The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Organic Ground Beef

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3218
Organic Ground Beef Thu, 04/1/04 2:39 PM (permalink)
When the mad cow scare surfaced, I decided to try organic beef for my home made cheeseburgers. I tried ground sirloin from Whole Foods and ground chuck from Outpost Foods. What a difference! The organic burgers cook faster with less grease. Best tasting cheeseburgers I've experienced. Now I'm spoiled. I prefer organic meat. My wife agrees. Have any of you tried organic hamburger meat? www.wholefoods.com/products/list_meat.html

Grampy

• Total Posts: 1559
    RE: Organic Ground Beef Thu, 04/1/04 2:54 PM (permalink)
    Unless really, really pressed, I will only buy organic beef (or prime from a local restaurant/gourmet distributor). Luckily, there are several farms in New England, and we also have a Whole Foods nearby. There is simply no comaparison on many levels, culinary through ethical.

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
      RE: Organic Ground Beef Thu, 04/1/04 3:22 PM (permalink)
      ...does organic mean the makeup of the feed and/or the grazing grass, or does it refer to
      lack of hormones/drugs/vaccinations etc. given to the cows, or both? We have "natural" beef from small producers here in Oregon and California, most sold at regular local markets and "hipster" stores alike. I'm intrigued. I'm off to the market to see what Painted Hills and Harris Ranch say on their labels. We were within the range of the mad cow shipments from that slaughterhouse, but I usually try to buy meat from as close to home as possible. I Agree about taste, for sure. Richer, if that's a term that can be applied to meat.

RedPatti

• Total Posts: 135
        RE: Organic Ground Beef Thu, 04/1/04 3:38 PM (permalink)
        Whole Foods organic beef is wonderful. Really great burgers and meatballs. Love the "Prime" steaks too. Really really beefy flavor.

Grampy

• Total Posts: 1559
          RE: Organic Ground Beef Thu, 04/1/04 3:43 PM (permalink)

4fish

• Total Posts: 214
            RE: Organic Ground Beef Thu, 04/1/04 9:34 PM (permalink)
            I buy organic beef from a local producer at my co-op grocery. They get shipments twice a week and you have to be quick on the draw because it sells out pretty fast. I love the ground beef and the sirloin tips are to die for, too! It used to be a lot more expensive than supermarket beef but I thought it was worth it for the superior quality. Now supermarket beef prices have gone up so the organic looks like an even better value.

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
              RE: Organic Ground Beef Fri, 04/2/04 9:06 AM (permalink)
              Got a friend and neighbor that raises cattle organically and of course eats his own beef. Those suckers are BIG!!-and he needs help with freezer room at butchering time---gee what a shame!!! so not only do i get good organic home grown beef---i get it at market value for the rancher plus butchering fee! Amazing how much money Safeway makes off a steer!!! No question in my mind--organic,grass fed beef is FAR superior to grocery store beef!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com