Orion Cooker

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 16
Author
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/04/08 14:40:41 (permalink)
Every time this topic pops up I see the title as Onion Cooker.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6449
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/04/08 16:49:31 (permalink)
Enginecapt

I bet it would cook onions too!!
Orion Lover
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 49
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/04/08 19:31:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Jackson

With summer right around the corner this post will pick up again. I might hook up an electric smoke injector to mine...Russ

http://www.smokepistol.com/ordering.html

I hope you're right Russ. I have really enjoyed the banter! I have been craving some ribs so this might be a good weekend to fire up the Orion (Onion)
dampeerw
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/05/14 15:16:36 (permalink)
I've enjoyed all the back and forth. It seems that I've found a culture that I didn't even know existed. Just put my Orion together and wife is out buying a brisket. Looking forward to the results using Russ's recipe.
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/05/14 15:22:19 (permalink)
Good Luck and enjoy. Post pics when you are done...Russ
tpackert
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/05/15 11:23:05 (permalink)
quote:

<snip>
Also the unit cooks similar to the http://www.lacajachina.com/ which is used to roast an entire pig.I will be ordering one soon....lol

I have owned a Caja China for over 10 years and have cooked 60-110 lb whole pigs every Christmas. Indeed, they do cook similarly, no direct flame, fast and moist.

I purchased an Orion Cooker to do 6 racks of ribs for Easter this year, they came out great. I have also cooked a 20lb turkey with smoke and a 20 lb turkey without smoke (some people don't like smoke flavor), everything has been really good so far. Like others have said, its easy, light it and forget it.

Tonight, I am biting the bullet and doing a 7 lb prime rib, for a small dinner. One nice thing is this fits into a weekday meal we have a kids basketball game and a football game. But I can just light this and when I come home it should all be done. Just not sure whether to put the wood chips in or not for the prime rib.

Will post an update tomorrow.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3160
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/05/15 15:36:24 (permalink)
Hey that's great; welcome to Roadfood
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6449
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/05/15 15:46:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

Hey that's great; welcome to Roadfood

hutt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 103
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/05/15 15:49:55 (permalink)
Maybe I'll have to get me one of them things. Consumer Reports says they're just "so-so", but they can be a little stupid at times. (page 32, June '08 edition) They say the food isn't as crisp or as juicy
compared to being cooked on a gas grill with a rotisserie. They also state that clean-up is messier and takes longer on the Orion.
I just don't see how that can be if you folks are as happy as you are with the Orion.
They DID say that the food cooked faster on the Orion.
Orion Lover
Junior Burger
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/05/18 19:52:12 (permalink)
Hello all my Roadfood Orion Lovers (and haters). It's been a while since my last food related post due to some "things" going on in my life. But, that is not a subject for here.

I fired up the Orion this past weekend and cooked a couple racks of BB's. Man, I had forgotten how good they turn out. I used some Orion rub on one rack and then Orion rub and garlic on the second. They both turned out great. Tender and juicy and pulled right off the bones. I am planning on getting together with "the boys" this weekend for a night of poker and I am going to cook several racks. Maybe if they are thinking about the ribs, they WON'T be concentraing on thier cards!

Anyway, have a good week and happy cooking/smoking/steaming....whatever it is you do.

Tim
Orion Lover
Junior Burger
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/05/18 19:53:58 (permalink)
Holy Smokes, sorry about the font size folks.....my bad!
grill_IT
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/06/04 15:49:06 (permalink)
I am a first time poster looking for some advice. I am not new to the idea or process of smoking or grilling, I have burnt my share of ribs and pork loins. I also know some about good BBQ, a requirement of living in Eastern NC is to receive your monthly dose of Parkers. I currently am using a offsite smoker I picked up from Walmart for less than $100 buck. It is aging and rusting pretty bad. I am looking to replace it. I would love to purchase a Grill Dome or BGE but Mrs. grill_IT doesn't care for the charcoal or heavy smoke favor(almost grounds for divorce). So the real question is; Gas Smoker or Orion Cooker? Price seems to be about the same ~$150 either way. Also next question; is the Orion safe enough to use on a wooden deck? In all the pictures they are being used on a patio or in the grass.

Thank in advance for the advise, I am looking forward to cooking some ribs this weekend in a new smoker.

~jlm
porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2217
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/06/04 16:09:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by grill_IT

I am a first time poster looking for some advice. I am not new to the idea or process of smoking or grilling, I have burnt my share of ribs and pork loins. I also know some about good BBQ, a requirement of living in Eastern NC is to receive your monthly dose of Parkers. I currently am using a offsite smoker I picked up from Walmart for less than $100 buck. It is aging and rusting pretty bad. I am looking to replace it. I would love to purchase a Grill Dome or BGE but Mrs. grill_IT doesn't care for the charcoal or heavy smoke favor(almost grounds for divorce). So the real question is; Gas Smoker or Orion Cooker? Price seems to be about the same ~$150 either way. Also next question; is the Orion safe enough to use on a wooden deck? In all the pictures they are being used on a patio or in the grass.

Thank in advance for the advise, I am looking forward to cooking some ribs this weekend in a new smoker.

~jlm

I may be a tad biased since I use a gas smoker, but I think that's the way to go. Larger capacity and, even with the current cost of propane, probably more fuel efficient than the Orion. A gasser isn't exactly traditional bbq but, compared to the Orion, it is. jhmo, pb
Orion Lover
Junior Burger
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/06/05 06:05:23 (permalink)
quote:

~jlm

Since I don't do a whole lot of cooking, I like the Orion simply because it is so hard to mess the food up if you follow the instructions. Put the meat in, light it and pull it off after the recommended amount of time!

I used my Orion in a utility building with a wood floor one day when it was raining. I cooked non-stop for 7-8 hours and didn't have any problems. Probably not the smartest thing to do but I did keep a close eye on it.

Tim
grill_IT
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/06/05 08:15:05 (permalink)
I like what everyone is has said about the speed of the Orion and I guess I could get the same speed out of a propane smoker if I turn up the heat.

If I want to get a heavy smoke which one can give me a better result?

~jlm
Orion Lover
Junior Burger
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/06/05 10:36:46 (permalink)
quote:

I like what everyone is has said about the speed of the Orion and I guess I could get the same speed out of a propane smoker if I turn up the heat.

If I want to get a heavy smoke which one can give me a better result?

~jlm

I'm not going to try to give you any advice on the smoker side of this conversation simply because I don't know the answers. There are plenty on here that can speak from that side.

As far as the smoke flavor by using the Orion. It is my personal opinion that you do get a better smoke flavor/smell from the slow smoking technique, but by placing the wood chips in the Orion per instructions, I find that I get a very satisfactory smokey taste and smell.

Your comment of "turning up the heat" on a propane smoker. Again, I don't know squat about slow smoking but I'm not sure that would do the trick for you. By design, the Orion uses convection and the steam that the meat produces for it's quick and tender cooking. I'm not sure your smoker would work that way.

Anyway, whichever route you decide to take, I hope the ribs are GOOD!

Tim
Russ Jackson
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/06/06 13:35:07 (permalink)
Smoking is low and slow using wood and charcoal. Propane smokers sure would waste alot of fuel. When I use propane it is usually for hot and quick. When you dont have time to wait for the coals to cool down. The Orion which is an excellent product is not really a smoker but more of a sealed oven. Smoke can be added but the principle is totally different. The Orion makes an incredible product in a very short time using alot of charcoal. Look at my previous posts and pics. If you want to do 6 racks of ribs, a couple chickens, a brisket or a couple pork shoulders in about 1/3 the time and have great results then buy an Orion. A true novice can do an entire brisket in an Orion the first time and serve an excellent final product. I have friends that have been using a smoker for years and still cant get it right and probubly never will....Russ

Nothing beats true long and low BBQ. But the Orion method in 1/3 the time is very close.
myterry2
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 532
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/06/06 13:37:55 (permalink)
Horrible product.
Russ Jackson
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/06/06 13:41:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by myterry2

Horrible product.

You are the first person that I have ever heard say that. Could you share your experience?
What you cooked and why?
...Russ
TheNose
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/06/06 14:56:26 (permalink)
quote:

Horrible product.
TheNose
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/06/06 14:58:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TheNose

quote:

Horrible product.

What product are you talking about? My Orion is wonderful.

Terry
Orion Lover
Junior Burger
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/06/06 17:39:54 (permalink)
quote:

Horrible product.

What is horrible about it? Seriously, I have never had a bad experience with it. And I am NOT one that gets on here and says it is better than low and slow cooking, all I say is it produces a great product, just uses a different method. Anyway, it looks like we might get the fight going on this subject again! LOL
Orion Lover
Junior Burger
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/06/09 12:19:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Orion Lover

quote:

Horrible product.

What is horrible about it? Seriously, I have never had a bad experience with it. And I am NOT one that gets on here and says it is better than low and slow cooking, all I say is it produces a great product, just uses a different method. Anyway, it looks like we might get the fight going on this subject again! LOL

Looks like we are the victim of a drive by!!!
dampeerw
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/06/10 11:54:30 (permalink)
Its been awhile since using my Orion for its maiden voyage.
I cooked a brisket that came out great. I have since cooked
ribs that worked well. Now I have five friends with an Orion
who have cooked chicken, bone-in ham, as well as brisket and ribs. All are happy with the simplicity and results of the Orion.
Russ Jackson
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/06/12 07:28:00 (permalink)
quote:

Horrible product.

We gave this poster 6 days to respond. And they did not. I did look thru there previous posts and most are negative one line snipes. Sad that people do things like that. myterry2 you are a coward...Russ
Leroy77
Junior Burger
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/06/25 01:00:33 (permalink)
I recently bought the Orion Cooker and used it to cook some baby backs. the instructions read for six rack to cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes. I thought that could not be long enough, so I kept them in for an hour and a half. The were falling off the bones inside the cooker. Tender and delicious. The charcoal is on the out side and the smoke from the charcoal does not touch the meat.
The drawback as I see it is that I don't normally cook for more than my family of four and this is designed to cook for a lot more than that. I could have cooked another six rack with the original load of charcoal as the juices in the drip pan were still boiling another hour and a half after I was done.
If some of you that aren't stuck in the 1800s have one of these I would really enjoy getting some recipes from you.
Ciao for now.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5092
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/06/25 01:17:00 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

Horrible product.

We gave this poster 6 days to respond. And they did not. I did look thru there previous posts and most are negative one line snipes. Sad that people do things like that. myterry2 you are a coward...Russ

I think it's rude and insulting to all of us for someone to just, "hit and run" without an explanation.
Orion Lover
Junior Burger
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/06/25 20:51:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by twinwillow

quote:

quote:

Horrible product.

I think it's rude and insulting to all of us for someone to just, "hit and run" without an explanation.

I think myterry2 is really MilwFoodlovers in disguise! LMAO!
Russ Jackson
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/06/25 20:56:54 (permalink)
quote:

Horrible product.

I think myterry2 is a COWARD. I searched there posts and most of them were 1 line attacks on something. Rarely has something positive to say....Russ

If you need a good laugh tonite watch this. Make sure you watch the whole video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4_MsrsKzMM

...Russ
rooster69
Junior Burger
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/07/19 12:32:52 (permalink)
Well I am a first time poster so I am expecting to be disregarded by the "Old/Many Time posters bacause apparently posting a lot on these pages makes you smarter. Not reading, posting. Of course these are probably the same type of folks that followed Hitler a while back. You know, the ones who know everything about everything ( Kinda like redheads). Anyway I appreciate the input by the newbies because they have used something new and gained from it. Thanks newbies. I broke my dad's rule of "If you don't have something nice to say don't say anything." But that doesn't seem to be a problem here. LOL Hope all these are in fun.
Rooster
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 16
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1