Orion Cooker

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 13 of 16
Author
bceagle
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/10/29 16:16:26 (permalink)
Here's a blurb from Consumer Reports regarding the Orion:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/home-garden/lawn-garden/outdoor-living/gas-grills/grills/gas-grills/overview/gas-grills-ov.htm?resultPageIndex=1&resultIndex=1&searchTerm=smoke%20cookers

"Other cookers were so-so. In addition to grills, we tested the $139 Orion Cooker and the $129 Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-less Turkey Fryer. Both can be used to cook whole chickens, turkeys, or roasts, freeing space on the grill for steaks, burgers, and other smaller items. The charcoal-fueled Orion uses convection, steam, and smoke, if desired. We compared a whole chicken, a turkey, a pork roast, and prime rib cooked in the Orion with ones cooked on a gas grill, using a rotisserie. The Orion was in our gas grills review almost always faster than the grill, and meats were juicy and tender but not as crisp or juicy as ones cooked on a grill. And cleanup was messier and took longer."
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6559
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/10/29 17:15:29 (permalink)
I still say it looks like sum than my ol pappy used to make electric spring water!!
MTque
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/11/01 01:11:21 (permalink)
I’ve been researching the Orion Cooker when I stumbled onto this thread: Great website and great information on the Orion. I pulled the trigger and bought one to help out with Thanksgiving. I’ll still cook one of our two birds in the fryer, but this will be a nice change; saving me some work and allow both birds to be done at the same time. I'd like to get away from the deep fryer because Thanksgiving can be cold in Montana. I like the idea of watching it from the window.

Question: Anyone try giving a short smoke to their meat before cooking it in the Orion? Any other tricks for smoke? My family doesn’t like too much smoke, but loves a little. There are mixed opinions on the Orion’s smoke.
Falcon358
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/11/23 02:12:30 (permalink)
Just ran across your forum on the Orion Cooker and just wanted to let everyone know that it is the real deal! I was intrigued when I first saw it at Home Depot in 2004 and I too was skeptical about the concept, but Depot put it on sale for just over $100 and I couldn't pass it up and I'm so glad I didn't! Since then I have smoked about 40 turkeys using various wood chips(cherry, apple, peach and Mesquite). Larger pieces in the 3/4"size give the most smoke for the longest time, but the flavor is never overpowering. Every turkey I do is about 12 lb and I use 13 lb of matchlight and 90 min. later it is done to perfection. When I pull the turkey I put a couple of large chickens in and a few chips and slap the lid on because there is plenty of heat left and another 90 min. to 2 hrs later we have chicken for the week and it helps to offset the cost of charcoal. It does great ribs, just start with about half a cup of liquid(apple juice, beer or water in the drip pan)which help to keep them from drying out, also does great pork butts. Try it and be impressed!
57MACE
Junior Burger
Re:Orion Cooker 2008/12/19 17:42:35 (permalink)
Google search "Trash Can Turkey"; it is the same principle.
I have had turkey made like this a few time; and they are good; and they do cook quickly.
You can save yourself some $ making this thing yourself.
RodgerLS
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
Re:Orion Cooker 2009/01/14 22:05:21 (permalink)
I linked into this forum via the Orion community discussion. I have only read the first 90 posts on the Orion, so I don't know if I will surely add anything new to the discussion. I hope to learn more about your site as time goes on, plan to read the rest of the posts, and will likely post again because, well, I haven't yet limited my posts on other "forums" to one post. :-)

I have grilled foods outdoors on my gas grill and cook Thai food (I graduated from a short version of a Thai cooking school). So, rate me as a novice. No smoker experience prior.

I have cooked a couple of times with my Orion and loved the results. I will not presume to say that my results were on par with anything cooked by the Roadfood crew, but my family loved the turkey I cooked for Thanksgiving and the tennis players loved the pork ribs I cooked at the tennis courts (5 racks, not the suspect 6 racks).

I cook using 7 pounds of charcoal and use lava rocks to trick off using a whole bag. So, there is a way to cook with less charcoal. I have used hickory and mesquite chips, about a handful in both cases. I could taste the smoke flavor and in both cases the chips were not reusable. Less chips are more for this cooker.

A review is only worth the research effort put into it, so I found it strange to read all the speculative notes and all the worries about 1 posters. Either the information is good or its not, regardless.

I don't own stock in Orion, but if you come to my house to steal my Orion I will smoke your rear.
(Humor, Smiles, and Hugs)

Kindest Regards....

RodgerLS
Junior Burger
Re:Orion Cooker 2009/01/14 23:11:26 (permalink)

My 2nd post!!!
I am quite sure using an Orion is not the top end of cooking, Roadcrew or not. But, I am also quite sure that I won't do my tennis court cookouts using anything else. I can set it up, go play tennis, and then eat like mad dogs with all my tennis buds.  
The Orion fits neatly in the backseat of my Infinity and is not very heavy. I even prefer it over the portable camp out grills I have used. 
The first two cookouts at the courts were done by my friend using a turkey fryer.  Good, but who needs all the grease and the associated risk.

Well, please don't buy one if you haven't yet. I ride a sport bike and hit the curves. My friend rides a Harley and hits the Bars...and no we don't ride together.  

I will still cook on my grill and use my wok AND be amazed at what BBQ pit masters cook up.

post edited by RodgerLS - 2009/01/15 00:06:33
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
Re:Orion Cooker 2009/01/15 00:25:43 (permalink)
 Oh no. it's b-a-a-a-a-c-k
RodgerLS
Junior Burger
Re:Orion Cooker 2009/01/15 10:04:07 (permalink)
No "it's" not baaaack.  But, I'm not sure I will stay and yes I look forward to the door hitting my rear on my way out. 

One observation - I'm not yet seeing this kind of snark post on the Orion website regarding competing products or ideas - all the discussions I have read there are about how to get the most out of what they do and share the best ideas. Why you would want to run people off is amazing to me, since I thought it was all about the good eats at the end of the day. But, hey, there are plenty of cooking websites out there and websites reputations are what they are.
porkbeaks
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2217
Re:Orion Cooker 2009/01/15 10:10:55 (permalink)
RodgerLS

......... Why you would want to run people off is amazing to me, since I thought it was all about the good eats at the end of the day......

Why? Because some of the foks that hang around here can get pretty crazy about some subjects. It's hard to know why. As for the Orion, I'm thinking about "going there" myself. Welcome to Roadfood. pb

NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
Re:Orion Cooker 2009/01/15 11:26:58 (permalink)
RodgerLS

No "it's" not baaaack.  But, I'm not sure I will stay and yes I look forward to the door hitting my rear on my way out. 

One observation - I'm not yet seeing this kind of snark post on the Orion website regarding competing products or ideas - all the discussions I have read there are about how to get the most out of what they do and share the best ideas. Why you would want to run people off is amazing to me, since I thought it was all about the good eats at the end of the day. But, hey, there are plenty of cooking websites out there and websites reputations are what they are.

My apologies. It's sort of an "inside joke", not about you.'
Welcome Rodger!

RodgerLS
Junior Burger
Re:Orion Cooker 2009/01/15 19:24:23 (permalink)
Ok, I'm in.
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
Re:Orion Cooker 2009/01/16 12:37:45 (permalink)
The interest in this topic could be material for a Doctoral Thesis!
unorthydox
Junior Burger
Re:Orion Cooker 2009/01/16 23:11:34 (permalink)
I just got one of these, (Yes, it's baaaaack!) and have really enjoyed reading all the posts so far, and am looking forward to firing this thing up tomorrow with some butt.

Russ:
I really like the idea of using a thermometer... what kind of thermometer did you use for the one in your pics?

Thanks again for the forum.

Jim

(Oh, I got mine on woot for $59.99 +$5.00 shipping. w00t! I'd been looking at a Big Green Egg based on recommendations from a friend, but this is something I could afford now.)
Bingo969
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
Re:Orion Cooker 2009/02/01 20:44:52 (permalink)
Okay, so here's another 1 post guy praising the Orion!

Like the gentleman above me, I also bought one off Woot.  I've been eyeing these since they hit the market but couldn't justify the cost.  I have a nice full size grill for grilling and I built my own smoker for smoking so I just couldn't bring myself to spend the 100-150 bucks.

Once I saw it on woot I finally pulled the trigger.  Boy am I glad I did!

I've not done my own ribs before so I thought that'd be a nice way to break the girl in.

I followed the manual's instructions and cooked for 1 hour 10 minutes. Everyone who tried them said they were absolutely fantastic with a few folks saying they were the best they had ever had (I'm chalking that up to being polite though.)

The only problem I had was that they all broke and fell which I think could be fixed by me stabbing the hangers in farther down on the rib. It wasn't really a problem though as they were fully cooked and really all it did was make those parts nicely braised.

I will say that cleanup was a bit of a pain. Not the end of the world but not as easy as just scraping the down grill grates.  Cleanup took maybe 10 minutes or so.

I posted a full series of pictures along with the recipes I used on my flickr page at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bingo2/sets/72157613212994125/

Here are a couple small sized photos. All the pics on my flickr page are full resolution (Click above the pic where it says "All sizes" to see the big ones if you want.

Loading her up:

And the results!

I just wanted to drop by and toss in my report on the Orion. As someone else said, it won't replace a full on Super Smoker Rig but it darn well did a great job for us in an hour.
Doomo
Junior Burger
Flagged as Spam (1)
Re:Orion Cooker 2009/05/25 12:48:42 (permalink)
I have been a member here for a few months... I read it for a couple of years before that...I mostly read it because I travel a lot... I like to find interesting places to eat on my travels. My wife recently purchased a Orion Cooker... It made a good meal... I told her she could probably find recipes and advice here... Well, she read this thread... She told me you guys were the biggest bunch of assholes on the planet. She wanted NOTHING to do with you. She specifically mentioned CajunKing... She said you guys chased out anyone who mentioned it or asked questions... After reading the first 5 or 6 pages I must admit, I am forced to agree with her. Why are you guys so damned... Well, I will put it this way... If one of you had the balls to say some of that crap to my face I would be doing something that let you get that handicapped parking sticker you always wanted. What the hell is up with you guys?
chewingthefat
Sirloin
Re:Orion Cooker 2009/05/25 13:11:36 (permalink)
Thank you for reviving this topic, I'm now going to run down the street screaming!
Doomo
Junior Burger
Re:Orion Cooker 2009/05/25 14:28:42 (permalink)
That is funny, MY message is inappropriate... Yet some of you guys berate people like it is an Olympic event and you are going for the gold! You are real big about being tough guys online. But I have a feeling my wife is right about some of you... That you are nothing but a bunch of fat little online bullies. A lot of these people came on here and asked questions and talked about something they purchased. And you guys run them off... Really manly and helpfull. Chasing out newcomers because... Well, I really do not know why... I think I will hang around now and read some more of the poison you spill... And I will direct some others who will find it interesting...
porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2217
Re:Orion Cooker 2009/05/25 14:35:43 (permalink)
Doomo

That is funny, MY message is inappropriate... Yet some of you guys berate people like it is an Olympic event and you are going for the gold! You are real big about being tough guys online. But I have a feeling my wife is right about some of you... That you are nothing but a bunch of fat little online bullies. A lot of these people came on here and asked questions and talked about something they purchased. And you guys run them off... Really manly and helpfull. Chasing out newcomers because... Well, I really do not know why... I think I will hang around now and read some more of the poison you spill... And I will direct some others who will find it interesting...

Keep in mind that these bullies are not typical of the helpful, courteous folks that make up the majority here. As for you, you've managed in just a couple posts to come off as an a$$hole. jmho, pb  

MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3174
Re:Orion Cooker 2009/05/25 14:53:00 (permalink)

Ah, my favorite thread!

Hey, whatever happened to that Bingo969 guy that posted his pictures and then left?
No one disparaged his remarks, yet he posted only once and vanished.
Guess the mother ship picked him up.

Doomo, when you clean up your Orion you might want to save some soap for the missuses mouth.

Russ, I know you don't speak for all Orion users but you've stuck around while the vast majority of Orioningers are strictly one topic, one or two post only visitors. What's up with these folks?
Very strange, very strange.

I Woot and I've been tempted several times but I can't bring myself to purchase matchlight briquettes; nasty product and it seems like you have to use quite a bit of the stuff for each usage.

I can't wait for what's next.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
Re:Orion Cooker 2009/05/25 16:14:12 (permalink)
For an insight on Roadfood... read this thread and... the ketchup on a hot dog thread.

My quest is to cook some dogs on the Orion, and then drench them in... mustard. :~)
Joe
chewingthefat
Sirloin
Re:Orion Cooker 2009/05/25 17:49:57 (permalink)
PapaJoe8

For an insight on Roadfood... read this thread and... the ketchup on a hot dog thread.

My quest is to cook some dogs on the Orion, and then drench them in... mustard. :~)
Joe

Joe, no Horsey sauce???????

chewingthefat
Sirloin
Re:Orion Cooker 2009/05/25 17:55:11 (permalink)
Doomo

It's been a real pleasure having you here even if it was a short time.
Doomo
Junior Burger
Re:Orion Cooker 2009/05/25 18:41:22 (permalink)
You guys gve it out ... But you don't take it very well...
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: Orion Cooker 2009/05/25 19:12:28 (permalink)
Nice 1st time post rooster! Welcome to Roadfood!
Joe

Oh/ edit... Chewer... yes, Texas style Horsey sauce   =   Wolf Brand!!!

Hmm, I do like that Arby's Horsey sauce. :~)
post edited by PapaJoe8 - 2009/05/25 19:26:03
Bingo969
Junior Burger
Re:Orion Cooker 2009/05/31 20:41:36 (permalink)
MilwFoodlovers

Ah, my favorite thread!

Hey, whatever happened to that Bingo969 guy that posted his pictures and then left?
No one disparaged his remarks, yet he posted only once and vanished.
Guess the mother ship picked him up.

Nope!  I'm still here. No big conspiracy either. It's just since there weren't any replies to this thread so I didn't see any reason to keep commenting!

I do however still really like the Orion.
Funny thing about it too - I use it out front in my driveway since when it first lights up the flames can be pretty fierce for maybe the first 5 minutes or so. I'm not comfortable having any type of open flames in my backyard since we are in a record drought.
Whenver any of my neighbors see the Orion out front and cooking they ALL come over because they want some of whatever is cooking up.
When I have the smoker out, hardly anyone cares. But I pull out that Orion and everyone comes around!

Bingo

MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3174
Re:Orion Cooker 2009/05/31 23:19:53 (permalink)
Welcome back Bingo.
Bingo969
Junior Burger
Re:Orion Cooker 2009/06/01 21:00:12 (permalink)
Thanks mate. See? I'm no alien. Honest. :)
DawnT
  • Total Posts : 1286
RE: Orion Cooker 2009/06/01 22:25:54 (permalink)
One of my dad' supervisiors had several "trash can" smokers that he used to use to cook for his BBQ's. This goes back to the 70's, long b4 Jeff's books or programs. Very simple contraption. Had kitty litter on the bottom to catch the grease with the old style hotplates that were a ceramic base with coiled wire in the grooves. On top of that was a cast iron pan w/o a handle sort of like a pie plate full of sand and wood chips. He had oversized bolts protruding into the can to support two grates which the meat was on. Fatty meat went on top to baste the leaner meat below. They made great Q and reflected his Kentucky background in the way he prepared it.

My main thought about the Orion is the speed. It takes low and slow to break down the collagen and render the fat at a slow level around 200-275 degrees. This sounds too hot and much too fast
agnesrob
  • Total Posts : 1790
RE: Orion Cooker 2009/06/02 07:25:03 (permalink)
Am I the only one who always misreads the title of this thread as "Onion" cooker?

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 13 of 16
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1