The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Our Kids are going BLIND!

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
  • Roadfood Insider
Our Kids are going BLIND! Wed, 11/9/11 4:01 PM (permalink)
I just spent the day with my Lions Club doing vision screening in our local Elementary and Middle School.  We screened 137 First or Third Graders, 53 of them passed with 20/20 vision, the rest of them had vision worse than 20/20 (which in Indiana means they are referred to an eye doctor).

The 8th graders there were 328 students and only 79 passed with 20/20, another 38 marginally passed with 20/30.  The rest were worse than 20/30, and several of the kids were 20/200 or worse.

6star

• Total Posts: 4388
    Re:Our Kids are going BLIND! Wed, 11/9/11 5:17 PM (permalink)
    I could say it is due to too much time watching TV, too much time staring at smart phones while texting (or reading texting), too much time spent in front of a computer screen instead of outside playing, but this is the easy "non-answer".  Adults do these things too, some who work in an office spending a majority of their work time staring at a computer screen. 

Perhaps, since vision loss is gradual with no pain involved, the kids (and parents) were unaware of it happening, and with money tight, they were not about to spend any on something they were not sure about.  The Lions Club performs a valuable service.

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
      Re:Our Kids are going BLIND! Wed, 11/9/11 5:18 PM (permalink)
      Computer screens!

jman

• Total Posts: 1276
        Re:Our Kids are going BLIND! Wed, 11/9/11 6:11 PM (permalink)
        Video games!

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9552
          Re:Our Kids are going BLIND! Thu, 11/10/11 2:46 AM (permalink)
          I've not been able to find any scientific studies that say Video Games, TV or Computer Screens cause poor eyesight in Children. I'll keep looking. Found this though:
          http://www.aoa.org/x5379.xml
          One reason more eyesight problems are surfacing is because more eye testing is being done with better equipment in our schools. My 52 year old son was dyslexic. It wasn't discovered until he was a Senior in High School! It wasn't discovered due to lack of testing at that time.
          There is direct correlation between vision problems and behaviorial problems.
          http://thinkaboutyoureyes.com/kids-vision/kids-vision
          According to the Vision Council of America, 1 in every 4 children has a vision problem that can interfere with learning and behavior. 80% of everything children learn comes through their eyes. Uncorrected vision problems impact their ability to learn and interact with the world around them.

Glenn1234

• Total Posts: 509
            Re:Our Kids are going BLIND! Thu, 11/10/11 6:31 PM (permalink)

Are you sure that the testing screens were calibrated correctly, or the kids were tested from the correct distance away from the chart?   You said several were 20/200 or worse.  As you know, below 20/200 is considered "legally blind".  It's hard to believe that they could function in classroom at that vision level without some sort of reading aids, or having the teachers notice that they were having a problem?  

Glenn  

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
              • Roadfood Insider
              Re:Our Kids are going BLIND! Thu, 11/10/11 8:58 PM (permalink)
              Glenn

The optic machines were calibrated in October.  The several kids we had that tested that level had trouble reading the top lines and two said they saw shapes but could not make out the letters.

When we are testing 1st & 3rd graders we usually find this more than the when we screen the 8th graders.

The kids that did not pass will be rescreened and referred to an eye doctor.

Today I had a girl that could read the 20/50 line but the letters came out all the wrong order.  I brought it to the attention of her teacher and the school nurse.  The teacher said she had been struggling in the class.  They are going to do some testing tomorrow for the dyslexia.

It is really amazing how many of these kids struggle with seeing.  It is a good feeling to help.

Glenn1234

• Total Posts: 509
                Re:Our Kids are going BLIND! Thu, 11/10/11 9:33 PM (permalink)

CajunKing -

Those stats of so many kids having vision problems is amazing.  Good to hear you are helping out.   

Glenn

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com