Orion Cooker

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 16
Author
Texianjoe
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 639
2006/12/17 19:01:52 (permalink)

Orion Cooker

I was Christmas shopping at Fry's this morning and saw this smoker called an Orion Cooker. It looked interesting so I though I would post something about it to see if any of you had ever used one or even seen one.

http://www.orioncooker.com/

They run about $150.

joe

455 Replies Related Threads

MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5408
    RE: Orion Cooker 2006/12/17 23:07:35 (permalink)
    TJ, I've never seen or heard of such an animal.

MikeS.
    Rick F.
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Orion Cooker 2006/12/18 00:54:05 (permalink)
    I got as far as "5 lb. bag of instant light charcoal briquettes" and stopped reading. They add their own, ah, "aroma" to the food and I wouldn't even consider using them. For them to be recommended by a manufacturer is, for me, a bright red flag.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Orion Cooker 2006/12/18 07:05:33 (permalink)
    It looks like the thing that crashed at Rosewell. Chow Jim
    Willly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 396
    RE: Orion Cooker 2006/12/18 07:24:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rick F.

I got as far as "5 lb. bag of instant light charcoal briquettes" and stopped reading. They add their own, ah, "aroma" to the food and I wouldn't even consider using them. For them to be recommended by a manufacturer is, for me, a bright red flag.

I almost stopped as well, but like a car crash, I couldn't turn away. Each and every recipe in the manual has you load the meat, start a really big fire with instant charcoal, and then pull after a specified time. It certainly isn't barbecue, and there is no way the thing is tight enough to keep out the starter taste.
    Texianjoe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 639
    RE: Orion Cooker 2006/12/18 08:35:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Willly

quote:

I almost stopped as well, but like a car crash, I couldn't turn away. Each and every recipe in the manual has you load the meat, start a really big fire with instant charcoal, and then pull after a specified time. It certainly isn't barbecue, and there is no way the think is tight enough to keep out the starter taste.

If I remember the way the thing looked, the charcoal is in the tub around the inner container that holds the meat, so lighter fluid smell is not an issue. If you want smoke you put chips inside the inner chimney. The issue I have with it is it may cook the meat too fast and make it tough even if you make steam.

joe
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6359
    RE: Orion Cooker 2006/12/18 09:50:57 (permalink)
    Man my ol pappy had sum thang that looked like that cept it was made of copper and had some curled tubing running here and there out of it. I never saw him cook no meat on it, but it did produce some mighty fine corn squeezins.

I think I will stick to my stick burner or cookshack
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5408
    RE: Orion Cooker 2006/12/19 00:26:31 (permalink)
    CJ, that is too darn funny... I LMAOROTF 5 minutes later.

MikeS.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5047
    RE: Orion Cooker 2006/12/19 01:21:22 (permalink)
    Thanks. But, no thanks. I'll stick to my "tried and true".
    Jimeats-loved the Roswell remark. Spot on!
    DMed
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Orion Cooker 2007/04/29 18:30:31 (permalink)
    The Orion cooker works great. It cooks by convection and by smoking, there is no direct contact between the charcoal smoke and the food. Because of the design, you can cook large quantities at a time if you wish. The food is very tender, and there is no watching or turning the food. I can actually make side dishes now without worrying about burning the meat on the grill. You can use wood chips and/or liquids like beer or wine inside the cooker to change the flavor if you like. I use a CHIMNEY to start the charcoal, so it is not necessary to use instant light if you don't want to!
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3143
    RE: Orion Cooker 2007/04/29 19:48:25 (permalink)
    The only two reviews of this thing are from first time posters.
    Welcome aboard DMed, we hope you don't vanish after that glowing review.
    What are the downsides?
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Since posting this, I did a Google search and turned this up; note the time and date" />
    This was on http://bbq.about.com/b/a/204152.htm
    Very strange reviews. Amazon no longers carries this product.

Works great and it’s so easy - no watching and no turning! Just put the food on and walk away. I can actually make side dishes now without worrying about the meat burning.

Comment by DMed — April 29, 2007 @ 6:11 pm
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Orion Cooker 2007/05/01 13:24:24 (permalink)
    Anybody want to bet that in a few months we'll get another first time poster raving about the Orion? Too bad. I probably would have at least checked this product out if some basic honesty was used.
    roondawg
    Junior Burger
    RE: Orion Cooker 2007/07/01 09:47:29 (permalink)
    Hey everyone, I am new to this forum because I am researching some recipes for the Orion Cooker. The inventor of the cooker is a friend of mine and is an exceptional person. I've eaten ribs, wings and salmon from this cooker and it is very good. I have no vested interest in this other than he is a friend and takes smoking and grilling very seriously. If you have questions he answers every phone call personally. I am no expert on cookers but I truly am happy with my purchase and hope you give it a try.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    RE: Orion Cooker 2007/07/01 16:38:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

Anybody want to bet that in a few months we'll get another first time poster raving about the Orion? Too bad. I probably would have at least checked this product out if some basic honesty was used.

MFL,

DING DING DING, WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER! Get that man a Kewpie Doll!

Two months to the day!
    fleetjim
    Junior Burger
    RE: Orion Cooker 2007/07/26 21:53:05 (permalink)
    I bought an Orion Cooker and I can tell you it is really great! When they tell you not to peek and believe in their time tables, believe it. I use regular charcoal and lighter fluid (a chimney is hard to use with this), there is no way for any fumes to get at your food. The only advice I can give is if you are not going to smoke a second meat, use about 1/3 less charcoal.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Orion Cooker 2007/07/26 22:15:00 (permalink)
    It's a plethora of first time posters who all chose to praise the Orion cooker and then disappear, never to be seen again. Hmmmmm
    TarHeelBBQ
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Orion Cooker 2007/07/27 07:01:25 (permalink)
    quote:

Every time someone mentions Instant Light charcoal, I can't help thinking of this quote:

"You smell that? Do you smell that? Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning."
    - Colonel Bill Kilgore
    PaulBPool
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 278
    RE: Orion Cooker 2007/07/27 09:16:06 (permalink)
    My two sons, both Eagle Scouts, were in a Troop that made a great turkey dinner for our annual family campout, the famous Troop 776 "Garbage Can Turkeys' - the theory of which, this silly contraption seems to embrace. The boys would take a large sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil, double it over, and place it on the ground. A steel stake was then pounded into the ground, and the turkey (seasoned with s&p, a little cayenne) placed on the stake. The foil and the turkey are then covered with a *CLEAN OR NEW* galvanized steel garbage can. Sand is then poured around the edge of the can where it meets the foil to form a seal. Charcoal briquettes are then piled all around the bottom of the can, and also on the top of the can. Couple of hours later, to much fanfare, the can is lifted off the turkey and inside is a wonderfully browned, amazingly juicy turkey. Seems like the coals, and the shape of the garbage can, create a nice vortex or 'convection' inside, which cooks the bird faster than a traditional oven. So (don't hit me now), it may just be possible that this silly looking thing actually works somewhat. But personally I'd rather buy the steel garbage can. A lot more practical, I think, since it looks a lot more rustic/eccentric, and if the bird does flop, you can use the garbage can for it's intended purpose!
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Orion Cooker 2007/07/27 10:49:42 (permalink)
    I didn't think you could cook in something galvanized. I may be wrong {been known to be many times in the past, ask my EX} but I thought there might be lead in the galvanizing process. In any event it sounds like it would work.
    Chow Jim
    matilda
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 667
    RE: Orion Cooker 2007/07/27 15:05:28 (permalink)
    Apparently, it's done with zinc...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanization
    PaulBPool
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 278
    RE: Orion Cooker 2007/07/27 15:22:35 (permalink)
    Yes, Zinc is what's used today, not lead. And, in the deep recesses of my mind, I remember in the original "Frugal Gourmet" cookbook, he had detailed instructions on how to make a home smoker using a galvanized trash can and a hot plate - something that I may just have to try one of these days!
    7-footr
    Junior Burger
    RE: Orion Cooker 2007/08/01 17:06:54 (permalink)
    Yes, I am a first time writer. I am here to tell you that the Orion Cooker is the real deal! I was a little skeptical when my buddy brought this contraption over to my house. He said "this will produce the BEST ribs that you have ever put in your mouth". Now, being a little over 400 pounds, you can imagine that I have had a few ribs in my lifetime. This was a big statement! So, he fired up the charcoal first and let them burn until they were no longer black. This is not the way Orion says to do it...but it does let the lighter fluid burn off. He let them burn a good twenty minutes or so before putting the ribs in the smoker. He put three slabs of ribs in the smoker for exactly one hour. And, I am here to tell you, that they were falling off of the bone. UNBELIEVABLE! Before you knock this thing, you need to try it. After using my friend's smoker, I went out and bought my own for around $100 at Home Depot. I have used it at least a dozen times and have had complements to the chef every time. If you like simple with great results every time, this is for you.
    Hawaiian
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Orion Cooker 2007/08/02 20:07:49 (permalink)
    Aloha All!

I live in Hawaii and had to pay $20 extra to get the cooker here. The Orion Cooker is worth every penny extra. I don't have the time to smoke the traditional way, so this cooker/smoker is the best cooking device that I have ever seen. Thanks Orion! I cooked 6 racks of back ribs and they were killer. I gave friends and family the ribs and they were super impressed. I understand why the traditional smokers are talking this product down, but you gotta try it before you say anything.

Mahalo for letting me post my first post to this forum!
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    RE: Orion Cooker 2007/08/02 21:06:48 (permalink)
    MFL

AAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18276
    RE: Orion Cooker 2007/08/02 21:20:13 (permalink)
    Why don't I believe these out-of-nowhere Orion fans?
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Orion Cooker 2007/08/02 21:25:16 (permalink)
    I'm speechless
    matilda
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 667
    RE: Orion Cooker 2007/08/02 23:17:16 (permalink)
    I will have to agree that the enthusiasm is repetetive and "six racks of ribs" seems to be a common bond--even in the advertising for the thing. However, it does exist and apparently sells well. Again, my initial post on this subject, which for some reason was deleted, only showed verification of its existence and the fact that it is for sale at major retail outlets. I'll stick with my big Weber and my Smokey Joe. When I get a bigger place, then I'll get maybe a more fancy set-up, maybe not. I probably wouldn't opt for the cooker this thread is about simply because it doesn't seem practical. It certainly doesn't seem versatile. If its only saving grace is that it cuts cooking time in half or more then I'm skeptical. The pure joy of taking your time and creating something truly fabulous over the course of a few relaxing hours just cannot be beat, in my opinion.
    Beer&Snausages
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: Orion Cooker 2007/08/03 16:42:03 (permalink)
    It's funny, just today at the gym I grabbed a Popular Mechanics (the one with the Chinese anti-satellite on the cover) and they had a review of the Orion. The reviewer and testers all preferred the smoky taste of the slow cooked meat but actually preferred the Orion cooked ribs over conventional smoked ribs.

Here's th etext that goes along with the link below.

"We've built smokers, taken stoves through the backroads of Michigan and camped out with travel grills in Arizona. But the key to Orion's speed-smoking is that the cooking chamber is sealed. In our blind taste test, every taster preferred the Orion ribs, which were far more tender than our flavorful slow-cooked meat. Family BBQ night never flew so fast."

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/upgrade/4217950.html?page=7
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    RE: Orion Cooker 2007/08/03 20:05:33 (permalink)
    MFL

They are invading ARRRRGGGGHHH!

B&S

I saw that issue in the waiting area of Children's Hospital this week, I started laughing and couldn't stop.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Orion Cooker 2007/08/03 23:07:45 (permalink)
    Be careful of anyone with two puncture wounds in the neck area!
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 16
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1