Orion Cooker

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 16
Author
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6385
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/09/12 17:34:14 (permalink)
Lucky,

You know it is like a bad auto crash and a bad penny, You can't get rid of it & you can't help but look!

MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3151
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/09/12 20:29:38 (permalink)
Bumping the thread?
In another month, the enthusiastic first time poster will be back. There will be a new name and after one post, two at the most, they'll disappear into an Internet quark or black hole, never to be heard from again
But never fear, when the planets are in alignment, the time space continuum will be breached and yet another one will slip by for a short but joyeous visit!
matilda
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 667
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/09/12 21:11:00 (permalink)
Yippee!!! Something to look forward to!!!!
so few comets
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/09/13 00:25:44 (permalink)
One reason I haven't posted a second time: anyone who is interested in techniques for using this cooker more effectively has to wade through a ton of bogus postings to find the grains of useful information strewn among the bushels of corn...
amini1
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 49
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/09/20 05:48:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by matilda

We would cook more when using kettles simply because they reach temp and stay there forever, except, I can't stand meat of any kind heated or reheated in the microwave. Blleackkkh. As I said earlier, I'm in need of replacing both my Ws, the big kettle and the little Smokey.

Get a Big Green Egg. They do everything from slow and low to high temps. You've probably read about them before. Everyone who talks about these appears to work for the company they hype them so much but they truly are that good.

On another note, we had a local (shady) butcher growing up that made a "Big Pep" burger. It was a large microwaved burger on a bun with lettuce, mayo, etc. Absolutely repulsive. To this day I "cook" very little in a microwave...I can't even believe they have a "pizza" button on some. Who reheats pizza in a microwave?

Orion Smoker? It sounds like it steams your food. Probably good for a few things like tea smoked duck but I wouldn't cook a brisket on it.
matilda
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/09/20 17:55:01 (permalink)
Did your Pappy have anything like this?

http://www.wltx.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=53703
CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/09/21 13:54:07 (permalink)
Moonshiners are a very creative group.

I have a contact down in the hills and hollers of ol Kan Tuck Ee, that runs his exhaust underground and pipes it out into a local stream. The water diffuses the smoke and no one knows it is right there so close to town.

Pappy, was never so creative, he just used the knowledge that the local law enforcement officers were some of his best customers, so even if they caught a whiff of the cooking process, they would just warn him in a off handed way like "Seems like the wind has switched and comin out of the north"

Which meant, Last night on patrol we noticed a wonderful aroma coming from your place, watch yourself!

Orion Lover
Junior Burger
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/10/12 05:10:10 (permalink)

MFL, what the heck is your problem? Why the negative vibes to all the first time posters singing the praises to the Orion?

I bought mine last week and have already cooked some of the best tasting and most tender ribs I have ever eaten. No lighter fluid smell or taste, just the great light smokey flavor of the wood chips that I added inside the cooking chamber. Also, Boston Butt and fish. I'm sure the chicken and turkey that I will be cooking tomorrow will be just as good.

Maybe you should get a life instead of sitting here posting hundreds and thousands of meaningless and negative posts without even trying a product! Do you use matches, or God forbid, a lighter to light your charcoal? Hmmmm, if you are true to your values I would suspect your answer to be that you use flint or even rub two sticks together.

Grow up and move into the 21st. century, MFL. Now, how does it feel to be attacked for no good reason?

Oh yeah, the Orion is everything that all the POSITIVE posts have said.

Tim Hunt
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/10/12 06:59:31 (permalink)

so few comets
Junior Burger
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/10/12 11:27:55 (permalink)
Orion Lover, MFL:

Cute! Its not the vitriol of the personal attack, its the time wasted plowing through the forum for any useful information.The Orion is very effective at producing fast, effortless tender and tasty meat. It is not and will never be barbecue -- but neither is the product of a gas grill IMHO.

I have found the Orion better for ribs, Boston Butt and Brisket than for chicken. If anyone does well with Chicken or Turkey please post the recipe / technique to this forum; thanks in advance for doing so.
Orion Lover
Junior Burger
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/10/12 13:56:32 (permalink)

So Few,
Tomorrow will be my first attempt at chicken. I will let you know if I hit on a good combination.

Tim
CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/10/12 18:57:25 (permalink)
MFL

I guess we just gotta break down and buy one MFL. If I do I probably never use my stick burners or cookshack again, I guess I will sell them and invest in an Orion.

MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/10/12 20:51:51 (permalink)
I'm thinking of selling my gas grill, electric water smoker, charcoal grill, glass topped range, electric skillets, cast iron frying pans, electric deep fryer, sticks, flints, my first born, and probably my house and Mrs MFL and open my new restaurant "Hundreds and Thousands of Meaningless and Negative Posts R Us" er "Orions R Us" and fight off the hordes of people beating down my door to get at my perfectly BBQ'd food. I probably will never have time to post here until I meet Ray Kroc up in heaven!

Baby I'm set to blast off!

Move over Hillary, Obama, Mitt, Rudy, Ron, Bill and allAn Orion in every house if you elect me!
matilda
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/10/12 21:13:20 (permalink)
It looks like a launch pad after lift-off.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4012
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/10/13 00:55:11 (permalink)
I thought it looked more like a hi-tech Mongolian Hot Pot.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2627
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/10/13 09:30:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Orion Lover

MFL, what the heck is your problem? Why the negative vibes to all the first time posters singing the praises to the Orion?

I bought mine last week and have already cooked some of the best tasting and most tender ribs I have ever eaten. No lighter fluid smell or taste, just the great light smokey flavor of the wood chips that I added inside the cooking chamber. Also, Boston Butt and fish. I'm sure the chicken and turkey that I will be cooking tomorrow will be just as good.

Maybe you should get a life instead of sitting here posting hundreds and thousands of meaningless and negative posts without even trying a product! Do you use matches, or God forbid, a lighter to light your charcoal? Hmmmm, if you are true to your values I would suspect your answer to be that you use flint or even rub two sticks together.

Grow up and move into the 21st. century, MFL. Now, how does it feel to be attacked for no good reason?

Oh yeah, the Orion is everything that all the POSITIVE posts have said.

Tim Hunt

Yeah. What he said.

MFL - The food I fed you 2 weeks ago all came from my fantastic Orion Barbecue Cooker. You didn't complain then.

Jim
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/10/13 12:26:48 (permalink)
Geez, I saw a Big Green Egg and a Weber water smoker but I somehow missed seeing the world's most perfect steamer. Jim, what makes it a BBQ Cooker? The concept is unclear to me. You load an entire 15# bag of quick light charcoal briquettes in the ring around the outside every time you use it and put your product on the inside and then it becomes BBQ'd? It sounds like an expensive variation of a pressure cooker to me.
http://www.orioncooker.com/
Incidentally a Google search found members of other BBQ forums complaining about first time posters raving about the Orion with one member stating that he doesn't mind someone shilling for a company but these guys take it to a new level. A few posts back I stated that because of the use of blatant shills I'd have a hard time trusting the company and I'll pass on ever purchasing it. If you want to change my criticism of a company's tactics into personal attacks, it just solidifies my disgust with the way this company operates.
Btw, I use a charcoal chimney to light my hardwood lump charcoal.
Orion Lover
Junior Burger
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/10/13 15:26:20 (permalink)
So Few Comets,

Well, the chicken was literally "fall off the bones tender". I cooked it too long and the whole chicken had literally broken apart into three pieces. The breast section and the two leg and thigh sections had fallen off of the cooking rack and dropped onto the rack below. It was still moist.

The time guide with the smoker suggested 70 minutes for a 3-4 pound chicken. My bird was seven pounds and here is what I did:

7 pound whole chicken.
Rubbed with olive oil and then seasoned with sea salt and ground pepper.
Apple juice in the liquid pan and apple wood chips around the edge.
Cooked for 120 minutes (which was too long). Next attempt will be cut by about 20 minutes.

I do minimum flavoring when cooking chicken so I was really pleased with the flavor.

Tim

P.S. Congrats MFL on even more classless posts. Keep up the good work!
so few comets
Junior Burger
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/10/13 15:45:38 (permalink)
Thanks O.L.

One can see that the quantity (not the quality) of posts is what earns a more prestigious avatar on this site.

I don't think anyone who has posted "shills" for Orion -- Orion's big break was a favorable write-up in the NY Times on a Sunday; and I know plenty of people who parboil ribs or precook them at low temperature in the oven prior to grilling -- all to balance flavor and texture against time and effort required. The Orion has let me enjoy on weeknights pleasure otherwise reserved for the weekend. I still use charcoal and hardwood when time permits but I am more interested in the pleasure of serving well prepared food than I am in being a purist or a fetishist about how it is prepared. Apologies to all for that bourgeois and utilitarian approach.

Similarly. I would much rather glean useful information from forum posts than to wade through the frat boy antics of folks who have too much time on their hands and too little imagination...
matilda
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/10/13 16:28:27 (permalink)
I find it unfathomable that two "Roadfood.com"ers were at the same function, eating the same food, that the food was cooked in said cooker and said cooker was never discussed. " />" />
porkbeaks
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2216
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/10/13 17:14:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Orion Lover

So Few Comets,

Well, the chicken was literally "fall off the bones tender". I cooked it too long and the whole chicken had literally broken apart into three pieces. The breast section and the two leg and thigh sections had fallen off of the cooking rack and dropped onto the rack below. It was still moist.

The time guide with the smoker suggested 70 minutes for a 3-4 pound chicken. My bird was seven pounds and here is what I did:

7 pound whole chicken.
Rubbed with olive oil and then seasoned with sea salt and ground pepper.
Apple juice in the liquid pan and apple wood chips around the edge.
Cooked for 120 minutes (which was too long). Next attempt will be cut by about 20 minutes.

I do minimum flavoring when cooking chicken so I was really pleased with the flavor.

Tim

P.S. Congrats MFL on even more classless posts. Keep up the good work!

Why in the world would you cook a 7 pound chicken for 2 hours when, according to the link in the original post, a 20 pound turkey takes 2 hour 15 minutes? pb
CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/10/13 19:38:11 (permalink)
I finally did it, after all these wonderful posts about the Orion Cooker, I went out and bought one.

I got it home and read the directions last night and got it ready to use today.

Today was a perfect day for BBQing.

After rereading the instructions again (I want to make sure I do it right)

I went into the kitchen and prepared the meat to be BBQ'd. My problem was that the instructions did not tell me how long to cook troll for?

So I poured the required FULL bag of charcoal in and lit it, set the troll in place and got ready for dinner.

It was absolutely amazing, 2 HOURS later I had the most tender and juicy troll that i have ever had.
This was a young troll, I don't like old troll it can be tough you know.

It was fall off the bone tender, I used some of Buddy Roadhouse's sauce, and wow what a meal.

Roasted Troll
Baked Potatoes
Roasted Sweet Corn

Pumpkin Pie for dessert

It was the beast (errr I meant BEST) dinner I have ever had, I am sorry I waited so long to break down and buy an Orion Cooker.

matilda
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/10/13 20:25:39 (permalink)
Did ya' save his feet for later? I've heard they're a great midnight snack.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2627
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/10/13 21:56:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by matilda

I find it unfathomable that two "Roadfood.com"ers were at the same function, eating the same food, that the food was cooked in said cooker and said cooker was never discussed. " />" />

Er, I hid the Orion so I wouldn't give away my secret to the other competitors. Thats my story, no cross examination or polygraphs allowed.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4012
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/10/14 18:32:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CajunKing

I finally did it, after all these wonderful posts about the Orion Cooker, I went out and bought one.

I got it home and read the directions last night and got it ready to use today.

Today was a perfect day for BBQing.

After rereading the instructions again (I want to make sure I do it right)

I went into the kitchen and prepared the meat to be BBQ'd. My problem was that the instructions did not tell me how long to cook troll for?

So I poured the required FULL bag of charcoal in and lit it, set the troll in place and got ready for dinner.

It was absolutely amazing, 2 HOURS later I had the most tender and juicy troll that i have ever had.
This was a young troll, I don't like old troll it can be tough you know.

It was fall off the bone tender, I used some of Buddy Roadhouse's sauce, and wow what a meal.

Roasted Troll
Baked Potatoes
Roasted Sweet Corn

Pumpkin Pie for dessert

It was the beast (errr I meant BEST) dinner I have ever had, I am sorry I waited so long to break down and buy an Orion Cooker.

Try a gnome next time. Gnome in the Orion is much better than gnome on the range.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/10/14 19:01:27 (permalink)
Owwwww!
Orion Lover
Junior Burger
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/10/15 17:32:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by so few comets

Thanks O.L.

One can see that the quantity (not the quality) of posts is what earns a more prestigious avatar on this site.

I don't think anyone who has posted "shills" for Orion -- Orion's big break was a favorable write-up in the NY Times on a Sunday; and I know plenty of people who parboil ribs or precook them at low temperature in the oven prior to grilling -- all to balance flavor and texture against time and effort required. The Orion has let me enjoy on weeknights pleasure otherwise reserved for the weekend. I still use charcoal and hardwood when time permits but I am more interested in the pleasure of serving well prepared food than I am in being a purist or a fetishist about how it is prepared. Apologies to all for that bourgeois and utilitarian approach.

Similarly. I would much rather glean useful information from forum posts than to wade through the frat boy antics of folks who have too much time on their hands and too little imagination...

Touché So Few. Touché.

Care to share any secrets on how you prepare/cook Boston Butt?
CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/10/16 16:12:06 (permalink)
I always inject mine with apple juice before I rub it then smoke it nice and slow with hickory.

matilda
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/10/16 16:33:54 (permalink)
I don't like Boston butt.
Kiowa1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 189
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/10/16 18:09:59 (permalink)
Personally, I think $150 is waaaay too much to spend on an Onion Cooker... or am I missing something here???...
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 16
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1