Orion Cooker

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 9 of 16
Author
Orion Lover
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 49
  • Joined: 2007/10/12 04:53:00
  • Location: Greer, SC
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/01/03 14:01:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by matilda

quote:
Originally posted by Orion Lover

quote:
Originally posted by matilda

quote:
Originally posted by Orion Lover

quote:
Originally posted by matilda

quote:
Originally posted by Orion Lover

quote:
Originally posted by matilda

Now, now, sure you do!!

Wish I did have the know-how matilda! Hey, I see you are from SC. I'm from upstate SC myself! Howdy neighbor!


Howdy, neighbor! I'm originally from the Upstate!


How 'bout that! Are you familiar with Wise's BBQ on 76 near Newberry?


Absolutely, I was just telling someone on here about that a few weeks ago. I used to eat there all the time. I last ate there about six months ago. Still as great as ever!!

Hey, since you live up there, you know how Churches and schools and stuff make chicken stew in the big cauldrons all day outside over an open fire? We did that when I was in Campfires to make money to go to Myrtle Beach. They always sell out so fast I haven't been able to get any in years. Do you know what goes into it? They don't make that down here, although a lot of outdoor cooking does go on here, just not that, and I miss it so much!!


Wish I could help you but I don't have a clue. And I haven't even seen any of it for sale it a LONG time. Sorry!


Since you're still up there on a full-time basis, how do you feel about Wise's? I just assumed you'd like it!! There also used to be a seafood place on the other side of Lake Greenwood that was an old motel called, "The Panarama." Did you ever eat there? How about, "Blazer's." As for chicken stew, the last time I was at The Beacon, they had it and it was good, but it wasn't what the Churches make and sell.


Wise's is my favorite of all time! How can you beat all-you-can-eat BBQ for less than $7 including drink and tax? I try to go there a few times a year. I have tried Blazer's (don't think it is there anymore) but never heard of The Panarama. The Beacon isn't waht it used to be since John White sold out a few years back.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6394
  • Joined: 2006/07/06 19:49:00
  • Location: Live at Saint Clair
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/01/03 14:35:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Orion Lover

quote:
Originally posted by Orion Lover

quote:
Originally posted by matilda

quote:
Originally posted by Orion Lover

CajunKing...check your e-mail please. I sent pics of my results!

Tim


We want to see them, too!


Cajun said he would post them for me. I don't have da brains!


During an earlier debate, I promised Tim I would post his pix of his Orion Cookout.

So let's start out with ummmmmm Da Ribs!


3 racks total cooking time 75 minutes


and ring the dinner bell - the ribs are served


Anyone for some Boston Butt??
5 1/2 lbs cooked in 3.5 hours






and for dessert

Smoked Turkey - 10 1/2 lbs cooked in 2.5 hours




Tim - Orion Lover says

"I think the reason I had to cook the small turkey so long was the fact that I had been cooking all day and adding charcoal, from time to time.

There were som many ashes built up in the ringthat I think it was not getting as hot as usual.

This is just a guess on my part, but I looked on the Orion website & people there were cooking 20 lb birds in te same amount of time that I cooked the 10 1/2 pounder"





TheNose
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 29
  • Joined: 2007/11/26 11:39:00
  • Location: Victoria, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/01/03 14:38:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TXBDYGUARD

Terry,

You mentioned some hefty competition there with the folks in Lockhart, Luling, and Giddings. I have eaten at all of these places. I have cooked a pork butt and turkey but no beef YET! I will give it a whirl soon. I will miss the crust but I guess its healthier if you don't have crust.

Charlie


Next time I cook a brisket, I'm going to trim the fat off. The Orion doesn't carmalize the fat like a regular pit does.

You've got a pretty good BBQ place there in Round Rock, don't you? We ate at a BBQ place there (can't remember the name) that was highly recommended and it was very good.

Terry
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
  • Joined: 2007/11/28 14:42:00
  • Location: Xenia
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/01/03 15:00:39 (permalink)
Well that should just about put the doubters to bed.As you can see The Orion is the real deal. Quality built,Reasonable Price, Versitile, Easy to use, and World class results. Great pictures of well prepared food. I cant tell you how glad I am that I purchased one of these. I also did 3 racks of ribs the other day with the Orion and they came out fantastic. I did finish them with my sauce on the grill. Just as I would have if I had done them in the smoker....Russ
Orion Lover
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 49
  • Joined: 2007/10/12 04:53:00
  • Location: Greer, SC
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/01/03 15:35:49 (permalink)
CajunKing! Thanks a ton for posting those for me. One correction though, the three racks of ribs cooked for 75 minutes, not 3.5 hours! The day I cooked all that was mid 40's with a steady cold rain. I did have the Orion protected from the elements, my storage building will smell like meat for months! After receiving feedback from people on the Orion website, they agreed with me that the ash buildup was the reason for the long cook time on the bird. All in all, I was very happy with the results. The butt took the prize and the ribs were a close second. Again cajun, thanks for posting the pics for me. Hopefully this will put to rest some of the negative vibes that have been expressed here.

Tim
ppezalla
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 32
  • Joined: 2005/01/23 15:55:00
  • Location: Oak Park, IL
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/01/03 16:41:34 (permalink)
It is a little hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like the fat did not completely render out of the port butt like it does with a long/slow cook.

Is this the case or no?
firsttimer
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Joined: 2007/12/29 16:49:00
  • Location: sierra vista, AZ
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/01/03 16:57:31 (permalink)
Hello all :)
I will post more pics if this works. This was my very first attempt. One terriaki and and one italian dressing marinated porkloins. Tender and juicy.




Orion Lover
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 49
  • Joined: 2007/10/12 04:53:00
  • Location: Greer, SC
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/01/03 17:34:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ppezalla

It is a little hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like the fat did not completely render out of the port butt like it does with a long/slow cook.

Is this the case or no?

I have never done a long/slow cook so I can't really compare the two methods, but there was some fat between the "layers?" of meat. By no means was it "fatty" though. Just good and moist is the way I describe it.

Tim
TXBDYGUARD
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Joined: 2007/12/29 23:27:00
  • Location: Round Rock, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/01/08 21:45:54 (permalink)
Terry,

You talkin about Rudy's country store? The other place in town has changed hands so many times its not funny. There is one in Llano called Coopers thats pretty hard to beat and another one in Taylor Louis Muellers.

I cooked 16 big chicken breast in mine last night. Light dusting with Fiesta Chicken Fajita seasoning, 3 small handfuls of mesquite chips, and 45 minutes later we have smoked chicken breast. My in-laws came over and loved it. My wife took some leftovers to work and now they want me to cater lunch to her office with smoked chicken.

Some where on a previous post someone mention the fact they couldn't smell the food cooking. I threw a small hand full of mesquite chips on the coals and it solved that issue a lil bit.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6394
  • Joined: 2006/07/06 19:49:00
  • Location: Live at Saint Clair
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/01/09 17:18:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Orion Lover

quote:
Originally posted by ppezalla

It is a little hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like the fat did not completely render out of the port butt like it does with a long/slow cook.

Is this the case or no?

I have never done a long/slow cook so I can't really compare the two methods, but there was some fat between the "layers?" of meat. By no means was it "fatty" though. Just good and moist is the way I describe it.

Tim


I am a slow cooker by trade, I saw the pictures and I would say that the quicker cooking time did not let the fat render out long enough.
(Not saying it was fatty, just that in a slow cooking method the fat has a chance to be totally rendered out)


Tim what was your internal temp in the meat?? When you pulled it.

185 - 190 is for fork pulling or chopping
195 - 200 is ideal for hand pulling butts

Also if you have the time

pull it and wrap it in foil and newspaper and put in a cooler to "rest", then it should fall apart in your fingers.





Orion Lover
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 49
  • Joined: 2007/10/12 04:53:00
  • Location: Greer, SC
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/01/10 16:36:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CajunKing

quote:
Originally posted by Orion Lover

quote:
Originally posted by ppezalla

It is a little hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like the fat did not completely render out of the port butt like it does with a long/slow cook.

Is this the case or no?

I have never done a long/slow cook so I can't really compare the two methods, but there was some fat between the "layers?" of meat. By no means was it "fatty" though. Just good and moist is the way I describe it.

Tim


I am a slow cooker by trade, I saw the pictures and I would say that the quicker cooking time did not let the fat render out long enough.
(Not saying it was fatty, just that in a slow cooking method the fat has a chance to be totally rendered out)


Tim what was your internal temp in the meat?? When you pulled it.

185 - 190 is for fork pulling or chopping
195 - 200 is ideal for hand pulling butts

Also if you have the time

pull it and wrap it in foil and newspaper and put in a cooler to "rest", then it should fall apart in your fingers.








Ahhhhhh, OK. Thanks for the explanation Cajun because I am not experienced enough at this stuff to even be considered an amatuer. And I am fessing up here, I didn't check the temp, I just went with the 3.5 hours and dug in!

Now, why the different temps for the two methods of pulling. I had no idea that there were different types of pulling. Like I said, I am just a rookie at this!
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6394
  • Joined: 2006/07/06 19:49:00
  • Location: Live at Saint Clair
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/01/10 17:25:16 (permalink)
BBQ meats can be served 4 ways

Sliced (run through a meat sliceer)
Chopped (2 cleavers and a good butchers blocks)
Pulled (mechanical means - use 2 forks and pick the meat apart using the forks)
Hand pulled (reach in grab a handful of meat and start pulling it apart)


The meat will be pullable by fork (mechanical means) at 185 degrees, which means the meat has reached the state that the internal fat has somewhat rendered out thus making the meat ready to shred.

by taking it to 195 and letting it rest, the fat has been rendered out (not totally though yet) and after the rest you can pick it up and shred it by hand (non mechanical)

both are edible & both are good eats

It just depends on your personal tastes

matilda
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 667
  • Joined: 2007/01/25 15:56:00
  • Location: Port Royal, SC
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/01/11 15:38:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CajunKing

BBQ meats can be served 4 ways

Sliced (run through a meat sliceer)
Chopped (2 cleavers and a good butchers blocks)
Pulled (mechanical means - use 2 forks and pick the meat apart using the forks)
Hand pulled (reach in grab a handful of meat and start pulling it apart)


The meat will be pullable by fork (mechanical means) at 185 degrees, which means the meat has reached the state that the internal fat has somewhat rendered out thus making the meat ready to shred.

by taking it to 195 and letting it rest, the fat has been rendered out (not totally though yet) and after the rest you can pick it up and shred it by hand (non mechanical)

both are edible & both are good eats

It just depends on your personal tastes




Where do ribs fit in there? TeeHee.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6394
  • Joined: 2006/07/06 19:49:00
  • Location: Live at Saint Clair
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/01/11 17:11:01 (permalink)
Ribs

1st - Remove the membrane from the backside of the rib
2nd - Rub them ribs real good
3rd - 225 degrees for 3 hours, I start to check them (could take 3 hours could take 5)

To me a rib is done when the ribs bend over under their own weight, but DO NOT fall apart

I do ribs by feel not temp
Orion Lover
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 49
  • Joined: 2007/10/12 04:53:00
  • Location: Greer, SC
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/01/13 16:29:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CajunKing

Ribs

1st - Remove the membrane from the backside of the rib
2nd - Rub them ribs real good
3rd - 225 degrees for 3 hours, I start to check them (could take 3 hours could take 5)

To me a rib is done when the ribs bend over under their own weight, but DO NOT fall apart

I do ribs by feel not temp


Cajun,
Thanks for all the info you have been posting. I have learned a lot from them.

Let me ask, why do you take the membrane off the back of the ribs? I have heard about that but have never done it.

Tim
matilda
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 667
  • Joined: 2007/01/25 15:56:00
  • Location: Port Royal, SC
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/01/13 16:41:34 (permalink)
I like the membrane on the backside of the ribs. That's the part I lay down first, and then, as they get flipped then sauced, etc. it turns into, to me, a very tasty and crispy treat. I do beef ribs, I don't know if that makes any difference or not, but that's the way I like them. Pork ribs, to me, are too much of a pain for not much meat and they don't taste as good, to me, either.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6394
  • Joined: 2006/07/06 19:49:00
  • Location: Live at Saint Clair
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/01/13 18:15:00 (permalink)
Tim

There are different thoughts on the reason to remove the membrane or not.

Some feel that it helps to make the ribs more tender and easier to seperate, it can be a little grizzly

as Alton Brown says "Not good eats"

Others feel that it holds the ribs together while cooking


The silver skin (membrane) is edible so to each his own
gmartin
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Joined: 2008/01/11 20:20:00
  • Location: Goose Creek, KY
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/01/17 23:56:37 (permalink)
First time poster, long time reader...easy boys.

I just wanted to share my Saturday. I had an 8lb brisket and 2 Jimmy Dean sausage rolls. I started on Thursday by putting the brisket in apple cider vinegar. Friday I rinsed, pat dried then painted mustard and finally poured the rub to it. Wrap it in saran wrap until Saturday afternoon.

Saturday I started by cutting both ends off the brisket to slow cook with the sausage phatties on the Weber grill. One phatty was 2/3 of one of the sausage rolls with a sweet rub the other one was stuffed with cheese, red peppers, onions, mushrooms and the rub. Then I took the 2 ends of the brisket and put them together with 2 skewers to make it like a small 2+ lb brisket. I slow smoked it all with hickory chunks at 200-250 degrees starting at 11am and at 2:30pm it was done. The phatties were cut up into slices and the brisket ends into small bites and served up as appetizers........In the meantime I had preped the Orion Cooker with White Oak chips & dust, with some Apple Cider vinegar & Apple juice in the dip pan. I placed the remaining 6- lb brisket on the 2nd rack and fired it up around 2pm. By 5:35 pm my main dish was ready at 190 degrees.








TXBDYGUARD
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Joined: 2007/12/29 23:27:00
  • Location: Round Rock, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/01/18 00:11:51 (permalink)
How are y'all getting your meat to have that nice dark golden color on it. Am I not putting enough coal around the bottom?
gmartin
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Joined: 2008/01/11 20:20:00
  • Location: Goose Creek, KY
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/01/18 05:16:29 (permalink)
The yellow mustard does it and it adds a nice taste to the sweet que rub too. First time that I tried it and it worked.
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
  • Joined: 2005/06/16 23:00:00
  • Location: New York, NY/Santa Fe, NM
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/01/18 13:02:18 (permalink)
Thanks for the humor. This is one funny thread!
gmartin
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Joined: 2008/01/11 20:20:00
  • Location: Goose Creek, KY
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/01/18 19:41:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by NYNM

Thanks for the humor. This is one funny thread!

brickie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 226
  • Joined: 2007/03/08 11:34:00
  • Location: sterling, CT
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/01/19 11:50:03 (permalink)
Thanks for sharing gmartin
TheNose
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 29
  • Joined: 2007/11/26 11:39:00
  • Location: Victoria, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/04/06 11:55:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by gmartin

quote:
Originally posted by NYNM

Thanks for the humor. This is one funny thread!




FYI

There are some jerks posting in this thread that think they know everything. Don't let it bother you. Thanks for the post.

Terry
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
  • Joined: 2007/11/28 14:42:00
  • Location: Xenia
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/04/06 12:26:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TheNose

quote:
Originally posted by gmartin

quote:
Originally posted by NYNM

Thanks for the humor. This is one funny thread!




FYI

There are some jerks posting in this thread that think they know everything. Don't let it bother you. Thanks for the post.

Terry



Actually this is a pretty funny thread. And if you read back there are some pretty clever quotes. And I am a big supporter of the Orion. One of my favorite threads.....Russ
Orion Lover
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 49
  • Joined: 2007/10/12 04:53:00
  • Location: Greer, SC
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/04/08 06:53:32 (permalink)
Yeah, this was a funny thread but seems to have died. I still check it out from time to time to see if anyone has posted. I have moved recently and have not had the time or desire to cook anything but hopefully will be in the mood again soon.
matilda
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 667
  • Joined: 2007/01/25 15:56:00
  • Location: Port Royal, SC
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/04/08 09:22:38 (permalink)
I've posted.
Unmentionable things have happened, though.
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
  • Joined: 2007/11/28 14:42:00
  • Location: Xenia
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/04/08 09:38:49 (permalink)
With summer right around the corner this post will pick up again. I might hook up an electric smoke injector to mine...Russ

http://www.smokepistol.com/ordering.html
matilda
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 667
  • Joined: 2007/01/25 15:56:00
  • Location: Port Royal, SC
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/04/08 11:46:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Jackson

With summer right around the corner this post will pick up again. I might hook up an electric smoke injector to mine...Russ

http://www.smokepistol.com/ordering.html



LOL!! The True Smoking Gun!!! HaHa!!
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7981
  • Joined: 2005/04/17 18:50:00
  • Location: Marina del Rey, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: Orion Cooker 2008/04/08 12:37:45 (permalink)
I'm leary of any company that you're married to after buying their product.

Anyone else make the tablets for that smoking gun?

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 9 of 16
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1