Original Lou Malnati's

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
danimal15
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1092
2005/10/31 16:17:07 (permalink)

Original Lou Malnati's

We ate this weekend at the original Lou Malnati's location in Lincolnwood, and my wife and I agree there's something special about the pizzas there that isn't matched by the chain's other locations. It's nothing tangible that I can explain, but they just seem fresher and better put together. We enjoyed the spinach deep dish a great deal. Also worth trying - the fried zucchini appetizer. Now that's a great way to get your daily serving of veggies!

52 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18882
    RE: Original Lou Malnati's 2005/10/31 16:20:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by danimal15

We ate this weekend at the original Lou Malnati's location in Lincolnwood, and my wife and I agree there's something special about the pizzas there that isn't matched by the chain's other locations. It's nothing tangible that I can explain, but they just seem fresher and better put together. We enjoyed the spinach deep dish a great deal. Also worth trying - the fried zucchini appetizer. Now that's a great way to get your daily serving of veggies!

It's a chain?
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4609
    RE: Original Lou Malnati's 2005/10/31 16:37:44 (permalink)
    Yeah, it's a chain
    wesuilmo
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Original Lou Malnati's 2005/10/31 16:45:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Yeah, it's a chain

Chicago area only, about 20 locations.
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Original Lou Malnati's 2005/10/31 16:48:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Yeah, it's a chain

Yeah, it's a CHAIN
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Original Lou Malnati's 2005/10/31 17:51:26 (permalink)
    and it's darned good pizza! Truly mouth watering! Danimal, we've eaten at Malnati's in Elk Grove and Lincolnwood and both are great. I think it's maybe an operator thing even though they're all maintained by the Malnati family. I crave that pizza! Hackney's, who makes a great burger "do a search" restaurant, also a small "local" chain seems to be the best in Lake Zurich. Hackney's on Harms "the first one" coming in second. I know those from the NY area love that folded up stuff with the burned cheese, but not me- i can do that myself! For dinner, Malnati's is my fave, and always will be! And so far, no trick or treaters! Looks good for the day after candy bowl at work tomorrow!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7956
    RE: Original Lou Malnati's 2005/10/31 18:09:57 (permalink)
    It's not a chain!!! Neither is Gold Star!!

Lou Malnati's doesn't even expand past the Chicago Land area. Gold star maybe expands as far out as exotic Dayton.

chezkatie
    RE: Original Lou Malnati's 2005/10/31 18:36:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

Lou Malnati's doesn't even expand past the Chicago Land area. Gold star maybe expands as far out as exotic Dayton.

I counted only 101 Gold Star Chili's...................so how is it not a chain

http://www.goldstarchili.com/locations.asp?post=true&bystate=true&state_id=
    jeepguy
    RE: Original Lou Malnati's 2005/10/31 18:47:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chezkatie

quote:

Oh stop it... sheesh.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Original Lou Malnati's 2005/10/31 19:01:07 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

It's still a local chain which can probably still be controlled/contained. I'm wondering if they have sacrificed quality for the almight buck, especially with all the one man operations such as Camp Washington or Price Hill. But you're right, 101 locations- that's a chain!!!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Original Lou Malnati's 2005/10/31 19:01:49 (permalink)
    quote:

In fact, Gold Star did open three franchised stores in Columbus. They didn't make it.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Original Lou Malnati's 2005/10/31 19:10:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

In fact, Gold Star did open three franchised stores in Columbus. They didn't make it.

See that they wandered too far from the apron strings
    chezkatie
    RE: Original Lou Malnati's 2005/10/31 19:16:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jeepguy

quote:

quote:

Oh stop it... sheesh.

I have 2 questions? Who in the world are you to tell anyone to stop it? And the second and more important question is "Why in the world should I?"
    jeepguy
    RE: Original Lou Malnati's 2005/10/31 19:46:38 (permalink)
    Wow, you really are on a mission! Lou Malnati's is a small local group of wonderful pizza restaurants scattered throughout the Chicago area and none being in the same style building, in fact a couple look they're in OLD barns. It's a very successful Chicago family and is not a chain, although they do ship worldwide. BTW Thanks Danimal!!! lol
    Nemis
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: Original Lou Malnati's 2005/10/31 19:56:20 (permalink)
    OHH i can't wait!! On Nov 3rd, My husband is taking me to Chicago (5 hour drive) for my 32 birthday and Lou's Malnatti's pizza is a MUST!!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Original Lou Malnati's 2005/10/31 20:07:39 (permalink)
    quote:

Wow, you really are on a mission! Lou Malnati's is a small local group of wonderful pizza restaurants scattered throughout the Chicago area and none being in the same style building, in fact a couple look they're in OLD barns. It's a very successful Chicago family and is not a chain, although they do ship worldwide. BTW Thanks Danimal!!! lol

Sounds like a chain to me.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4305
    RE: Original Lou Malnati's 2005/10/31 20:29:11 (permalink)
    Sorry, but I just can't help mentioning Burt's Place in Morton Grove whenever I read these posts extolling the utter fabulousness of Lou Malnati's/Pizzerias Uno and Due/Gino's East and whatever other tourist pizza is capturing the attention of Chicago pan pizza eaters. Burt Katz was the original owner of both Gulliver's and Pequod's two of Chicago's other pizza icons. Although largely unsung, his contributions to the Chicago pizza scene are only slightly less impressive than Ike Sewell's. The difference being that Burt is still at it! For those interested, he's located on Ferris between Lincoln Avenue and Dempster. If you want directions or want to order ahead, call (847) 965-7997.
    BBQ Barney
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 161
    RE: Original Lou Malnati's 2005/10/31 20:59:57 (permalink)
    How interesting, those that post the most are also the most knowledgable in the definition of the word "chain." I'm becoming unimpressed by the number of stars next to a person's name. Perhaps posts that merely quote a prior reply for the second time should not be printed--instead, e-mail that person with your continuing disagreement. What I'm disappointed in is that I visit Chicago now and then, and thought from the title of this thread that I might get folks' opinion of Malnatti's pizza--style, best ingredients, sauce, etc. My memory from ten years ago is of pretty good pizza, but in determining whether I should return to Malnatti's, I really don't care about the definition of chain--especially as perceived by those that have never been to Lou Malnatti's.

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4305
    RE: Original Lou Malnati's 2005/10/31 21:47:24 (permalink)
    I hope you weren't pointing a finger my way on this one. I never even used the word "chain" in my post. You want an opinion on Malnatti's and I gave it to you, albeit in a roundabout way--Malnatti's is good, Burt's is better.
    jeepguy
    RE: Original Lou Malnati's 2005/10/31 21:56:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

Sounds like a chain to me.
    Who cares??? And if so why? Please explain. Their pizza is mouth watering and not your typical friday night fix. Have you ever had Lou Malnati's? Really, who cares?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Original Lou Malnati's 2005/10/31 22:25:05 (permalink)
    quote:

Who cares??? And if so why? Please explain. Their pizza is mouth watering and not your typical friday night fix. Have you ever had Lou Malnati's? Really, who cares?

Here's a hint: If it's a chain it belongs, we have been led to believe, in the fast food-chain section, only.
    essvee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Original Lou Malnati's 2005/10/31 22:45:49 (permalink)
    Michael, it seems to me that you are trying to stir up the pickles.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: Original Lou Malnati's 2005/10/31 23:02:25 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh stop it... sheesh.

I have 2 questions? Who in the world are you to tell anyone to stop it? And the second and more important question is "Why in the world should I?"
    ( The above lines are from Chezkatie,not me) Because it is boring and predictable and not very interesting. I'm assuming your reply will include something about how many posters have left roadfood and how the site has gone to hell in a handbasket. I like reading your posts on food. I wish you would stop pursuing posts on places with more than one location as if they were all representatives of the evil golden arches.
    There was a Roman Senator in ancient times who finished every speech with "Carthage must be destroyed"and was left with nothing to say when Carthage finally was destroyed. Too many of us are continuing the quarrel. Let's just talk about the pizza or chile and let the moderators and administrators move the posts where they see fit.
    Pizzafiend
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Original Lou Malnati's 2005/11/01 06:17:01 (permalink)
    Lou's is not a chain it is family owned and run and run very well i must say and one the last of the family owned Famous Deep Dish Joints in Chicago and
    The Original Gino's Pizza On Rush est.1954
    (NOT Affiliated with Gino's east est.1966)is the only other one.
    chezkatie
    RE: Original Lou Malnati's 2005/11/01 07:32:07 (permalink)
    Dear Mr. Chips,

I am free to persue anything I want on these boards and do not need or want your opinion. And why would I want to get on the subject of how many people have left these boards? That does not interest me the least. Thank you for sharing and caring.[|)]
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4609
    RE: Original Lou Malnati's 2005/11/01 09:15:36 (permalink)
    quote:

101 locations- that's a chain!!!

I'd personally like you to count down slowly from 101 and at each number, stop and decide if it is still a chain. Assume for purposes of the excercise they are closing locations one at a time. At what number does your answer become "No, it is no longer a chain"

While you're doing that, think about the management structure. Will they at some point close their corporate management offices, or will they simply downsize the number of corporate personnel? Does the number at which Gold Star Inc closes it's corporate offices altogether exactly coincide with the number you chose above?

That said, yes, Gold Star is a chain. So is Skyline, and Lou Malnati's is as well. And yes, I have eaten at Lou Malnati's - the one near Mr Beef in downtown Chicago.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Original Lou Malnati's 2005/11/01 10:26:27 (permalink)
    quote:

Dear Mr. Chips,

I am free to persue anything I want on these boards and do not need or want your opinion. And why would I want to get on the subject of how many people have left these boards? That does not interest me the least. Thank you for sharing and caring.[|)]
    Understood. I look forward to your next 500 posts on the evils of chains.
    saps
    • Total Posts : 1565
    RE: Original Lou Malnati's 2005/11/01 10:35:06 (permalink)
    Too bad. A good thread started about Lou Malnati's pizza reduced to an idiotic argument about where the thread belongs.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Original Lou Malnati's 2005/11/01 10:36:12 (permalink)
    quote:

Dear Mr. Chips,

Interesting that someone who feels "free to persue (sic) anything I want on these boards" also feels compelled to bother others who post what they want to. Where I come from they call a person like that a hypocrite.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Original Lou Malnati's 2005/11/01 10:53:08 (permalink)
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1