Organic Eggs

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2016
2004/11/17 08:53:09 (permalink)

Organic Eggs

A man that I have had the pleasure of meeting a few times takes credit for putting organic eggs into mainstream supermarkets here in the northeast. His Country Hen brand, in spite of a recent fire in it's newest barn has become a major player in the regional market. He claims to be proud of the competition that has come along to fight for a share of the market that didn't exist 15 or 20 years ago. My question to you is are these special eggs worth the money? I recently bought large brown eggs at 25 cents per doz. (one at .99, get 3 free), at the same time the Mr Bass product was 2.99 per half dozen. His product is far better, and almost as good as eggs from my own free running pet chickens that stop laying this time of year. I am just finishing up my cheap 25 cent eggs, and I plan on going back to Country Hen. I hate to spend that kind of money though, and I realize that my favorite restaurants use the cheap eggs. What do you think?

31 Replies Related Threads

Cakes
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    RE: Organic Eggs 2004/11/17 09:48:50 (permalink)
    Ha!

Reminds me of when we found vegetarian eggs. I didn't know eggs ate!

We bought a dozen............tasted like eggs.

Cakes
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Organic Eggs 2004/11/17 10:19:28 (permalink)
    i know that the best eggs i ever got came out of MY yard--from my chickens --that had plenty of outdoor space---two actually so there was always green foliage in one of them!--and got to eats greens and bugs---and the snails from my garden--and layer mash and oyster shell and garden trimmings. I am lucky enough to usually be near someone who sells good eggs from a private flock----the Amish bakery/farm sells me GOOD real honest eggs for a buck---worth every penny. I LOVE organic---im a major fan of what is called "Slow food"---food that has TASTE!!!---but to be honest---at $6 a dozen---Mr Bass can keep his eggs. In the spring i will be putting in a coop, and if organic means that i dont use hormones,pesticides,sprays,genetically altered,chemically enhanced production methods---then I will be eating organic eggs---just like my grandfather,who taught me how to do it- --at WELL below $2.99 a half dozen!
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Organic Eggs 2004/11/17 12:33:00 (permalink)
    Price seems quite steep for a half dozen.. Some folks I know just got back from Australia and where telling me eggs where 6 bucks a dozen down there... Must have been organic! ha ha.. But seriously, your better off saving your money and driving into the country and buy a dozen for a buck from a local farmer... Or smuggle a couple hens into your backyard and raise your own!
    tmiles
    RE: Organic Eggs 2004/11/17 12:59:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

Price seems quite steep for a half dozen.. Some folks I know just got back from Australia and where telling me eggs where 6 bucks a dozen down there... Must have been organic! ha ha.. But seriously, your better off saving your money and driving into the country and buy a dozen for a buck from a local farmer... Or smuggle a couple hens into your backyard and raise your own!

I do raise my own, but this time of year the hens don't lay. I could fool them into laying by keeping them inside under lights, but I like to let them run 'til the snow flies. Mine will start laying again in late January as the days get longer. My eggs cost me far more than a buck a dozen to grow, just as my veggies cost more to grow than to buy. If I compare my eggs to the $6/doz kind, I do save by growing my own.
    dug
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 213
    RE: Organic Eggs 2004/11/19 11:59:17 (permalink)
    my sister in greentown in. raises free-range[not kept in cages] chickens and the eggs they produce are so delicious and flavorful[not to mention beautiful in colors].she has buff orphington's,barred rock's and one silver laced wyandotte rooster that they named george!
    Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Organic Eggs 2004/11/19 14:59:15 (permalink)
    We buy Country Hen eggs quite often, because they tend to be fresher and have higher, better-looking yolks. Actually, during farmers market season, we get our eggs from Johnson's Farms at the Brookline Farmers Market -- $1.75 a dozen, and better and fresher than anything you'll get at a supermarket!

And at the Shaw's near my house, Country Hen eggs are usually about $2.29 a half-dozen. Wherever you're shopping that they're $2.99, you're getting hosed.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Organic Eggs 2004/11/19 15:34:29 (permalink)
    Just check3ed with a friend who says he saw organic eggs all year at the farmers maarket for 1.75 TO 2.25. Seems like a fair price to me.
    tmiles
    RE: Organic Eggs 2004/11/19 15:49:15 (permalink)
    Organic eggs were 2.50 per doz last night at Big Y. The Country Hen eggs were still 2.99 per half dozen. They get it because they really are better. Just because a product is organic doesn't mean that it is better, just that it meets certain standards. Some organic eggs for example come from caged hens and have the same flat pale yokes as regular eggs. If there were no other eggs, I don't suppose that I would complain about the price, but I hate to pay the 2.99.
    hefried
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Organic Eggs 2004/11/20 23:26:03 (permalink)
    I think they are worth the price for freshness, for the treatment of the animals and for the flavor. I always try to but organic "cage free" eggs.
    A few years back, my roommate Eliza was a montessori teacher, and in her class she had a little girl who's family had chickens (organic) and we got eggs from them often & the eggs were DEFINITLY the best i've ever had. HUGE difference!
    zussers
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Organic Eggs 2004/11/20 23:37:34 (permalink)
    I buy organic, cage-free, vegetarian fed eggs. I figure that a healthy, hopefuly "happier" chicken is going to produce better tasting and better quality eggs! The price is usually around 2.99 for a dozen. I usally end up buying Eggland's Best brown eggs. I haven't seen Country Hen eggs here in Knoxville, Tn but I will keep looking!
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: Organic Eggs 2004/11/21 02:18:49 (permalink)
    I've got three folks in the "neighborhood" (a few miles square) who do organic eggs, plus a supermarket that stocks organic eggs. No more than $3/dozen any place. The local-people eggs are cool colors -- greens and such, and thick shells; and far superior flavor and consistency. But the supermarket is regular. My wife made a mistake and got the regular mass-produced eggs last week; such a marked differences in consistency and flavor.
    dug
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Organic Eggs 2004/11/22 15:05:52 (permalink)
    organic eggs in chicago run about $3.29 per doz..
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Organic Eggs 2004/11/22 15:13:17 (permalink)
    I get eggs for free from my sons best freinds' mother. All I have to do is send empty cartons over and she fills them up as they always have more than they can use. My sister-in-law also raises chickens.

I honestly can't tell the difference from "store bought" except for the color.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Organic Eggs 2004/11/22 16:17:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

I get eggs for free from my sons best freinds' mother. All I have to do is send empty cartons over and she fills them up as they always have more than they can use. My sister-in-law also raises chickens.

I honestly can't tell the difference from "store bought" except for the color.

Does your sons best freinds mother like you? May explain alot...
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Organic Eggs 2004/11/22 16:49:10 (permalink)
    Of course she does!
    LegalLady
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 404
    RE: Organic Eggs 2004/11/22 17:59:40 (permalink)
    EGGS IS EGGS

LEGALLY SPEAKING
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Organic Eggs 2004/11/24 23:28:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by LegalLady

EGGS IS EGGS

LEGALLY SPEAKING

But, happy eggs come from happy chickens.

I buy my eggs from a local place, Alexander Family Farm, and they are one of the places around that offer TRULY "free-range" hens. There isn't a world of difference between the taste, but there definitely are subtle differences in yolk color and consistency, and in firmness of the white.

The best part, though, is the satisfaction of getting fresh food and supporting your local farmer!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Organic Eggs 2004/11/25 10:47:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie
    [

The best part, though, is the satisfaction of getting fresh food and supporting your local farmer!

Could not have said it better!!!!!!!
    hefried
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Organic Eggs 2004/11/27 00:12:44 (permalink)
    ****that goes for me too!!!!!

quote:
    Originally posted by tiki

quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie
    [

Could not have said it better!!!!!!!
    dctourist
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 325
    RE: Organic Eggs 2004/11/30 21:30:56 (permalink)
    If organic/happy eggs are too expensive at your supermarket, try a local co-op or health food store. I get mine for $2.79 a dozen. While you're there, check out the bulk spices, and you will NEVER pay supermarket prices again. I could go on...
    Mr.Pig
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 35
    RE: Organic Eggs 2005/01/28 08:12:20 (permalink)
    I get mine from some friends in Asheville. To compare, crack one of theirs and one factory egg in indentical white bowls. The yolk is decidedly different in color and I find that the free range organic make better cakes and are not as fragile when heat is applied for an over easy egg. Just my observation. I have been in commercial egg operations in North Carolina and I like to know that I can get eggs from happy chickens, not the ones working in "sweat shops" (hehe).
    Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Organic Eggs 2005/01/28 14:11:46 (permalink)
    I've become a bit of a convert regarding organic foods. Foods are so processed today, and have so much crap added, that we've recently made an effort to be more careful in what we buy, especially now that we have young children. We're also finding that, coincidentally or not, our diets have gone much better since we started eating "lesser-treated" food.

That said, "organic" is a dangerous word, because the FDA does such a poor job (in my opinion) of legislating food labeling. I'm not convinced that something is good just because that magic word appears. I just figure that the less stuff added, and the closer the food product is to its original source, the better.
    MissKitty
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 292
    RE: Organic Eggs 2005/02/01 07:43:14 (permalink)
    The best eggs are usually those from your own chickens ... havent lived anywhere theres enough space to do that for many years now, but I do remember what they taste like.

I havent bought anything like a battery hen egg for a long time. I just loathe the idea of how theyre kept and fed and also how those eggs look and taste :/ I try different suppliers, at the moment I buy from the guy who runs a deli and farm goods store just round the corner, his supplier runs a farm about 15 miles away and they are all rescue hens, ie battery ones that would have been killed off once they were past their maximum laying time. Now they have a great life and although their egg output is erratic, what they do produce looks and tastes great :)
    corabeth
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Organic Eggs 2005/02/02 14:48:55 (permalink)
    I am constantly looking for eggs that are equal to my grandmother's eggs. The yolk is not yellow, but almost orange in color. And the taste!!!! Once you have tasted eggs like these, you will never go back. My problem is finding a reliable source. I have never found a commercially produced egg with a orange yolk. I find them at healthfood stores, farmers markets, etc. Once I find a good source, I wlll go back, but it seems hard to find a reliable supply. I live in Indianapolis, so if anyone in Central Indiana knows where I can get good eggs, please let me know.
    dug
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Organic Eggs 2005/02/03 01:52:13 (permalink)
    i would think joe omalia's supermarkets in indy should carry organic free range eggs.they have a few locations i beleive although not eggsactly sure.
    corabeth
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Organic Eggs 2005/02/03 08:56:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dug

i would think joe omalia's supermarkets in indy should carry organic free range eggs.they have a few locations i beleive although not eggsactly sure.

Thanks,Dug for the O'Malia's info. I have tried all their organic, free range eggs & they are just the same are the regular eggs. I am going to the new Fresh Market this afternoon. Maybe I'll have luck there.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18665
    RE: Organic Eggs 2005/02/03 09:37:18 (permalink)
    I buy my eggs direct from farmers who swear they keep all their laying hens in teeny, tiny cages where they cramp up so much the eggs just keep-a-coming. I consider it payback for the years as a child when I had to haul the 100 pound feed sacks and clean out the coops for my grandfather.
    Greyghost
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: Organic Eggs 2005/12/14 19:23:07 (permalink)
    I am fine with organic and that is what I buy when I eat eggs at home. Usually, I eat eggs out at Roadfood places

I used to think free-range was a good thing as well. That was until I listened to the owner of the Plainville Turkey Farm. Plainville used to do free-range until they discovered they were on a migratory bird path and became wary of disease laden droppings. Very wisely they moved the birds to very roomy indoor quarters away from the threat. With bird flu in the news every day, I think this was a very wise move indeed
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Organic Eggs 2005/12/15 11:22:18 (permalink)
    Bird flu is 6000 miles away. W/o being able to get to green plants the eggs don't have the omega-3 acids that actually make them good for you.

FYI

http://www.motherearthnews.com/images/eggs/large_chart.jpg

Yea, I know it's a tree hugger site but whatever.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1