Orion Cooker

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 16
Author
TheNose
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 29
  • Joined: 2007/11/26 11:39:00
  • Location: Victoria, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/28 16:58:18 (permalink)
quote:


A good basic beginner book on dutch oven and cast iron cooking is

Cast Iron Cooking for Dummies

I have worn my copy ragged


I just ordered one from Amazon.com. I looks like a really good book, with lots of receipes. Thanks!

Terry
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
  • Joined: 2006/01/27 07:19:00
  • Location: Daytona Beach, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/28 17:34:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Jackson

quote:
Originally posted by CajunKing

Davydd

You need a dutchie

It can be a great thing while rv'in and as Alton Brown says "it is a multi-tasker"
You can deep fry your own breaded tenderloins in it or some REALLY good chicken fried steak or chicken fried chicken.

You could even bake your pizza in one too!!!!!!


A Dutch Oven is manditory in any kitchen and maybe the best multitasker in the kitchen. I could go on for hours about a Dutch Oven. Next to the cast iron skillet it is the most important versitle piece of cooking equipment in the kitchen. When Davy attacked the Orion and then reveiled that he didnt even own a Dutch Oven his credibility was shot. Nothing else needs to be said......Russ


A guy with a post that has over 98,000, that's right, over 98,000, responses has a hell of a lot of credibility in my book.

http://roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=423
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
  • Joined: 2007/11/28 14:42:00
  • Location: Xenia
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/28 19:00:37 (permalink)
I am confused about the 98,000...Russ
matilda
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 667
  • Joined: 2007/01/25 15:56:00
  • Location: Port Royal, SC
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/28 19:06:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Jackson

I am confused about the 98,000...Russ


I'm glad I'm not alone.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6360
  • Joined: 2005/04/24 12:15:00
  • Location: Tonka Bay, MN
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/28 22:39:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Jackson

quote:
Originally posted by CajunKing

Davydd

You need a dutchie

It can be a great thing while rv'in and as Alton Brown says "it is a multi-tasker"
You can deep fry your own breaded tenderloins in it or some REALLY good chicken fried steak or chicken fried chicken.

You could even bake your pizza in one too!!!!!!


A Dutch Oven is manditory in any kitchen and maybe the best multitasker in the kitchen. I could go on for hours about a Dutch Oven. Next to the cast iron skillet it is the most important versitle piece of cooking equipment in the kitchen. When Davy attacked the Orion and then reveiled that he didnt even own a Dutch Oven his credibility was shot. Nothing else needs to be said......Russ

Sorry Russ, I do have an enamel Dutch oven in the kitchen and have used it numerous times. I was speaking of the cast iron kind you use with charcoal under and on the lid or even over a wood campfire. So what is that about credibility? How many of the first time posters in this thread have even been on another thread in Roadfood.com and what is the motivation being here other than to shill and troll? Unfortunately, a Roadfood regular innocently started this thread with a question and it turned into troll central real quick.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6360
  • Joined: 2005/04/24 12:15:00
  • Location: Tonka Bay, MN
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/28 22:57:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by John A

quote:
Originally posted by Davydd

quote:
Originally posted by John A

If he is a shill for anything it has to be the pork tenderloin sandwich industry

I have absolutely no connections with anyone in any food industry. Every pork tenderloin sandwich I have eaten in a restaurant I paid for with the exception of one where I was invited to visit (the Farmer's Kitchen in Atlantic, IA). I am totally independent and if you have been to my website you will see it is totally commercial free. That's my disclosure.



And you're sticking to it.


Yep. It's my hobby and one great way to find road food in the most surprising and unsuspecting places. Same with walleye sandwiches, pie, pizza, breakfast, stew and whatever else might strike my fancy soon. I'm almost afraid of BBQ. That could take a lifetime but mainly because my home base of Minneapolis/St. Paul is not really known for BBQ but the pulled pork sandwich intrigues me. I've never been much of a hamburger man but am thinking of making the rounds of the Jucy Lucy burgers in the Twin Cities and come to my own conclusions. There are cheesesteaks, ruebens, and hotdogs waiting for discovery but others are much more expert in those. That's my story and I am sticking to it.
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
  • Joined: 2006/01/27 07:19:00
  • Location: Daytona Beach, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/29 07:09:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Jackson

I am confused about the 98,000...Russ


Opps, my bad. I thought Davydd authored the Pork Tenderloins post in the Sandwich thread.
TheNose
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 29
  • Joined: 2007/11/26 11:39:00
  • Location: Victoria, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/29 09:31:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Davydd So what is that about credibility? How many of the first time posters in this thread have even been on another thread in Roadfood.com and what is the motivation being here other than to shill and troll? Unfortunately, a Roadfood regular innocently started this thread with a question and it turned into troll central real quick.


You just won't let it go, will you? I'm a legit poster, I've posted a few posts on other threads and I like the Orion. This thread is where I post most because I find it interesting. You and your "shill and troll" talk tell me that you don't do anything but complain. Then,you brag on the Dutch oven and later admit you don't even have one. It seems as if you don't have one then it's wrong. I've had my Orion since Christmas, cooked on it once and I'm anxious to cook with it again. It is absoulutly the easiest, best food that I've found yet. I'll be 61 in about a week, so I've been around, but I'm not afraid to try something new. And I surely not going to bad mouth something that I don't know anything about.

I also post on and am one of the first members of TheGSResources.com if you want to go there and check my credibility as a poster. I came here looking for info on the Orion, found a great forum with a lot of potential. I'll find my way to other threads, but that takes time. In the meantime, go up to the U.P. and get yourself a good pastie to help thaw your brain.

Terry
Billhat
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
  • Joined: 2007/07/04 07:53:00
  • Location: Palm City, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/29 09:38:54 (permalink)
Now you see why I stopped.
TheNose
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 29
  • Joined: 2007/11/26 11:39:00
  • Location: Victoria, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/29 10:38:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Billhat

Now you see why I stopped.


I'm almost afraid to go to other threads and find more negativity. But, I'll keep an open mind.

Terry
firsttimer
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Joined: 2007/12/29 16:49:00
  • Location: sierra vista, AZ
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/29 17:26:49 (permalink)
Another thing about the cooker. It does take alot of charcoal and I've heard a lot of griping about the match light. There's always more than one way to skin a cat. I start my charcoal in a big ol bucket with newspaper and then pour them into the cooker. I don't do this because of the gas flavor, but because it's alot cheaper. I've never had any trouble getting a smoked flavor with the wood chips which smoke for hours sometimes I get to much smoke flavor and I can't figure out how someone can put in the chips and not get the smoke. It is what it is. It says right on the box it is a "cooker" It uses convection, heat and steam. The fact that you can put in chips is a plus, but I like to be able to put my turkey in while I'm outside drinking a cold one instead of the inside the kitchen. Turkey cooks fast and is tender. I even know what the temperature is inside while it cooks. Do you people who have never tried it know that. And no I don't work for and I'm not related in any way to the makers of it. I'd like to hear some negative feedback from someone who owns one!
RibRater
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1862
  • Joined: 2006/03/03 13:55:00
  • Location: Johnson City, TN
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/29 17:45:36 (permalink)
This thread was cleaned once already..let's try to keep things positive and factual. OT posts will be removed.

And to the new members...welcome.
TXBDYGUARD
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Joined: 2007/12/29 23:27:00
  • Location: Round Rock, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/29 23:34:16 (permalink)
Yeah I am a first timer. My uncle in law told me bout this cooker last week. On a whim I went by Home Depot today and picked one up for $139. I bought a 9# bag of regular briquettes (not the match lights). I put the 15# bird in and 2hrs and 20min later I had a wonderful pecan smoked bird that was moist and tasty. I can't wait to do a boston butt. And for any doubters I can show you a receipt I bought it today. I have used all types of cookers and smokers. I own 8 different kinds total. It steams and cooks with smoke. Its a great idea and it works.
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
  • Joined: 2007/11/28 14:42:00
  • Location: Xenia
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/30 07:24:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Larry - RibRater - Jay

This thread was cleaned once already..let's try to keep things positive and factual. OT posts will be removed.

And to the new members...welcome.


Larry what you should do is go over to your local Home Depot shell out the $139.00 like I did. Put something in the thing. Spark it up!Invite some of the roadfood doubters over. Tip a few cold ones and enjoy a good meal.I guess it will take someone with an administrator tag to review one of these things before it is accepted.Do you realize that in all my searches on this product I couldnt find one bad review. And dont forget that there are about 2200 Home Depots and I am sure each one of them has sold a 100 units each. Again I say THIS IS A GREAT PRODUCT. EXCELLENT RESULTS.EASY TO USE.FOOLPROOF.COOL TO LOOK AT.I hope I dont hear a nother negative about this product unless it is from someone who has actually used the product and had a bad result.I dont think we will.And I wish luck to the Orion Company. In closing if these posters are employed by Orion they sure are loyal and believe in there product,company,and owner and that my friends is a rare commidity in todays word......Russ
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
  • Joined: 2007/11/28 14:42:00
  • Location: Xenia
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/30 08:02:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

I'm thinking of selling my gas grill, electric water smoker, charcoal grill, glass topped range, electric skillets, cast iron frying pans, electric deep fryer, sticks, flints, my first born, and probably my house and Mrs MFL and open my new restaurant "Hundreds and Thousands of Meaningless and Negative Posts R Us" er "Orions R Us" and fight off the hordes of people beating down my door to get at my perfectly BBQ'd food. I probably will never have time to post here until I meet Ray Kroc up in heaven!

Baby I'm set to blast off!

Move over Hillary, Obama, Mitt, Rudy, Ron, Bill and all
An Orion in every house if you elect me!


After all your negative posts on this product I feel to reedeem yourself you need to go out and purchase one and give a review yourself. I wonder how many people googled orion and found this thread and thought it was a gimmick like I almost did and decided not to buy one.Alot of you have spent months slamming this product without any regard for the truth. I would think that true food lovers would jump at the chance to try a new method. Then use there expertize and share the rusults good or bad. Some guy stumbles on a new way to cook that is easy, fun, and effective. Then we shun the results without merrit. What started as fun could end up costing an american company its business. I wish the owner would send a few of you a unit so you could try it with open eyes and give it a review. I am sure the thought has crossed his mind but he was scared you might post pictures of how you defaced it. But I am afraid it may be true that an OLD DOG cant learn new tricks. I will continue to post results and recipes each time I use my Orion. Proud owner of an Orion Cooker......Russ
RibRater
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1862
  • Joined: 2006/03/03 13:55:00
  • Location: Johnson City, TN
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/30 08:45:14 (permalink)
russ..unfortunately for me I'm in a condo for the next 8 months. Had to sell my offset and the only smoking I'm doing is in a cookshack. It's ok but I can't get into sitting in front of it and knocking back some cold ones.

Once I get the youngest off to college in the fall I'm back in a house and plan to try this unit out BUT if the orion company wants to send me one gratis in the meantime I'll find a way to put it through the ringer...with plenty of pictures to boot ;-)

TheNose
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 29
  • Joined: 2007/11/26 11:39:00
  • Location: Victoria, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2007/12/30 09:41:31 (permalink)
One negative aspect of the Orion is the fact that the smoke stays inside. I sat next to it because it was my first time cooking with it and I missed the wonderful aroma that comes from frying a turkey. I do like smelling whatever is cooking, but the results far outweight not being able to. I guess the proof is in the pudding.

Terry
Orion Lover
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 49
  • Joined: 2007/10/12 04:53:00
  • Location: Greer, SC
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/01/02 17:22:45 (permalink)
CajunKing...check your e-mail please. I sent pics of my results!

Tim
matilda
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 667
  • Joined: 2007/01/25 15:56:00
  • Location: Port Royal, SC
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/01/02 17:27:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Orion Lover

CajunKing...check your e-mail please. I sent pics of my results!

Tim


We want to see them, too!
Orion Lover
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 49
  • Joined: 2007/10/12 04:53:00
  • Location: Greer, SC
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/01/02 19:45:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by matilda

quote:
Originally posted by Orion Lover

CajunKing...check your e-mail please. I sent pics of my results!

Tim


We want to see them, too!
Orion Lover
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 49
  • Joined: 2007/10/12 04:53:00
  • Location: Greer, SC
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/01/02 19:46:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Orion Lover

quote:
Originally posted by matilda

quote:
Originally posted by Orion Lover

CajunKing...check your e-mail please. I sent pics of my results!

Tim


We want to see them, too!


Cajun said he would post them for me. I don't have da brains!
matilda
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 667
  • Joined: 2007/01/25 15:56:00
  • Location: Port Royal, SC
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/01/02 20:01:21 (permalink)
Now, now, sure you do!!
TheNose
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 29
  • Joined: 2007/11/26 11:39:00
  • Location: Victoria, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/01/02 20:09:16 (permalink)
The second time I used my Orion, I cooked this brisket. I was very leary of only cooking it for 3 hours, thinking it would be tough, but it came out very tender. It wasn't crusty on the outside and I missed that, but the flavor was very good. I didn't get much of a smoke ring, and I would have liked more of the smoke flavor, but I think I was partly to blame by covering the wood chips with foil. Here are the pictures.



Raw with rub ready to start.



Started charcoal.



Came back three hours later.



Lots of smoke.



Smoke clears, looks good.



Sliced-very tender, alas, no smoke ring and no crust, but still very moist and tasty.

I'll do it again. Very fast, very tender, very easy. I've eaten BBQ at Kruez's, Smitty's and Blacks in Lockhart, at City Meat Market in Luling and my favorite at City Meat Market in Giddings, and this doesn't compare with them, but it is still very good.

Terry



TXBDYGUARD
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Joined: 2007/12/29 23:27:00
  • Location: Round Rock, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/01/02 23:59:54 (permalink)
Terry,

You mentioned some hefty competition there with the folks in Lockhart, Luling, and Giddings. I have eaten at all of these places. I have cooked a pork butt and turkey but no beef YET! I will give it a whirl soon. I will miss the crust but I guess its healthier if you don't have crust.

Charlie
Orion Lover
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 49
  • Joined: 2007/10/12 04:53:00
  • Location: Greer, SC
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/01/03 06:11:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by matilda

Now, now, sure you do!!

Wish I did have the know-how matilda! Hey, I see you are from SC. I'm from upstate SC myself! Howdy neighbor!
matilda
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 667
  • Joined: 2007/01/25 15:56:00
  • Location: Port Royal, SC
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/01/03 10:58:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Orion Lover

quote:
Originally posted by matilda

Now, now, sure you do!!

Wish I did have the know-how matilda! Hey, I see you are from SC. I'm from upstate SC myself! Howdy neighbor!


Howdy, neighbor! I'm originally from the Upstate!
Orion Lover
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 49
  • Joined: 2007/10/12 04:53:00
  • Location: Greer, SC
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/01/03 11:44:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by matilda

quote:
Originally posted by Orion Lover

quote:
Originally posted by matilda

Now, now, sure you do!!

Wish I did have the know-how matilda! Hey, I see you are from SC. I'm from upstate SC myself! Howdy neighbor!


Howdy, neighbor! I'm originally from the Upstate!


How 'bout that! Are you familiar with Wise's BBQ on 76 near Newberry?
matilda
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 667
  • Joined: 2007/01/25 15:56:00
  • Location: Port Royal, SC
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/01/03 11:59:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Orion Lover

quote:
Originally posted by matilda

quote:
Originally posted by Orion Lover

quote:
Originally posted by matilda

Now, now, sure you do!!

Wish I did have the know-how matilda! Hey, I see you are from SC. I'm from upstate SC myself! Howdy neighbor!


Howdy, neighbor! I'm originally from the Upstate!


How 'bout that! Are you familiar with Wise's BBQ on 76 near Newberry?


Absolutely, I was just telling someone on here about that a few weeks ago. I used to eat there all the time. I last ate there about six months ago. Still as great as ever!!

Hey, since you live up there, you know how Churches and schools and stuff make chicken stew in the big cauldrons all day outside over an open fire? We did that when I was in Campfires to make money to go to Myrtle Beach. They always sell out so fast I haven't been able to get any in years. Do you know what goes into it? They don't make that down here, although a lot of outdoor cooking does go on here, just not that, and I miss it so much!!
Orion Lover
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 49
  • Joined: 2007/10/12 04:53:00
  • Location: Greer, SC
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/01/03 12:38:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by matilda

quote:
Originally posted by Orion Lover

quote:
Originally posted by matilda

quote:
Originally posted by Orion Lover

quote:
Originally posted by matilda

Now, now, sure you do!!

Wish I did have the know-how matilda! Hey, I see you are from SC. I'm from upstate SC myself! Howdy neighbor!


Howdy, neighbor! I'm originally from the Upstate!


How 'bout that! Are you familiar with Wise's BBQ on 76 near Newberry?


Absolutely, I was just telling someone on here about that a few weeks ago. I used to eat there all the time. I last ate there about six months ago. Still as great as ever!!

Hey, since you live up there, you know how Churches and schools and stuff make chicken stew in the big cauldrons all day outside over an open fire? We did that when I was in Campfires to make money to go to Myrtle Beach. They always sell out so fast I haven't been able to get any in years. Do you know what goes into it? They don't make that down here, although a lot of outdoor cooking does go on here, just not that, and I miss it so much!!


Wish I could help you but I don't have a clue. And I haven't even seen any of it for sale it a LONG time. Sorry!
matilda
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 667
  • Joined: 2007/01/25 15:56:00
  • Location: Port Royal, SC
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/01/03 13:21:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Orion Lover

quote:
Originally posted by matilda

quote:
Originally posted by Orion Lover

quote:
Originally posted by matilda

quote:
Originally posted by Orion Lover

quote:
Originally posted by matilda

Now, now, sure you do!!

Wish I did have the know-how matilda! Hey, I see you are from SC. I'm from upstate SC myself! Howdy neighbor!


Howdy, neighbor! I'm originally from the Upstate!


How 'bout that! Are you familiar with Wise's BBQ on 76 near Newberry?


Absolutely, I was just telling someone on here about that a few weeks ago. I used to eat there all the time. I last ate there about six months ago. Still as great as ever!!

Hey, since you live up there, you know how Churches and schools and stuff make chicken stew in the big cauldrons all day outside over an open fire? We did that when I was in Campfires to make money to go to Myrtle Beach. They always sell out so fast I haven't been able to get any in years. Do you know what goes into it? They don't make that down here, although a lot of outdoor cooking does go on here, just not that, and I miss it so much!!


Wish I could help you but I don't have a clue. And I haven't even seen any of it for sale it a LONG time. Sorry!


Since you're still up there on a full-time basis, how do you feel about Wise's? I just assumed you'd like it!! There also used to be a seafood place on the other side of Lake Greenwood that was an old motel called, "The Panarama." Did you ever eat there? How about, "Blazer's." As for chicken stew, the last time I was at The Beacon, they had it and it was good, but it wasn't what the Churches make and sell.
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 16
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1