The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Orion Cooker

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 6 of 16, messages 151 to 180 of 456
porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2201
RE: Orion Cooker Tue, 12/18/07 5:28 PM (permalink)
The reviews I've read of this cooker all seem to be very positive. The only cons have been that it consumes large amounts of fuel and there is limited smoke generation. Comments? pb

ppezalla

RE: Orion Cooker Tue, 12/18/07 5:37 PM (permalink)
    Fuel comsumption sort of depends on how you look at it. 15-20lbs of charcoal for a 4-5hr cook is a lot but it would take that much to cook a brisket for 20hrs. So, in this case at least, the fuel cost per hour is high but the fuel cost per hunk of meat is reasonable.

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
      RE: Orion Cooker Tue, 12/18/07 6:01 PM (permalink)
      Recipe for Brisket in Orion Cooker.

Cut 15.57lb Brisket in half rinse and place in 5 gallon bucket.
      Prepare brine: In a large stock pot put 1 gallon beef stock. Add 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, 1 cup Kosher salt, 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes, 1 tablespoon whole peppercorns crushed lightly with a mortar and pestal. Bring to a boil. Let cool. Pour over brisket in bucket and cover with ice. Put in cool plce and make sure you have enough ice to keep till morning.

Remove from bucket rinse and pat dry with paper towels.
      Paint brisket with dark molasses and cover with dry rub.

Dry rub recipe:
      1 cup dark brown sugar packed
      6 tsp kosher salt (I use coarse red hawaiian salt now)
      2 tbs chili powder
      1 tsp ground black pepper
      1 tsp cayenne pepper
      1 tsp chipotle powder
      1 tsp old bay seasoning
      1 tsp rubbed thyme
      1 tsp onion powder
      2 tsp smoked paprika

mix together and cover briskets.
      let sit for an hour no more.

I put the larger brisket half on the bottom rack smaller one above fat side up.
      I removed the screw from one of the handles and fished thermometer probe thru hole and put in the lower thicker brisket. In the future I would not do two halves at the same time. I would just do one. Not that the smaller one was bad I just think it was a little overcooked. I didnt check it but I assume it may have reached a temperature of over 205 plus carry over. Stopping the larger one at 186 and removing and letting it sit for 40 minutes worked very well. The thinner one was good but the larger one was great.Personally I would never rely on time to cook I always use a probe thermometer. Why not it takes the guess work out. I also filled the pan half way with water this was way too much as it overflowed with the juices that the 2 briskets emmited. I used Hickory chips as recommended and the smoke flavor was excellent. The drip pan is a pain to get out especially full of juice. I will rig something to make this easier. Clean up wasnt bad.I was skepticle about this product and I really thought it might be a gimmick. I thought it would steam whatever you put in it. That is not the case. The meat came out looking so good I didnt finish it on the grill with some sauce. Product worked way better than I expected and lived up to the hype. Looking forward to trying some ribs in the thing. To my roadfood friends who are not believers .....put your money where your mouth is and enjoy. I wouldnt throw my smoker away but if you want to make a top quality 15lb brisket in 5 hours instead of 24 you will not be dissappointed.....Russ

Russ Jackson

RE: Orion Cooker Tue, 12/18/07 6:09 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by porkbeaks

The reviews I've read of this cooker all seem to be very positive. The only cons have been that it consumes large amounts of fuel and there is limited smoke generation. Comments? pb

pork, I used 18 lbs of charcoal. I used match light like it said however when I added more at the 2 hour mark I used standard.Seeing as no fumes get into the unit next time i will use 1 layer of the match light and top off with regular charcoal. I also set the thing in an area that was quite windy. If i had some cover I am positive I would have used far less and the cooking time would have been shorter. There was still alot of left over coals so I threw in 2 smoked precooked sausage and cooked them. Could have cooked another 2 hours I think...Russ

RibRater

• Total Posts: 1862
          RE: Orion Cooker Tue, 12/18/07 6:27 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Russ Jackson
          with pics.

Billhat

• Total Posts: 17
            RE: Orion Cooker Tue, 12/18/07 6:38 PM (permalink)
            I have cooked chickens ribs and turkey and never been disapointed with any of it but I was afraid to post here because I would be labled a shil.

Russ Jackson

RE: Orion Cooker Tue, 12/18/07 6:51 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Larry - RibRater - Jay

quote:
              with pics.

Pictures are comming as soon as daughter gets home.
              I am not sure if I have the computer skills to do it will wait for her.....Russ

Orion Lover

• Total Posts: 49
                RE: Orion Cooker Wed, 12/19/07 7:28 AM (permalink)
                quote:

quote:
                Originally posted by Larry - RibRater - Jay

quote:
                with pics.

Pictures are comming as soon as daughter gets home.
                I am not sure if I have the computer skills to do it will wait for her.....Russ

I like your idea of taking a handle off and running the thermometer probe through the hole. I think I will try that too, but to be honest, I have not been disappointed with anything by just following the recommended cook times. The only time I screwed up was when I tried to adjust the cook time too much. Looking forward to the pics. And I will be posting some pics of my holiday cooking later.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Tim

TheNose

• Total Posts: 29
                  RE: Orion Cooker Thu, 12/20/07 8:28 AM (permalink)
                  I was given one as a gift yesterday. I can't wait to try it. I'll post the results when I do. Hopefully some pictures too.

Terry

Russ Jackson

RE: Orion Cooker Thu, 12/20/07 7:35 PM (permalink)

These are the pictures of the process I hope you enjoy. Yesterday I chopped up the leftovers very fine and sauteed them in butter and olive oil. Mixed in some of my BBQ sauce and cooked until it was a little crusted then put it on a bun with cole slaw and more BBQ sauce. 24 sandwiches later and it is all gone and they want more. My daughter loaded the pictures for me and added one of her Sunflower shots. It makes a great Wallpaper.......Have a Great Day Russ

Russ Jackson

RE: Orion Cooker Thu, 12/20/07 7:52 PM (permalink)
                      Here is the slaw recipe. This is froma previous poster. It is a Great Recipe. I replied with the changes I made to it.
                      MR. C's FAMOUS YELLOW SLAW (copycat)

2 1/2 to 3 lb head of cabbage, shredded fine (squeeze out excess juice if too moist).
                      3/4 cup white granulated sugar
                      1/4 cup honey
                      1/2 cup plus 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
                      1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
                      1/2 teaspoon salt
                      1 teaspoon white pepper

Let set overnight in refregerator

The hot dog sauce recipe was give to me by a lady that ran a bar and grill in 50's and 60's in Kanawha City (East Charleston,WV)

The slaw recipe I duplicated through trial and error, it was used by Mr C's. Hotdogs located in North Charleston, downtown Charleston and Kanawha City (East Charleston, WV), it is also the same type of slaw that was used by The Dairy Post located in Marmet, WV

ENJOY THE RECIPES

Russ Jackson
                      Hamburger

81 Posts
                      Posted - 12/08/2007 : 16:07:06
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Cole Slaw recipe is fantastic.I put a little salt on the shredded cabbage to draw out some moisture and let it sit in a colinder for about an hour. I also used some raw course light brown cane sugar instead of the white granulated. And finally I added a teaspoon of dried Jalapeno peppers for some heat. Thanks alot it is now in my recipe book. Best sweet slaw recipe I have seen! Russ

TheNose

RE: Orion Cooker Thu, 12/20/07 7:57 PM (permalink)
                        Thanks for the pictures. That brisket looks good enought to eat. I can't wait to try cooking on mine.

Terry

PS

What's that white stuff on the ground? I'm running around in shorts down here in South Texas.

Russ Jackson

RE: Orion Cooker Sat, 12/22/07 10:59 AM (permalink)
                          The white stuff is snow...lol. Looking forward to your results.And the comments from the non believers. Where are they?....Russ

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3091
                            RE: Orion Cooker Sat, 12/22/07 12:04 PM (permalink)
                            Funny you mentioned that. Speaking for myself, I had problems with the owner posting here under an assumed name; something he was caught doing on several other message boards. I believe his posts were deleted. Later, this board got a number of postings by folks who had never posted before nor have they since. They only praised the Orion and were never heard from again. Not one post about BBQ in Texas, KC, Memphis or The Carolina's. Nada about whose hot dogs they loved best or was pork or beef a better choice for BBQ. Strange to never hear about anything BBQ from these BBQ fans except how great the Orion was. This was followed by the current batch of you posters who at least Russ Jackson I feel, is legit and quite possibly all of you are legitimate posters. At least for the first time, we've seen recipes, pictures and posts on other topics. Your brisket looks excellent and I'd have loved to have tasted it. Thanks for posting. I follow that George Bush fella's admonitions about "There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

Russ Jackson

RE: Orion Cooker Sat, 12/22/07 12:30 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

Funny you mentioned that. Speaking for myself, I had problems with the owner posting here under an assumed name; something he was caught doing on several other message boards. I believe his posts were deleted. Later, this board got a number of postings by folks who had never posted before nor have they since. They only praised the Orion and were never heard from again. Not one post about BBQ in Texas, KC, Memphis or The Carolina's. Nada about whose hot dogs they loved best or was pork or beef a better choice for BBQ. Strange to never hear about anything BBQ from these BBQ fans except how great the Orion was. This was followed by the current batch of you posters who at least Russ Jackson I feel, is legit and quite possibly all of you are legitimate posters. At least for the first time, we've seen recipes, pictures and posts on other topics. Your brisket looks excellent and I'd have loved to have tasted it. Thanks for posting. I follow that George Bush fella's admonitions about "There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

I agree Mil it seemed too good to believe. Thats why I had to buy one and try it. I would never say it beats low and slow on the brisket. The two are completely different methods and tastes. But I will say this that most people would have no Ideadhow to long cook a brisket. In the Orion you can make a world class brisket in your own backyard in 5 hours. And I will say it is better that most of the so called BBQ chains like Smokey Bones, or Texas Roadhouse. On January 5th I am doing a Turkey on the unit and going to smoke a ham the low and slow way. I will post pictures. I just bought a really nice Prime Rib maybe I will cook it on Christmas. And also I am no shill however I have played against many of them in poker rooms in my days......lol If someone was looking for a great Christmas gift for a lover of outdoor cooking you really cant go wrong......Have fun Russ

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3577
                                RE: Orion Cooker Sat, 12/22/07 1:02 PM (permalink)
                                Looks delicious, Russ!

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3091
                                  RE: Orion Cooker Sat, 12/22/07 2:59 PM (permalink)
                                  You know Russ, had your Orion post been the first we ever had heard of this product, I might have been a proud owner too! Seriously, it really does look good. Do you get a smoke ring with this?

porkbeaks

RE: Orion Cooker Sat, 12/22/07 4:03 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:

You know Russ, had your Orion post been the first we ever had heard of this product, I might have been a proud owner too! Seriously, it really does look good. Do you get a smoke ring with this?

I don't believe enough smoke penetrates the interior to even give the meat any flavor let alone a smoke ring. That's why it's called a cooker, rather than a smoker. pb

matilda

• Total Posts: 667
                                      RE: Orion Cooker Sat, 12/22/07 4:10 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:

quote:

I don't believe enough smoke penetrates the interior to even give the meat any flavor let alone a smoke ring. That's why it's called a cooker, rather than a smoker. pb

quote:

...I used Hickory chips as recommended and the smoke flavor was excellent. ...

porkbeaks

RE: Orion Cooker Sat, 12/22/07 4:22 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by matilda

quote:

quote:

Chech this review http://bbq.about.com/od/charcoalgrillreviews/gr/aapr102407a.htm

Note pros and cons.

matilda

RE: Orion Cooker Sat, 12/22/07 4:48 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:

quote:
                                          Originally posted by matilda

quote:

quote:

Chech this review http://bbq.about.com/od/charcoalgrillreviews/gr/aapr102407a.htm

Note pros and cons.

I suppose it comes down to a matter of taste. What works for Russ Jackson may not work for you or me. I do like a lot of smoke, but not at the expense of overwhelming the meat. I believe it's a delicate balance depending upon individual tastes and experimentation. I certainly can't develop an iron-clad opinion until I have tried the cooker and/or a product of its implementation. I would have to base any judgement, at this point, on the appraisals of trusted BBQ aficionado's, who also have firsthand experience.

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2370
                                            • Location: Pewaukee, WI & Fuquay-Varina, NC
                                            RE: Orion Cooker Mon, 12/24/07 11:21 AM (permalink)
                                            Orion IPO raised $78.8 million

All these investors must know something. It is time to admit I was wrong.

http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=1&date=12/24/2007&id=33456

Robearjr

• Total Posts: 1102
                                              RE: Orion Cooker Mon, 12/24/07 1:21 PM (permalink)
                                              I wonder if now that the IPO has gone through and the Christmas season is ending if this topic will go dormant. Perhaps the guerilla marketing effort will come to a close...at least until Orion needs more capital or the Father's Day shopping season begins.

TheNose

RE: Orion Cooker Mon, 12/24/07 2:19 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by Robearjr

I wonder if now that the IPO has gone through and the Christmas season is ending if this topic will go dormant. Perhaps the guerilla marketing effort will come to a close...at least until Orion needs more capital or the Father's Day shopping season begins.

Why are you so afraid of something new? I don't understand all the negativity on this forum.

Terry (soon to be posting results of cooking with an Orion)

SandwichSlinger

• Total Posts: 10
                                                  RE: Orion Cooker Tue, 12/25/07 10:09 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by JRPfeff

That Orion has as much to do with the Orion Cooker as Teddy Kennedy does to sobriety.

porkbeaks

• Location: Hoschton/Braselton, GA
                                                    RE: Orion Cooker Tue, 12/25/07 10:20 PM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by SandwichSlinger

quote:
                                                    Originally posted by JRPfeff

That Orion has as much to do with the Orion Cooker as Teddy Kennedy does to sobriety.

http://www.oriones.com/home.html

TheNose

RE: Orion Cooker Wed, 12/26/07 6:34 AM (permalink)
                                                      The turkey I cooked in my new Orion was by far the best turkey I've ever eaten. I'll post pictures when I get time. 8 people raved about it. My wife and daughter said it was good, but they like their turkey dry and this was too juicy. These are the same two that like their steaks like dried leather.

Again, I'll post pictures later.

Billhat

• Total Posts: 17
                                                        • Location: Palm City, FL
                                                        RE: Orion Cooker Wed, 12/26/07 6:56 AM (permalink)
                                                        I have a Orion cooker and love it, turkeys come out juicy, but the skin not real crisp, ribs are great pulled pork ect. I just got a Big Easy for Christmas and did a turkey 2hr 14lbs and it was great. I will include pictures as soon as i find out how.

TheNose

• Location: Victoria, TX
                                                          RE: Orion Cooker Wed, 12/26/07 8:41 AM (permalink)
                                                          Do you have to be a member of RoadFood Insider to post pictures?

Terry

matilda

• Location: Port Royal, SC
                                                            RE: Orion Cooker Wed, 12/26/07 9:00 AM (permalink)

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 6 of 16, messages 151 to 180 of 456

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com