried but the instructions are on the box if some of you want to give it a try.

It's interesting though because I've checked the Ore-ida website and couldn't find them on it. This is the only site I've found on these things. It gives a pic and the nutritional value. 5 g protein per stick

http://www.foodfacts.com/members/item_info.cfm?id=8566

Yeah they are also 120 calories per serving. Not bad if you only eat one.
    Nick_Escalantes
    Junior Burger
    RE: Ore-Ida Extra Large Mozzarella Sticks 2008/04/02 16:35:51 (permalink)

Usually I eat 12-15 at a time, this is why I buy large economy boxes. So I'm getting 60-70 grams of protein along with some vegatable with the marinara sauce.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: Ore-Ida Extra Large Mozzarella Sticks 2008/04/02 16:47:40 (permalink)
    Mike, I am sure you are right. I do have some whole milk mozz in the fridge. Hmm, I have some frosted flakes. Would they work? :~)

I already make to much stuff though! I like to serve the mozz sticks, just two of em, with some baked breaded frozen fish filets. This is a meal when I am feeling lazy. I just bake the sticks along w/ the fish.

KOK, I can fry things in a pan w/ just a small amount of oil, or grease, and it's almost like deep fried. Kinda like love and lust. You cant buy love but... I can barly tell the difference. :~)

Nick, my dog loves those lousy store bought sticks! One more smiley:~)
    Joe
    mland520
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 485
    RE: Ore-Ida Extra Large Mozzarella Sticks 2008/04/02 16:53:43 (permalink)
    If you coat the mozz, after cutting into strips ( or use string cheese- right shape) sparingly with flour, then dip in an egg bath and then dredge in toasted, seasoned, bread crumbs- you too can make homemade mozz sticks- and you can bake in oven- spray with olive oil spray- hot oven( about 425) and turn one time! Very tasty- and almost a good as in any restaurant!
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: Ore-Ida Extra Large Mozzarella Sticks 2008/04/02 17:07:57 (permalink)
    That's a good and easy idea Mland, the egg bath, the string cheese! And I could bake those w/ the fish. 425 is what both need.

Shoot Mike, I already had the frosted flakes crumbled up! :~)
    Joe
    angeltearsmc
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 319
    RE: Ore-Ida Extra Large Mozzarella Sticks 2008/04/03 17:22:02 (permalink)
    Mland is right - but my suggestion is to coat the strips/sticks with flour, dip in egg wash, dredge in seasoned bread crumbs, THEN re-dip in egg and re-dredge in bread crumbs. It helps to make sure you don't have any uncoated areas for the cheese to leak out, because it will. Watch them closely. I took mine out as soon as I saw them starting to leak and they were perfect.
    Nick_Escalantes
    Junior Burger
    RE: Ore-Ida Extra Large Mozzarella Sticks 2009/04/24 12:47:30 (permalink)
    Update: Costco / Sam's Club / Wal-mart sell Farm Rich brand cheese sticks. They are decent, but the quality control needs to improve. When deep frying, many sticks explode or leak cheese. Destroys your oil quickly with these.

Ore-Ida sticks are much better in taste, size, and contruction.  And usually BJ's offers a $2 coupon, which puts the price at $8 for a 5 lbs box. Dirt cheap.
    SassyGritsAL
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1089
    RE: Ore-Ida Extra Large Mozzarella Sticks 2009/04/24 16:45:20 (permalink)
    We buy Snapp's brand of moz. stick for $1.25 a box and they are great. You get eight sticks and we deep fry them. They are now the only brand that my son will eat and you can't beat the price. Our Wal-Mart carries them and are often on sell for a $1.00 a box. You can also get them at Dollar General Markets and Dollar Tree's that sell frozen foods.

Believe me they are very good. They also have great cream cheese poppers. I tried their onion rings (so, so), their mushroom bites (not so good), and their pizza snaps (fair). Of all their producs the moz. sticks are the best.

I just can't get over how much restaurants charge for an order of eight moz. sticks and charge you $5-6 for them.
    lonewolfette9847
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Ore-Ida Extra Large Mozzarella Sticks 2010/01/13 00:25:51 (permalink)
    I wish Friendly's would sell their mozzarella sticks... yum!

I can't think of the brand, but they come in a faded yellow box, no sauce, but they're really good!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1