Our Roadfood Honeymoon

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13548
RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/09/01 13:35:42 (permalink)
Cheesewit:

Young's lobster pound has three locations in Belfast. The neatest one is off the route and on the water. It is huge and there are thousands of lobsters there. It is a little like you described with your other experience as you place your order and they pick it out of the stainless steel vats that contain thousands of lobsters, put it in a net and call your number when it is complete, generally in about 20 minutes. I got corn on the cob, brought my own beer which was the blueberry ale bought in Bar Harbour, cole slaw, potato salad and some local chips.

The setting was spectacular as it overlooked the bay with numerous sailing vessels, fishing boats, lobster boats and the ambiance of the water.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
CheeseWit
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1394
RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/09/01 13:53:08 (permalink)
Paul, I saw the directional sign for Young's off of Rt. 1 and had a copy of your post about it. I planned on going there, but never made it. Gives me something to look forward to next trip.
CheeseWit
RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/09/01 14:03:53 (permalink)
Well, we took a break from eating and didn't have dinner that evening after our lobsters. We walked in town and shopped a bit that night. We both decided that the next morning we would watch the sunrise on top of Cadillac Mountain. It is said that you are among the first in the U.S. to see the sunrise.

We awoke at 4 and were on the summit by 5am. The weather turned cooler overnight and by the time we reached the summit, the exterior thermometer in my car read 48 degrees f. With the 20 mile an hour wind up there, it was quite cold. We dressed appropriately and with about 50 other hardy souls, we watched a beautiful sunrise on Sunday Aug. 24.

I got some awesome photos of the sunrise and we congratulated ourselves on getting up so early on a Sunday on our honeymoon.

We drove back into town and had breakfast at Tapley's Grill and Variety Store. They open at 5am and serve the locals. We enjoyed the downhome goodness on a plate. I had a western omelette with cheese and Jane had the single blueberry pancake that was the size of the dinner plate. We split a warm cinnamon bun fresh from the oven.

A late lunch was had at Rupununi on Main Street in Bar Harbor. It was chilly, but we still ate outside. I'll tell you about it soon.
Mayhaw Man
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 589
RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/09/01 14:32:26 (permalink)
Cheesewit,
I'm not sure when you are able to get up that early on your honeymoon if congratulations or condolences are in order! " />
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/09/01 16:12:10 (permalink)
I was on top of Cadillac Mountain the Sunday after 9/11. I thought the view on top of Cadillac Mountain was one of the most spectacular I have ever seen and I have driven all 50 states. The omni direction view of the Atlantic, bay and Maine vistas were beautiful. Congrats on getting up early enought to record the sun coming up over the Atlantic.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
CheeseWit
RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/09/01 16:36:04 (permalink)
Yes, the view from Cadillac Mountain is breathtaking. We're both early risers-Jane, being a pastry chef, had to be in the restaurants very early and I was in food manufacturing and spent some time opening up the plant early for production.

Our lunch at Rupununi in Bar Harbor was good. I opted for a cheeseburger with grilled onions and peppers on top, fries, and a cup of clam chowder. The chowder was thinner than I prefer, but tasty nonetheless. Jane started with lobster bisque and had the Mountain o' Mussels in a thai dipping sauce with kasha bread perfect for dipping. She enjoyed her bisque, loved the dipping sauce and bread, but wished the mussels were bigger.

Dinner that night was at Geddy's on Main Street in Bar Harbor. This popular restaurant/bar is decorated with Bar Harbor and Maine memorabilia. There were plenty of tables with families and the bar was crowded. Most nights there is live music and on this night we enjoyed a solo singer/guitarist who played Buffet, Fogelberg, Croce, etc. Great songs that most sang along with. The food is quite good and quite plentiful. We shared an order of chips and guacamole that was definitely freshly made. I ordered the steak burrito and when it arrived I was blown away by the enormous size. In fact, I could not finish it. Jane had "Lobsta' Pasta"-spinach fettucine with nice size lobster chunks in a creamy blush sauce. Once again, a tremendous portion.

We were stuffed and needed to walk in town. We ended our walk by sitting on park benches in front of CJ's Ice Cream Parlor to people watch. We did not have any ice cream that night; just enjoyed the parade of vacationers walking past.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/09/01 16:40:43 (permalink)
I did some great pictures at the park across from the ice cream parlor and I thought the setting was great for a relaxing honeymoon. I had a great cup of coffee there with some ice cream from CJ's.

I am glad you enjoyed your trip.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
CheeseWit
RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/09/02 17:22:37 (permalink)
Our last morning in Bar Harbor, Mon. August 25, we went to Jordan's on Cottage Street for breakfast. This is THE breakfast place in B.H. Jane ordered the cheese and potato omelette and I had the wild blueberry pancakes that are so popular here. We also split a couple of blueberry muffins. The pancakes(2) were thick and plate sized. Our breakfast was filling which was good as we set out on our longest drive of the trip.

We left Bar Harbor and headed to Newfane, Vermont, a seven hour drive. Newfane is in southern Vermont near Brattleboro. We checked into our inn and enjoyed dinner in their restaurant. Jane started with sauteed sweetbreads w/lemon mayo and spinach. I had the lobster ravioli appetizer. Jane's entree was a rather large grilled sirloin and I had a veal t-bone. We enjoyed our dinners.

Breakfast the next morning was served in the dining room and we enjoyed the french toast souffle. Our lunch was a true roadfood experience. We drove up to Grafton and stopped into the Grafton Cheese Company. We sampled their award winning cheddars and bought a 1/4 lb. block of 3 year old cheddar, a hot & sweet mustard, a coarse grain with maple mustard, and a box of Vermont Common Crackers. We drove off and stopped at a smoked meat store where we bought a 1/4 lb. of cob smoked turkey, a Stewart's Orange & Cream and a bottled water to drink. Outside the store was a picnic table where we ate our roadside lunch of turkey and cheddar on crackers.

I'll report on our great roadfood find for dinner in my next post.
chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/09/02 17:37:02 (permalink)
I have enjoyed your report so much.........I have been to many of the places that you enjoyed......sounds like you had a great time. BUT, it is going to be hard for me to forgive you for not getting a lobster roll at the Clam Shack in Kennebunkport!! We have enjoyed dinner at the White Barn Inn many times but have never stayed there. I am looking forward to your further New England adventures.
CheeseWit
RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/09/02 17:41:54 (permalink)
I know...I know...should've had the lobster roll at The Clam Shack. My mistake. I'm sorry. I'll be better next time...lol.
quote:
Originally posted by chezkatie

I have enjoyed your report so much.........I have been to many of the places that you enjoyed......sounds like you had a great time. BUT, it is going to be hard for me to forgive you for not getting a lobster roll at the Clam Shack in Kennebunkport!! We have enjoyed dinner at the White Barn Inn many times but have never stayed there. I am looking forward to your further New England adventures.
Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/09/02 17:45:10 (permalink)
Cheesewit - thank you for sharing your lovely New England honeymoon with us! What a wonderful way to begin your marriage.

Mr. Mayhaw, all of my childrens friends use Mr. and Mrs. when addressing us. If they have know us forever, it is permissible to use "Miz Kelly", or "Miz E." instead of my surname.

All the kids use it in these parts.
chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/09/02 18:49:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CheeseWit

I know...I know...should've had the lobster roll at The Clam Shack. My mistake. I'm sorry. I'll be better next time...lol.

Originally posted by chezkatie

OK I forgive you but I am your elder and insist that you go there for a lobster roll when you return to celebrate your 5th wedding anniversay! And make sure that you have blueberry pie in Maine when the two of you return.
Linda Gebhardt
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 61
RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/09/02 19:53:38 (permalink)
CheeseWit, I'm throughly enjoying your posts of your foodie honeymoon. Thank you for sharing. I have to go and find me something to munch on now.:)
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7956
RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/09/02 20:00:16 (permalink)
Cheesewit,

I think your travelogue is really cool, It's like we are all there to share your New England Road Food experience. Again, congrats to you and Jane Dough.

The Wandering Jew
ocdreamr
  • Total Posts : 1110
RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/09/02 21:25:05 (permalink)
Cheesewit,

I have only this to say - I'm jealous!!
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/09/02 22:42:29 (permalink)
Well, all I know is that next time I make it up there, I'm going to have a Lobster Roll at the Kennebunkport Clam Shack!!

CW, once again, I love reading about your trip. What I think we need now is a "second opinion" from Jane!!
CheeseWit
RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/09/02 23:10:36 (permalink)
To everyone who has read and enjoyed my posts: Thank you!! For me,the best part of this website is the sharing of ideas and experiences. I'm very happy that some of you took the time to write, let alone read this thread.

I have to report on a real roadfood find that Jane and I are still talking about.

For our last night in Vermont (and the last night of our honeymoon), we decided to try a restaurant that was listed in a brochure we found in the lobby area of the inn we stayed at (Four Columns Inn). It's name: Green Mountain Mama's. Located at 105 Canal St. (Rt. 5) in Brattleboro, it can only be described as a hole in the wall.

The restaurant has had a few incarnations including Ray's-a burger place. It was a diner at one time and the original diner's curved roof is evident from the outside. Upon entering, you are at the counter of the old diner. There is a small dining room in the back and a patio with a few tables for outdoor dining.

We went there after reading that they have a Mexican menu (including breakfast)prepared by Chef Daniel of Vera Cruz, Mexico. We had no idea it would be so authentic.

Upon entering, we were greeted by Jimmy who introduced himself as our waiter after seating us. He offered to go across the street to a store that sells beer and wine if we wanted that. We declined that offer, but took him up on his offer to make fresh lemonade for us. Jane had the lemonade and I went for a Coke.

The dinner menu only has 11 items on it. A few specials are listed on signs in the dining room. Our entrees arrived within minutes of ordering. The portions were both large and nicely designed by Chef Daniel. Jane has stayed in Vera Cruz, Mexico and declared the food authentic to the region. Jane had chicken quesadillas ($10.95)and I had the Platillos Exoticos-a platter of warm tortillas with shredded beef or chicken or veggies, served with the three house salsas, chips, black beans, and rice ($12.95).

We were able to chat with Chef Daniel, or I should say, Jane was able to chat with Daniel in Spanish and he was excited and passionate about the food. We told him of our roadfood honeymoon and our intentions of posting a review of the food we ate on our trip. He told us that Green Mountain Mama's has been open only since October 2002 and that he uses his mom's recipes. By the way, "Mama" is owner Melanie Martin.

They don't have enough money to advertise, so they rely on word of mouth. This is a must-stop for any roadfood afficianado. The phone number is 802-258-4441. They are open Sunday and Monday 5am-3pm and Tues to Saturday 5am-10pm; the Mexican dinner menu is available 2pm -10pm Tues. to Sat. Please try this restaurant out and tell your friends.

I have one more stop to tell you about soon.
Laughing Goddess
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 89
RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/09/02 23:33:52 (permalink)
CheeseWit, check that phone number. I think Vermont's area code is 802. And thank you so much for that posting!
CheeseWit
RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/09/03 00:00:11 (permalink)
You're correct. I will edit that now.
quote:
Originally posted by Laughing Goddess

CheeseWit, check that phone number. I think Vermont's area code is 802. And thank you so much for that posting!
RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2189
RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/09/03 07:36:38 (permalink)
Cheesewit, one nosey question for you and Jane Dough - what type of food did you have for your wedding reception or did you whisk right off to your Fabulous Food Honeymoon?
CheeseWit
RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/09/03 08:30:14 (permalink)
I don't consider your question nosy. We had a luncheon reception after our ceremony on Sun. Aug. 17. There was a cocktail hour where hors d'oeurves were served...cheese puff pastries, rice knishes, gazpacho shots, salmon on crackers, and stuffed mushrooms.

Lunch was mesclun salad with a vinaigrette, your choice of grilled salmon with garlic mashed Yukon Gold potatoes and steamed vegetables, or tortellini in a sun dried tomato vodka blush sauce. Dessert was a slice of our white chocolate and buttercream wedding cake served with a scoop of coffee ice cream in a chocolate cup.

We didn't have time to eat our meals at the wedding. Later that night we ordered a pizza with chicken steak topping from a local pizzeria.

We left for our honeymoon the next morning.

quote:
Originally posted by RubyRose

Cheesewit, one nosey question for you and Jane Dough - what type of food did you have for your wedding reception or did you whisk right off to your Fabulous Food Honeymoon?
CheeseWit
RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/09/03 08:51:56 (permalink)
Ok, here's the end of our roadfood honeymoon trip.

Our last day of the trip started with a continental breakfast at our inn in Vermont. The hot selections included a ham and cheese quiche. It was crustless, but quite good.

We checked out of the inn and started back to the Philadelphia area. I had one last idea for a late lunch/dinner as we got closer to our area.

We went to The New New York Deli Restaurant on Rt. 1 in Lawrenceville, NJ near the Quakerbridge Mall between Princeton and Trenton.

This diner cum deli is the best bet for deli outside of the NYC area. The menu consists of 6 tall pages with everything from eggs to steaks and many deli sandwiches. There is a self serve pickle bar with a variety of pickles, pickled tomatoes, and health salad (a vinegar based cabbage slaw).

I opted for my usual triple decker corned beef, pastrami, cole slaw, and Russian dressing on fresh rye bread. Jane ordered hot tongue on rye and we split an order of very tasty steak fries.

The dessert menu is extensive and the cakes and pastries on display were very tempting. I was stuffed, but Jane had to try the chocolate cheesecake. She's a pastry chef and needed a fix of New York style cheesecake. She loved it, but the slice was enough for three and asked for a container to take the rest home.

It was the perfect ending of our roadfood honeymoon and the perfect last meal before our healthy eating program!
howard8
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 355
RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/09/03 08:54:09 (permalink)
CheeseWit:
Your honeymoon roadtrip sounds so good, I just might marry my girlfriend and try your itinerary for our honeymoon.
Mayhaw Man
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/09/03 08:58:39 (permalink)
Cheesewit,
Enjoyed your Honeymoonlogue. When's the next trip?

Good Luck

Mayhaw Man
CheeseWit
RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/09/03 09:13:19 (permalink)
The roadfood honeymoon idea grew out of our mutual love for food and going to a mix of fine restaurants and roadfood stops. I love to drive, my wife, as it turns out, is an excellent map reader, and the two of us enjoyed the trip immensely.
quote:
Originally posted by howard8

CheeseWit:
Your honeymoon roadtrip sounds so good, I just might marry my girlfriend and try your itinerary for our honeymoon.
CheeseWit
RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/09/03 09:17:40 (permalink)
Mayhaw Man, my wife hasn't been on my "cheesesteak tour" yet. We're trying to eat healthy right now, but the smell of onions frying and the lure of cheese melting on grilled thin sandwich steak is overwhelming. Bushie has expressed interest in going on the tour and is trying to fit a trip up here in his schedule. Mmmmmm...I can taste the steaks now.
quote:
Originally posted by Mayhaw Man

Cheesewit,
Enjoyed your Honeymoonlogue. When's the next trip?

Good Luck

Mayhaw Man
Mayhaw Man
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/09/03 09:37:54 (permalink)
I suppose the next tour after the cheesesteak tour will be a tour of the "Great Antacid Aisles of American Pharmacies"" />
CheeseWit
RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/09/03 10:17:31 (permalink)
Mayhaw, no doubt. I have a pretty good stomach now that I take a daily med for reflux. We also have to get down your way and eat some of my other favorite foods: po boys, jambalaya, gumbo, crawfish etoufee, bbq shrimp, and that seasonal treat, King bread.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/09/03 10:24:00 (permalink)
Y'all are torturing me! I haven't had breakfast yet.

It appears there just isn't enough time to work for a living and take all the required food tours. I'm submitting my resignation today. Mayhaw, I'll swing through Looooosiana and pick you up on the way to CheeseWit's. Be packed and ready by noon Friday...
CheeseWit
RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/09/03 10:28:25 (permalink)
Bushie, if I had my choice of tortures, food torture would be high on my list. I won't reveal my other choices here as this is a family oriented site.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1