"Otto's barbecue" closed

Author
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 992
2008/01/16 17:57:58 (permalink)

"Otto's barbecue" closed

The original "Otto's barbecue" on Memorial in Houston has been sold to real estate developers, and closed earlier this month. I was fortunate enough to have eaten a large "Bush Special" there in December. This was touted as a favorite of George and Barbara Bush and other famous Houstonians. They were known for their burgers as well as their brisket, but my favorite was their barbecued sausage links. I'll just have to stay with "Goode & Co" when I get back to Houston.

The Houston Business Journal indicates that the franchised locations will probably stay open, but the owners of the original have decided to call it quits.

18 Replies Related Threads

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10285
    RE: "Otto's barbecue" closed 2008/01/16 18:26:10 (permalink)
    Hillbilly-
    Thanks for letting us know. Truthfully, I had no idea there were other locations of Otto's. Coming on the heels of Williams Smokehouse burning down, this is bad news. I too, will be headed for Goode & Co. when I am in Houston in April.
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: "Otto's barbecue" closed 2008/01/16 18:47:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by buffetbuster

Hillbilly-
    Thanks for letting us know. Truthfully, I had no idea there were other locations of Otto's. Coming on the heels of Williams Smokehouse burning down, this is bad news. I too, will be headed for Goode & Co. when I am in Houston in April.

If you aren't familiar with Goode & Co, you should know that they have 3 restaurants, all called Goode Company, within 2 blocks. The barbecue is on Kirby, just south of the Southwest Freeway; the hamburgers and taqueria is on the southwest corner of Kirby and Westpark; and the seafood restaurant is just behind burger-taq on Westpark. All 3 are excellent. The Saturday and Sunday breakfast at the burger-taq is outstanding, especially the chorizo mixed into scrambled eggs. I spent the last 2 months at the Courtyard just a couple of blocks down on Westpark.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: "Otto's barbecue" closed 2008/01/16 19:00:59 (permalink)
    Hillbilly-
    You eat great everywhere you go!

I have only eaten at the Goode Co. BBQ and I was aware of the seafood restaurant. But, I did not know about the burger-taq with the great breakfast. I just may end up there on my upcoming trip. Thanks for the tip!

wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4611
    RE: "Otto's barbecue" closed 2008/01/16 19:25:36 (permalink)
    Good Co. Burger-Taq is outstanding.

I'm glad to have been to Otto's, but I was still partial to Goode Company on Kirby.

Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: "Otto's barbecue" closed 2008/01/16 19:57:10 (permalink)
    quote:

Hillbilly-
    You eat great everywhere you go!

I have only eaten at the Goode Co. BBQ and I was aware of the seafood restaurant. But, I did not know about the burger-taq with the great breakfast. I just may end up there on my upcoming trip. Thanks for the tip!

While you're in town, check out another of the Sterns' recommendations- La Mexicana on the corner of Fairview and Montrose. After our first visit, my whole crew of 8 guys and 1 gal wanted to go back about every night. I suspect it was as much for the margaritas as for the outstanding food. Check out Michael's write up in the Restaurants section for details.

Incidentally, we wound up at Goode Company by following "Roadfood" write up also. That's how I find most of the great places I eat all across the country. From the Sterns and from the rest of you folks on these forums. And from meeting up with roadfooders, like the Sunday morning breakfast you treated me to at Pamela's in Pittsburg a few months back.

Hey, number 1000!!
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4625
    RE: "Otto's barbecue" closed 2008/01/16 21:32:13 (permalink)
    congratulations HB! that was a long slow crawl
    Texianjoe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 639
    RE: "Otto's barbecue" closed 2008/01/18 11:45:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    While you're in town, check out another of the Sterns' recommendations- La Mexicana on the corner of Fairview and Montrose. After our first visit, my whole crew of 8 guys and 1 gal wanted to go back about every night. I suspect it was as much for the margaritas as for the outstanding food. Check out Michael's write up in the Restaurants section for details.

In the same neighborhood is La Guadalupana, voted best breakfast by the Houston Chronicle. I try to make it once a month for Sat. breakfast. If you get a chance try it. They have what is called in Mexico Cafe de Olla, coffee with a tinge of chocolate, MMMMM.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/dining/cook/4788785.html

joe
    amini1
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 49
    RE: "Otto's barbecue" closed 2008/01/19 23:09:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Hillbilly

La Mexicana has the best breakfast tacos I've ever had. I'm partial to chorizo and egg. I've eaten there once for lunch and it was okay. I actually thought the margarita's were rather plain. I usually do Herradura or El Tesoro to get the best marg places offer. I only had one item on a huge menu so I don't consider it a remotely good sample size.

Sorry to hear about Otto's. Williams was so sad and now this. Some day I'll try Goode Co. The line is always too long for lunch so I never stop.
    Pyewacket
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: "Otto's barbecue" closed 2008/02/18 15:13:35 (permalink)
    I had heard that Otto's property was for sale so I drove by on Feb. 15th and the parking lot was full and the "OPEN" sign on. Hope it's true.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: "Otto's barbecue" closed 2008/02/19 22:39:13 (permalink)
    Pyemarket-
    That is wonderful news, but I am a little confused by the conflicting reports. Did you go to the one on Memorial?
    brentk
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 251
    RE: "Otto's barbecue" closed 2008/03/04 20:34:22 (permalink)
    Spending a few days in Houston and happened to drive by Otto's on Memorial tonight. Saw that it was opened so went in. I asked about the rumors that it had closed and was told that it might close in a few months.

Had a Bush Special for old times sake but left feeling rather unsatisfied. It's not that it was bad, it just wasn't great. I think the old lady has had her run and I doubt I would make the effort to stop again even if it remains around.
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: "Otto's barbecue" closed 2008/03/05 08:25:16 (permalink)
    I guess the Houston Business Journal reported the demise prematurely. Probably should have driven by to see for myself instead of believing what I read in the paper. I even deprived myself of another run at their "hot links".

I'll do better next time.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: "Otto's barbecue" closed 2008/03/05 08:35:04 (permalink)
    Since I am going to be in Houston next month, I also considered stopping in at Otto's for old time's sake. But if the food isn't up to par, there are many other better places to go.
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: "Otto's barbecue" closed 2008/03/05 13:44:39 (permalink)
    quote:

Since I am going to be in Houston next month, I also considered stopping in at Otto's for old time's sake. But if the food isn't up to par, there are many other better places to go.

Goode is better. And better is always gooder.
    maureyrd
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: "Otto's barbecue" closed 2008/03/27 13:14:46 (permalink)
    There are many better places to get a burger in town aside from Otto's, many of which have been posted about on here: Lankford Grocery, Christian's Totem, Rudyard's (Rudz, to the locals), Bellaire Broiler, Southwell's.....

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7836
    RE: "Otto's barbecue" closed 2008/03/27 13:15:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by maureyrd

There are many better places to get a burger in town aside from Otto's, many of which have been posted about on here: Lankford Grocery, Christian's Totem, Rudyard's (Rudz, to the locals), Bellaire Broiler, Southwell's.....

I have a feeling everyone was talking about Otto's BBQ- not burgers..
    plb
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1030
    RE: "Otto's barbecue" closed 2008/04/16 22:11:56 (permalink)
    Still there as of today, April 16th, serving burgers and BBQ at 5502 Memorial.
    diotravels
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: "Otto's barbecue" closed 2008/05/02 11:00:53 (permalink)
    May 1, 2008 - just called Otto's on Memorial and they are still open. It's true, the land is up for sale, but no takers yet, so they are still there serving breakfast and lunch. Lunch starts at 11:00 if you are hungry - I still like Goode Company better, but ya go for the atmosphere.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1