Orion Cooker

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 16
Author
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6394
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/11/27 23:51:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Orion Lover

quote:
Originally posted by CajunKing

quote:

TheNose and Cajun,

How do I view Cajun's Turkey Day meal? I am showing my computer ignorance here!

Tim

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23472

Thanks Don,

Can I and the Orion come eat with you next year??? That all looks great, especially the ham!

Tim

The door is always open, we'll talk about bringing the orion
Orion Lover
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 49
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/11/28 05:12:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Robearjr

Even though some of you Orion-ites or Orion-heads -whatever they call you people- are posting numerous times, you are still coming off as suspect. You only post on this thread. It is not like you post something about the Orion Cooker and then you post on the BBQ thread about some great BBQ joint in Alabama and then you post something in the Chicken thread about an old chicken shack that closed down in Florida.

Robearjr...

Most people just call me Tim. I do post on GamecockCentral.com from time to time concerning my beloved South Carolina Gamecocks. Does that count? Nah, I didn't think so. Thanks for chiming in.

Tim
RibRater
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1862
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/11/28 05:53:43 (permalink)
I see they are marketing a smaller unit now and calling it a turkey cooker for about half the price of the regular.
TheNose
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/11/28 06:36:30 (permalink)
quote:

Even though some of you Orion-ites or Orion-heads -whatever they call you people- are posting numerous times, you are still coming off as suspect. You only post on this thread. It is not like you post something about the Orion Cooker and then you post on the BBQ thread about some great BBQ joint in Alabama and then you post something in the Chicken thread about an old chicken shack that closed down in Florida.
TheNose
Junior Burger
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/11/28 06:47:55 (permalink)
quote:

I don't know why you are so paranoid. FYI, I did post my opionion on the best BBQ joints that I have been to. Go check, since you are a doubting Thomas. I am the only person who picked the Giddings Meat Market in that thread. I also commented on CKings Thanksgiving pictures. I'll continue to post, but only when I find other topics that interest me - not just for the sake of posting. Someday, I'll even post a receipe or two.

What are you afraid of?

Terry
Orion Lover
Junior Burger
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/11/28 07:16:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Larry - RibRater - Jay

I see they are marketing a smaller unit now and calling it a turkey cooker for about half the price of the regular.

Yeah, I heard about that but haven't actually seen one. I don't think I would want anything any smaller though. It may meet some people's needs but I like the larger one.

Tim
tbird1957rs
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/14 08:47:22 (permalink)
Let me get all the comments out of the way:newbie,shill,1st timer, etc. I landed here looking for recipes too. I apologize, let me use my manners.

Hi all, I am from North Carolina. My husband makes delicious barbecue and I make good ribs with what we have to cook on, whatever time we have, whatever meat, whatever spices we decide to use, whatever sauce we decide to make, even -gasp- doctored bottle sauce if we are out of our own and have little time and have a taste for barbecue.

My point is, barbecue is about the love, ya'll. And if you have the time and talent to do it the long, slow, secret sauce way, or not, it's the love that makes it shine! I have always wanted to get my husband a smoker. However, we are self employed with three businesses and one other full time job between us. He has always declined saying "I would only use it twice a year." So, I have ordered him an Orion for Christmas. He may hate it. My hope is that it will make tender butts and ribs as well as juicy turkey and chicken. We will have to spice it, add smoke or not as we desire. One thing will be sure though, we will add love.

tbird1957rs
SandwichSlinger
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/14 16:04:57 (permalink)
tbird....please let us know how you guys like it once you have used it!
TheNose
Junior Burger
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/14 16:24:52 (permalink)
I'm going to be getting one as a gift from a salesman next week. I'm looking forward to cooking my turkey in it instead of frying it. I'll prepare it the same way, jut cook it differently. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Russ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 2257
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/14 20:39:14 (permalink)
Ok I have found this post. I see the roadfood regulars have shunned this product and none of them have stepped up and bought one to give it a try. Making ribs in the thing seems like it would make a slushy rib with little flavor however the reviews say they are the best. I cant find anyone who says it did a bad job yet. But we have alot of skepticism as to the 1 time posters who seem to be writing from a prepared script supplied by the Orion company. I agree it seems a little strange. I fellow roadfood friends will be purchasing two of these units tommorow. Giving one to a very good friend and one for myself. With plans of using it on Sunday. I will be cooking ribs on the unit and maybe a pork butt. The ribs I think will have to be finished on the Grill but I will try them straight out of the unit as well. I will also learn how to upload pictures of my final products as well as an honest review.I will also go in as the optimist I always am. Wish me luck and success.......Russ
matilda
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 667
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/14 21:17:36 (permalink)
I got an American Tailgater magazine in the mail yesterday and the cooker was listed in there at $169.95. It also has two pictures of it cooking, one with the lid off pulling out the meat (ribs) and one showing the unit as it is cooking. Good shots. Better than I've seen before. The write-up says it uses "convection current" and "smokes and steams" at the same time. It comes with three grates, a poultry stand lifting handles and three rib hangers. 35" tall and 18" diameter fully assembled... .

americantailgater.com

They also have a motorized cooler scooter. You can ride it and it goes 13 mph.
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/15 08:36:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by matilda

I got an American Tailgater magazine in the mail yesterday and the cooker was listed in there at $169.95. It also has two pictures of it cooking, one with the lid off pulling out the meat (ribs) and one showing the unit as it is cooking. Good shots. Better than I've seen before. The write-up says it uses "convection current" and "smokes and steams" at the same time. It comes with three grates, a poultry stand lifting handles and three rib hangers. 35" tall and 18" diameter fully assembled... .

americantailgater.com

They also have a motorized cooler scooter. You can ride it and it goes 13 mph.

Doesn't it get a little warm in the saddle? A saw one at a Bass Pro Shop last week and was surprised at how large they are. Hope everyone gives us a report.
tbird1957rs
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/15 08:54:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by SandwichSlinger

tbird....please let us know how you guys like it once you have used it!

I will, and my husband doesn't even know that the product exists or about the controversy so he should be unbiased. And he will tell me the truth.It just seems like a way he can barbecue more often.
ppezalla
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 32
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/15 10:29:24 (permalink)
I have a Weber Smokey Mountain (great for ribs, pork butt and brisket), Weber charcoal grill (don't use it much), Weber gas grill (quick dinners), WoodFlame grill (burns a chuck of wood and gets very hot, great for steak), Cobb charcoal grill (use it indoors in the winter) but there is always room for another cooker.

I am tempted by the Orion because I would like to do briskets and pork butts in a reasonable time. With the Weber smoker, I start the day before and let them cook overnight. Good results but it does requie advance planning. The key questions are 1) does the quick cook in the Orion break down the connective tissue of the brisket and make it tender? and 2) does the fat render out of a pork butt and does it get any sort of crust?
Russ Jackson
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/17 09:08:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Jackson

Ok I have found this post. I see the roadfood regulars have shunned this product and none of them have stepped up and bought one to give it a try. Making ribs in the thing seems like it would make a slushy rib with little flavor however the reviews say they are the best. I cant find anyone who says it did a bad job yet. But we have alot of skepticism as to the 1 time posters who seem to be writing from a prepared script supplied by the Orion company. I agree it seems a little strange. I fellow roadfood friends will be purchasing two of these units tommorow. Giving one to a very good friend and one for myself. With plans of using it on Sunday. I will be cooking ribs on the unit and maybe a pork butt. The ribs I think will have to be finished on the Grill but I will try them straight out of the unit as well. I will also learn how to upload pictures of my final products as well as an honest review.I will also go in as the optimist I always am. Wish me luck and success.......Russ

I picked up 2 on saturday. I put mine together this morning at my shop. Looks pretty good. Only took about 15 minutes very simple. Either today or thursday I will do a Brisket in it first. I think a prime rib will work very well in this thing but I will try the brisket first.
Orion Lover
Junior Burger
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/18 04:41:38 (permalink)
quote:

Orion Lover
Junior Burger
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/18 04:47:07 (permalink)
quote:

Sorry for the post with no response above (I'm sure I will be accused of just getting my post numbers up). My mind isn't working at 4:45 AM yet. But anyway, let us know how your ribs turn out when you try them. Mine were great and not the least bit "slushy" and I didn't have to finish them on the grill either. I'm not a big fan of brisket but your idea of prime rib is very interesting!
Russ Jackson
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/18 09:57:06 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

Ok I have found this post. I see the roadfood regulars have shunned this product and none of them have stepped up and bought one to give it a try. Making ribs in the thing seems like it would make a slushy rib with little flavor however the reviews say they are the best. I cant find anyone who says it did a bad job yet. But we have alot of skepticism as to the 1 time posters who seem to be writing from a prepared script supplied by the Orion company. I agree it seems a little strange. I fellow roadfood friends will be purchasing two of these units tommorow. Giving one to a very good friend and one for myself. With plans of using it on Sunday. I will be cooking
ribs on the unit and maybe a pork butt. The ribs I think will have to be finished on the Grill but I will try them straight out of the unit as well. I will also learn how to upload pictures of my final products as well as an honest review.I will also go in as the optimist I always am. Wish me luck and success.......Russ

Sorry for the post with no response above (I'm sure I will be accused of just getting my post numbers up). My mind isn't working at 4:45 AM yet. But anyway, let us know how your ribs turn out when you try them. Mine were great and not the least bit "slushy" and I didn't have to finish them on the grill either. I'm not a big fan of brisket but your idea of prime rib is very interesting!

At 8:45 am and the Brisket is in the Orion. I put it in a Brine all night patted it dry and then put my Brown sugar rub on it. Internal temp was 65 degrees whe i put it in. I must say the thing does get hot. I ran a thermometer thru the handle hole in the top and sealed it up so I could track the internal temp.The brisket was just over 15 lbs. I cut it in 2 pieces with the larger section on the bottom.When it is done and eaten I will post the entire recipe good or bad with pics.
Russ Jackson
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/18 11:25:13 (permalink)
It is 11:00 and the internal temp is 125 still a little ways to go but seems to be doing fine. A little juices are dripping on the outside of the grill but no big deal.....Russ
matilda
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 667
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/18 11:32:19 (permalink)
Love the play-by-play! Can't wait for the results!!
Russ Jackson
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/18 12:18:49 (permalink)
At 12:00 the internal temp was at 156. I added a little charcoal as the level has gone down. It is windy and I think it is burning a little quicker than normal.....Staff is getting hungry but I think it will be done around 1 oclock plus rest time.....Russ
Orion Lover
Junior Burger
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/18 13:00:30 (permalink)
quote:

At 12:00 the internal temp was at 156. I added a little charcoal as the level has gone down. It is windy and I think it is burning a little quicker than normal.....Staff is getting hungry but I think it will be done around 1 oclock plus rest time.....Russ

Dang Russ! Just reading your posts is better than the frozen dinner that I brought for lunch. Can't wait to see how it turned out. Let us know.

Tim
porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2216
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/18 13:23:29 (permalink)
quote:

What is your target temp? pb
Russ Jackson
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/18 13:26:12 (permalink)
At 1:00 internal temp is at 171 looking for 185 staff is doubting me and getting irretated. LOL I told them to go to lunch if they cant wait but the will not get any if they do. They are not leaving as I have made them wait many times before. Plus thay are getting a free meal at my expense. Todays meal is being served with Baked Beans and Cole Slaw from 7 Gallon Hot Dog Sauce & Mr C's. (copycat) Famous http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23657 which is the best sweet slaw recipe I have ever had. With the adjustment I made to it.......Russ
Russ Jackson
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/18 14:37:52 (permalink)
Removed them at 2:15 it took 5 hours and 15 minutes to cook over 15 lbs of brisket never would have thought it was possible. They look amazing. Meat was pulling away when I removed them fron the unit. Seem very moist and dont think I will finish on the grill. Will serve with sauce on the side. Taste is the most important looks arnt everything but I think it will taste great. Smells great.....Russ
Orion Lover
Junior Burger
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/18 14:47:36 (permalink)
quote:

Removed them at 2:15 it took 5 hours and 15 minutes to cook over 15 lbs of brisket never would have thought it was possible. They look amazing. Meat was pulling away when I removed them fron the unit. Seem very moist and dont think I will finish on the grill. Will serve with sauce on the side. Taste is the most important looks arnt everything but I think it will taste great. Smells great.....Russ

Since I have never cooked brisket, how long would you have had to cook it using your usual method?

Tim
porkbeaks
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/18 14:55:29 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

Since I have never cooked brisket, how long would you have had to cook it using your usual method?

Tim

A whole beef brisket (packer cut) cooked low & slow at 200-225 to a target temp of 190-195 can take as long as 20 hours. The last time I did a whole one of 17 pounds it took 22 hours. I didn't pull it until it reached 200. ymmv, pb
Orion Lover
Junior Burger
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/18 15:02:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by porkbeaks

quote:

quote:

Tim

A whole beef brisket (packer cut) cooked low & slow at 200-225 to a target temp of 190-195 can take as long as 20 hours. The last time I did a whole one of 17 pounds it took 22 hours. I didn't pull it until it reached 200. ymmv, pb

HOLY SMOKES! (no pun intended) I had no idea! And what is "ymmv"?

Tim
porkbeaks
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/18 15:36:55 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by porkbeaks

quote:

quote:

Tim

HOLY SMOKES! (no pun intended) I had no idea! And what is "ymmv"?

Tim

your mileage may vary. pb
Russ Jackson
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/18 15:39:23 (permalink)
First let me say that this thing works! I am amazed! To those of you who are pessimistic or think this post is not true I wish you were here with my staff. Everyone of them said it was one of the best meals they have ever had.This would have taken me all night and all day to do in a smoker. And results would have been compariable. I am no newbie to the food world, cooking, or BBQ. Heck in 2000 I entered my BBQ sauce in a citywide competition and took first. Most people say my Ribs are second to none. I make mine sweet not vinegar based. All that said todays late Brisket lunch was Great on all standards,the smell,the presentation,with sauce, without sauce, and served with BBQ sauce and coleslaw on a bun. 10 people tried it and all 10 gave it a 10. I had my doubts ....no longer this is the real deal guys. Best $139 dollars I have spent in a long time. By the way the brisket was bought at WallMart last night at $2.29 a lb. All my staff could say is what are you cooking next and they also said it was well worth the wait. I will post the entire recipe tonite or tommorow including the rub and pictures. .......Have a Great Day Russ
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 16
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1