Other places from the nashville roadfood tour

Author
RibRater
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1862
2007/05/01 15:20:15 (permalink)

Other places from the nashville roadfood tour

While in Nashville for the tour, the wife and I stopped at a few other spots both in the area and out of area. If you have pics from your tour of places you ate or visited that were not a part of the official roadfood tour please feel free to hi-jack this thread and post them.

On Friday we were meeting Stephen, the Sterns, Bruce and Anne, The Mayor, Paul, Stephens Mom, Mark, and more (apologies if you were there and I didn't remember your name for this post!) Before we went to la Hacienda, we drove over to KingFish for a hot fish sandwich. ChiTownDiner covered this place well and since I didn't get any pictures of the fish, I'll just say that it was very good and KingFish would be a regular stop for me if I lived in the area.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19567

la hacienda - The margaritas were calling my name but I had to drive so no drinks for me. That was unfortunate for a couple reasons. One, I didn't get a margarita and it looked like a good one. Two, the food could have used a drink. The wife and I played it safe and split an order of beef fajitas and they were just not good. Salty, with a gravy bouquet flavor, we finished off about half the plate before we hit a point of no mas. Almost every place I've eaten fajitas has been better. But the company was good!

We were on the afternoon tour so we decided to get started early and head over to Hay's Smokehouse based on the review here at roadfood. It was about a 1.5 hour drive but I had to tack on an additional 20 minute searching for the place..because they had changed names two weeks ago when the Hay's sold the place. Yikes. Considering the time invested we decided to give them a try.

When you walk in the door, hope abounds, primarily because of the aroma of smoked meats and the fact that there was no menu. But when you get to the counter, there's a colored flyer announcing some new menu items...burgers, dogs, etc. Yikes #2.

After speaking with the young man behind the counter we settled on the sampler platter. Ribs (pork), pulled pork, chicken, beans, slaw, and potato salad along with a couple of cheap rolls.

That's a good looking plate of food..but here's the rest of the story.

The ribs were cooked at a heat that was too high (they had developed a crust) and they were not cooked long enough. Thye had a thick vein of fat that should have melted away with proper cooking, leaving just a thin vein of fat running through the bottom part of the rib.

The chicken (white meat) was over cooked and far to dry to be rescued by the various sauces on the table.

The pulled pork was also dry and didn't have that deep, rich smoke flavor you would expect from whole hog cooked slowly over hickory.

Here's the biggest problem with the meat we were served. The ribs and chicken had a chemical taste like they were using an accelerant to spark the wood..and using way to much. The meat was picking up this chemical and it was exactly what you taste when you first bite into the ribs and the chicken.

The slaw was very good. Just the right amount of sauce, not soupy, with a good bite of onion. perfect for a que sandwich.

The potato salad was a mustard base with just enough sweetness added to rate it an A in my book.

The beans were acceptable with a nice amount of meat but not enough flavor or spice to make them good. They didn't offend but they weren't impressive either.

The new owner (it's called Curt's Smokehouse) has only been there a couple weeks so perhaps they are still getting their que legs. based on past reviews of hay's, I'm hoping they are and plan to get back over there in the next 60 days to give them another try.

One last note. This was the cleanest bbq joint I have visited in some time. The kitchen area that I could see, the dining area, the bathroom...all clean as a whistle.

We left Lexington and headed up to Paris TN for the Worlds Largest Fish Fry. On the way to Paris, the radio station we were listening to kept running promos talking about the fish fry and every store on the way had a "welcome fish fry visitors" sign. I'm a big fan of fried catfish and, although we didn't have much time, I planned to grab a large plate to eat on the way back to nashville before the afternoon tour.

Once we arrived at Paris we drove across town looking for the worlds largest fish fry. there were signs on every block welcoming people to the worlds largest fish fry. i criss-crossed the town twice on all major roads (both of them ) ...and not a single sign telling you how to get to the worlds largest fish fry. nothing. couldn't find it in spite of the fact that their welcome to paris tn sign even had a 6 ft catfish. I even stumbled upon the catfish races..but no fried fish in site.

by the time i stopped to ask for directions, it was for the quickest way to I-40 so we didn't miss the afternoon tour. we pulled into the parking lot of loveless at 1:50.

to wrap this up, the afternoon tour was great.

prince's hot chicken exceeded all the hype for me. spicy and perfectly cooked, it was one of the best pieces of chicken I've eaten..period.

at swetts, i let my better half select the meal. big mistake but that's ok..she has other redeeming qualities. the food we had was acceptable but the food we didn't have looked much better. after working my way through my half of rotisserie chicken, mashed potatos, and mac and cheese, I would have killed for the squash casserole, seasoned cabbage, and mac and cheese again.

the last stop of the day was morills (sp?). southern food served family style and most of it was very good. at $11 per person, this is a great place to share a meal.

As an early riser, cindy and I usually get out of town before dawn on most road trips but I needed a Popeye's fix so I had to wait until 10 am. In the meantime, I headed over to white castle for a bologna, egg, and cheese sandwich. excellent! we don't have white castle or popeyes in my area so I always grab some chow from these places when in the area.

that's it! headed out of town at 10:25 eastern. a great trip overall. we are both looking forward to the next official eating excursion.

16 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15335
    RE: Other places from the nashville roadfood tour 2007/05/02 17:23:36 (permalink)

Larry,
    I was sorry to read of your lack of success with two of the places we have held near and dear. I am sure a margarita might have assisted in improving the rating of La Hacienda.
    The news of Dennis Hays Selling the store is SAD. For several years we have used Mr Hays BBQ as the standard by which we compare all other Pork BBQ Stands. It looks kinda bleak right now. Stevekoe visited the place shortly after you called me and tried the food. He pronounced it good but NOT Great.

I am glad you enjoyed the bus tour. The folks who joined you came out singing praises of the stops on the circuit...both morning and afternoon.
    AL
    RibRater
    RE: Other places from the nashville roadfood tour 2007/05/02 18:00:57 (permalink)
    I'm hoping I can shake free around the 17th to spend a few days in memphis for the bbq cook-off...i'm betting I can get a good rib there. If so, I'm going to stop by Curt's and give it another shot.

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13565
    RE: Other places from the nashville roadfood tour 2007/05/02 20:06:08 (permalink)
    Larry, all in all you had a tough weekend, could not find the fish place, Hays sold out and got sick in Nashville. Sorry as I had advised you about Hayes. Neither Al nor I had a clue that he was gone. He was the standard. We are sorry to see him gone.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Other places from the nashville roadfood tour 2007/05/02 20:44:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Larry - RibRater - Jay

That's a good looking plate of food..

Larry, as soon as I saw that pic I knew what you were going to say about the chicken, and damned if you didn't. That wing is too carbonized for the rest to be any good.

That's my experience anyway.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18957
    RE: Other places from the nashville roadfood tour 2007/05/02 20:51:12 (permalink)
    Odd. I've never heard of a White Castle breakfast sandwich with bologna. Bacon, sausage and ham. But never bologna.
    mlinkinhoker
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 183
    RE: Other places from the nashville roadfood tour 2007/05/02 22:10:06 (permalink)
    Ribrater - I have to agree with you on La Hacienda. At one point it was the best and all the chefs liked going there on their days off. It used to be a whole in the wall joint - it was a grocery store run by the guy who made the tortillas and he added a little counter and did mainly roasted chickens. This is the second time we have been that the food was marginal at best. There are so many Mexican places around town that it would be hard to be any worse than what we had last Friday. My bisteca was dry and had no flavor. My sangria (which used to be killer here) was watered down and weak. Jeff's chilaquiles were more tortillas than anything else and had little flavor. The owner's father and mother were attacked in their apartment last year after closing the restaurant - someone staked them out and followed them and beat them killing the old man. The owner has opened another venue down the street that we eat at quite often and has some of the same things but 'specializes' in seafood dishes and it has the little market next to it. Everything we have had there is good. But we are also usually the only Americanos in there and the owner and his mother are usually sitting at the 'community' table. So all of this in mind, I wonder if that is what has happened to the bigger more popular location.

As for Swett's - yes I think your wife steered you guys wrong - the fried chicken and pork chops at Swett's are what you go for. The fried corn, squash, sweet potatoes, and cabbage are all good - I had several of them Saturday.

As for Monell's, unfortunately, you cannot 'split' a plate there since it is family style all you can eat but they sure put the food out there. I can honestly say that what they served Saturday night was some of the best they have ever put out - it was at it's peak of freshness. They have a killer breakfast buffet too but you won't feel much like doing anything but sitting around or taking a nap afterwards. They also have several other locations mostly in old historic types of buildings - the old pre-civil war jail in Franklin, and old mansion in Gallatin and maybe one other. And then they have 'express' locations around town where you pick up stuff for lunch or dinner.

Hope you enjoyed your trip. Let me know next time youare in the area and we'll take you some other places.
    RibRater
    RE: Other places from the nashville roadfood tour 2007/05/03 03:48:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

Larry, all in all you had a tough weekend, could not find the fish place, Hays sold out and got sick in Nashville. Sorry as I had advised you about Hayes. Neither Al nor I had a clue that he was gone. He was the standard. We are sorry to see him gone.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

It was actually a great weekend. Stuff happens..business changes. You just got to roll with it.

quote:
    Originally posted by enginecapt

Larry, as soon as I saw that pic I knew what you were going to say about the chicken, and damned if you didn't. That wing is too carbonized for the rest to be any good.

That's my experience anyway.

Yep capt..spot on. I believe the chicken and que was cooked the day before. The ribs were fresh but the interior meat was very wet and needed to be cooked at least another hour or two. They were cooked...they just weren't done.

quote:
    Originally posted by mlinkinhoker

Ribrater - I have to agree with you on La Hacienda. At one point it was the best and all the chefs liked going there on their days off. It used to be a whole in the wall joint - it was a grocery store run by the guy who made the tortillas and he added a little counter and did mainly roasted chickens. This is the second time we have been that the food was marginal at best. There are so many Mexican places around town that it would be hard to be any worse than what we had last Friday. My bisteca was dry and had no flavor. My sangria (which used to be killer here) was watered down and weak. Jeff's chilaquiles were more tortillas than anything else and had little flavor. The owner's father and mother were attacked in their apartment last year after closing the restaurant - someone staked them out and followed them and beat them killing the old man. The owner has opened another venue down the street that we eat at quite often and has some of the same things but 'specializes' in seafood dishes and it has the little market next to it. Everything we have had there is good. But we are also usually the only Americanos in there and the owner and his mother are usually sitting at the 'community' table. So all of this in mind, I wonder if that is what has happened to the bigger more popular location.

As for Swett's - yes I think your wife steered you guys wrong - the fried chicken and pork chops at Swett's are what you go for. The fried corn, squash, sweet potatoes, and cabbage are all good - I had several of them Saturday.

As for Monell's, unfortunately, you cannot 'split' a plate there since it is family style all you can eat but they sure put the food out there. I can honestly say that what they served Saturday night was some of the best they have ever put out - it was at it's peak of freshness. They have a killer breakfast buffet too but you won't feel much like doing anything but sitting around or taking a nap afterwards. They also have several other locations mostly in old historic types of buildings - the old pre-civil war jail in Franklin, and old mansion in Gallatin and maybe one other. And then they have 'express' locations around town where you pick up stuff for lunch or dinner.

Hope you enjoyed your trip. Let me know next time youare in the area and we'll take you some other places.

Terrible story about the la hacienda folks. The new place they opened sounds like a hole in the wall over in asheboro nc. It's a small place in the walmart strip shopping center. best fajitas I've eaten (chorizo, pork carnitas, etc).

When I met cindy (23 years ago) her diet consisted of less then a dozen foods. Over the years she has really branched out but given many choices, she always selects very basic foods. But she's a delightful woman with many strengths so I'm going to continue to hang out with her if she'll let me.

I was kidding about splitting a plate at monells. We tend to split plates especially if we know we will be eating more then 2 meals in a day but the money at monells was well spent for quality not quantity.

quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Odd. I've never heard of a White Castle breakfast sandwich with bologna. Bacon, sausage and ham. But never bologna.

Might be a regional thing Michael. It's a good sandwich for $1.07 but it needs a little mustard. I was looking for the jalapeno cheeseburger but didn't see it on the menu...maybe they'll have it when i get over to memphis in a couple of weeks.

mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: Other places from the nashville roadfood tour 2007/05/03 11:15:53 (permalink)
    I guess this is as good a spot as any to write about my non-tour days in Nashville. I enjoyed eating at some other fine roadfood stops and taking in some of the other tourist delights of music city.
    Friday I started off with a visit to Elliston Place Soda Shop(reviewed on this site) for a country breakfast. Ham,eggs,grits and biscuits at an old-fashioned soda shop real close to the Vanderbilt campus. A good eating experience and an even better people-watching. Next went to the Ryman Auditorium(the home of the Grand Old Opry from 1945-1974). The buiding has been completely upgraded a and now hosts music concerts yeard round and the Opry itself in the winter months. It was a church and has oak pews as the seating as well as stained glass windows in the back. So many great perfomers sang there and will continue to sing and it was nice to walk around and feel the spirit of Hank Williams, Roy Acuff, Minnie Pearl , Elvis, Marty Robbins and all the other greats who have performed there. I'm so glad it wasn't torn down as was originally planned.
    Next went to the Tennessee state capitol, about 5 blocks away from Ryman. A Greek revival style building designed by William Strickland( he also designed the Second Bank of the United States building in Philadelphia), the buiding and grounds make for an interesting visit. The grounds feature the graves of President and Mrs Polk, an equestrian statue of Andrew Jackson, and statues of President Andrew Johnson and WWI hero(and Michael Hoffman compatriot) Alvin York. Regrettably one must now pass through a metal detector to visit the building(a sad sign of the times). The building was filled with student visitors. I remember the portraits of the two brothers who ran against each other for governor(both of whom eventually won election as governor). There is also a second story bust of Nathan Bedfod Forrest, perhaps the greatest cavalry officer of the Civil War but whose pre-war career as a slave trader and post-war accomplishment of being one of the founders of the Ku Klux Klan have won him historical infamy. I wonder how African_American folks feel about this. I know I don't like it.
    Walked around downtown a bit longer, visiting Ernest Tubb's record store and the Charley Daniels museum. Mr. Daniels apparently had his picture taken with every entertainment and sports figure who ever came within ten yards of him but it was fun to look at his stuff.
    Drove back to Elliston Place and a lunch hamburger on French bread at Rotier's(reviewed on this site. See review for picture of burger) They also had Shiner Bock on tap. Both made lunch quite excellent.
    Drove 40 miles to Coumbia and visited the james Polk home. It is actually his father's home but it is filled with President Polk's furniture because he died two months after leaving office and after building a retirement home in Nashville that he never really lived in.
    Ate at Stan's Country restaurant(reviewed on this site). Roadfooder Poverty Pete told me this store was the model for Cracker Barrel design, though Stan's is real and Cracker Barrel faux. The white beans were good, as were the turnip greens. I had my first taste of crackling corn bread which I dd not like but I was glad to get the chance to try it.
    While driving back to my hotel, Travelin Man(Steve Koe) called me out of the blue and suggested we meet at the Vanderbilt-Florida baseball game in an hour and a half. Since i had been stuck trying to get on the beltway for ten minutes, it was an opportune time to call. Vandy's best pitcher, a virtually certain top choice in the baseball draft was pitching. Steve and I got to the park seperately, watched the kid strike out 12 with a 90 plus fastball and a wicked change. Vandy won 10-1(more to come)
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Other places from the nashville roadfood tour 2007/05/04 11:06:04 (permalink)
    Day 2 was the tour. I went to the Loveless Cafe for breakfast to meet fellow-roadfooders even though I was not going on the morning tour. It was wonderful meetinig Al the Mayor, his wife and the yorkies, Sundancer, Buffetbuster, and so many others. The Loveless Cafe breakfast was wonderful and I loved meeting some folks from Alexandria, Virginia who were delightful companion as was their friend from Georgia. The biscuits were dynamite. Travelin Man and I went to the McNeill's Produce Stand(reviewed on this site), The fresh fruit was good, the conversation better. The owner talked about slaughtering his hog and making crackling and told us about a couple of nearby retaurants that he thought were better than the Loveless. TTM went to Hays Smokehouse in Lexington and I went to the Natchez Trace Parkway. While driving I saw a sign for Leopers Fork(only a mile away) and decided to go to Puckett's Grocery. I pulled in just as the bus left and a couple of the camera crew worried that I had missed the bus. I assured them them I had not. I sampled the peach cobbler and had my first sunshine mello soft drink. Drove from Leipers Fork(a delightful collection of old houses) to Franklin. Old Horse farms, rolling hills, a gorgeous drive in a mostly suburban county. Franklin was having its annual festival and main street was crowded with people and vendors. My stop was Meridee's breadbasket (reviewed on this site)for a cheese pimento sandwich. The flavors mix well together and the bread was first rate. Well worth the wait.
    I did the afternoon tour which has been chronicled well. I spent my evening at the Grand Old Opry. The building is located at the end of a long drive at a shopping mall. A huge crowd was trying out for the game show "Deal or No Deal" which made parking problematic. The OPRY itself was well worth the wait. I had front row seats and was able to see the performers really up close. Little Jimmy Dickens wore a suit with enough lights to make Times Square appear almost dark. Porter Waggoner(boo)the former antagonist of my beloved Dolly, hosted a segment, as did Whisperin' Bill Anderson and Jim Ed Brown. Trace Adkins performed 3 songs and I thought women would start fainting, Brenda Lee performed and winked at me in the front row and Bill Anderson made a joke about my beard and shirt. I was very impressed by a singer from Del Rio, Texas who looked like Buddy Holly and had one of the best voices I'd heard in a while. I've seen him on CMT but I don't know his name. A wondrous experience.
    Sunday brunch at Ellendale's was wonderful. Located in an old house, the place has wonderful atmosphere and great food. P.C. Diva was there, Poverty Pete, Travelin' Man, Al the Mayor and Rick F and their wonderful wives, Ellen. Al often says these meets are a great way to make friends and he is right.I hope there will be many more regional meets. There are not a lot of us here in Oregon but I have liked the people I've met.
    The afternoon was spent at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum. The displays on the history of country music are first rate and there are some memorable mementos(one of Mr Cash's black suit, a headband from Willie Nelson. dresses from Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn and Dolly. I heard Jimmy Rogers(the twenties country star) for the first time and was fascinated by the resemblance of his music to the legendary southern blues men with whom I am more familiar. He was awfully good.
    The best exhibition was about Ray Charles and his country music records and songs. There were clips of Mr. Charles from his appearances on the Johnny Cash show and duets he had done with George Jones, Willie Nelson, Hank Williams Jr. I learned a lot about Mr. Charles and his genuine affection for country music. The Hall of Fame is infinitely better than when i visited 30 years ago.
    A visit to RCA Studio B was an appealing extra. Elvis recorded 70% of his songs there and many other great artists(Jim Reeves,Eddie Arnold, the Everly's, Waylon. Charley Pride) also recorded there under Chet Atkins supervision. The walls did have ears.
    Travelin Man saved my evening. He invited me to sup at the Loveless so I went there with him, Ellen, and an admissions officer from a small Eastern liberal arts school. The company was excellent as were the fried chicken, southern veggies, endless biscuits, and banana pudding.
    Nashville is a great eating city but it is a lot of fun just to visit. It was one of the best solo trips I've ever had.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10518
    RE: Other places from the nashville roadfood tour 2007/05/04 11:18:43 (permalink)
    mr chips-
    Thanks for the report! You certainly are adventurous and have lots of interests. I would very much have enjoyed being able to tour the state capitol with you (I went at 9:00 AM on Friday along with seemingly every 5th grader from Knox County) and wish we had set that up ahead of time.

If you go to Austin next year, maybe we can do the state capitol, a presidential library or a Round Rock minor league game together.
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3010
    RE: Other places from the nashville roadfood tour 2007/05/04 11:25:41 (permalink)
    I did the 3pm tour right after Kingfish and the Farmer's Market. The Military Museum was quit interesting with several very intricate model ships.
    Art Deco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 890
    RE: Other places from the nashville roadfood tour 2007/05/04 13:00:33 (permalink)
    That GOO singer from Del Rio, Texas was probably Radney Foster, who does indeed have a great voice...
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Other places from the nashville roadfood tour 2007/05/04 22:48:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by buffetbuster

mr chips-
    Thanks for the report! You certainly are adventurous and have lots of interests. I would very much have enjoyed being able to tour the state capitol with you (I went at 9:00 AM on Friday along with seemingly every 5th grader from Knox County) and wish we had set that up ahead of time.

If you go to Austin next year, maybe we can do the state capitol, a presidential library or a Round Rock minor league game together.
    That is an excellent idea! On the afternoon tour, Michael Stern talked about a place in Johnson City,Texas that he said had the best chicken fried steak he had ever tasted. it is close enough to Austin and the LBJ ranch to check out.
    RibRater
    RE: Other places from the nashville roadfood tour 2007/05/05 04:24:59 (permalink)
    http://www.texasbbqtrail.com/

If I spend much more time on that site I'll be in texas LONG before the next roadfood sanctioned trip.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10518
    RE: Other places from the nashville roadfood tour 2007/05/05 09:13:34 (permalink)
    Did anyone else go over to the Opryland Hotel while they were in Nashville last weekend? The Red Hat Club was having their annual convention. From what one of them told me, there were over 4,000 of them from 49 states and five countries, all wearing purple clothing with red hats. It was quite a sight to see!
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3010
    RE: Other places from the nashville roadfood tour 2007/05/05 09:22:15 (permalink)
    We ran into quit a few at the airport...love the hats!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1