Orion Cooker

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 12 of 16
Author
Orion Lover
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 49
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/10/07 22:19:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by John A

quote:
Originally posted by Orion Lover

quote:

Come on Orion owners. There's a couple of us skeptics waiting to see those pictures and be convinced that these things are not just outdoor ovens/steamers. Show us those ribs, chicken, briskets, etc, and push us off the fence.

JohnA,
Scroll up a few pages and there are a lot of pics of some of my cooking. There are also lots of other pics from last year.
Tim

Thnaks Tim,

I went back and looked at the old posts, and pictures. Everything looks good but like CajinKing I think the pork is cooking to fast and not fully rendering the fat. I do like "bark" on my butts & ribs so I guess I'll keep on gettin it done low and slow.

I agree with you and have no argument for you stance. But, for quick and great tasting meat, you can't beat the Orion. If I had the time and patience, I would do the low and slow method too, but I urge you to find someone close to you and at least try the meat cooked on an Orion. I promise you that you won't be disappointed.

Tim
RibRater
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1862
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/10/08 03:51:49 (permalink)
quote:

Thnaks Tim,

I went back and looked at the old posts, and pictures. Everything looks good but like CajinKing I think the pork is cooking to fast and not fully rendering the fat. I do like "bark" on my butts & ribs so I guess I'll keep on gettin it done low and slow.

Amen brother. I came to the same conclusion..If I want steamed (or baked) meat i can get that at 1001 "bbq" restaurants all over the country.

I can appreciate the reasons folks have provided for using the orion but for me, some things just take time and they're worth waiting for...you can't rush a rib. It's ready when it's ready.

Russ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 2257
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/10/08 16:20:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by RibRater

quote:

Thnaks Tim,

Amen brother. I came to the same conclusion..If I want steamed (or baked) meat i can get that at 1001 "bbq" restaurants all over the country.

I can appreciate the reasons folks have provided for using the orion but for me, some things just take time and they're worth waiting for...you can't rush a rib. It's ready when it's ready.

RibRater,

In response to your comment that ribs take time and you cant rush a rib. I can agree with you when smoking low and slow. However the Orion cooks the rib a different way and creates a different end producr not only in taste but texture as well. As I would agree that my long method of cooking ribs is superior to the Orion way. The end result is still excellent and fool proof. Anyone and I mean anyone can produce excellent ribs using the Orion. I have been served ribs at backyard parties and festivals hundreds of times that were far inferior to what the Orion produces every time. Nothing beats a true pit masters product. But 99 out of 100 people will never be a pit master. But with the Orion they will be able to create a great product far better than most so called Pit Masters Ribs. My friend has cooked ribs in it dozens of times because his guests request it.Not to mention it makes great Brisket, Chicken, Sausage, and possibly the best Turkey I have ever had.

I had my doubts. I bought a unit. And I love it. As do the four other people I have bought them for.

Great Product...Russ
Orion Lover
Junior Burger
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/10/13 22:03:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by RibRater

quote:

Thnaks Tim,

So you are suggesting that you can't get low and slow cooked ribs at 1001 places too? Hell, I can find that many in SC alone! And where does it say that juicy, moist and not fully rendered meat is not good? You probably didn't mean anything derogatory by your post but it just "rubbed" me the wrong way. HA! Pun intended!

Tim
Old Chef
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/10/14 02:19:49 (permalink)
I just purchased a new Orion Smoker/Cooker at Home Depot, and after trying it out tonight for the first time with a whole Turkey Breast, and some bacon wrapped doves, WOW! This smoker is easy to use, and absolutely produces the best smoked turkey you will ever eat, bar none! While it is smoking your meat, it works like a convection oven as well, and steams the meat,in half the time and better quality than any smoker on the market today. Smoky, juicy, and tender, not dry and tough like other smokers will produce. And for all of you health freaks out there, if you are afraid of charcoal, this unit never lets the charcoal touch the meat, because it is strictly outside the smoker at all times. I paid 99.00 for this smoker at Home Depot, and I bought two. You will be impressed, just try it!
Russ Jackson
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/10/14 07:42:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Old Chef

I just purchased a new Orion Smoker/Cooker at Home Depot, and after trying it out tonight for the first time with a whole Turkey Breast, and some bacon wrapped doves, WOW! This smoker is easy to use, and absolutely produces the best smoked turkey you will ever eat, bar none! While it is smoking your meat, it works like a convection oven as well, and steams the meat,in half the time and better quality than any smoker on the market today. Smoky, juicy, and tender, not dry and tough like other smokers will produce. And for all of you health freaks out there, if you are afraid of charcoal, this unit never lets the charcoal touch the meat, because it is strictly outside the smoker at all times. I paid 99.00 for this smoker at Home Depot, and I bought two. You will be impressed, just try it!

I think all first time posters need to supply pictures to be part of this thread. You know I support the product and bought one only because of the one time and gone trolls. I love my Orion but two Doves wrapped in Bacon in the Orion? Lets see the pictures. And were they Doves or Street Pidgeons? WoW..LOL...Russ
WarToad
  • Total Posts : 1846
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/10/14 08:52:02 (permalink)
I'm amazed this thread has had legs this long over a novelty cooker.
Orion Lover
Junior Burger
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/10/14 19:38:21 (permalink)
I haven't been able to cook much in the last several months due to some personal "stuff" going on in my life but I am closing on a new house on the 23rd of this month and I am gonna have one hell of a cookout. Butts, ribs and wings. Baked beans in the crock pot, tater salad and on and on and on. I can't wait!

Tim
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/10/15 09:46:15 (permalink)
Don't forget the pictures
Orion Lover
Junior Burger
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/10/15 19:24:52 (permalink)
quote:

Orion Lover
Junior Burger
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/10/15 19:26:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Orion Lover

quote:

Come on John! I already posted a lot las Thanksgiving. Do I have to proove myself again???
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/10/16 06:39:31 (permalink)
That's an interesting response. Taking pictures has nothing to do with the method of cooking. If you do not agree take a look at the "Lunch/Dinner - What did you have? Pics Please." thread with 17 pages and 51,248 views.
Orion Lover
Junior Burger
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/10/16 15:29:48 (permalink)
quote:

That's an interesting response. Taking pictures has nothing to do with the method of cooking. If you do not agree take a look at the "Lunch/Dinner - What did you have? Pics Please." thread with 17 pages and 51,248 views.

Ahhhhh, got ya John. I will take pics and TRY to post them. CajunKing actually posted my previous pics for me since I'm purdy stoopid when it comes to 'puters. But, I will give it a shot. One question, do you have to be a paying subscriber to Roadfood to post?

Tim
Wabbit
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 477
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/10/16 15:40:48 (permalink)
This tread is like a bad check. keeps coming back, and Yes I have noticed so many 1time posts. will never waste my money on one.
Wabbit
Cheeseburger
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/10/16 15:45:24 (permalink)
Orion Lover Never ever put Carolia ribs in the same catory of a Orion Cooker, We take pride in our ribs. the flavor shows. You insult the great BBQ chef by your words.. no this is not a joke!
Russ Jackson
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/10/16 15:59:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Wabbit

Orion Lover Never ever put Carolia ribs in the same catory of a Orion Cooker, We take pride in our ribs. the flavor shows. You insult the great BBQ chef by your words.. no this is not a joke!

Wabbit do you own a Orion?...Russ
Orion Lover
Junior Burger
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/10/16 16:23:31 (permalink)
quote:

This tread is like a bad check. keeps coming back, and Yes I have noticed so many 1time posts. will never waste my money on one.

Then why the heck do you keep visiting the site Wabbit? Mind telling me where I compared "Carolina" ribs with ribs from an Orion?

But anyway, where do you cook/eat? I live in the Upstate of SC. My favorite BBQ hut is Wise's in Newberry on Hwy. 76. I heard a nasty rumor that it had closed....I hope that isn't true!

Have you ever eaten meat from an Orion? If so, what's your gripe with it?

Tim
Wabbit
Cheeseburger
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/10/16 16:59:42 (permalink)
I eat N.C. ribs cooked on wood as you can see the smoke ring. I do not own a Orion, my friend does. The ribs did not come out the same as "local BBq " places. I prefer the old method for flavor reasons.If you are going for speed , the Orion is quick. The flavor of Ribs cooked for several hours over wood taste much better to me.
Russ Jackson
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/10/16 17:55:26 (permalink)
quote:

I eat N.C. ribs cooked on wood as you can see the smoke ring. I do not own a Orion, my friend does. The ribs did not come out the same as "local BBq " places. I prefer the old method for flavor reasons.If you are going for speed , the Orion is quick. The flavor of Ribs cooked for several hours over wood taste much better to me.

Sorry but I just don't believe you have ever eaten anything cooked in an Orion. Could you please provide pictures of one of the meals or a future meal from your friend. Until then you will receive the same respect that the one time posters have received. I have almost 1150 posts including dozens of recipes,pictures,and insight. You will find that I have knowledge in many areas of food and its preparation. I also understand what properly cooked and prepared food should taste and look like. I purchased one of the units only because of this thread and searching for one bad review from someone who had actually used one. I still have never read a bad review of the product from anyone who owns one. I stepped up and purchased one. Lets face it the thing looks ignorant. I have also given them to friends and family since and all 5 of them love the product. I own a smoker and consider myself far more than adequate when it comes to smoking and BBQ. Wabbit Break open the piggy bank, spend the 99 dollars and give it a try. I am glad I bought one and so are 1000s of others. Do you realize that there are over 2200 Home Depot stores selling this product. Each store must have sold 300 (66,000)of them over the past 5 years. Not to mention ACE Hardware,Woot,Menards and others and there is not 1 bad review on the internet. And on this thread alone you can find dozens of success stories with pictures. I find it mind blowing that people have such a hard time believing this thing works. If you were going camping for a few days this thing is a must. Honestly you could cook anything in this thing and get great results without risk of failure....Russ
Wabbit
Cheeseburger
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/10/16 18:14:09 (permalink)
I did not take pictures. You enjoy what you do, and as well, I enjoy what I d
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Jackson

quote:

Sorry but I just don't believe you have ever eaten anything cooked in an Orion. Could you please provide pictures of one of the meals or a future meal from your friend. Until then you will receive the same respect that the one time posters have received. I have almost 1150 posts including dozens of recipes,pictures,and insight. You will find that I have knowledge in many areas of food and its preparation. I also understand what properly cooked and prepared food should taste and look like. I purchased one of the units only because of this thread and searching for one bad review from someone who had actually used one. I still have never read a bad review of the product from anyone who owns one. I stepped up and purchased one. Lets face it the thing looks ignorant. I have also given them to friends and family since and all 5 of them love the product. I own a smoker and consider myself far more than adequate when it comes to smoking and BBQ. Wabbit Break open the piggy bank, spend the 99 dollars and give it a try. I am glad I bought one and so are 1000s of others. Do you realize that there are over 2200 Home Depot stores selling this product. Each store must have sold 300 (66,000)of them over the past 5 years. Not to mention ACE Hardware,Woot,Menards and others and there is not 1 bad review on the internet. And on this thread alone you can find dozens of success stories with pictures. I find it mind blowing that people have such a hard time believing this thing works. If you were going camping for a few days this thing is a must. Honestly you could cook anything in this thing and get great results without risk of failure....Russ
Russ Jackson
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/10/16 18:38:33 (permalink)
quote:

I did not take pictures. You enjoy what you do, and as well, I enjoy what I do
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Jackson

quote:

Sorry Wabbit but I feel you are not credible on this topic. Without pictures I just think you are a negative poster looking for a rise. I read about 10 of your last posts and have found them to be negative also. Come back with some pictures next time....Russ

Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10207
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/10/16 18:56:08 (permalink)
Let's solve this B.S. (Bickering & Sniveling) with a good old fashioned duel-----Pork Chops at 20 paces!!!
Wabbit
Cheeseburger
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/10/16 19:09:07 (permalink)
Just because I didnt take a picture of a meal I did not like, does not make me negative.If you read the whole thread many others had alot of the same opinions.I do not see where you are taking this as a attack on you or your taste.
jthaley
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/10/26 14:17:34 (permalink)
Well it took me a while to post more pictures, I forgot. Old age is creeping up on me 10 years ago...

Here is a link to a youtube movie of a party we had and fed 135 neighbors. 80 pounds of ribs and 80 pounds of pulled pork. (Boston Butts.
All cooked in Orion cookers.

at around the 2:40 mark in the video the ribs are being prepared and are being placed in the cooker......I am the good looking old guy with the white beard in the video..

For you doubting Thomas's out there, yes if you cook a hog over hickory coals for 24 hours the results are outstanding, but the Orion does nearly as good in less than 2 hours for the ribs and 4 hours for three 12 pound butts...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZbHU1gREs4

Russ Jackson
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/10/26 14:37:42 (permalink)
I saw a lot of empty plates and happy faces. Nice Job! I bet there were no complaints. All done in a $99 dollar Orion. Amazing...Russ
Part 2 of the video is good also.
RibRater
  • Total Posts : 1862
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/10/26 14:42:32 (permalink)
Great video. Love the golf carts.

The ribs looked like the needed a little "finishing" (or firming) on a grill...similar to when you are using a texas crutch.
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/10/27 11:41:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by WarToad

AMEN!
Russ Jackson
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/10/28 17:52:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by chewingthefat

quote:
Originally posted by WarToad

AMEN!

You keep coming back. The looky loos cant stop coming back to see whats new. chewingthefat you should go out and buy one and give it a try....Russ
bceagle
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/10/29 07:52:55 (permalink)
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting either this Orion unit or an Old Smokey Electric Smoker. There's good info here on the Orion, anyone have any experience with the OSEM? Also, should I be considering any other brands/models. The OSEM is in a similar price range as the Orion at full retail ($149).

Thanks!
bceagle
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/10/29 10:27:44 (permalink)
[sorry for the double post -- just fixing typos]
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting either this Orion unit or an Old Smokey Electric Smoker(OSES). There's good info here on the Orion, anyone have any experience with the OSES? Also, should I be considering any other brands/models. The OSES is in a similar price range as the Orion at full retail ($149).

Thanks!
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 12 of 16
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1