The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Oscar Mayer Sausage

misterzerox

• Total Posts: 18
Oscar Mayer Sausage Fri, 01/16/04 8:03 PM (permalink)
Does anyone know of a store in the Chicago area where I can buy this? I seem to recall the major grocery stores used to carry it but now I can only get it in restaurants. I could probably buy the food service size from a supplier but I think it's like 100 links and pork sausage doesn't freeze well for more than a month or so, it gets that old porky flavor.

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3219
    RE: Oscar Mayer Sausage Sat, 01/17/04 12:56 AM (permalink)
    Oscar Meyer makes 2 varieties of their sausage called "Smokies." One is the Beef Smoked Sausage and the other is the Smoked Sausage. In the 50's they were known as "Smokie Links" and advertised on TV. You might find them at the Jewel or Dominick's in Buffalo Grove or give Kraftco in Glenview a call for your nearest retail store. I once had the opportunity to meet Little Oscar. He was the midget in the 50's who represented the Oscar Meyer Meat Company. He drove the Wiener Mobile-an enormous motorized hot dog, with a yellow band around it. There were TV commercials of him emerging from the Wiener Mobile, surrounded by cheering kids, and him throwing hot dogs. He actually drove around and did this. Once the Wiener Mobile was a few blocks from my house and I had the opportunity to meet Little Oscar in person. He wasn't throwing hot dogs that day, he was passing out Wiener Whistles. I was one of the fortunate few to receive one. Wiener whistle buffs can visit:

www.357.com/chris/wiener/whistle.html

I had whistle A.

misterzerox

RE: Oscar Mayer Sausage Sat, 01/17/04 11:32 AM (permalink)
      I don't mean the smokies, I've found those at one of the local Dominick's stores. I'm talking about the breakfast sausage. I remember them packaged with individual Oscar Mayer cigar bands around each link. I know I saw them somewhere within the last several years...possibly at the now defunct Super Kmart. I suppose I could request the store to carry them, they do that sometimes.

misterzerox

RE: Oscar Mayer Sausage Sat, 01/17/04 11:33 AM (permalink)
        Sorry, just re-read your post-I suppose calling Kraft woud be a good idea. Thanks!

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3219
          RE: Oscar Mayer Sausage Sat, 01/17/04 12:50 PM (permalink)
          If you can't locate that Oscar Meyer product, Usinger of Milwaukee retails a variety of sausages. Their all beef hot dog was selected as a signature food at the past World Olympics.

CuRoi

• Total Posts: 22
            RE: Oscar Mayer Sausage Mon, 04/12/04 8:28 PM (permalink)
            The Wienermobile still existed 10 years or so ago. In the mid-90s I was working in Newton, MA next door to the big hotel that is built over the Mass. Turnpike there. A couple of times a year I would see the Wienermobile parked in the driveway for a couple of days -- I guess that's where they kept it when they brought it to the Boston area. (The hotel had a garage, but the WMB was way too long to fit any of the spaces.) For all I know the company may have had several WMBs in different regions.

Never saw anybody tossing wieners, though.

CuRoi

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com