Orion Cooker

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 16
Author
porkbeaks
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2217
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/26 10:23:22 (permalink)
Just found this video. I can finally understand how the cooker can smoke. I think I'm about convinced to give it a try. pb
[url='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RNNP2sLTOE&feature=related']Click here[/url]
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6426
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/26 11:04:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TheNose

Do you have to be a member of RoadFood Insider to post pictures?

Terry

You don't have to be an insider. Try using Photobucket.com.

TheNose
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/26 11:09:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Davydd

quote:

Do you have to be a member of RoadFood Insider to post pictures?

Terry

You don't have to be an insider. Try using Photobucket.com.

Thanks. The post previous to yours pointed me to the instructions. I will post the pictures when I get off work, because the photo upload sites are blocked by my companies firewall.

Terry.
TheNose
Junior Burger
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/26 19:32:57 (permalink)
Here are the photos of my first experience with the Orion. The taste was the best I've ever done.

This is my home made injection liquid.

Inside of Orion. Drip pan lined with foil and surrounded by apple wood chips.

Turkey going into the Orion.

Lit the self starting charcoal.

After about one hour.

One hour, 45 minutes, open the lid.

Lots of smoke.

Coming out.

The pies are a little over done, but still quite good.

I'll put the injection fluid receipe on later. My brother and his son who is a professional chef created it.

Terry

TheNose
Junior Burger
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/26 19:36:12 (permalink)
This receipe is for frying turkies, but it worked great for cooking in the Orion too. This is really good.

Terry

Mike Smith's Cajun Style Deep Fried Turkey

Ingredients: For Injection mixture

5 Tablespoons Tony Chachere's Salt Free Cajun Seasoning

4 Tablespoons Chef Paul's Poultry Seasoning

2 Tablespoons Zatarain's Powdered Crab Boil

2 Tablespoons Garlic Powder

1 Stick Unsalted Butter

4 1/2 Cups low sodium chicken broth

Recipe:

While stirring, bring all the ingredients except the butter to a boil. Let the ingredients cool and refrigerate overnight so that the water absorbs the seasoning.

Bring the mixture back to a boil while stirring, then strain the mixture (cheese cloth will work or a fine meshed sieve) to remove the large pieces of seasoning to keep the syringe needle from plugging.

Melt the stick of butter in the ingredients. When the mixture is cool enough to put into the syringe, you are ready to begin injecting the turkey. Inject the seasoning throughout the bird at different depths, using the full amount of liquid mixture.

Coat the bird inside and out with additional Tony Chachere's and Chef Paul's Seasonings. Cover and refrigerate the Turkey overnight.

Heat Peanut Oil to 325 deg F. Put the Turkey into a basket and "Slowly" insert into the oil. Fry for about 4 minutes per pound at 275 deg F. A 10 to 15 lb turkey is the best size for frying.

Caution:

Do not fry inside the house.

Do not let the oil get too hot.

JMS
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/27 08:53:41 (permalink)
If I wanted to mess with charcoal that way I think I would buy a cast iron Dutch oven, the kind with the short legs and top lid lip for putting coals on. But if I were to buy an Orion I would sign up with a new account here and post one message about it.
TheNose
Junior Burger
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/27 09:11:02 (permalink)
quote:

If I wanted to mess with charcoal that way I think I would buy a cast iron Dutch oven, the kind with the short legs and top lid lip for putting coals on. But if I were to buy an Orion I would sign up with a new account here and post one message about it.

I think the reason people don't stick around after posting is because of posters like yourself that are so negative and hateful. I am just trying to share my experiece and all you want to do is to try to prove some stupid point about spammers. I think all you want to do is to raise your post count because you don't have anything meaningful to say. Keep living in the dark ages. And, by the way, the Wright brothers have invented a flying machine. Don't know if you believe it or not, but it's true.

Terry
Billhat
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/27 09:22:16 (permalink)
I am with you there Terry, I have not made many posts because of just that negative response, your turkey looked great!
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/27 09:37:49 (permalink)
Terry,

I read the whole thread including yours and Russ' report (legit Roadfooder) and have concluded it is more trouble than it is worth. It is that simple. You seem to be on Roadfood.com to do nothing but shill Orion as did many other one posters to the point you all made it a trolling joke. Like I said, after seeing the reports and efforts I think I would rather experiment with a cast iron Dutch oven, cheaper, more compact, more interesting and more versatile.
Russ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 2257
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/27 11:16:04 (permalink)
Terry it looks like your first attempt turned out excellent. I see you used the probe thermometer trick. The unit did exactly what it was supposed to do and performed better than you expected. I know mine did. Like I said earlier the only reason I bought one was strickly out of curiousity and I am glad I did. In response to Davy. You hit it right on the head it is like an old fashioned dutch oven. However I dont know how you would fit an entire brisket or turkey in it and keep the bottom from burning. Also look at the color of that bird amazing and I bet it looked great on the table. As to being trouble it is actually one of the easiest no maintence ways of cooking I have ever used. Remember that I cooked an entire 15lb brisket in 5 hours and served one of the best briskets I have ever had. My staff asks everyday whats next?.....anyway Happy New Year all. Have a Great Day Russ

Also the unit cooks similar to the http://www.lacajachina.com/ which is used to roast an entire pig.I will be ordering one soon....lol
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/27 11:49:52 (permalink)
That turkey looks very good to me
TheNose
Junior Burger
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/27 12:22:53 (permalink)
Davydd - you don't know what you're missing. I was given this as a gift from a tool salesman that calls on me. He nor I have anything to do with Orion other than using their product. This turkey was the best tasting and juiciest turkey I've ever eaten, with the benefit of being the easiest to cook. I've fried turkies for the last 10 years, but I will not be frying them again. This was too easy and the results were excellent.

Russ - I liked your thermometer trick. It was actually reading 180 about 10 minutes before the suggested cooking time was up. I let it go the full hour and 45 min. just to be sure. The thermometer was more for a warm/fuzzy effect. No, the turkey could not fit in or be cooked in a Dutch oven. The words "cabin fever" come to mind.

Billhat - Don't give up on posting. The postive will overcome the negative in due time.

Johh A - Thanks for the support. It was very good! Wish I could share it online.

As a side note, my wife asked me to cook a brisket this coming weekend, even though she said the turkey was too juicy. I can't wait.

Anyone want pictures if I do?

Happy New Year and keep on cooking.

Terry
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5230
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/27 15:32:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Jackson

These are the pictures of the process I hope you enjoy.

Do you have any photos of brisket after slicing?

Brad
Russ Jackson
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/27 15:34:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Brad_Olson

quote:

These are the pictures of the process I hope you enjoy.

Do you have any photos of brisket after slicing?

Brad

No I didnt take any of the cut product.But it was very moist and pulled apart nicely. It was not mushy at all it was like a brisket should be
...sorry Russ
SandwichSlinger
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/27 15:56:49 (permalink)
Careful with the link to lacajachina, Russ.....the close minded around here might think that you are a shill for them, now!!
By the way, I have a brisket on right now (a small 3 pounder). I will let you know how it turns out (I have never smoked a brisket before, btw)

Brad
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/27 16:46:58 (permalink)
quote:

Davydd - you don't know what you're missing.
Terry

Well, I have priorities and a Dutch oven for our RV travels holds more interest for me right now. I've been there with the home brewing and deep frying turkeys. Also, I just got turned onto backyard wood fired pizza ovens so the Orion cooker will remain a distant consideration for me.
TheNose
Junior Burger
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/27 18:20:45 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

Terry

Well, I have priorities and a Dutch oven for our RV travels holds more interest for me right now. I've been there with the home brewing and deep frying turkeys. Also, I just got turned onto backyard wood fired pizza ovens so the Orion cooker will remain a distant consideration for me.

Can you recommend some good Dutch oven receipes? My wife gave me one for our anniversary in September, but I've not tried it yet.

Terry
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/27 20:54:18 (permalink)
My reference is here for Dutch oven cooking.

http://www.lsdos.com/outdoor.html

There is a lot more online with a simple Googling.

However, if you want printed reference the best quick source I found was an REI Coop store. The last time I looked I found 5 books on Dutch oven cooking there.

Russ Jackson
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/28 08:53:01 (permalink)
quote:

However, if you want printed reference the best quick source I found was an REI Coop store. The last time I looked I found 5 books on Dutch oven cooking there.

I think Davy is a shill for the Lodge cast Iron company.His 1866 posts all refer to a cast iron Dutch Oven. Are you on the Lodge payroll?......Russ
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/28 08:57:20 (permalink)
If he is a shill for anything it has to be the pork tenderloin sandwich industry
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/28 09:15:15 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

I think Davy is a shill for the Lodge cast Iron company.His 1866 posts all refer to a cast iron Dutch Oven. Are you on the Lodge payroll?......Russ

You got it wrong Russ. It's ChefMate.

Truth be told I don't even have a Dutch oven. It is just a desire at this time waiting in line behind deep frying pork tenderloins and baking pizza.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/28 09:23:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by John A

If he is a shill for anything it has to be the pork tenderloin sandwich industry

I have absolutely no connections with anyone in any food industry. Every pork tenderloin sandwich I have eaten in a restaurant I paid for with the exception of one where I was invited to visit (the Farmer's Kitchen in Atlantic, IA). I am totally independent and if you have been to my website you will see it is totally commercial free. That's my disclosure.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/28 10:10:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by JRPfeff

I don't need no stinking Orion, the Rocket Roaster has landed.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=6529105

And it comes with Flavor Infusers!!!
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/28 11:01:07 (permalink)
quote:

Terry it looks like your first attempt turned out excellent. I see you used the probe thermometer trick. The unit did exactly what it was supposed to do and performed better than you expected. I know mine did. Like I said earlier the only reason I bought one was strickly out of curiousity and I am glad I did. In response to Davy. You hit it right on the head it is like an old fashioned dutch oven. However I dont know how you would fit an entire brisket or turkey in it and keep the bottom from burning. Also look at the color of that bird amazing and I bet it looked great on the table. As to being trouble it is actually one of the easiest no maintence ways of cooking I have ever used. Remember that I cooked an entire 15lb brisket in 5 hours and served one of the best briskets I have ever had. My staff asks everyday whats next?.....anyway Happy New Year all. Have a Great Day Russ

Also the unit cooks similar to the http://www.lacajachina.com/ which is used to roast an entire pig.I will be ordering one soon....lol

Russ,

Caja Chinas (china boxes) are very common down here. (the company of that name is right up the road)

The complaint that I have about them is that the pig ends up with zero smoke/fire flavor. It is just like roasting it in an oven. It is convenient, though.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/28 11:10:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MIAMIDON

quote:

Russ,

Caja Chinas (china boxes) are very common down here. (the company of that name is right up the road)

The complaint that I have about them is that the pig ends up with zero smoke/fire flavor. It is just like roasting it in an oven. It is convenient, though.

Oops, I see that they now offer a $50 electric smoke generator attachment. They say that the cartridges will produce smoke for four hours. I'll have to tell my neighbor with the caja china about a new toy he needs.
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/28 13:20:28 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by John A

I have absolutely no connections with anyone in any food industry. Every pork tenderloin sandwich I have eaten in a restaurant I paid for with the exception of one where I was invited to visit (the Farmer's Kitchen in Atlantic, IA). I am totally independent and if you have been to my website you will see it is totally commercial free. That's my disclosure.

And you're sticking to it.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6559
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/28 15:27:33 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

Terry

Can you recommend some good Dutch oven receipes? My wife gave me one for our anniversary in September, but I've not tried it yet.

Terry

A good basic beginner book on dutch oven and cast iron cooking is

Cast Iron Cooking for Dummies

I have worn my copy ragged
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6559
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/28 15:31:48 (permalink)
Davydd

You need a dutchie

It can be a great thing while rv'in and as Alton Brown says "it is a multi-tasker"
You can deep fry your own breaded tenderloins in it or some REALLY good chicken fried steak or chicken fried chicken.

You could even bake your pizza in one too!!!!!!
Russ Jackson
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/28 15:41:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CajunKing

Davydd

You need a dutchie

It can be a great thing while rv'in and as Alton Brown says "it is a multi-tasker"
You can deep fry your own breaded tenderloins in it or some REALLY good chicken fried steak or chicken fried chicken.

A Dutch Oven is manditory in any kitchen and maybe the best multitasker in the kitchen. I could go on for hours about a Dutch Oven. Next to the cast iron skillet it is the most important versitle piece of cooking equipment in the kitchen. When Davy attacked the Orion and then reveiled that he didnt even own a Dutch Oven his credibility was shot. Nothing else needs to be said......Russ
porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2217
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/28 16:02:15 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by CajunKing

Davydd

You need a dutchie

A Dutch Oven is manditory in any kitchen and maybe the best multitasker in the kitchen. I could go on for hours about a Dutch Oven. Next to the cast iron skillet it is the most important versitle piece of cooking equipment in the kitchen. When Davy attacked the Orion and then reveiled that he didnt even own a Dutch Oven his credibility was shot. Nothing else needs to be said......Russ

[url='https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1.asp?menu=logic&idProduct=3948']This[/url] Lodge Dutch Oven is a great item and good buy at well under $100. Another option is a doufeu; a type of Dutch oven that is made for braising with the concave lid. Unfortunately, this "Le Creuset Oval Doufeu 7 1/4 quart" example goes for about $250. I got a smaller one on sale a few years ago and really like it. pb

"While the clever design of our self-basting oven will impress guests, the entrée taste and tenderness will leave them in awe. Smart yet simple, the top of the lid cradles ice cubes. As condensation forms, tiny dimples on the underside evenly baste your roast or poultry. The technology will mean the difference between "good" and "spectacular"."
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 16
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1